Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

New Home wrote: »
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    I could dance with you till the cows come home. On second thought I'll dance with the cows till you come home :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,056 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Them ‘DryRobe’ harpies inhabiting the rocks like ferrrking King Vultures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I could dance with you till the cows come home. On second thought I'll dance with the cows till you come home :pac:

Good ol Groucho 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

oneweb wrote: »
    Gameshows where the contestants are made to reason their thinking out loudly for an inordinate amount of time.

My dad used to watch Tipping Point - you know the show for people who are too thick for Pointless. The ignorance of some of the contestants was unbelievable, and forcing them to reason their thinking out loud only made them sound worse.

It's probably a bit mean - everybody has gaps in their knowledge base, and a random question can trip anyone up, but some of the basic **** they didn't know...

Them ‘DryRobe’ harpies inhabiting the rocks like ferrrking King Vultures

:D:D that made me laugh, good description!
    I am one of them...... by default! I was given a Dry Robe for my birthday and was mortified the first day I wore it swimming. I soon got over that when it became so much easier to get dressed underneath it in stormy winter weather without flashing the passer bys!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Sitting in my car waiting for a hardware shop to open up after lunch, I was idly watching a cat lounging around in a car-park in front of me.

Said cat was a bit oblivious to the surroundings (licking itself and doing cat things), but a driver exiting the car-park surely wasn't. No, the driver instead paid no heed to the cat, driving straight towards it without slowing down. Thankfully, the cat scampered at the very last micro-second, but it appeared to get its tail caught by one of the tyres in escaping. BMW owner, so clearly is in more of a hurry than anyone else.

I am not usually an animal activist sort, but it really appalled me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Sitting in my car waiting for a hardware shop to open up after lunch, I was idly watching a cat lounging around in a car-park in front of me.

Said cat was a bit oblivious to the surroundings (licking itself and doing cat things), but a driver exiting the car-park surely wasn't. No, the driver instead paid no heed to the cat, driving straight towards it without slowing down. Thankfully, the cat scampered at the very last micro-second, but it appeared to get its tail caught by one of the tyres in escaping. BMW owner, so clearly is in more of a hurry than anyone else.

I am not usually an animal activist sort, but it really appalled me.

My neighbour's cat was deliberately ran over and killed several years ago. I get that a lot of people are not cat people, and it seems to be some kind of cool hobby to hate them, but FFS there's no need for deliberate cruelty. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Antares35 wrote: »
    My neighbour's cat was deliberately ran over and killed several years ago. I get that a lot of people are not cat people, and it seems to be some kind of cool hobby to hate them, but FFS there's no need for deliberate cruelty. :(

I find it disgusting. I grew up in a staunch Anglican household and every Sunday when we'd be driving home, the cat would appear in front of the car and my Da would make this show of pretending to run her over. Every. Single. Time.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

My arthritis is killing me. Poor me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Being a slave to my Fitbit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Being a slave to my Fitbit.

The Apple Watch has a fitness tracker on it, gets me needlessly competitive with it.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Went back to work today and my boss made me feel like total **** within the space of 3 minutes for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I don't even know if she was aware of what she was saying/doing but she left me in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

Got in the door, and she starts with a compliment "Hello, oh lovely you're in the white shirt today very strapping" (I'm a cleaner and she likes it when her workers wear some sort of uniform, so that put a [temporary] smile on her face)

"Are ya ready to get back into it? Well you must be since you've had yourself a 3 month holiday" (Far from a holiday living off ~200 only having enough to buy pot noodles for dinners so I can pay for the bills in this house)

"And lets hope you don't waste this opportunity after the last two times" (Last year she pulled me out of a place I was working in because I reported a co-worker for bullying me. At the time she was being lovely about it but 8 months later for some reason she's using it as a passive-aggressive jab at me. The second incident was in January where I had to leave early for a family emergency but she gave me an ultimatum that if I left I wouldn't be allowed to work in there again (HSE regulations. I'd be deemed unreliable because I left early). So she pulled me out because I decided my family came first. Still an ongoing issue but not that relevant.. But yeah, I'm the one that wasted it...)

