Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Clegg wrote: »
    Hernan looks a good prospect, but there's such a logjam of talented opensides in the senior squad that it's hard to see where he'd fit even two or three years down the line. VDF is the oldest of that cohort and he's just turned 27.

New SOB might be in a better position at blindside as there's only Ruddock and maybe Josh Murphy ahead of him there.

large assumption that Leavy continues at 7 there and that both Connors and Penny stick around.

Hernan is pretty light for a pro backrow, maybe they want to see how he carries the added weight etc. Obviously they are still evaluating him as he is more than good enough to get an offer from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

large assumption that Leavy continues at 7 there and that both Connors and Penny stick around.

Hernan is pretty light for a pro backrow, maybe they want to see how he carries the added weight etc. Obviously they are still evaluating him as he is more than good enough to get an offer from elsewhere.
    We'd certainly take him up north tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭luke9311

presume he will get a chance to a earn a place this summer.

Good player could do with bulking up tho very light I think someone told me he’s about 85-88kg for a backrower

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Purist98

luke9311 wrote: »
    Good player could do with bulking up tho very light I think someone told me he’s about 85-88kg for a backrower

92kg according to his Irish Rugby profile, still quite light

Purist98 wrote: »
    92kg according to his Irish Rugby profile, still quite light

Thought he was lighter but yeah totally agree 92kg is still light for that position in saying that tho I remember leavy coming out of school at around 85kg in the academy and well injury free we all know how good he is

• Advertisement

Soroka only ended up playing one game, didn't he? Still u20 next year as well so the coaches must rate him well enough, looked very good against England. Smith should be competing with the other back three players in the academy immediately imo (O'Sullivan, Silvester, Turner), he looks really sharp down the touchline and is physical enough. I thought SOB looked handier than Hernan and he looks like he could play across the backrow. Wasn't as impressed with Hernan as others I guess, thought he lacked the physicality and wasn't sure what he could do to a high enough level that I'd want him lining out every week in the backrow, if that makes sense?

One of the hookers will be gutted to miss out. Sheehan and McKee are decent enough players, but I suspect the coaches would have wanted to see how the rest of the games played out. Barron coming up behind them as well, so no need to rush a decision. Can always bring someone in mid year.

The sub academy should be competitive - quite a few handy players coming out of school, certinaly a few back three players who could get a contract somewhere. Then there's the likes of Joe McCarthy. Thought he might have done enough to sneak in, looked very physical for an u19 and with Dowling leaving, and fardy and toner getting along there's another spot in the row open. No harm in waiting a year, didn't get much game time this year.

Always thought Dowling in a way was like Beirne in many ways... a lot of his academy time was spent out injured and/or not given enough chances at senior level and we never really saw his true potential although that’s hard to come by with how spoilt Leinster are with talent. Hopefully he gets his chance out west and really kicks on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Always thought Dowling in a way was like Beirne in many ways... a lot of his academy time was spent out injured and/or not given enough chances at senior level and we never really saw his true potential although that’s hard to come by with how spoilt Leinster are with talent. Hopefully he gets his chance out west and really kicks on

Similarly enough to beirne, he seems to be versatile enough in covering lock/ backrow. Where would you say he’s best suited to?

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Similarly enough to beirne, he seems to be versatile enough in covering lock/ backrow. Where would you say he’s best suited to?

Yeah was thinking that I’ve seen him play abit with Lansdowne he was mainly second row for them and I think throughout his time in school with michaels he was second row as well all the way up. Hard to say isn’t it? Personally I’d be asking the bigger question as to where do Connacht struggle more with? 2nd row department or back row? Think that will answer the question really I think it’s where there struggling more position wise it where they will play him think Connacht we’re trying to nab him too coz of his versitility tbh

Wegians89 wrote: »

his best position is 6.

