Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

markad1 wrote: »
    Go to settings...about phone.....software information , you will see it under service provider SW ver

Says SAOMC_SM-N960F-OXM-XEU-OO_003227D27AD0C217ECEXEU/XEU,XEU/XEZ on mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

madmoe wrote: »
    Says SAOMC_SM-N960F-OXM-XEU-OO_003227D27AD0C217ECEXEU/XEU,XEU/XEZ on mine?

https://www.androidsage.com/2017/07/12/list-of-samsung-galaxy-country-specific-product-code-csc-and-country-region/

United Kingdom / Ireland (XEU)
    United Kingdom (BTU)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Best place to pick up one sim free? Looking at Virgin, out of curiousity, and it's 24 * 35 plus 250 for the phone! Works out at an extra 200 for the phone, plus you have to play 25 a month extra (minimum) after 4 months. I remember when the phone used to be a carrot to get people to join!

chrislad wrote: »
    Best place to pick up one sim free? Looking at Virgin, out of curiousity, and it's 24 * 35 plus 250 for the phone! Works out at an extra 200 for the phone, plus you have to play 25 a month extra (minimum) after 4 months. I remember when the phone used to be a carrot to get people to join!

Ah yeah, the good old days.

I remember in the UK I paid £70 up front for a £450 phone on an 18 month contract @ £20/month. Total cost of the contract was less than the phone. On top of that, I would get calls from other providers offering to buy me out of my current contract if I switched to them.

These days, I just buy phones outright. Contracts offer no value.

markad1 wrote: »

So I'm United Kingdom/Ireland.

Thanks mate,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Oreo update for me this morning 1592MB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Got new update this morning. I'm BTU

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Got mine about an hour ago too. BTU

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have an S9+ at the moment and love it, but the S10 leaks are doing nothing for me with the camera cut-outs on the front screen (I actually prefer the fingerprint scanner on the back too so the under-the-screen version on the S10 I don't care about), so I'm thinking about getting a Note 9.

I know there's mixed views above, but would I be mad to do it given I've never used the S-Pen on previous Notes I've owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I have an S9+ at the moment and love it, but the S10 leaks are doing nothing for me with the camera cut-outs on the front screen (I actually prefer the fingerprint scanner on the back too so the under-the-screen version on the S10 I don't care about), so I'm thinking about getting a Note 9.

I know there's mixed views above, but would I be mad to do it given I've never used the S-Pen on previous Notes I've owned.

If you are a proper power user you'll get the value out of it

Example, a sound recording was being sent around on viber or WhatsApp few weeks ago. Nobody with an iPhone could open it, I went into linux on DeX command line mode, and with the full fat version of ffmpeg made it into an mp3 and was able to send it back so others could open it

Use the pen daily for chrome remote desktop, can click around with the same accuracy you could using a mouse

In spreadsheets the pen is great, Google sheets is IMO totally unusable except for totally basic stuff without the pen on any other phone.

Coincidentally my laptop stopped charging the same week I got the note 9 the few months ago, and i havent got it fixed. Completely replaced the use of the laptop. Now I still have a powerful desktop for doing proper stuff but everything else is on the note 9

The only drawback is for an expensive flagship, it only has 1 GPS receiver instead of being dualband and doing high accuracy. There are only a couple phones out there that do that but IMO it was criminal not to include it in the note. As with every other phone with a normal gps receiver, using Google maps is crap if you're walking.

If you never used to use the pen then maybe the above messing wouldn't suit you either. And if you just want a more basic phone experience then keep the s9+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If you are a proper power user you'll get the value out of it

Example, a sound recording was being sent around on viber or WhatsApp few weeks ago. Nobody with an iPhone could open it, I went into linux on DeX command line mode, and with the full fat version of ffmpeg made it into an mp3 and was able to send it back so others could open it

Use the pen daily for chrome remote desktop, can click around with the same accuracy you could using a mouse

In spreadsheets the pen is great, Google sheets is IMO totally unusable except for totally basic stuff without the pen on any other phone.

Coincidentally my laptop stopped charging the same week I got the note 9 the few months ago, and i havent got it fixed. Completely replaced the use of the laptop. Now I still have a powerful desktop for doing proper stuff but everything else is on the note 9

The only drawback is for an expensive flagship, it only has 1 GPS receiver instead of being dualband and doing high accuracy. There are only a couple phones out there that do that but IMO it was criminal not to include it in the note. As with every other phone with a normal gps receiver, using Google maps is crap if you're walking.

If you never used to use the pen then maybe the above messing wouldn't suit you either. And if you just want a more basic phone experience then keep the s9+

Cheers for this.. some very good points.

I do find myself relying on the phone more these days as opposed to my laptop (whereas I would have almost exclusively used the latter for everything even a year ago). I guess that's the bigger screen of the S9+ and the better general functionality - so who knows, I might get value out of the pen this time around and the built-in Dex controller looks like a winner too for those "I need a desktop" tasks.

