Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving camera

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

robert.chou ip cam viewer,

i'm using on android not sure if it's availabe for i phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Does anyone know of an app that allows you to have preset locations that the camera will automatically rotate to, eg pen 1, pen 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

timple23 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an app that allows you to have preset locations that the camera will automatically rotate to, eg pen 1, pen 2?

I use CamHi app on IPhone and Samsung Tablet and you can set up pre saved locations that it will call up when you ask

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

timple23 wrote: »

Ipcamviewer has it and it’s free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Mortelaro wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PTZlink-Outdoor-Surveillance-Detection-Injector/dp/B07XJRQ9L8

Considering one of those ptz cameras
    Seems to be all singing and dancing but too new for any reviews

It comes with a poe injector which is handy,meaning just one cable run from the router

Comments ?
    Installed this today, got it on a black Friday offer for 189
    Using it now and very happy so far
    Nicely responsive and great night vision
    We have it working on the browser on the TV in the house and on the phone
    Works perfectly on our own WiFi network cabled to the shed
    A little bit slower to respond via 4g ptz wise but you have preset fixed positions you can set which is handy
    Usi g it's own app called hisee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I have a shed 100m or maybe even a bit less from the house with direct line of sight. What exactly would I need to send the Internet from the house to the shed and is it difficult to set up the camera? 1good ptz camera would cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

I have a shed 100m or maybe even a bit less from the house with direct line of sight. What exactly would I need to send the Internet from the house to the shed and is it difficult to set up the camera? 1good ptz camera would cover it.

A pair of ubiquiti nanostations, you can get them in a kit Preconfigured as a wireless bridge.

Not rocket science to setup and there are loads of YouTube videos. But you need to be some what comfortable working with this sort of stuff.
    If you know how to log into your own router to change wifi settings then you will be fine.

There may be cheaper options than the nanostations but these are reliable and well covered with internet guides.

I used 2 cheap routers from PC world's stock clearance bin that mentioned wireless bridge mode on the packet. But these are not outdoor devices and are setup inside 2 sheds with a shorter distance between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

emaherx wrote: »
    This is the sonoff relay it controls 3 lighting circuits and my electric fence unit. I also have similar controlling roller doors.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F333443674476

Can this switch be got with an RJ45 port? If I use these, the distance between them might be 30ft so I'm not convinced wifi would be suitable especially when I put them into an IP66 box.

Also, can two units be controlled within a single app interface - or is one instance required per unit?

Can this switch be got with an RJ45 port? If I use these, the distance between them might be 30ft so I'm not convinced wifi would be suitable especially when I put them into an IP66 box.

Also, can two units be controlled within a single app interface - or is one instance required per unit?

Sonoff devices are wifi Only, you can control multiple devices from a single app and even create scenes with as many devices as you like. Simple solution put a cheap AP in ip66 enclosure along with relays. But plastic IP66 enclosures don't really block wifi, metal ones can be a problem.

There are Ethernet relay devices available from other manufacturers though. Can't provide specific info about them.

Alternatively, for 50 euros a run of underground cat 5E outdoor cable from the house to a 2nd router in the shed
    That's what I have,its more stable
    Cat 5 cable works perfectly up to 100 metres
    Bonus is wifi in the yard from the 2nd router
    Factor in the cost of digging the trench and waving pipe to put the cable in
    Room for insulated electric fence cable,water pipes etc in there too

• Advertisement

Sonoff devices are wifi Only, you can control multiple devices from a single app and even create scenes with as many devices as you like. Simple solution put a cheap AP in ip66 enclosure along with relays. But plastic IP66 enclosures don't really block wifi, metal ones can be a problem.

There are Ethernet relay devices available from other manufacturers though. Can't provide specific info about them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07J9L1P9H/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is an example, haven't used these but I don't believe they use a cloud based service like the sonoff device which means you need to setup port forwarding and possibly dynamic dns on your router to access from outside your network. Personally I prefer this and I've reflashed my sonoff to achieve the same but obviously cloud based is much easier to setup.

Also check what amperage you need most of these are 10A but 16A and 20A are available too.

AP?

Is that a better idea than these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/WAVLINK-Outdoor-Weatherproof-Extender-Booster/dp/B07RFV8QGR/ref=pd_aw_sbs_147_6/261-1332404-1193915?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07RFV8QGR&pd_rd_r=7d462de5-2d75-44ac-824a-e3d3cc2c79af&pd_rd_w=wU4yy&pd_rd_wg=wsRdL&pf_rd_p=0208d703-a674-4413-8899-c3889837d212&pf_rd_r=7T92RVN7KCDHKV63PQPJ&psc=1&refRID=7T92RVN7KCDHKV63PQPJ

I really don't want the home network to be accessible from outside the property as much as possible in terms of wifi. My 'plan' currently is:

LAN/WiFi
    Cabling into shed already exists. Tidy up the cabling and terminate into a network switch held inside an IP66 enclosure.

