Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Getting quoted 3.65 base this week. Will hold to next week to see if there is another 5c... but afraid to say I see a drop in 3/4 weeks... neighbour of mine finishes about 1,500+ serious operation. But a few years ago he said the risk for the return was way out of kilter.. leases the operation to a factory now but he is still out buying land!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

€3.65 base price for heifers this week in liffey meats cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ruwithme wrote: »

3.65 becoming common all over the place.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Seen LM heifers sold in Carnaross today
    710 Kgs €1,510
    685 Kgs €1,590
    630 Kgs €1,610
    615 Kgs €1,630
    Serious heifers and a credit to the farmer who owned them but them prices would suggest a that more than €3:65 is available somewhere.
    €2:20 per kg was available free and ready for any heifer near fit

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

ruwithme wrote: »

Getting more for bullocks at start of this weej

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    710 Kgs €1,510
    685 Kgs €1,590
    630 Kgs €1,610
    615 Kgs €1,630
    Serious heifers and a credit to the farmer who owned them but them prices would suggest a that more than €3:65 is available somewhere.

That looks like there was a falling out around the ring in the lighter the heifer the more they made

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

710 Kgs €1,510
    685 Kgs €1,590
    630 Kgs €1,610
    615 Kgs €1,630

Lads with yellow reg’s doing the buying i’d Say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

710 Kgs €1,510
    685 Kgs €1,590
    630 Kgs €1,610
    615 Kgs €1,630

We’d be fools to send heifers to the factory at that rate of going.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

3.65 becoming common all over the place.

Have 2 bullocks just coming up on the age. Lad that takes them for me rang me earlier, so booked in for next Wednesday 3.65 and possibly 3.70

Lads with yellow reg’s doing the buying i’d Say

Carnaross would be a good spot for the yellow regs. But if they can give a good price there is no reason why the factories can't give a bit more too.

• Advertisement

That looks like there was a falling out around the ring in the lighter the heifer the more they made

Think that was on line, but just might have been a lad sitting up the back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Dunedin

British prices seems to around €4.20-30 at the moment.

Can anyone remember what it was last year at the time of the strike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Dunedin wrote: »
    British prices seems to around €4.20-30 at the moment.

Can anyone remember what it was last year at the time of the strike?

England and Ireland were similar prices, it was one of the reasons that the strike was pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

wrangler wrote: »
    England and Ireland were similar prices, it was one of the reasons that the strike was pointless

Brexit was the excuse that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭morphy87

Getting more for bullocks at start of this weej

Where they agnus? How long more will they stay rising and where do lads think they will settle price wise?

Jjameson wrote: »
    It stopped further cuts and it drew a line in the sand. It’s the lowest price cheapest beef that sets the price not the dearest. Our inaction dragged uk farmers into the gutter with us.

Where are the ifa led protests now that you claim are a prerequisite requirement for justified protest or what’s the magic differential ?

I’m glad to see the challenge on the competition authority and that in itself makes your bluster look very silly.

If you attended as many pointless protests as I have you wouldn't be looking for another one.
    Did you not learn last year that processors only laugh at you at the gates, and they definitely won't give in to the farmers at the gate.
    But sure I told you that last year

Jjameson wrote: »
    The mistake was not recognising the game changer that was there.
    When the court injunction can’t be served on an organisation, only an individual and you have “who will take my place” scanario a total full blockade can run for a sustained period. Mistakes were made no doubt and with all the chaos some headbangers got soapboxes to stand and represent us that I wouldn’t even like to share oxygen with.

In terms of My participation ever again.. No chance. Beef farming is simply divided into two categories. The Haves, and the Have nots. I’m in the latter group and beef price inconsequential while sfp payments and pensions are my competition at the sales ring.

Beef farming is the easy life farming and as such will be the enterprise of choice by those so inclined.
    The winter finishers now going for the same easy life and changing to selling July to October will only make it worse, cattle that should be gone out of sheds now turning up at the factories in August will surely aggravate the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Beef farming is the easy life farming and as such will be the enterprise of choice by those so inclined.
    The winter finishers now going for the same easy life and changing to selling July to October will only make it worse, cattle that should be gone out of sheds now turning up at the factories in August will surely aggravate the situation.

Economics or business planning not really relevant to you?

Danzy wrote: »
    Economics or business planning not really relevant to you?

