Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving camera

Options
  • 01-01-2018 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Right i know there are alot of threads on calving cameras but alot of these are a good few years old and ive looked at them all.
    Mainly what i want to know is what cameras ye have bought and from where.. I know hikvision are extremely good but these are up around 400€ .. Night vision isnt too necessary as i can put a remote switch on a light.
    Set up will be wifi bridge using nanostations from house to shed and then in shed have a router which will power 1 PTZ camera and possibly another camera in the future. High quality camera at a decent price is what I am after <300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Am I being ripped off?
    2 calving cameras being installed that are remotely operated and phone connected. Both have night vision.

2 security cameras same as above. I also need to upgrade wifi for greater upload speed.

€2k??

Have seen similar system in neighbouring farm, pic quality and installation both excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

As Neil Tobín used say,a thousand for me,a thousand for you and we’ll get the mean caaaavan bastard to do the job

Yes €2 k for just two night vision cameras and remote viewing is certainly rips offs ville
    Shop around
    I’m a bit techy minded so put my own together for less than €300 viewable on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mf310

Am I being ripped off? 2 calving cameras being installed that are remotely operated and phone connected. Both have night vision.

2 security cameras same as above. I also need to upgrade wifi for greater upload speed.

€2k??

Have seen similar system in neighbouring farm, pic quality and installation both excellent

Would seem high alright but still 4 cameras at 400€ each if they are decent will be at 1600€ and then labour and wifi on top of that

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mf310

Yes €2 k for just two night vision cameras and remote viewing is certainly rips offs ville Shop around I’m a bit techy minded so put my own together for less than €300 viewable on my phone

Would you mind letting us know your set up and what camera you used thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

An older version of these
    I cabled an old WiFi router into the shed about 80 meters of that,which is fairly cheap Ethernet cable from the main broadband provider (Imagine in my case which has 5 or 6mb upload speed)
    Normal dsl broadband isn’t really good enough,the upload is too slow on that
    It works on basic dsl but the picture will skip and will be blocky so go with mobile broadband if you’ve just dsl

If you’ve fiber to the home,it’s perfect
    The other option is to stick up a mobile router with a Vodafone 4G sim to provide the WiFi
    When I’ve time I’ll add more camera’s

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Wanscam-1-0MP-720P-HD-Wireless-WiFi-IP-Security-Dome-Indoor-Outdoor-Camera/112658465474?hash=item1a3af7c2c2:m:mohG5ei10pnpK2ALMpV-PAg

Detail -

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=112658465474&category=66738&pm=1&ds=0&t=1514849342506&cspheader=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Mobile 4g dongle. With single camera-hd, pan tilt zoom. 300 all in. Camera from states. Bought 2nd camera yesterday for 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

2 X foscam FI9828P ptz cameras

3 nano stations to bring wifi 400 metres from house

bought on e bay for about €550 ,

made up my own cat cables & installed 3 power surge protection units
    all in for about €620

as mobile signal is weak in the yard I use the wifi from the house if needed to check anything on line or use herdwatch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Can anyone recommend a company installing in cameras. Dont think I would be tech savvy enough to install by myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

Anyone buy a calving camera system off Equicom, would ye recommend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Went to check a cow last night on the calving camera and half the view was blocked by fresh cobwebs and a spider that looked bigger than the cow. Not the kind of thing you"d be expecting.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Am I being ripped off?
    2 calving cameras being installed that are remotely operated and phone connected. Both have night vision.

€2k??

Totally depends on the equipment used.
    Lots of cheap and clone cameras used and picture quality is crap.

If he uses good equipment and you can read a
    Clean tag number in pitch dark at far end of shed (30'-60') on a ptz then its worth it.

I have seen some that could not pic a tag out when it was 3m away.

Also quality of work and the main one is get someone fairly local so they will maintain it if it encounters problems.

Its grand for ppl here with a bit of networking knowledge and a few days to iron out the teething problems to fire up prices leaving the rest feeling overcharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Am I being ripped off?

€2k??

I have a similar set up, zoom and 360oc view on the calving cameras is the only job. Logicom set up. It was around the 2k price. Very good set up with no issues. I wouldn't be very Teck savvy. The odd time an app may need to be up graded or that but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

Anybody use a camera that uses 4g instead of a WiFi system,dongles won’t work in my shed but I do have 4G on the phone.A guy told me you can get them but he didn’t know how good they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/grade-a1-electriq-4-channel-hd-1080p-wireless-network-video-recorder-with-4-x-1080p-cameras-1tb-hard-drive-774367761tl-v6e440w1tb looking at getting one of these systems, one in the calving shed and rest around the yard and house here. Good WiFi around most the house and yard and if needs be I can use a nanostation to extend the WiFi. Anyone setup anything similar, any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

satstheway wrote: »

Clean tag number in pitch dark at far end of shed (30'-60') on a ptz then its worth it.

Also quality of work and the main one is get someone fairly local so they will maintain it if it encounters problems.

