Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

Can you imagine any other boss questioning his employees mental health issues in public, you'd think his lawyers would be warning him off saying this stuff.

That said Sam has a few years left at the top of his career so is unlikely to want to get buried in a court case. It might also impact his ability to get future contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I wouldn't begrudge Cav a win and I'd not be a huge fan of the guy over the years. You look at the run he's had over the last 3 years or so, face planting in a TT I think in the middle east, then recovers and hits a bollard in Millan San Remo, then was outside the time cut off halfway through the tour and the virus and trying to get any kind of legs after it.

The guy must have been rock bottom , some of the races he was at and him on tv getting dropped on relatively easy cat 3 or 4 climbs etc.

Putting aside our green hats and Cavendish's difficulty making friends over the years, I think he has been an inspiration in refusing to go away and fcuk off.

I was sure when he failed to make time cut in tour, maybe 3 years ago, that we wouldn't see him again; yet here he is. The best sprinter is out and he has a team built around Sam at his disposal.

I won't begrudge him for sure.

This comes to mind, which for a forum full of fat lads in lycra should be on point
    "Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light
    "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing against Cav but Morkov would be a better choice, leave Cav to follow Morkov if he wants but Morkov on his own has a more realistic chance at the green jersey or a stage win IMO

This isn't a dig at Cav, he is still a quality rider and proved he is still at World Tour level. This is a team decision, Lefevere is seeing more money in everyone talking about Cav and him doing nothing, than a few fans getting a good race and seeing Morkov go for it. It is actually shocking how much airtime Cav is getting. Great for him by the way, if it was me, I'd be loving it, it's all money in the bank for potential sponsors, TV and radio gigs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

I wonder how Cav's win yesterday will effect things... It's been a massive success publicity wise for DQS, will this have softened Lefevere's stance on the issue.... I love things to get resolved to the point that Sam can ride the Vuelta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

rtmie wrote: »
    TBH I'd be amazed to see Cav in the mix for any of the sprint stages at this stage of his career. Been out of it at this level for too long.

I reckon that's part of the reason for PLs ranting. He's picked a team totally around sprints/green jersey rather than punting on a run in yellow for alaphillippe and now knows he doesn't have the ammo.

Two confident predictions this week, this one and "no way will England beat Germany"

Follow me for more hot sports tips ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Cavendish looks to have the form to win on the Champs.

And England look to have the draw to win the Euros!

Will we never be set free?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Cavendish looks to have the form to win on the Champs.

And England look to have the draw to win the Euros!

Will we never be set free?

Will he make it over the mountains, that's the question. If I remember right, Sam only barely made it last year and he's a better climber than Cav. England do have favourable draw but I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Its amazing how Cavendish came back from last season, I remember him struggling to even lead out his sprinter (think it was Bauhaus).

With Morkov guiding him and with Ewan, Sam, Ackermann, Kristoff not there, Alpecin not focussing on one sprinter, Van Aert not contesting, Demare not looking on form, Sagan & Matthews probably a bit past their best it looks like its wide open for him to win 2 or 3 more stages.

Depends of course on luck with crashes, surviving the mountains etc. but he looks to be as fast as any of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,845 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its amazing how Cavendish came back from last season, I remember him struggling to even lead out his sprinter (think it was Bauhaus).

With Morkov guiding him and with Ewan, Sam, Ackermann, Kristoff not there, Alpecin not focussing on one sprinter, Van Aert not contesting, Demare not looking on form, Sagan & Matthews probably a bit past their best it looks like its wide open for him to win 2 or 3 more stages.

Depends of course on luck with crashes, surviving the mountains etc. but he looks to be as fast as any of the others.

The 3 big French sprinters should be ashamed of themselves if they can't get a win this year. Bouhanni at least came 2nd to Cavendish but the other 2 were nowhere in a very weak field by Tour standards

Edit: Sorry though I was on Tour not Sam thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Will he make it over the mountains, that's the question. If I remember right, Sam only barely made it last year and he's a better climber than Cav. England do have favourable draw but I can't see it.

