Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Devastated for Bennett.

He should ring up Roy Keane and have him sort out Lefevere - ''accusing me of faking an injury?''

Lefevere has made it clear - loudly in public - that he feels nothing is owed to Bennett. Bennett is rightfully repaying the sentiment by not risking his health and future prospects for a team that won't pay what he's worth and are looking to offload him. You reap what you sow. Could Bennett struggle through the tour? Probably, but why risk it? Thibaut Pinot comes to mind. He banged his knee and hasn't been the same since.

Interesting you mention Roy Keane, wasn't it him that was making a statement in Saipan? And also blamed niggles for not playing for Ireland, albeit in friendlies. Some here suggesting that Sam is making a statement, rather than actually being unfit. Seems a shame to not ride if he could, biggest harm.long term is to his own career honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭corelokttikka

Sams no fool. He’s looking after himself and rightfully so. He’s probably fit for tour but has made the decision to not go maybe because he didn’t get what he wanted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    He said weeks ago that Sam was leaving & he wouldn’t match offers to keep him. His conduct publicity in regard to this has been awful.

He's been like this for years. You sign for Lefevre and DQS you know to what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

He’s probably fit for tour but has made the decision to not go maybe because he didn’t get what he wanted.

I'd find that hard to believe. He left Bora because he wasn't getting a shot at the Tour. He went there last year and won the green jersey. In good form and surrounded by a strong team again and if he wins it again it increases his value and bargaining power for a new contract/team.

I'm sure he's fully aware how sprinters fare once they leave Quickstep as well so passing an opportunity like the Tour would be naïve.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I really don't buy him being fit, and saying he isn't to skip the tour, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I really don't buy him being fit, and saying he isn't to skip the tour, to be honest.

Literally the only reason he moved from Bora was to ride the tour. There’s zero chance he opted out of it if fit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Dodge wrote: »
    Literally the only reason he moved from Bora was to ride the tour. There’s zero chance he opted out of it if fit

Lefevere thinks he is fit. Sam doesn't. It's probably as simple as that. Lefevere's public response, insinuating that Sam is lying and calling mental fortitude into question is despicable... But not surprising given his history of turning on his riders once they're no longer of use to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Junior

Lefevere has said on the Injury in the past while "it will need surgery" "he will be back on the bike in a week" and now "he's faking it"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

happytramp wrote: »
    Lefevere thinks he is fit. Sam doesn't. It's probably as simple as that. Lefevere's public response, insinuating that Sam is lying and calling mental fortitude into question is despicable... But not surprising given his history of turning on his riders once they're no longer of use to him.

Quite possible he was told to take a bunch of painkillers and ride into form which is pretty common in cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

happytramp wrote: »
    Lefevere thinks he is fit. Sam doesn't. It's probably as simple as that.

Lefevere saying he’s fit, and Lefevere thinking he’s fit aren’t necessarily the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

Sam saying his knee is okay now but he fears that due to lack of training he would not get through first week of tour and may damage knee and affect his future career doing so, this summation is taken from interview piece with Sam on Stickybottle

I think I can understand now why Lefevere is saying what he is, seems Sam could start but doesnt want to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Why would Sam Bennett go unfit to the Tour ?

This idea of riding into fitness is a bit of a fable...If you are already fit you can get a bit better or race fit with some miles..but that is not everyone by a long shot..most riders get more tired

But if you are unfit then you are going no where ...Sam may not even finish the first week
    The level of fitness you have to have just to complete the stages is unreal

So he rides around France at the back ...He is a sprinter ...he doesn't get sprint fit climbing mountains.

better train for goals he can win in the future than going through the motions at the Tour

Mind you he will need to ride the Vuelta ...hope DQS let him
    He will need the miles in his legs for next season's Tour

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Why would Sam Bennett go unfit to the Tour ?

This idea of riding into fitness is a bit of a fable...If you are already fit you can get a bit better or race fit with some miles..but that is not everyone by a long shot..most riders get more tired

But if you are unfit then you are going no where ...Sam may not even finish the first week
    The level of fitness you have to have just to complete the stages is unreal

So he rides around France at the back ...He is a sprinter ...he doesn't get sprint fit climbing mountains.

better train for goals he can win in the future than going through the motions at the Tour

Mind you he will need to ride the Vuelta ...hope DQS let him
    He will need the miles in his legs for next season's Tour

If I was his employer paying a big salary I would feel very different, the chance that he could come good after a week and win some stages would be the employers focus

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

wpd wrote: »
    If I was his employer paying a big salary I would feel very different, the chance that he could come good after a week and win some stages would be the employers focus

Whereas Sam's focus would be "I might have to climb off less than a week into this race and have done long term damage to my knee! "

PatM65 wrote: »
    Whereas Sam's focus would be "I might have to climb off less than a week into this race and have done long term damage to my knee! "

Yes would seem to be the case and given his knee injury history would seem to be the sensible decision

I wonder if he had not been changing teams would the pressure have forced him to ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

wpd wrote: »

I dont think you even read what I wrote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Well, to be fair, it's possible that they did and just don't agree with you.

from your rude comment its easy to see you didnt read what i wrote

I see both Sean Kelly and Chris Horner think Patrick is a tool and just having a dig because Sam is leaving the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I see both Sean Kelly and Chris Horner think Patrick is a tool and just having a dig because Sam is leaving the team.

