Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

kanuseeme wrote: »
    How many BEV's are there in the country now? New and imported?
    How many times do you need to be in a situation like that before you make up your mind on what car you will buy next?
    I think the Hub building will always be playing catch up.

Previous years' sales were put up by another poster. I can't find them but total sales per annum are rising fast.

The problem is not necessarily the four BEV drivers at one charge point today but the tens of thousands of ICE drivers who know the hubs don't exist and won't consider an EV until they see physical infrastructure.

Unfortunately yes it will but funding given from government should have been used to create infrastructure such as hubs ahead of EV sales, in order to promote EV sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭McGiver

ELM327 wrote:
    If you put a slow charger somewhere you will be putting it somewhere where people will go for a number of hours going about their regular business. If you introduce "overstay" fees (you can't overstay on a standard charger IMO but thats another story) you will disincentivize their use. Who will leave the cinema mid way through a film, end a work meeting early, take a bus or train back to the charger half way through work, tell the mrs it's time to leave the clothes shopping at Dundrum etc etc. Not to mention a charger near a hotel, expecting guests to move at 3am after a night in the restaurant and bar is not on.
    Well the Mrs already has to do it in Paris, London and Berlin.

I don't really support overstay fees, that's a bad implementation. All what I'm saying is that time based charging (per min fee from a certain cutoff point) makes business sense, is likely to come with more EVs on the road and indeed is already reality in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

First 150kW ESB charger is installed at Galway plaza and in use. Says 150kW CCS 70kW Chademo, no pricing listed on esb app unlike other 50kW charger. Must have gone in today. Photos on.plugshare app, already Chademo user hogging it ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So it’s 1 CCS & 1 Chademo on the 150kW...

So 2 units (1 150kW & 1 50kW) can charge 2 cars at once. 3 if someone uses the AC 43 on the older unit.

#Progress

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

So it’s 1 CCS & 1 Chademo on the 150kW...

So 2 units (1 150kW & 1 50kW) can charge 2 cars at once. 3 if someone uses the AC 43 on the older unit.

#Progress

I think the "high powered" ones can run both? so... 3 cars on dc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

107730522_970983610029910_4605243251361697709_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=OFamtYiQm9QAX986zbD&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=c3a17f6ae395c97dcdf4738d0158cc44&oe=5F2E8F29

Attached is a screenshot showing the ccs being free with chademo connected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Is that currently free of charge?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »
    Is that currently free of charge?

That's what the app says. No cost to charge. Surely be fixed shortly.

Also, if that screenshot was recent, that chademo car was plugged in for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Yes, that's it. To the left you can see you will be in a yellow box blocking the entrance so I can never see that as viable. To the right where the Model 3P is parked is the Disabled Parking (car is blocking the blue box) so that 3 is illegally parked (assuming no blue badge)

That whole stretch is in the process of being upgraded. The parking spaces will be realigned to suit the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

graememk wrote: »
    I think the "high powered" ones can run both? so... 3 cars on dc.

Will it charge both sides ... CCS and CHAdeMO at the same time ?

• Advertisement

Irishjg wrote: »
    Will it charge both sides ... CCS and CHAdeMO at the same time ?

Yes, load balanced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭McGiver

Yes, load balanced though.
    Well as all Chademo cars around here are 50 kW DC capable (L62 is a rarity), does it mean 100 kW remaining for the CCS?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

McGiver wrote: »
    Well as all Chademo cars around here are 50 kW DC capable (L62 is a rarity), does it mean 100 kW remaining for the CCS?

Why would chademo get max , what happens if a taycan or etron 55 pulls up :D

Wouldn't surprise me if eCars tuned it so both cars only get 40kW, for the lolz

From what I've seen most Leaf 24/30 will only pull 43kW so this would mean just over 100kW for the CCS side.
    But that could be too simplistic or if correct probably not what is going to happen.
    I have a Leaf and Tesla so if it was closer would hook both up to see for myself.
    Someone's bound to do it soon, hopefully someone will report back reality and not our keyboard assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm heading there later to test. Hopefully someone will be there with chademo to test

Thar she blows

590753.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Thar she blows

I love how the ESB has tried to reach peak awful aesthetic design. "Make it look like a vending machine from the 90s"

Just thinking, this is where a Tesla CHAdeMo adapter would prove handy if both charger's CCS in use.
    I do believe there are different versions of it though so I just couldn't be bothered looking into it....

Any yet again we have short cables, I'll be parking the CHAdeMo side to charge the Tesla

• Advertisement

Absolutely.
    There are different versions. I have a version C which Tesla updated to the latest firmware. Without the update, version D or later is needed to charge facelift cars.

LOL, just flicking back there on this charge point, they just put in a High Power to replace a brand new Fast Charger that was installed just last XMas, I mean talk about operational inefficiencies

It's offline now too.
    #ecars

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don't understand - why waste so much of the short length of the charging cable by placing it a good 2 metres above any given cars charging port? They've designed it like a petrol pump, without actually positioning it like a petrol pump.

Perhaps they don't want it trailing on the ground?
    Looking at the picture if it was any lower it would be touching the ground.

I doubt that's a problem, they're incredibly well insulated and trail on the ground all the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

MJohnston wrote: »
    I doubt that's a problem, they're incredibly well insulated and trail on the ground all the time anyway.

The short length is to prevent people driving over the plugs which they do regularly and the cables and plugs are crazy expensive. They replaced 3 in one month alone. However I agree they are too short for proper use. They should allow parking on all sides allowing 4 parking space options.
    Significant damage is being caused to chargers, particularly connector heads.
    It may be newer less experienced drivers who are unaware of how to unlock the cables from their vehicles and people failing to replace the connectors carefully back in the cradle.
    Over the last while 10 Fast AC, 6 CCS and 5 CHAdeMO cables have been replaced. Including the site
    visit to replace the cables this cost has amounted to more than €20,000. This high level of replacement
    also affects availability to customers once normal level of spare parts is exhausted.

zg3409 wrote: »
    The short length is to prevent people driving over the plugs which they do regularly and the cables and plugs are crazy expensive. They replaced 3 in one month alone. However I agree they are too short for proper use. They should allow parking on all sides allowing 4 parking space options.

Just make them auto-retractable cables, just like petrol pumps!

Except they don't trail all the time, not when back in their "holster" and not when charging if you look at the photo, no matter where I park they will deffo not be touching the ground for me and that's for sure.
    Anyhow, is what it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Just make them auto-retractable cables, just like petrol pumps!

I doubt they would easily coil like a petrol hose would but they could retract it some bit alright... a few extra feet would make all the difference.

Advertisement