Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving camera

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

milligan2 wrote:
    Sounds like exactly what I need,is there an app to test the speeds?

Network speed test from the app store. Pick urself up a network u locked dongle and try the Sims. Or trial the operator's and if speed no good just return it with in a few days. Most take it back within 14 days. To test in my area I just used network speed app and asked buddies on different networks to call to shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

maidhc wrote: »
    Setting up a CCTV system is almost as complex as plugging in a skybox!

You don't need to have a PSA licence to install a calving camera. Technically you do for CCTV intended to detect an intruder, but not just to see what is going on around the place or if the mother in law is about!

Needing to be able to read tags at 60 foot is probably OTT. My cheapo swann one is quite adequate though to see what is happening in the shed. Attached is what is going on now in the black dark!

I use this to transmit at the moment with a Eir Sim Card: https://www.maplin.ie/p/tp-link-archer-mr200-4g-lte-wifi-router-with-sim-card-slot-a54xu . I is "grand" but not as quick as id like. I dug the channel for the CAT5 today, so at some point I'll get it on proper broadband.

Do you need a licence to install a security camera? I asked my electrician and he refused as he isn't PSA registered.

B Rabbit wrote:
    I'm thinking that most cheapish phone plans cost ~20e /month for 20gb?

B Rabbit wrote:
    For people using a sim for the data in a shed, how much data is it using? Wouldn't it be dear ? or does the camera use very little data per month?

B Rabbit wrote:
    Data usage stats for the cameras would be really useful.

B Rabbit wrote:
    Our shed is a distance from our home house which means using the existing broadband is out.

I have mine up and running nearly 2 months. Checking them few times a day. Stayed on a good bit a few days watching an animal I was worried about. And have only used 6 gb. Can do the maths on it at the weekend and see how much for halfhour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

maidhc wrote: »
    Setting up a CCTV system is almost as complex as plugging in a skybox!

You don't need to have a PSA licence to install a calving camera. Technically you do for CCTV intended to detect an intruder, but not just to see what is going on around the place or if the mother in law is about!

Needing to be able to read tags at 60 foot is probably OTT. My cheapo swann one is quite adequate though to see what is happening in the shed. Attached is what is going on now in the black dark!

I use this to transmit at the moment with a Eir Sim Card: https://www.maplin.ie/p/tp-link-archer-mr200-4g-lte-wifi-router-with-sim-card-slot-a54xu . I is "grand" but not as quick as id like. I dug the channel for the CAT5 today, so at some point I'll get it on proper broadband.

How long did it take to set that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Do you need a licence to install a security camera? I asked my electrician and he refused as he isn't PSA registered.

Only if you’re paid to do it
    You can install your own fine

Anyway you are installing them to keep an eye on the cattle who sometimes have a habit of breaking out and trouncing your garden
    So you’ll need a camera at the front and back of the house to ensure you know that’s happening..,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

tellmeabit wrote: »
    I have mine up and running nearly 2 months. Checking them few times a day. Stayed on a good bit a few days watching an animal I was worried about. And have only used 6 gb. Can do the maths on it at the weekend and see how much for halfhour.

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Anyone any info on mgl security the do calving cameras in laois. They have adds on donedeal. Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

You do for a “security” camera, but not a calving camera! Once I assured my electrician that he wasn’t breaking the law he was happy to oblige!

I set the camera up later with the router, it took about 20 mins and basically involves installing an app and scanning a qr code.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 5 wheel drive

Hi lads. Can anyone give a run down on all the steps involved in setting up a ptz from scratch.

I have 4 old analog cameras set up in shed and then a 12pair Polly Polly cable to the house and box in house to connect to tv. It’s set up with BNC connectors and local power supply in shed. It’s only ok and not connected to internet.

I want to set up a ptz but don’t want to pay through the nose for it.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Yes, pic quality is excellent as is his standard of workmanship. I've read tags in the dark off my neighbours phone.