I wear a hat when my hair starts to get too long, which she's aware of... "What are you doing wearing that for? Did ya not get your hair cut?" I said no because the barbers are closed since New Years "Ah sure we've all had ways to get our hair cut you should've done something at least" You've had Michael in your employ for about 15 years and he's never without his hat and you've never said a thing to him so why TF are you criticising me for wearing one?

This next one was the worst for me personally, because it felt like a mild betrayal as what she did was one of many things that bitch last year done to me that I reported for bullying.

I said to her "Right, so can you just run me through my duties in here again. Just as a refresher so that I'm not rusty"... her response "I swear, David I'm losing my ****ing patience with you" Then followed it up with "How old are you, 31? Come on so". I am fully against not being there for an employee/coworker when they need help with anything. A boss should be approachable for anything, and she said this to me at the start of the job "if you're stuck or your need anything, come to me". Here I am coming to her for a 10-second toolbox talk and she gets tick at me for it. That coworker I reported did the same thing, where whenever I asked her a question, she'd tell me, then when I'd repeat it back for clarification she got angry at me and told me "were you not listening to me or what?".

Then she proceeded to tutor me how to clean a bathroom, which is not what I asked, to which I said "I know how to clean a bathroom, this is not what I asked you to do"

So in the space of 3-4 minutes I had a passive-aggressive remark about being on a 3-month "holiday" and two prior positions I was no longer in, my choice to wear a hat and not cut my own hair, and calling me childish for asking to get a quick walkthrough on what I need to do. Thanks. Thanks a lot. I'll have 6 more hours of misery please.

I have never been at odds with her like this before and she has never once lectured me in this manner, in this tone, since I started working for her. After she left I got one of her coworkers (she's in charge of staff) to organise a meeting with her at her office tomorrow. Not happy being spoken to like that.

I got a call back from said person in charge of staff, who told me I can go into the office for 2pm. I said "before I do this, am I in any sort of trouble?" Her words were "Oh no no no no she just doesn't like confrontation and would rather sort it out before anything gets worse"

I will keep my back up, because I've had this kind of meeting before, someone always raises a voice and it's never me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Herself leaving the shower on a ridiculously hot temperature that you can't even touch it, I don't know what the need to have it so hot for unless you are using it to make tea or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Herself leaving the shower on a ridiculously hot temperature that you can't even touch it, I don't know what the need to have it so hot for unless you are using it to make tea or something

I'm guilty of this :p

OH tends to be very thoughtful with gifts, but can never accept if something needs to be changed, and so every so often I end up with something I really like but is completely defunct. He was sweet enough to remember I like a certain type of Welly, but got the slim fit ones rather than the ones with the adjustable buckle. So I asked if I could change them and he got all offended saying he thought they were the ones I like. Same with pjs he got me recently. One pair a size 14, grand. Another pair a size 10, clearly not grand. Again, I wasn't allowed change them because they're a gift or they "might fit sure". FFS they won't. Then he gets annoyed if I don't use the god damned things. I'm going to just sell the lot online and buy my own wellies and pjs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

When you see a set of green traffic lights about 20 metres ahead of you and they turn red just before you get to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

This is going to be a tricky one, because I'm basically giving out about people with a disability. :eek:

Do we really have to have a sign language interpreter at so many covid/government briefings? I mean, what's it costing us (the taxpayer) to have those ****ers standing there throwing shapes at every minor update? I know as a society we should always be striving to be more inclusive, but I wonder is this an issue we could sort out cheaper with tech? Couldn't we just give them a speech to text app? I'm not trying to leave deaf people out of the loop - just thinking we could do this cheaper without losing much, if anything.