Its grand for ppl here with a bit of networking knowledge and a few days to iron out the teething problems to fire up prices leaving the rest feeling overcharged.

Yes, pic quality is excellent as is his standard of workmanship. I've read tags in the dark off my neighbours phone.

He's fully insured and licenced to install security cameras which I want as legislation demands certification to have them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

milligan2 wrote: »
    Anybody use a camera that uses 4g instead of a WiFi system,dongles won’t work in my shed but I do have 4G on the phone.A guy told me you can get them but he didn’t know how good they were.

I set up a lambing cam using a 4g link. Total equipment cost was about 150 but the 4g dongle is 25 euro a month from Vodafone. All I needed in the shed was power.

arctictree wrote: »
    I set up a lambing cam using a 4g link. Total equipment cost was about 150 but the 4g dongle is 25 euro a month from Vodafone. All I needed in the shed was power.

Does it work well for you?had a WIFI dongle here and it broke me up,camera kept going offline

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yes, pic quality is excellent as is his standard of workmanship. I've read tags in the dark off my neighbours phone.

He's fully insured and licenced to install security cameras which I want as legislation demands certification to have them

Setting up a CCTV system is almost as complex as plugging in a skybox!

You don't need to have a PSA licence to install a calving camera. Technically you do for CCTV intended to detect an intruder, but not just to see what is going on around the place or if the mother in law is about!

Needing to be able to read tags at 60 foot is probably OTT. My cheapo swann one is quite adequate though to see what is happening in the shed. Attached is what is going on now in the black dark!

I use this to transmit at the moment with a Eir Sim Card: https://www.maplin.ie/p/tp-link-archer-mr200-4g-lte-wifi-router-with-sim-card-slot-a54xu . I is "grand" but not as quick as id like. I dug the channel for the CAT5 today, so at some point I'll get it on proper broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

milligan2 wrote: »
    Does it work well for you?had a WIFI dongle here and it broke me up,camera kept going offline

Worked OK, only went offline a couple of times. But then we have a very good 4G signal here. Better even than in the town. I did one up for a neighbour who had cows calving on an out farm about 6 miles away. Saved him a good few trips in the night as he could just roll over in bed and check it on the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

milligan2 wrote:

Have 4g dongle set up this year. Very poor reception around us. But just happened that in the shed it has silly upload speed. Outside shed was tereible but Something like 20 mb inside .just tried few corners of shed and that what i got. Tested using phones with different providers. End up buying a 50gb or 6 month SIM(which ever is shorter)for 1 payment €30 with eir and can top up of need to. Can send on a link to the plan tomorrow when in work of u like.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Om my memory website you can get a 3 12month 4g data sim with 12GB for €34.99.
    Would suit alot of ppl

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Have 4g dongle set up this year. Very poor reception around us. But just happened that in the shed it has silly upload speed. Outside shed was tereible but Something like 20 mb inside .just tried few corners of shed and that what i got. Tested using phones with different providers. End up buying a 50gb or 6 month SIM(which ever is shorter)for 1 payment €30 with eir and can top up of need to. Can send on a link to the plan tomorrow when in work of u like.
    Sounds like exactly what I need,is there an app to test the speeds?

Om my memory website you can get a 3 12month 4g data sim with 12GB for €34.99.
    Would suit alot of ppl

Beats 35 a month on a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

For people using a sim for the data in a shed, how much data is it using?
    Wouldn't it be dear ? or does the camera use very little data per month?

I'm thinking that most cheapish phone plans cost ~20e /month for 20gb?

Data usage stats for the cameras would be really useful.

Our shed is a distance from our home house which means using the existing broadband is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I never sat in front of a pc until I was well into my 50's . & anything I've done since is self taught with no assistance other than u tube & forums like this . unfortunately the guys that helped a lot of us on here have closed their accounts.

if you can browse the internet the info is there if you wish to look, but if you wish to give about 500% mark up to a "professional" that's fine also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

I set up a Foscam PTZ camera last year with a '3' router and sim card for approx €300. Then it's €20 per month while calving or lambing is going on.
    It works very well on the phone or tablet.

IMO this is enough for anyone to spend on a camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

I set up a Foscam PTZ camera last year with a '3' router and sim card for approx €300. Then it's €20 per month while calving or lambing is going on.
    It works very well on the phone or tablet.

IMO this is enough for anyone to spend on a camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

B Rabbit wrote: »
    For people using a sim for the data in a shed, how much data is it using?
    Wouldn't it be dear ? or does the camera use very little data per month?

I'm thinking that most cheapish phone plans cost ~20e /month for 20gb?

Data usage stats for the cameras would be really useful.

Our shed is a distance from our home house which means using the existing broadband is out.

I have a HEA Net subscription @ €10 a month because I work occasionally in a University, it is a good option if you have a third level student handy! The 25gb allowance I have is loads as you don't spend the day looking at it so it isn't transmitting.

Advertisement