Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I went with the dual SIM Note 9 I mentioned above after all, so it's currently on it's way from Manchester. :)

Anyone want to buy an S9+ next week? :P

Arrived today so have been setting it up tonight (much easier with backups and switching tools but still takes ages!)

Totally worth it though. Was surprised that it came with a cover (first Samsung I've had that did) but will need to get a better one I think.

I'm surprised that even though it seems very similar to my S9+, it feels very different and impressive too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Arrived today so have been setting it up tonight (much easier with backups and switching tools but still takes ages!)

Totally worth it though. Was surprised that it came with a cover (first Samsung I've had that did) but will need to get a better one I think.

I'm surprised that even though it seems very similar to my S9+, it feels very different and impressive too :)

Regards cover this is what I have and can't recomend it enough it feels really nice in hand.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163361776984

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Felt the need to withstand a nuclear blast, so went for this one
    https://www.supcase.com/galaxty-note-9-unicorn-beetle-pro-shockproof-case
    Havent had any other cases on the phone, so hard to compare, but fits in pocket and holds well in my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Where did you buy from, out of interest? Thanks.
    Thinking the note 10 isn't for me.. so might just note 9 it!

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Where did you buy from, out of interest? Thanks.
    Thinking the note 10 isn't for me.. so might just note 9 it!

Got it from a seller on eBay with lots of solid feedback. Came via DHL and arrived sealed and brand new.

• Advertisement

Lost my s pen the weekend I actually miss it I have ordered a genuine looking replacement should have it in few days.

Just wondering has anyone used a cheaper replacement one on the note 9 would it be worth getting a couple as backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BlackMask93

Note 9 getting an upgrade on the camera for Night Mode.

https://9to5google.com/2019/06/17/galaxy-note-9-night-mode/

Paulcon93 wrote: »
    Note 9 getting an upgrade on the camera for Night Mode.

https://9to5google.com/2019/06/17/galaxy-note-9-night-mode/

Have been checking for this update the last week or so, since they announced it had been pushed in Germany.

It's showing for me now this morning. 700MB, currently downloading.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got it this morning, haven't noticed any difference to be honest.

Clareman wrote: »

You've tried using the camera in night mode in a dark environment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Clareman wrote: »

I see, as far as the S9 goes, they have rolled back the Night Mode part of the update in some cases, few threads over on Reddit- I wonder did it happen to the Note too?

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I see, as far as the S9 goes, they have rolled back the Night Mode part of the update in some cases, few threads over on Reddit- I wonder did it happen to the Note too?

Highly unlikely. My understanding with the S9 is that Exynos versions got the camera update with the June security patches, and SD versions didn't.

If you're here using an Exynos model, you should have the night mode available. I know some people have picked up SD versions from overseas, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Basil3 wrote: »
    Highly unlikely. My understanding with the S9 is that Exynos versions got the camera update with the June security patches, and SD versions didn't.

If you're here using an Exynos model, you should have the night mode available. I know some people have picked up SD versions from overseas, though.

See here discussing an Exynos unlocked https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS9/comments/c2gjbc/unlocked_exynos_no_night_mode_after_june_update/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Have been checking for this update the last week or so, since they announced it had been pushed in Germany.

It's showing for me now this morning. 700MB, currently downloading.

What network are you on?

I've Updated and I have night mode is there but it isn't anything great.

First picture with normal camera 20190621-152500.jpg

Nightmode
    20190621-152514.jpg

What network are you on?

3, but I got mine on release, so I think it's actually running a BTU ROM rather than the 3 ROM.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I've Updated and I have night mode is there but it isn't anything great.

First picture with normal camera 20190621-152500.jpg

Nightmode
    20190621-152514.jpg

I don't think it works miracles.

I've tried it and it made a pretty significant difference in a very dimly lit room.

I don't think it works miracles.

I've tried it and it made a pretty significant difference in a very dimly lit room.

Oh I get that but it seemed that you have to hold it really steady over a period of time or it turns out blurry so I don't really see the instance where you would actually benifit from it.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Oh I get that but it seemed that you have to hold it really steady over a period of time or it turns out blurry so I don't really see the instance where you would actually benifit from it.

I think if you go way too dark, you have to stay it way too long for it to be of any use.....but that would be the same for any kind of photography.

I think it's useful for situations where the light is generally poor. In the photos below, the lighting really is quite dim...I even think the first pic makes it look a good bit brighter than it really is.

2Q9WyCu.jpg?1

FFaIaf8.jpg?1

Qh right fair enough ha maybe I was expecting night Vision goggles type thing haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

I am with Vodafone and cannot get WiFi calling working on the Note 9.
    I have the update, WiFi calling is enabled but even with low signal it does not switch over.

If I enable Flight mode, then enable WiFi and try to make a call i get the message/question "Turn off flight mode to make this call?"

Anyone else have this problem?

Update: Vodafone support says this is a new feature & not rolled out 100% yet nor to everyone.

To boot, they've discontinued their "Talk to Vodafone" forum on boards.ie! Probably too many complaints.

So, my Note 9 is still suffering terrible signal strength at home now that my suresignal unit is dead & Vodafone WiFi calling is not working.

wandererz wrote: »
    I am with Vodafone and cannot get WiFi calling working on the Note 9.
    I have the update, WiFi calling is enabled but even with low signal it does not switch over.

If I enable Flight mode, then enable WiFi and try to make a call i get the message/question "Turn off flight mode to make this call?"

Anyone else have this problem?

Update: Vodafone support says this is a new feature & not rolled out 100% yet nor to everyone.

To boot, they've discontinued their "Talk to Vodafone" forum on boards.ie! Probably too many complaints.

So, my Note 9 is still suffering terrible signal strength at home now that my suresignal unit is dead & Vodafone WiFi calling is not working.

I've just seen that - typical! The service and support has gone dramatically downhill since the days of it being the "best" network - something it still largely trades on but has no bearing on the current situation.

I'm on VF myself (until the contract runs out!) and pay them 60 quid a month for the privilege but like yourself, Wi-Fi calling doesn't work, despite being enabled in the settings (which I'm thinking was a Samsung update rather than a VF approved one)

I've just seen that - typical! The service and support has gone dramatically downhill since the days of it being the "best" network - something it still largely trades on but has no bearing on the current situation.

I'm on VF myself (until the contract runs out!) and pay them 60 quid a month for the privilege but like yourself, Wi-Fi calling doesn't work, despite being enabled in the settings (which I'm thinking was a Samsung update rather than a VF approved one)

Vodafones website lists the models that support their WiFi calling feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This is the list. Basically iPhone and S range Samsungs.

https://n.vodafone.ie/network/wi-fi-calling.html#

Why is it such an important feature anyway? Do not people not have unlimited calls these days?

This is the list. Basically iPhone and S range Samsungs.

https://n.vodafone.ie/network/wi-fi-calling.html#

Why is it such an important feature anyway? Do not people not have unlimited calls these days?

Not all parts of rural Ireland have decent phone signals in their homes so they can use WiFi to call instead of standard phone signal.

wandererz wrote: »
    Vodafones website lists the models that support their WiFi calling feature.

I have the phone and on one of the eligible plans and it still doesn't work.

Maybe it only works with phones using VF firmware. I didn't buy my Note 9 from them so it's not. Not a big deal to reflash it though.

Anyone here have it working on a non-VF supplied handset?

I have the phone and on one of the eligible plans and it still doesn't work.

Maybe it only works with phones using VF firmware. I didn't buy my Note 9 from them so it's not. Not a big deal to reflash it though.

Anyone here have it working on a non-VF supplied handset?

I replaced my Note9 on Vodafone insurance so they sent me a Vodafone replacement with Vodafone firmware.
    Still no joy with WiFi calling even on their own firmware.
    I've got terrible signal at home despite being in the greater Dublin area just off the M50, so not rural at all.

June 1 security update available from Three Ireland this morning.

June 1 security update available from Three Ireland this morning.

Got that on 3 a week or two ago. Does it have the camera update?

Interesting that those of us who bought through 3 on release have BTU devices, and get updates ahead of those who probably purchased through 3 a bit later, when they have made their changes to the ROM.

• Advertisement

Got that on 3 a week or two ago. Does it have the camera update?

Interesting that those of us who bought through 3 on release have BTU devices, and get updates ahead of those who probably purchased through 3 a bit later, when they have made their changes to the ROM.

It's added a night mode to the camera and a notifications button in the setting bar to read a QR barcode with the camera.

Advertisement