Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

Clareman wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07GQ6X5YZ

Dual Sim Note 9 with a 128 SD card, down to €729 from Amazon Germany

Good spot. Works out to 621 for me with Prime & no vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Haven't used Dex at all but am intrigued now. I've got a USB C hub with HDMI slot for my MacBook Pro, would it work with that or does it have to be a specific type of cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Very happy with this so far - I got very lucky - bought from AVForums, and it was an insurance replacement - guy assumed it was the single sim, 128gb version (which is what he had) but the insurance company sent out a 512gb Dual Sim version, so I paid about 500 for that.

What's a good brand HDMI adapter for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I guess any adapter will work fine,dont know the answer.
    Got mine from Peats HERE.

Working fine,no issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've 1 of these and besides the "Non Samsung" warning it works perfectly. I've a S4 Tab with Keyboard case as well and I always use Dex on it, fantastic on a tablet, especially being able to resize apps, but for the phone I usually just use it for doing presentations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does the DeX pad for the note 8 and s9 work with the note 9?

https://www.samsung.com/sg/mobile-accessories/dex-pad-ee-m5100/

chrislad wrote: »
    Very happy with this so far - I got very lucky - bought from AVForums, and it was an insurance replacement - guy assumed it was the single sim, 128gb version (which is what he had) but the insurance company sent out a 512gb Dual Sim version, so I paid about 500 for that.

What's a good brand HDMI adapter for this?

CHOETECH USB C to HDMI Cable 4K@60Hz Compatible with Apple iPad Pro,MacBook Air,2018/2017/2016 MacBook Pro,iMac,MacBook,Note 9/S9/S8,Huawei Mate 20,etc https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C91TL92/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_POhzCbRRYJ443

This one. Protective cabling and a decent leather cable tie so there's no untidyness

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Dex is the business to watch BT Sport via the eir sport app (free) on my phone.....on my TV.

Use a cord from Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Thinking of buying a note 9 or a mate 20 Pro to replace my mate 10 Pro.

The mate 10 Pro is starting to have a few random issues of getting very hot.

So how is the battery life on the note 9?. As I had a Samsung s8 plus and the Life of it was shocking.

Thinking of buying a note 9 or a mate 20 Pro to replace my mate 10 Pro.

The mate 10 Pro is starting to have a few random issues of getting very hot.

So how is the battery life on the note 9?. As I had a Samsung s8 plus and the Life of it was shocking.

Battery life is noticeably better than the Note 8. I wouldn't say that the Note 8 had bad battery life, though, so I'm not sure what caused that for you.

My other half has the Mate 10 Pro, and I'd say she has better battery life than me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

See i miss haveing the pen as used to have a note 3 and 4 and loved them.

Like my mate 10 after nearly a year is just haveing strange issues and have done everything to try and fix the issues and no luck so I am on the wall to buy a mate 20 Pro or a note 9.

There is also the p30 Pro and s10 5G next week but I am a bit on the wall about getting a 5g phone just yet as it's still early days for 5g tech but I reather give it 2 years before it's fully ready and you can use 5g in Ireland...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I find the battery brilliant in the 9, according to my phone I took it off charge 12h37m ag I had 3h26m screen tome, 2h51m YouTube Vanced, 1h41m Netflix and another few bits and bobs and I'm at 45% now, or 12h30m remaining. The kids were colouring as well on it now that I think of it (family lunch today)

Clareman wrote: »
    I find the battery brilliant in the 9, according to my phone I took it off charge 12h37m ag I had 3h26m screen tome, 2h51m YouTube Vanced, 1h41m Netflix and another few bits and bobs and I'm at 45% now, or 12h30m remaining. The kids were colouring as well on it now that I think of it (family lunch today)

Likewise - battery is light years ahead of my old iPhone 7 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm still getting used to having to charge it every night.

Coming from the mi max 2 where if I forgot I'd still have about 55% getting up the 2nd day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm comfortably getting the day out of it. From 7am to 10pm normally leaves me with 20% or so.

I take it for granted that I'll have to charge my phone every night, its been forever since I didn't have to plug in my phone at night, I've a battery pack in my car & laptop bag for my S7 but I've never had to use them on my note.

On a side note (pun intended} I'm at 64% now, taken off charge at 7.12 this morning but I've been in the car with YouTube music and satnav in use

Anyone know where a photo goes when you hit the favourite button in the top right hand corner (it's not the favourites folder anyway).

Anyone know where a photo goes when you hit the favourite button in the top right hand corner (it's not the favourites folder anyway).