Internal Cameras
    Install 3 - 4 PoE cameras (probably non PTZ) with sound into the network switch.

Lights
    Two sheds are adjoined and each have their own consumer unit. I want to control the lights in both sheds - so two Sonoff switches are required as I don't want to be jumping between circuitry with these switches. I could at a push add another light overlooking the first shed in order to avoid additional costs of the second Sonoff but that is a workaround and not a complete solution.

External Cameras
    Currently no plan for these, but it makes sense to add these now. Would change yard light to PIR enabled for night visibility. What is necessary for these cameras - I presume motion sensors, unlike the shed ones?

House
    So, in the house will be a single Cat5e feed from/to the shed. I'll need some type of NVR to collate the camera feeds, record, and distribute. Is it just a matter of buying a camera/NVR combination and plug and play?
    This is where I think my plan falls down in that I believe the NVR will require a direct feed from each camera. This is something I need to look into.

Is there anything else I should consider or that may be wrong with the above plan?

If you don't want your wifi broadcast too far then the one I linked will have fairly limited range but will need to be in your IP66 enclosure as it's not intended for out door use.

As for NVR, if using Poe cameras one link from switch should do. DVR's with Video cameras need each one brought back to DVR location. My setup I have DVR in water proof enclosure in centre of shed, all cameras connect to that and one link back to switch.

With NVR's you'd be best to buy cameras and NVR together to ensure compatibility or at least same brand. If using a mix of brands/ types I'd go with a lightweight PC running NVR software.

Cameras don't require motion sensor as software detects motion from video image.

On yard lighting you can also get sonoff PIR's that you could use to turn on any selection of lights connected to your relays. But would need good wifi coverage.

If you don't want your wifi broadcast two far then the one I linked will have fairly limited range but will need to be in your IP66 enclosure as it's not intended for out door use.
    That would be ideal, although I might need two of them for switches. I might try one initially, when I get around to doing this.
    As for NVR, if using Poe cameras one link from switch should do. DVR's with Video cameras need each one brought back to DVR location. My setup I have DVR in water proof enclosure in centre of shed, all cameras connect to that and one link back to switch.
    I thought that having the box in the shed would be the simpler solution. I'll go with an NVR solution, so I guess there is not need to have it in the shed.
    With NVR's you'd be best to buy cameras and NVR together to ensure compatibility or at least same brand. If using a mix of brands/ types I'd go with a lightweight PC running NVR software.
    Yes, I had read that already. Luckily I'm a bit OCD in that respect in that I'd have it all from the same manufacturer anyway!
    Cameras don't require motion sensor as software detects motion from video image.
    I'll need to read up on this before I start purchasing.
    On yard lighting you can also get sonoff PIR's that you could use to turn on any selection of lights connected to your relays. But would need good wifi coverage.
    I think initially I'll go with a standard PIR LED floodlight - maybe one which I can toggle from auto to on/off via the switch.

I think that an 8 port switch would be sufficient for my needs:

3 x internal cameras
    2 x external cameras
    1 x sonoff switch
    2 x spare

Was looking at this switch option:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/YuanLey-Gigabit-Ethernet-802-3af-Unmanaged/dp/B07XBJ3QYT/ref=sr_1_21?keywords=8+port+PoE+ethernet+switch&qid=1579543346&s=computers&sr=1-21

That would be ideal, although I might need two of them for switches. I might try one initially, when I get around to doing this.

I thought that having the box in the shed would be the simpler solution. I'll go with an NVR solution, so I guess there is not need to have it in the shed.

Yes, I had read that already. Luckily I'm a bit OCD in that respect in that I'd have it all from the same manufacturer anyway!

I'll need to read up on this before I start purchasing.

I think initially I'll go with a standard PIR LED floodlight - maybe one which I can toggle from auto to on/off via the switch.

I think that an 8 port switch would be sufficient for my needs:

3 x internal cameras
    2 x external cameras
    1 x sonoff switch
    2 x spare

Was looking at this switch option:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/YuanLey-Gigabit-Ethernet-802-3af-Unmanaged/dp/B07XBJ3QYT/ref=sr_1_21?keywords=8+port+PoE+ethernet+switch&qid=1579543346&s=computers&sr=1-21

Be careful with POE switches. There are different standards and can range in voltage from 12V to 48V. So decide on cameras and then get switch to match.

Be careful with POE switches. There are different standards and can range in voltage from 12V to 48V. So decide on cameras and then get switch to match.