Top 5 academy prospects by province:

Ulster
    1. David McCann(Blindside/U21)
    2. Tom Stewart(Hooker/U20)
    3. Ethan McIlroy(Wing-Fullback/U21)
    4. Lewis Finlay(Scrumhalf/U21)
    5. Hayden Hyde(Centre/U21)

Munster
    1. Tom Ahern(Lock/U21)
    2. John Hodnett(Openside/U22)
    3. Josh Wycherley(LH Prop/U22)
    4. Ben Healy(Outhalf/U22)
    5. Jack Crowley(Outhalf/U21)

Connacht
    1. Dylan Tierney Martin(Hooker/U22)
    2. Ciaran Booth(Backrow/U21)
    3. Oran McNulty(Fullback/U21)
    4. Shane Jennings(Outside Back/U20)
    5. Oisin McCormack(Openside/U20)

Will wait to do Leinster's when they announce their academy for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Ulster

Munster
    1. Tom Ahern(Lock/U21)

Connacht

Jennings and McCormack are better prospects than mcnulty and booth as is darragh Murray arguably was

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Jennings and McCormack are better prospects than mcnulty and booth as is darragh Murray arguably was

in theory, but have yet to prove quality at u20 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

Doak would have to be in the top five Ulster players, he was ahead of Finlay in selection last year during the A games.

RuPi wrote: »
    Doak would have to be in the top five Ulster players, he was ahead of Finlay in selection last year during the A games.

Doak needs to prove his quality at u20 level for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Ulster

Munster
    1. Tom Ahern(Lock/U21)

Connacht

I'm not as high on DTM as most others seem to be, but I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Gonna assume since they didn’t name it... their sub academy is made up of a lot of that michaels sct side from last season always though hickey Barron at hooker, cosgrave and Boyle the prop would walk into the academy or sub academy given their standout performances in senior cup over last two seasons....

Mark hernan pick up anything anywhere even abroad? I know he was sub academy And Ireland u20 for abit last season good player although questions were raised about how light he was though for his position. Can’t remember if cillian redmond the winger was involved with any academy/sub academy training squads or not last year I know he was involved in the u20 interpros start of last season haven’t heard from him in a provincial or national setting since tho. Seen him play for lansdowne a bit tho

Mark hernan pick up anything anywhere even abroad? I know he was sub academy And Ireland u20 for abit last season good player although questions were raised about how light he was though for his position. Can’t remember if cillian redmond the winger was involved with any academy/sub academy training squads or not last year I know he was involved in the u20 interpros start of last season haven’t heard from him in a provincial or national setting since tho. Seen him play for lansdowne a bit tho

still involved with leinster sub-academy.

redmonds a decent player but was released from sub academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

So excluding lads just out of school, what players that missed out on Leinster academy should one of the other provinces should swoop for?

• Advertisement

FrannoFan wrote: »
    So excluding lads just out of school, what players that missed out on Leinster academy should one of the other provinces should swoop for?

Mark Hernan?
    Bobby Sheehan?
    Marcus Hanan?
    Harry Noonan?
    Luis Faria?

Not sure if any standout really, Hernan maybe if he can prove he can stay healthy and carry the required weight.

Gonna assume since they didn’t name it... their sub academy is made up of a lot of that michaels sct side from last season always though hickey Barron at hooker, cosgrave and Boyle the prop would walk into the academy or sub academy given their standout performances in senior cup over last two seasons....
    may br a few of them in the sub academy. Imagine karl Martin also in the sub academy. Perhaps want to see how they do in 20s/adult rugby before adding them.

no one walks into the academy, gotta earn it and those michaels lads need to show the commitment to be a professional required by the sub-academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Mark Hernan?
    Bobby Sheehan?
    Marcus Hanan?
    Harry Noonan?
    Luis Faria?

Not sure if any standout really, Hernan maybe if he can prove he can stay healthy and carry the required weight.

Yea. Don't really think they have missed out on anyone in particular. Like there was no one standing out at 20's not picked up.

Hernan a funny one. Really good player but hard to see him competing with any of the under 25 lads already in Leinsters back row. (Even with bulk/development etc)

still involved with leinster sub-academy.

redmonds a decent player but was released from sub academy.

Thanks, wasn’t aware he’s till in the sub academy thought he left and or picked up elsewhere. Regarding redmond ye never saw or heard of him in representive games from Christmas onwards really I thought he fell off the radar was wondering what happened to him

no one walks into the academy, gotta earn it and those michaels lads need to show the commitment to be a professional required by the sub-academy.