Just tested (never actually use Samsung gallery) and it went to the favourites folder for me.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Just tested (never actually use Samsung gallery) and it went to the favourites folder for me.

Ahhhh still not working for me.

Do you normally use the Google photos gallery?

Ahhhh still not working for me.

Do you normally use the Google photos gallery?

yeah, guess i just use it out of habit, since i switch between devices a bit, so google photos is the same on every device. i also use the web interface of google photos quite a bit.

are you accessing the favourites album by the icon shown in the screenshot in the attachment, or do you have another album called favourites? is your gallery app up-to-date?

• Advertisement

yeah, guess i just use it out of habit, since i switch between devices a bit, so google photos is the same on every device. i also use the web interface of google photos quite a bit.

are you accessing the favourites album by the icon shown in the screenshot in the attachment, or do you have another album called favourites? is your gallery app up-to-date?

Mine doesn't look like that, I do have an album called favourites but stuff being 'starred' isnt going in there...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

wandererz wrote: »
    Good spot. Works out to 621 for me with Prime & no vat.

Same here. It says English version in the description but when added to basket It says Deutsche version. I presume it makes no difference though.

Mine doesn't look like that, I do have an album called favourites but stuff being 'starred' isnt going in there...

Scroll all the way to the top of your gallery app. You're on Android 9/One UI?

Scroll all the way to the top of your gallery app. You're on Android 9/One UI?

That's it - thanks, can see all my favourites now.

Going to delete the folder I created called favourites to avoid confusion again.

Cheers ðŸº

FYI
    On the battery issue, i changed display resolution from WQHD to HD and am now getting about 21hrs of usage.

Have to do a full charge & drain to see what the total time is under regular use. Weekend will be good for that as i will be using it more.
    Albeit, i do use it considerably during the work week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

When I spend that amount of money on a flagship phone the last thing I'll be doing is turning off any of its best features, that WQHD is beautiful, especially if its only for the sake of having to charge it a bit more regularly.

When I spend that amount of money on a flagship phone the last thing I'll be doing is turning off any of its best features, that WQHD is beautiful, especially if its only for the sake of having to charge it a bit more regularly.

It's of no use for everyday stuff (to me anyway) especially normal business related use.
    Can be turned on when watching movies etc.

Standard setting is FHD+ anyway (HD+, FHD+, WQHD)

At some point recently i had turned on WQHD.
    Now that I've switched to the lowest setting i cannot notice a difference.

TBH, if i watch YouTube & other videos of note i normally cast it to a 65" Samsung QLED TV anyway.

If watching stuff on a phone, it's the audio experience via the headphones that I'm normally concerned with rather than the HD, FHD, WQHD difference.

The definition for me only makes a difference if I'm traveling and watching movies on an airplane or train. In that case I normally have a powerbank anyway so it's no problem switching on WQHD then.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

wandererz wrote: »
    It's of no use for everyday stuff (to me anyway) especially normal business related use.
    Can be turned on when watching movies etc.

Standard setting is FHD+ anyway (HD+, FHD+, WQHD)

At some point recently i had turned on WQHD.
    Now that I've switched to the lowest setting i cannot notice a difference.

TBH, if i watch YouTube & other videos of note i normally cast it to a 65" Samsung QLED TV anyway.

If watching stuff on a phone, it's the audio experience via the headphones that I'm normally concerned with rather than the HD, FHD, WQHD difference.

The definition for me only makes a difference if I'm traveling and watching movies on an airplane or train. In that case I normally have a powerbank anyway so it's no problem switching on WQHD then.

Yeah I get all that , I'm just saying given its price, current standing in the mobile landscape and the battery size with it that to me there's no need to switch any feature off. I do charge every night regardless anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Due an upgrade at the end of next month and have my heart set on a Note 9.

I'm happy to commit to a 24 month contract - how come Virgin Mobile work out so much cheaper than other networks? Keeping in mind I'd like to stick to max 60-ish per month...

I've been with Three before (not the best experience but hoping their network is better now?) and Vodafone currently (excellent but expensive). Never been with anyone else...

Virgin
    €249 up front
    €35 for 3 months
    €60 for 21 months
    Total = €1614

Three
    €409 up front
    €60 for 24 months
    Total = €1849

eir
    Don't have Note 9

Tesco
    €699 up front
    €50 for 24 months
    Total = €1899

Vodafone
    Don't have Note 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

If you can afford to I would consider buying it up front if you can. Mine cost 800 with three prepay preorder deal and I am paying €20 a month to top up. Over 2 years would work out at 1280. I haven't looked but I'd assume it can be got sim free for around €800 if not cheaper these days, particularly with the S10 out soon.

Advertisement