Wasn't last years parcours more brutal than this years? It's interesting that Cav has been targeting intermediate sprints too, maybe he just wanted to wear green but it also kind of hints at bigger picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

If Cav makes it to Paris (possibly in green), that just reinforces my view that Lefevre had intended forcing this conflict all along and had Cav prepping for a three week tour in the background. Probably the worst part of my home-brewed conspiracy theory is it would have required Cav to be complicit in shafting Sam and I don't think Cav is that kind of guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In fairness, I think Cav was prepping to get long term fitness anyway. I'd be surprised if Cav was involved, even if I wouldn't put it past Lefevre.

Whats left this year in terms of racing for Sam? DQS seem to have a full sheet for La Vuelta. Thinking stuff like Poland, Bink Bank and Frankfurt maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Whats left this year in terms of racing for Sam? DQS seem to have a full sheet for La Vuelta. Thinking stuff like Poland, Bink Bank and Frankfurt maybe?

They've already talked about Jakobsen for La Vuelta haven't they?

They've already talked about Jakobsen for La Vuelta haven't they?

Yeah he's down on procyclingstats for it currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Wouldn't be surprised to see Lefevere ostracize Sam for the remainder of the year and try some stunt with cutting his wages. If Sam has signed a decent contract with Bora he could just sit it out out and call Lefevre's bluff. It would be nigh on impossible to have civil relations with him after the mouthing off he's been at

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

La Vuelta is normally the race where people moving are left out, even when relations are otherwise good!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Lefevere ostracize Sam for the remainder of the year and try some stunt with cutting his wages. If Sam has signed a decent contract with Bora he could just sit it out out and call Lefevre's bluff. It would be nigh on impossible to have civil relations with him after the mouthing off he's been at

Have there been cases where guys have moved over earlier when contracts ending so they could race for the other team?
    It would get Sam's wages off DQS books. But Bora would have to be v keen.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

You missed Gronewegen and Jakobsen as well. Man this sprint field is poor, reminds me of the sprints in Cavs prime 08-11. Piss poor. Crazy to imagine what all the top guys in their pre-Covid form going against each other would have been like, I think Bennett might have had his work cut out to get a win.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Have there been cases where guys have moved over earlier when contracts ending so they could race for the other team?
    It would get Sam's wages off DQS books. But Bora would have to be v keen.

Masnada joined DQS with time left to go on his contact but that situation was a little different in that it was known CCC were folding at the end of that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Dont forget Andy Murray

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Next spoiler is getting a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I am sorry I am spoiling the tennis :D

Anyone see this weeks "the cycling show" on ES or GCN? Wonder how long ago the piece with Sam and Mick was filmed? Pre Tour of Belgium I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Can somebody explain briefly for those of us who only follow cycling casually, what's the whole back story behind Bennett of late, and his non participation in the Tour?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He injured his knee on a training ride.

His boss claims he's not injured, and it's an excuse.

That's about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Weepsie wrote: »
    He injured his knee on a training ride.

His boss claims he's not injured, and it's an excuse.

That's about it

Also need to fill in the backstop about him supposedly leaving at the end of the season plus Paddy's outbursts about Sam's mental fortitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Macy0161 wrote: »
    La Vuelta is normally the race where people moving are left out, even when relations are otherwise good!

La Vuelta is fascinating in that regard. You have a mixture of riders who are mid-contract and comfortable, those who missed out on a new contract during the Tour de France wheeling and dealing period, those on the move who their teams can't stand or don't trust, but have to pick because a lot of their other riders have finished for the season, as well as those simply left out as punishment for wanting to further their careers elsewhere.

There was a lot of shift of emphasis towards the Giro and La Vuelta for some riders who just got fed up of Sky/Ineos' dominance in the Tour, and the Tour definitely doesn't have that same central point of focus of the season as it once had. Cycling has changed for the better for it.

Sam isn't the first rider this has happened to. He's likely not even the first rider Lefevere has had the knives out for. Riders often end up in toxic relationships with their teams. What's important is they get out, and get out quickly. While its not better for his cycling career that he's effectively idle now, it will be better for him in the long run, both professionally and personally.

Advertisement