Don’t be a muppet lad and twist what I say! Yes I’m aware and fully agree it’s hard to get into and so it should be but given the players I listed above have been involved in their sct campaigns since 5th year and had two runs at it they would have earned it by now given the performances they put in the qualities they have shown over the last two seasons at senior cup level you would think Leinster would be mad to let them go elsewhere! Of course it does all come down do what positions Leinster go after. U would raise questions like in the long run over a space of more than one season do they need more front rowers and back rows or more backs etc etc

Don’t be a muppet lad and twist what I say! Yes I’m aware and fully agree it’s hard to get into and so it should be but given the players I listed above have been involved in their sct campaigns since 5th year and had two runs at it they would have earned it by now given the performances they put in the qualities they have shown over the last two seasons at senior cup level you would think Leinster would be mad to let them go elsewhere! Of course it does all come down do what positions Leinster go after. U would raise questions like in the long run over a space of more than one season do they need more front rowers and back rows or more backs etc etc
    making their schools 1st XV for two years doesnt mean anything. You have to be really exceptional to get added straight from school and leinster mainly pick players who have at least a year of playing adult or at least 20s rugby.

making their schools 1st XV for two years doesnt mean anything. You have to be really exceptional to get added straight from school and leinster mainly pick players who have at least a year of playing adult or at least 20s rugby.

Yes i get that but if you read that i would have also said about how they performed over thoughs two seasons been consistently good you would think would have earned them a place they were pretty exceptional to watch both as a squad but also individualy as players. I wasnt necessarily pointing out that because your in the sct squad for 5th and 6th year earns you a a place lol... To be honest I'm more so talking here about them getting into sub academy by the way not academy direct as well lets face it we all know how hard it is to make that straight out of school not to mention leinster over recent years have put alot of value into their sub academy program and picked a few of their academy players from their sub academy over the years. Im guessing your saying u would rather see them in a few ail games and or u20 interpros before you see if there worthy of sub academy places? Interesting you say that i was always under the illusion that sub academy is picked well before ail season kicks off like its picked just before the interpros if not right after it :confused: ? I remember back a few years ago with players now at senior level in various provinces at senior level like tom daly, dave shanahan, eoghan masterson, steve crosbie (although no longer pro) were all leinsters sub academy for 12/13 season in and around august/September 12 well before ail even kicked off if i remember correctly?

But yeah be interesting to see who makes that sub academy squad this year, dont want to dwell to much on them michaels lads too much either tbh there were also some decent players on show in them newbridge and clongowes sides too from watching this season games...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Marcus Kiely should be in the sub, most athletic centre we've seen in a while. Karl Martin and him at 12 and 13 would be a huge centre partnership.

Hernan I just dont see making it, he will be a good AIL player if he can stay fit.

• Advertisement

Possible sub-academy players:

Hugo O'Malley(LH Prop/Blackrock)
    Jack Boyle(LH Prop/St. Michaels) - u19
    Ben Popplewell(LH Prop/Wexford RFC) - u19
    Aaron Rowan(TH Prop/Blackrock)
    Ben Griffin(TH Prop/Castleknock)
    Sam Illo(TH Prop/Wesley/Old Wesley)

Lee Barron(Hooker/St. Michaels)
    Ronan Loughnane(Hooker/Roscrea/UCD)
    Levi Vaughan(Hooker/Terenure/Terenure)
    Barry Gray(Hooker/Carlow RFC) - u19

Paul Deeny(Lock/Wexford RFC) - u19
    Ruairi Clarke(Lock/Cill Dara RFC) - u19
    Mark Morrissey(Lock/Blackrock) - u19
    Sean Walsh(Lock/Seapoints RFC) - u19

Will Hickey(Backrow/St. Michaels)
    Aaron Coleman(Openside/Belvedere/DUFC)
    Jack Barry(Openside/Gonzaga/Lansdowne)
    Mark Boyle(Backrow/Gorey RFC/Lansdowne)
    Conor Duffy(Openside/Tullow RFC) - u19

Ben Murphy(Scrumhalf/Pres Bray/Clontarf)
    Rob Gilsenan(Scrumhalf/St. Michaels/UCD)
    Will Reilly(Scrumhalf/Portlaoise RFC/MU Barnhall)

Tim Corkery(Outhalf/Kilkenny RFC/UCD)
    Charlie Tector(Outhalf/Kilkenny) - u19
    Fionn O'Hara(Outhalf/Mullingar RFC) - u19

Karl Martin(Centre/Boyne RFC/Old Belvedere) - u19
    Marcus Kiely(Centre/Newbridge)
    Simon O'Kelly(Centre/St. Michaels)

Chris Cosgrave(Back Three/St. Michaels)
    Jamie Osborne(Back Three/Naas RFC)
    Josh O'Connor(Wing/Wexford RFC/UCD)
    Shane Mallon(Wing/Roscrea) - u19

Advertisement