He's fully insured and licenced to install security cameras which I want as legislation demands certification to have them

Forget to say make sure they are covered on your insurance as covered for lighting strikes and power surges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Put on the kettle for this one. Lots of reading;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056741425

I set up mine with 2 nanostations and a foscam camera about 5 years ago following the thread above. Cost me €200 at the time. Used it today and still going strong without any issues since.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Went to check a cow last night on the calving camera and half the view was blocked by fresh cobwebs and a spider that looked bigger than the cow. Not the kind of thing you"d be expecting.

We had the same here put a glove on a pole and wiped the web off every evening - if you can get up and move the spider or put some peppermint oil around it. Otherwise the spider will rebuild the web every night and break your heart! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Forget to say make sure they are covered on your insurance as covered for lighting strikes and power surges.

had a lightning hit on tuesday and fried the router, contacted sky via their forum here on boards and I'll have a replacement free of charge to morrow

I have surge protection on the cameras but won't know if they're ok until I set up the new hub

Which is better one ptz or 4 separate cameras in 4 corners.

Anyone ever deal with Mgl security in lapis. They have adds on done deal.

valtra2 wrote: »
    Which is better one ptz or 4 separate cameras in 4 corners.

1 ptz correctly sited is far better ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

DVR has given up, power in but nothing out.
    Have a PTZ camera connected & need access via app
    What would people recommend

Same happened to me this week. Got new dvr and cameras are working perfect. The app will work at the home place where the cameras are. But when I go back to my house they won't. They freeze. Plenty of wifi power as they always worked on it. Pulling my hair out with it ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Same happened to me this week. Got new dvr and cameras are working perfect. The app will work at the home place where the cameras are. But when I go back to my house they won't. They freeze. Plenty of wifi power as they always worked on it. Pulling my hair out with it ha

Try somewhere else, if Feed is working when on camera network and not elsewhere then a port needs opening,
    / forwarding

What dvr you get & how much

IP cam viewer (pro) by Robert Chou

• Advertisement

Try somewhere else, if Feed is working when on camera network and not elsewhere then a port needs opening,
    / forwarding

What dvr you get & how much

Think I have it sorted. Fecking sky trotling my wifi. My box was covered under warranty. It's a logicom box. From memory I think it's around €400 for an 8 channel box

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Durrus Boy

orm0nd wrote: »
    IP cam viewer (pro) by Robert Chou

In relation to IP camera's, can anybody tell me if there tends to be any general maintenance issues with these? Have wired camera's here but the DVR has died a death and I can't get a compatible replacement easily. My main camera is situated quite high and I'd prefer not to have to go up there too often if I get an IP camera and there's issues. One of the few pros of having wired camera's I think!q
    TIA

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    In relation to IP camera's, can anybody tell me if there tends to be any general maintenance issues with these? Have wired camera's here but the DVR has died a death and I can't get a compatible replacement easily. My main camera is situated quite high and I'd prefer not to have to go up there too often if I get an IP camera and there's issues. One of the few pros of having wired camera's I think!q
    TIA

Is it a ptz camera? I have them in about 5 years and I never went near them. My dvr went about a year ago and was just still in warranty when it gave up last week. What make dvr had you? Try take down a few details of it and ask over in the form on boards about cameras and security etc

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    TIA

most important for any camera is to keep them plugged in full time,

some people had a habit of disconnecting the cam when calving season finishes, this allows moisture to build up ,

moisture + electronics = not good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

orm0nd wrote: »
    most important for any camera is to keep them plugged in full time,

some people had a habit of disconnecting the cam when calving season finishes, this allows moisture to build up ,

moisture + electronics = not good

+1

Put in Ip camera and pic good on phone but not so good on tablet why would this be.

valtra2 wrote: »
    Put in Ip camera and pic good on phone but not so good on tablet why would this be.

Is there a hd/sd option on the screen? Pick the hd option if so.

Could be the size of the screen. What quality is the camera

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Could be the size of the screen. What quality is the camera

It's a szsincam. Not sure of quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Have wired camera's. Can pick up on my phone through the home broadband. If I leave this home broadband I can't pick up the pictures with broadband elsewhere. What's going on?

Advertisement