Is a standard ethernet switch overall a better solution then?

Is a standard ethernet switch overall a better solution then?

Not nessacerilly if you get equipment that conforms to the same standard. Some cheaper CCTV uses non standard POE in which case a standard switch and passive POE injectors might be simplest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The11Duff

Has anyone ever heard of West Coast Cameras on donedeal???

• Advertisement

Doing some reading up on these. Seems like dahua, hikvision and reolink cameras are the popular choices.

From what I've seen so far there is not much difference in price between bullet and dome with all coming in at around £90 - £100 each. If I need two or three of these then a ptz centrally mounted might be a better option.

I'm now getting concerned that the connection to the house might be a problem as the cable is old and may not be suitable.

However, I noticed this on the freetv.ie site which had 50% off. Is it a decent deal?

https://www.freetv.ie/images/detailed/7/ip-cctv-systems.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

The11Duff wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of West Coast Cameras on donedeal???

Yeah id know of him, top man.

Try this link for the 50% off Hikvision setup:
    HiWatch™ 8 Channel IP CCTV System (4MP, 6x IP Cameras) [SPECIAL OFFER, WHILE STOCKS LAST]
    https://www.freetv.ie/ip-cctv-systems/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I use CamHi app on IPhone and Samsung Tablet and you can set up pre saved locations that it will call up when you ask

Tried camhi and ipcamviewer. Not a chance of getting them to work. Tried every way to get them installed. Reset camera also. Am able to add camera to original app. Can you remember how you got the camera set up on the camhi app?

So, looks like Coronavirus is going to give me some extended time at home.

Plan is to initially see if I can get a wired connection from house to shed. If I can do that, then the setup in the shed should be relatively straightforward. I'll be trying to pull two cables so hopefully it will work.
    I think it will be shy of 50m if/when routed - so should still be within usable limits for PoE. If it is too awkward to run a cable I'll go with one of these:

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Access Point

I'm still undecided as to whether I should opt for a central PTZ camera covering the majority of the shed with a couple of fixed cameras covering blind spots, or a number of fixed cameras throughout the shed. That decision can await resolution of getting the connection to the shed.

So, I've got a trench dug for the cabling and a plan - apart from that not much else as cows have been calving, working from etc.

Before I start into this we have an outlying farm which is in a few parcels. I'd like to get them covered by cameras for security purposes as opposed to calving etc.
    On a remote farm can you have multiple cameras feeding into a single sim card? Also, is there an ability to link the cameras between the parcels - if so what is the max range and is it line of sight only?

Can the cameras not be obtained in green colour? I've never seen them - only white and black.

So, I've got a trench dug for the cabling and a plan - apart from that not much else as cows have been calving, working from etc.

Before I start into this we have an outlying farm which is in a few parcels. I'd like to get them covered by cameras for security purposes as opposed to calving etc.
    On a remote farm can you have multiple cameras feeding into a single sim card? Also, is there an ability to link the cameras between the parcels - if so what is the max range and is it line of sight only?

Can the cameras not be obtained in green colour? I've never seen them - only white and black.

Line of sight is best,you can do a point to point link with gear for less than €100 off amazon
    3 to 5kms is common,some do 10kms
    You'd need to be above trees

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Line of sight is best,you can do a point to point link with gear for less than €100 off amazon
    3 to 5kms is common,some do 10kms
    You'd need to be above trees

I'd have no chance for LOS unfortunately.

Do you want cameras to cover several fields?
    Can't see that you will get this to a useable level unless there are very small regular shapped paddocks. Infra red range of cameras will be fairly limiting for night time. Maybe one or two monitored areas for cows expected to calve might be more sensible.

There should be no limit (or a fairly high one at least) as to how many cameras you can connect using a router with a single SIM card but powering the cameras and router would be your biggest issue although not impossible either.

• Advertisement

Do you want cameras to cover several fields?
    Can't see that you will get this to a useable level unless there are very small regular shapped paddocks. Infra red range of cameras will be fairly limiting for night time. Maybe one or two monitored areas for cows expected to calve might be more sensible.

There should be no limit (or a fairly high one at least) as to how many cameras you can connect using a router with a single SIM card but powering the cameras and router would be your biggest issue although not impossible either.

Not fields but inside/outside of shed for security, so fixed cameras - possibly 4 - 5 fixed cameras. The talk was of having one pointing down the fields (maybe needs to be a PT or PTZ) but needs and likes will be rationalised when the cost comes in.

Plan was to install a couple of leisure batteries and trickle charge them off a solar panel. The generator would then be able to provide additional charge into the batteries s and when it is turned on.
    Battery bank would also power some PIR yard LED floodlights as well as the cameras.

Advertisement