And if we're being inclusive, why stop there? A quick google says there's only 90,000 deaf people in Ireland to make use of this. 2011 census figures say there was 119,526 native Polish speakers in the country at the time - would it make more sense to have a Polish translator there instead? There seems to be a thriving little Brazilian (the nationality) community in Cork - could they get their covid updates in Portuguese?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

The refusal of some colleagues to take responsibility for a query or at least read the email chain before you reply.
    - customer has a question about a food business that's forwarded to me from general enquiries
    - nothing to do with me so i forward it to the team I think might deal with it - the food team.
    - food team don't want to deal with it. Think it might be the planning team. But they don't send it to the planning team, they send it back to general enquiries.
    - general enquiries sends it back to my team.
    - I sigh and send it on to the planning team.
    - the planning team say it's not them and send it back to general enquiries again.
    - general enquiries sends it back to me for a third time.
    - I sigh again and respond to the customer saying that I'm very sorry but no one here knows what he's talking about and we can't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I mean, what's it costing us (the taxpayer) to have those ****ers standing there throwing shapes at every minor update?

Whatever about your general feelings about the use of tax payers money for government communication, I think this statement is pretty distasteful. I don't think it's in the spirit of the thread at all. That's my TA for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

This is going to be a tricky one, because I'm basically giving out about people with a disability. :eek:

Do we really have to have a sign language interpreter at so many covid/government briefings? I mean, what's it costing us (the taxpayer) to have those ****ers standing there throwing shapes at every minor update? I know as a society we should always be striving to be more inclusive, but I wonder is this an issue we could sort out cheaper with tech? Couldn't we just give them a speech to text app? I'm not trying to leave deaf people out of the loop - just thinking we could do this cheaper without losing much, if anything.

And if we're being inclusive, why stop there? A quick google says there's only 90,000 deaf people in Ireland to make use of this. 2011 census figures say there was 119,526 native Polish speakers in the country at the time - would it make more sense to have a Polish translator there instead? There seems to be a thriving little Brazilian (the nationality) community in Cork - could they get their covid updates in Portuguese?

Yeah, its not like deaf people chose to be deaf. Or that Polish people decided to move to an English speaking country and not bother to learn the language.

TAd at myself for speaking in sarcastic tones.

• Advertisement

People can choose to learn the language of the country they decide to make a home/ life for themselves in. If they don't do that, then they can't very well complain about being left out. But a person with hearing difficulty cannot just decide to start hearing again. I'd be more annoyed about the money we haemorrhage on translating official documents to Irish to appease like, four people in the West who refuse to speak English and wish to make themselves relevant by being awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Insurance companies ringing you after you got a quote online to review the details and see if they can apply discounts to get a better price once they hear you have a better offer. If that wasn’t your best price online, what’s the point? I already put in my details, I’m not going to go through them all again so yo can press a magic button somewhere that suddenly knocks a hundred euro off the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

You see this all over Boards. 'My current wife'. How many wives have you had then. Thinly veiled boasting and bragging

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Insurance companies ringing you after you got a quote online to review the details and see if they can apply discounts to get a better price once they hear you have a better offer. If that wasn’t your best price online, what’s the point? I already put in my details, I’m not going to go through them all again so yo can press a magic button somewhere that suddenly knocks a hundred euro off the quote.

Yes, absolutely. It's bad enough at home but when pricing anything in a work capacity the amount of chasing around you have to do is disgraceful. People see a civil service email address and dollar signs pop up where their eyeballs used to be.

"Hi, I'm looking to get X done, what is your best price?"
    "We can do that for €4,000.....plus VAT"
    "Ok, thanks, but we've gone with another supplier"
    "Well how much are they quoting you?"
    "I'm afraid I can't divulge that information, you wouldn't like it if I started publishing your contract prices, would you?"
    "Ok, how about I do the job for €2,000 plus VAT?"
    "I'm sorry, we've decided to go with another supplier, thank you for your time and....."
    "OKAY, A GRAND!!! I'LL DO IT FOR A GRAND!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Power outage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I inhaled a fly on my run. Been hacking like a mofo ever since. I'm annoying myself at this stage.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You sound really buzzed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

It's Saint Patrick's Day, not Paddy's Day and most definitely not Patty's Day which was on a corporate e-card (another piece of marketing gob****tery) that popped up in my inbox at work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I'm sore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

It's Saint Patrick's Day, not Paddy's Day and most definitely not Patty's Day which was on a corporate e-card (another piece of marketing gob****tery) that popped up in my inbox at work today.

Send them a response saying dont forget Selma, they are twins so its her day too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement