Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academies

Options
1848586878890»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sportsmad5

Shane Daly; 1 Calvin Nash 2, Chris Farrell 3 Antoine Frisch,4, Malakai Fekitoa 5, Liam Coombes 6 Ben Healy 7 Jack Crowley, 8, Paddy Patterson 9; Josh Wycherley 10 Dave Kilcoyne, 11 Niall Scannell 12 Diarmuid Barron, 13 Keynan Knox 14 Roman Salanoa 15 Jean Kleyn 16 Fineen Wycherley 17 Tom Ahern, 18; Jack O’Donoghue 19 , Alex Kendellen 20 John Hodnett 21 Jack O’Sullivan 22

Mike Haley 23, Keith Earls 24  Dan Goggin 25, Simon Zebo 26 Joey Carbery, 27, Craig Casey 28 Liam O’Connor, 29  Scott Buckley 30 Stephen Archer 31 Tadhg Beirne 32 Edwin Edogbo, 33 Peter O’Mahony 34,

Conor Phillips,35 Rory Scannell, 36 Patrick Campbell; 37 Conor Murray, 38 Jeremy Loughman, 39, Ruadhan Quinn,40. Fionn Gibbons, 41  Gavin Coombes 42  Calvin Nash 43  Neil Cronin, 44 John Ryan 45  Eoin O’Connor 46 Cian Hurley, 47

Have I counted someone twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭theVersatile

You've Nash twice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Seems kind of overstocked with props in the overall squad including academy. Anyone likely to be let go?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Not with 4 likely off to the world cup and Healy nearing the end.

Players will move but not this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Sportsmad5

Thanks, I looked at it many times and could not spot it, sure he was way out on the wing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed - Leinster will likely be down 5 props during the World Cup period (before, during and after)

Porter, Furlong, Healy with Ireland and Ala'alatoa with Samoa and Abaladze probably with Georgia.

They'll need as many as they can until Christmas next season at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ljsulster

I seem to remember a thread that ranked the academy players in each position so I thought it would be interesting to bring it back- these are just my opinions so fire away if you disagree.

Loosehead

1. Jack Boyle
    2. Paddy Mccarthy
    3. Jacob Boyd

Hooker

1. Gus Mccarthy

2. Henry Walker

3. Zac Solomon

Tighthead

1. Paddy Mccarthy

2. Scott Wilson

3. Ronan Foxe

Lock

1. Edwin Edogbo

2. Evan Oconnell

3. Conor Otighernaigh

6/8

1. Brian Gleeson

2. James Culhane

3. James Mcnabney

Openside

1. Rudhan Quinn

2. Josh Stevens

3. Liam Molony

Scrumhalf

1. Fintan Gunne

2. Matthew Devine

3. Ben Murphy

Outhalf

1. Charlie Tector

2. Harry West

3. Tony Butler

Centre

1. Hugh Gavin

2. Ben Brownlee

3. Hugh Cooney

Back 3

1. Aitzol King

2. Lukas Kenny

3. Ben O’Connor

Out of curiosity, are you ranking by current ability or potential? Or a combination?

Regardless, I'd have:

O'Tighernaigh above O'Connell

Moloney above Stephens (mind I've seen very little of the latter so could easily change)

Devine over Gunne

Butler over West

Brownlee and Cooney over Gavin

Haven't seen enough of Kenny to consider moving him below O'Connor.

This is a tough time of year to do it. I’ve heard very good things about some new inductees, (BOC, Hicks, Kenny,especially) but not sure how much weight to put on that.

The only changes i’d feel strongly about are putting mccarthy at top of LH list. Also keep him one at THP. I’d put McNabney at 2 on 6/8 list and Quinn at 3 there. And also keep Quinn one on the 7 list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Bar a few exceptions most players come from a schools/fee schools background. What would people here change to improve the rate of players making the academies and the pro game from other areas on top of whats happening already or what would people like to see happen to improve this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

At Scrum-half you haven't included Ethan Coughlan from Munster - I'd have him ahead of Ben Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not sure how this would work but I always felt that underage coaches/team managers should be encouraged to list X number of players that have stood out to them from opponents that have played their team/s. The lists to be collated by regional/provincial talent spotters and those listed to be taken into regional/provincial training camps and further accessed.

A 50/25/25 funding model from the irfu/club/schools to hire coaches for non traditional rugby areas. Tie a school and a club together with some irfu backing.

You would see some failures, some no changes and maybe or or two areas would really pop.

Inspired by an article i vaguely remember about this happening organically in places. I think jackman mentioned it somewhere as well. Maybe do two in each province to start. Or maybe 3 each in connacht, ulster and munster.

I dont think that is necessarily going to work because it doesnt mean the right players would be highlighted/selected anyway.

Relying on the volunteer coaches to do this work isnt right when we have full time professional coaches/development officers whos role is entirely around doing this work

By all means have more open screening sessions for age grade squads and players invited to attend but not that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not going to get into a 100 post reply on this but coaches seeing other players and passing their names onto the professionals that you mention can only help highlight someone to them that they may have missed.

BTW, I love your hard and fast dismissal of the very first idea posted in reply to your question, it will surely encourage others to that the time to reply.

I think the provinces already have this aspect covered to a large degree. They know who the good players are these days mostly. This was a problem 10/15 years ago.

Its an interesting idea. Funding that from some schools/clubs could be an issue like Regis Sonnes coming to Bandon was a load of luck. he had a connection to the club in form of someone who knew him and they had a fee paying school in bandon grammar with €€€ that many areas mightnt have

Ballina tried it with one of their kiwi AIL players a few years back, even giving him access to a car for a while but got a sanction from IRFU about payment of player etc for it.

The provinces already do this. Its beyond this that they need to be doing more. just getting recommendations of players isnt whats needed its changing/improving what the clubs do is what the provinces should be helping with.

Agreed. For some reason, I thought Coughlan had moved onto a development deal this year.

Not yet anyway.

He's likely the starting Scrum-half for the start of the season with Murray/Casey with Ireland and Patterson injured so he might get upgraded.

Similarly Butler should get decent game time as there's only him and Carbery there for the moment.

Advertisement