I Presume that's a question, Economics of beef farming isn't relevant here since 2005.
    I was agreeing with the previous post in thet the pension and BPS and even parttimers was distorting trade and extra cattle for killing in August wasn't going to help.
    Demand is improving so you wouldn't know this year, lambs are a flying trade despite there being a higher national kill. Lamb factories don't have an axe to grind with sheep farmers though, no revenge being sought.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So now you're agreeing that the factory beef price is being kept artificially low.
    If we go back a small while you were telling us price was low because that was all was in the market.
    BTW if price is being kept artificially low, then this can only be the result of a cartel.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    So now you're agreeing that the factory beef price is being kept artificially low.
    If we go back a small while you were telling us price was low because that was all was in the market.
    BTW if price is being kept artificially low, then this can only be the result of a cartel.
    If,you look back to last year, the english price was only 10c over the Irish price, there's supposedly 40c/kg in it now so they could rise the price a bit
    Isn't it obvious that there's a difference in attitude to farmers of lamb processors and beef processors and we're supplying lambs to one of Larrys' factories. .........€115 yesterday for 42kg lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If,you look back to last year, the english price was only 10c over the Irish price, there's supposedly 40c/kg in it now so they could rise the price a bit
    Isn't it obvious that there's a difference in attitude to farmers of lamb processors and beef processors and we're supplying lambs to one of Larrys' factories. .........€115 yesterday for 42kg lambs

I know you said economics don't matter, a unique take, comparing Lamb to Beef is like comparing beef to Potatoes.

The demand difference, supply differences, are that different.

I know you said economics don't matter, a unique take, comparing Lamb to Beef is like comparing beef to Potatoes.

Read the post again, I said it's not relevant HERE since 2005 because there's no cattle here since then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Not so. There are some differences but substantially the same. Many suppliers and small number of factories buying a perishable product.
    If anything, lamb suppliers have lesser latitude when selling stock.

I do think factories are being stingy with the beef price at the moment.
    It has shifted up though and I would expect further moves up in the next few weeks.

Good loser wrote: »
    Not so. There are some differences but substantially the same. Many suppliers and small number of factories buying a perishable product.
    If anything, lamb suppliers have lesser latitude when selling stock.

I do think factories are being stingy with the beef price at the moment.
    It has shifted up though and I would expect further moves up in the next few weeks.

There's definitely more good will in the lamb processors in that it tracks the English prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

3.70 base this weeks steers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭morphy87

locha wrote: »
    3.70 base this weeks steers
    That’s good to hear, hopefully they might rise another bit in the coming weeks, I wonder what’s the reason for the rise, a shortage?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jd06

morphy87 wrote: »
    That’s good to hear, hopefully they might rise another bit in the coming weeks, I wonder what’s the reason for the rise, a shortage?

Was quoted 3.65 for bullocks
    3.70 heifers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

*walks in door

I haven’t been here in a while what have I missed?......

*leaves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Dunedin

*walks in door

*leaves

Cattle hit an all time low of €2.90 prompting Wrangler into swift action. An all-our strike of the factories coupled with a tractor and bike protest in Dublin City resulted in rise to €4.50 base - all thanks to Wrangler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

*walks in door

*leaves

The Irish Factories Association rep has admitted in a moment of madness that the beef price paid to Irish farmers has nothing to do with supply and demand but is set by a price fixing cartel of beef barons.

tanko wrote: »
    The Irish Factories Association rep has admitted in a moment of madness that the beef price paid to Irish farmers has nothing to do with supply and demand but is set by a price fixing cartel of beef barons.

And alas stupid farmers still persist in producing beef cattle for those same beef barons so those same farmers can whinge and whinge an......
    It's a joke really, it's when you write it down you see how really sad it is

And alas stupid farmers still persist in producing beef cattle for those same beef barons so those same farmers can whinge and whinge an......
    It's a joke really, it's when you write it down you see how really sad it is

Why do we keep doing it ?tis very frustrating...lads talking bout 3.70 thinking it's good ****ing waste of time

richie123 wrote: »
    Why do we keep doing it ?tis very frustrating...lads talking bout 3.70 thinking it's good ****ing waste of time

A lot of land now changing to dairying now and to serving dairy farmers, good to see farmers now copping on,even if it took so long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A lot of land now changing to dairying now and to serving dairy farmers, good to see farmers now copping on,even if it took so long

Would that not be more calves for Larry & co?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

more calves .....with less meat on them.