This and he is protecting himself, his plan A is gone, his plan B which would have been any of his lead out men seems untenable possibly due to pressure from sponsors or something. So he is now riding a lead sprinter who realistically is going to place but not high up, and if his lead out men are in form, are likely to accidentally beat their sprinter across the line unless they go really early.

• Advertisement

You'd love to see Morkov do it wouldn't you? Not just because he's been great for Sam but because he has the legs to do it. I think he missed out recently possibly leading out Cav I think because he sat up on instinct or was looking for him and ended up 2nd or 3rd where as if he'd kept the hammer down he'd have easily won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Taken from La Flamme Rouge twitter.

Lefevere about S. Bennett on today's Nieuwsblad: "Sam Bennett finally arrived in Belgium this week. Doctor Van Roy examined him at Herentals hospital. It was found that he had nothing or almost nothing on his knee"

Lefevere: "This reinforces my idea that I have already stated: it's more about the fear of failure than an inflammation of the patellar tendon"

Lefevere: "We opened an internal investigation, Sam committed malpractice. He didn’t listen to Yvan Vanmol. Bennett preferred to consult a guru in Monaco, the physiotherapist of Froome"

Lefevere: "We will not let this go. In the contracts of our riders, it is stipulated that they cannot work with doctors outside the team without the approval of our doctors"

Link to article not in English.

https://t.co/Lgal6f7sMb?amp=1

Sean Kelly gave an account of what caused the injury in comms today. Apparently he slipped a chain/gear in sprint training and whacked his knee off the drops. I imagine similar to how Pinot injured himself late into the 2019 tour I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

deise08 wrote: »
    Taken from La Flamme Rouge twitter.

Lefevere about S. Bennett on today's Nieuwsblad: "Sam Bennett finally arrived in Belgium this week. Doctor Van Roy examined him at Herentals hospital. It was found that he had nothing or almost nothing on his knee"

Lefevere: "This reinforces my idea that I have already stated: it's more about the fear of failure than an inflammation of the patellar tendon"

Lefevere: "We opened an internal investigation, Sam committed malpractice. He didn’t listen to Yvan Vanmol. Bennett preferred to consult a guru in Monaco, the physiotherapist of Froome"

Lefevere: "We will not let this go. In the contracts of our riders, it is stipulated that they cannot work with doctors outside the team without the approval of our doctors"

Link to article not in English.

https://t.co/Lgal6f7sMb?amp=1

Look up the past history of Yvan Vanmol. Sam is better off away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

CramCycle wrote: »
    This and he is protecting himself, his plan A is gone, his plan B which would have been any of his lead out men seems untenable possibly due to pressure from sponsors or something. So he is now riding a lead sprinter who realistically is going to place but not high up, and if his lead out men are in form, are likely to accidentally beat their sprinter across the line unless they go really early.

I hate the fact that Cavendish is even at the Tour, but I think people are underestimating him a bit. He did win the final stage in Belgium against Ewan, Merlier etc so I think with the QS lead out, he can win a stage at least. Hope I am wrong, but the ways things have gone, it just seems like destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Look up the past history of Yvan Vanmol. Sam is better off away from him.

But did he pull out of the Tour without seeing the team's doctor? If so, he's taken a big chance on not getting sued.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm offering a professional opinion here.
    When a patient tells you they have pain you accept that at face value.
    A doctor may not find any physical signs and scans may be clear but the pain may still be there and real.
    I'm angry about these comments from qs and think they are very unprofessional at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

RobFowl wrote: »
    I'm offering a professional opinion here.
    When a patient tells you they have pain you accept that at face value.
    A doctor may not find any physical signs and scans may be clear but the pain may still be there and real.
    I'm angry about these comments from qs and think they are very unprofessional at best.

I think Lefevre is going to use this as a justification to give Sam minimal racing for the rest of the season - particularly if Cav doesn't embarrass himself at the Tour

In no way am I making accusations here but there are good/bad reasons why teams don't like you seeing 3rd party doctors. I'm not sure Sam was smart there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I think Lefevre is going to use this as a justification to give Sam minimal racing for the rest of the season - particularly if Cav doesn't embarrass himself at the Tour

Minimal payment also.

Advertisement