It IS very expensive though. I know I could (and probably would) sell the S9+ to part-fund it, but still a lot of cash for a phone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got the update this morning and first off I don't like it but I'm sure it'll grow on my. 1 thing I liked was the full screen option with a drag up to get the buttons back, I can't seem to get that witht he new update, there is a way to get a drag up for the buttons but that leads to accidential presses, any ideas how to re-enable the autohide of the buttons?

Clareman wrote: »
    I got the update this morning and first off I don't like it but I'm sure it'll grow on my. 1 thing I liked was the full screen option with a drag up to get the buttons back, I can't seem to get that witht he new update, there is a way to get a drag up for the buttons but that leads to accidential presses, any ideas how to re-enable the autohide of the buttons?

Thanks for reminding me about the full screen gestures on pie, had been waiting for that. Do you get accidental presses when using that method?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Downloading it now. I'm with Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Full screen gestures is good but a bit finicky. No accidental presses for me, the opposite if I'm landscape, takes a few tries to get it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Got an upgrade One UI for Android Pie notification.
    Any of you did it, any feedback, please !?

Thanks

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

Got an upgrade One UI for Android Pie notification.
    Any of you did it, any feedback, please !?

Thanks

I like it. Main benefit to me is dark notifications, as I would always use a dark theme anyway, but was stuck with light notifications. Also like the full screen gestures.

Just played with the docking USB to HDMI ... oahh, really impressed with it...

rolion wrote: »
    Just played with the docking USB to HDMI ... oahh, really impressed with it...

What's that exactly?

What's that exactly?

It's just dex. You used to need a specific dock to connect to a monitor and run dex mode, now I think it's a simpler adaptor.

It isn't anything to do with the pie update, AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 CasePuma2015

What is the price of a good Samsung like vs iphone? IPhones seem to be too dear of late

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's just dex. You used to need a specific dock to connect to a monitor and run dex mode, now I think it's a simpler adaptor.

It isn't anything to do with the pie update, AFAIK.

Any adapter works now, I have a cheap USB-C to HDMI adapter and eventhough it gives a pop up about using Samsung only products it does DEX perfectly, I've used it a few times for presentations for work, the pen is very handy for going through slides.

2 very useful accessories for me is a USB-C memory key and the above HDMI adapter. I've a Spigen stand case on mine so very handy for the HDMI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭wandererz

The 1.6GB PIE update took ages to download over wifi. About 1 day.

Was not impressed with speed after update, but just did a cache wipe & seems to be performing much better.

Battery seems to be draining much faster now.

And problem with Chrome - when loading a page i get a black screen & have to scroll down to see the page.

Edit: after doing the cache wipe i went into
    chrome://flags
    in chrome & enabled the first 5 options.

Much better experience now, dare i say: blazingly fast.

wandererz wrote: »
    The 1.6GB PIE update took ages to download over wifi. About 1 day.

Was not impressed with speed after update, but just did a cache wipe & seems to be performing much better.

Battery seems to be draining much faster now.

And problem with Chrome - when loading a page i get a black screen & have to scroll down to see the page.

Pretty much opposite experience for me. Download and install took under half an hour for me, and that's downloading on 3 network!

Everything seems smooth, battery life still good.

Maybe try a factory reset? Solution to almost every issue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

No issues downloading on Three for me either and i can't say i've noticed any performance issues. I'm not a fan of the design at all i have to say, some annoying changes to the UI and the overall look is almost like a toy or something, hard to describe it but feels a lot less sleek.

Clareman wrote: »
    Any adapter works now, I have a cheap USB-C to HDMI adapter and eventhough it gives a pop up about using Samsung only products it does DEX perfectly, I've used it a few times for presentations for work, the pen is very handy for going through slides.

2 very useful accessories for me is a USB-C memory key and the above HDMI adapter. I've a Spigen stand case on mine so very handy for the HDMI

I have a USB C to HDMI dock replacement adapter for my Nintendo Switch!? I wonder would that work??

Thanks,
    M

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Downloaded via eir network today- so far ok

I have a USB C to HDMI dock replacement adapter for my Nintendo Switch!? I wonder would that work??

Thanks,
    M

Only 1 way to find out :D

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07GQ6X5YZ

Dual Sim Note 9 with a 128 SD card, down to €729 from Amazon Germany

• Advertisement

Whatever docking system you use,you will be amazed.
    I have a docking station bought from Peats and does video out and one USB port for storage or keyb/mouse.
    Turn off the phone/screen and you can work like with a normal laptop.
    Very handy desktop...and lot sof YT videos / demos.

Multitasking,music in background,email /typing foreground.
    Few applications doesnt like the mode but im getting used to.

Just ordered a Microsoft bluetooth keyboard / mouse so no more cables attached.
    Havent tried the pen yet...

Fantastic phone (8Gb RAM / 512Gb storage )... above one small level of Mate 20 Pro.

Advertisement