Why would any one feed calves if they're claiming they're losing money on them, That's just being stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A female goat only needs to kid every three years. We'd better start cross breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jd06

jd06 wrote: »
    Was quoted 3.65 for bullocks
    3.70 heifers

Anymore quotes for the following week

Why would any one feed calves if they're claiming they're losing money on them, That's just being stupid

Sure it is pure and simple !

• Advertisement

Sure it is pure and simple !

Yea, simple, like thinking you can tell independent processors how to run their business........ not gonna happen.
    Influence the problem where you can, don't buy the calves if you're losing money on them, simple as that.
    Gross margin here on sheep was €800 - €1000/ha, it makes a huge difference when the enterprise is making money and you can pocket the BPS

Yea, simple, like thinking you can tell independent processors how to run their business........ not gonna happen.
    Influence the problem where you can, don't buy the calves if you're losing money on them, simple as that.
    Gross margin here on sheep was €800 - €1000/ha, it makes a huge difference when the enterprise is making money and you can pocket the BPS

The way the tax system is set up and Brussels acting the ****e with regards to future payments potentially tied to numbers a farmer would have is distorting the market.
    If these two issues were cleared up
    A lot of lads myself included would exit beef in the morning.
    I think that answers your question regarding mad calf prices.theyre still the cheapest way to get into stock.

The way the tax system is set up and Brussels acting the ****e with regards to future payments potentially tied to numbers a farmer would have is distorting the market.
    If these two issues were cleared up
    A lot of lads myself included would exit beef in the morning.
    I think that answers your question regarding mad calf prices.theyre still the cheapest way to get into stock.

You should check the tax implications with your accountant, I've destocked twice with no implications.
    EU extending the 2013 CAP reform by three years leaves planning very difficult, it'll put fifty grand in my pocket over those three extra years so can't complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kk.man

Got a text from the mart looking for beef cattle. Never got a text like it before. The northern buyers must be buying big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

kk.man wrote: »
    Got a text from the mart looking for beef cattle. Never got a text like it before. The northern buyers must be buying big time.

The father was passing through enniscorthy this morning and he was commenting on the amount of trailers going to the Mart.
    Normally it's a dead place.

It seems the online sales have kickstarted a new era for marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭KAMG

The marts are the way to go at the moment alright. The factories are some shower really. Sent a few cattle to factory last week and got another screwing. Any of ye ever hear of a LM cross bullock grading O-?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

KAMG wrote: »
    The marts are the way to go at the moment alright. The factories are some shower really. Sent a few cattle to factory last week and got another screwing. Any of ye ever hear of a LM cross bullock grading O-?

Yes lots from the dairy herd do

@ KAMG yes I have had them, out of dairy herds and would have reared them.
    But some factories have gone very tight on the grading lately, friend had HE heifers grade P's lately they are out of his dairy cows and the same HE bull he as had for 7 years. This is the first years he has gotten P's and the quality of his heifers hasn't changed.
    Beef cattle in the marts are a flying trade at the minute, €2 / Kg for Fr's, up to €2:50 /Kg for good continentals, not a hope getting that type of money in the factory.
    Seen a few 4 year old bullocks in Carnaross yesterday around 1,000 kgs making €2,100, if an ordinary farmer had them no factory would take them and they would be cut for been over age and over weight. Yet yesterday the factory agents were mad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭KAMG

Thanks for the replies lads. That's fair enough. I still think I was screwed though. I buy yearling bullocks from the same man every year and finish them to same factory approx 15 months later. Mostly HEX but some LMX. They all done really well this year. Most of them getting into 3+ to 4+ on fat. And O+/R- on conformation. I sent the last few last week and they were similar but definitely not as good as the rest sent. However, when the results came in, they were all far less than I had expected. I think they have access in some way to your herd profile and they knew they were the last ones to be killed this year so they could get away with going to town on them!

KAMG wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads. That's fair enough. I still think I was screwed though. I buy yearling bullocks from the same man every year and finish them to same factory approx 15 months later. Mostly HEX but some LMX. They all done really well this year. Most of them getting into 3+ to 4+ on fat. And O+/R- on conformation. I sent the last few last week and they were similar but definitely not as good as the rest sent. However, when the results came in, they were all far less than I had expected. I think they have access in some way to your herd profile and they knew they were the last ones to be killed this year so they could get away with going to town on them!
    I would agree with you that the factories can do what they like when they have your cattle on the line, my thinking would be that as the price has risen they have turned back the grading machine a shade. Like at the end of the day when you are buying meat in the supermarket you done know is it a U grade animal or a P grade animal it came from.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement