Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving camera

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Okay, I'm able to crimp proper terminals onto the cable, so in terms of cameras and receiver boxes what are popular?

I want sound as well as vision. Are PTZ cameras worth it? I could cover pretty much all the shed with one but would a couple of fixed cameras come in cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

Okay, I'm able to crimp proper terminals onto the cable, so in terms of cameras and receiver boxes what are popular?

I want sound as well as vision. Are PTZ cameras worth it? I could cover pretty much all the shed with one but would a couple of fixed cameras come in cheaper?

Hikvision are popular. But I use these cheap HD cameras.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/FLOUREON-CCTV-8CH-1080N-DVR-Recorder-1500TVL-Cameras-Outdoor-Security-System-Kit/223664036178?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item34136a5952:g:0d4AAOSwDhxd1kRM

I've 8 of them setup in sheds plus 4 around the yard for security.

A good quality PTZ camera is very flexible and may well have better night vision than my cheap cameras. But I use a sonoff 4ch networked smart switch to turn on shed lights if I need a better view.

emaherx wrote: »
    Hikvision are popular. But I use these cheap HD cameras.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/FLOUREON-CCTV-8CH-1080N-DVR-Recorder-1500TVL-Cameras-Outdoor-Security-System-Kit/223664036178?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item34136a5952:g:0d4AAOSwDhxd1kRM
    But I use a sonoff 4ch networked smart switch to turn on shed lights if I need a better view.

You've got my interest now. I never considered this. I like the sound of this.

How much of your setup is wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

It's hard to beat a good ptz setup in a slatted shed, zoom in and read a tag in the dark, it's practically a DIY setup job if you are anyway technically adept.
    On calving pens it's a no brainer, what price is your peace of mind.

You've got my interest now. I never considered this. I like the sound of this.

How much of your setup is wireless?

Cameras all completely wired. I've network wired from house into garage and workshop then a wireless connection from workshop to cattle shed and all wired from there.

This is the sonoff relay it controls 3 lighting circuits and my electric fence unit. I also have similar controlling roller doors.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/333443674476

• Advertisement

It's hard to beat a good ptz setup in a slatted shed, zoom in and read a tag in the dark, it's practically a DIY setup job if you are anyway technically adept.
    On calving pens it's a no brainer, what price is your peace of mind.

I won't knock a PTZ, but I've every angle covered in open cow shed and 3 calving pens with fixed cameras. Not sure I need ability to read a tag in the dark, a cow either needs assistance or she doesn't won't matter her number. I got 8 cameras for under €150, night vision is fairly good as long as cow is not a red limousine on fresh straw (then she's invisible which is weird) but remote control of lights sorted that issue. I've only one red cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I won't knock a PTZ, but I've every angle covered in open cow shed and 3 calving pens with fixed cameras. Not sure I need ability to read a tag in the dark, a cow either needs assistance or she doesn't won't matter her number. I got 8 cameras for under €150, night vision is fairly good as long as cow is not a red limousine on fresh straw (then she's invisible which is weird) but remote control of lights sorted that issue. I've only one red cow.

Would you not just leave lights on in a shed?

Would you not just leave lights on in a shed?

Why? The cows don't need them, I know LED lights don't use as much electricity but I don't believe in wasting energy either.

Why? The cows don't need them, I know LED lights don't use as much electricity but I don't believe in wasting energy either.

Ours left on all night in calving shed and cubicles

Ours left on all night in calving shed and cubicles

That's ok, that's your farm, mine are on while needed. Maybe that's an area you could look at if you decide to try and cut your carbon footprint ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I leave lights on but they’re led battens and you wouldn’t really need them with my ptz camera in a 6 span lean to. Great camera.
    Got second one last year for a 6 span slatted shed which is beside the lean to.
    Didn’t know myself last year with them and hopefully get it up and goin on phone for this calving season. It’s the 5km wireless camera. You need line of sight though.

Equicom in cork I bought it. Vat back.

That's ok, that's your farm, mine are on while needed. Maybe that's an area you could look at if you decide to try and cut your carbon footprint ;):D

LEDs;)
    I'd be afraid cows would get stuck in a cubicle or walk on another cow without them.
    Probably wrong on that though

LEDs;)
    I'd be afraid cows would get stuck in a cubicle or walk on another cow without them.
    Probably wrong on that though

I mentioned LED's before you :p they still use energy and depending how many you have on it could still be a fair bit. I do leave a few here in the yard on with dusk till Dawn switches for safety/security reasons but it's not the same level of light or power consumption as when the lights are "on"

A great deal in fairness.
    Any ip weather rating on those cameras I didn't see any.
    Dust can be an issue, the obvious dampness in sheds, steam off cattle, the dreaded spider webs

emaherx are you able to provide some details of how you integrate the lights in order to control them from anywhere?
    Have you setup a wireless network in your shed to control them?

emaherx are you able to provide some details of how you integrate the lights in order to control them from anywhere?
    Have you setup a wireless network in your shed to control them?

Oh yes, I'd forgotten they were wifi. The router used as a wireless bridge also provides a WiFi hotspot. They have their own app ewelink it's called I don't personally use that but it works well but uses some Chinese server for authentication and remote access similar to P2P on the cameras. I use custom firmware called "tasmoto" I think and a local server running home assistant on a raspberry pi and then port forward on my router to give remote access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PTZlink-Outdoor-Surveillance-Detection-Injector/dp/B07XJRQ9L8

Considering one of those ptz cameras
    Seems to be all singing and dancing but too new for any reviews

It comes with a poe injector which is handy,meaning just one cable run from the router

Comments ?

A great deal in fairness.
    Any ip weather rating on those cameras I didn't see any.
    Dust can be an issue, the obvious dampness in sheds, steam off cattle, the dreaded spider webs

They are outdoor cameras, don't know the ip rating off the top of my head, but are up 3 years with no issues.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PTZlink-Outdoor-Surveillance-Detection-Injector/dp/B07XJRQ9L8

Considering one of those ptz cameras
    Seems to be all singing and dancing but too new for any reviews

It comes with a poe injector which is handy,meaning just one cable run from the router

Comments ?

The rotation speed seems to be 0.02deg/s. That seems slow, but I've not checked the speed of others yet.
    Might be more frustrating waiting on it to pan rather than switching to another camera.

Edit : that is the fine adjustment. They can do up to 60deg/s max rotation speed.

They are outdoor cameras, don't know the ip rating off the top of my head, but are up 3 years with no issues.

Item description states they are IP66.

• Advertisement

Item description states they are IP66.

Serious value for money

Are the cameras mostly wired to avoid jammers or does it just make for a cheaper and more robust setup?

emaherx, how have you housed your sonoff switch in the shed to make it waterproof but still be able to pick up the WiFi signal.
    Can they still pick it up through an IP66 weatherproof box?

Are the cameras mostly wired to avoid jammers or does it just make for a cheaper and more robust setup?

emaherx, how have you housed your sonoff switch in the shed to make it waterproof but still be able to pick up the WiFi signal.
    Can they still pick it up through an IP66 weatherproof box?

I usually hardwire everything where possible it's far more reliable and cheaper. The sonoff relay fits a standard din rail inside an ip rated consumer unit and is about 3 foot from router which is in an ip rated box so no signal issue.

Serious value for money

To be fair though they look and feel like cheap rubbish but they seem to work fine. Not sure how they will stand the test of time but they are so cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Can anyone recommend a good free or paid iPhone app for a foscam that allows the image to be zoomed as well as the camera to tilt and rotate etc.
    Also the apps must allow full screen autorotate on the iPhone.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Can anyone recommend a good free or paid iPhone app for a foscam that allows the image to be zoomed as well as the camera to tilt and rotate etc.
    Thanks in advance

Does the Hubble camera app do all that?

tanko wrote: »
    Does the Hubble camera app do all that?
    Will check it out thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Thanks in advance

Ipcamvewer is perfect , the free version is fine , I have it myself ,

Ipcamvewer is perfect , the free version is fine , I have it myself ,

Have ipcamviewer thanks but wont rotate or offer tilt, zoom rotate options on the iPhone whereas the android version of the app on a tablet does it all.
    You have it on iPhone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Have ipcamviewer thanks but wont rotate or offer tilt, zoom rotate options on the iPhone whereas the android version of the app on a tablet does it all.
    You have it on iPhone?

Ya I have on iPhone , my brother in law who runs the dns part of it for me uses it trough a samsung

Advertisement