Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah, but the four announced are all currently schoolboys so aren't even at U20 level yet so that will make that logjam even more congested.

That said I think most of the Ulster lads in the 20s squad were already in the Academy, certainly Stewart, McCann and Hyde are.

Not sure about Finlay and I actually don't think Ethan McIlroy is, which is odd because he is in the Irish U20 side and has already featured heavily in a Pro 14 game for Ulster.

Pretty sure it was announced mid-season that McIlroy was moved up to a full academy place. Seemed a no-brainer considering they were playing him ahead of the other current academy wing/fullback. Think Finaly is only sub-academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Pretty sure it was announced mid-season that McIlroy was moved up to a full academy place. Seemed a no-brainer considering they were playing him ahead of the other current academy wing/fullback. Think Finaly is only sub-academy.

Is Doak rated higher than Finlay?

I hope we don't end up with another Jonny Stewart and Rhys O'Donnell scenario. Bring them both through, although I suppose Doak is a 10 as well so there should be room for both.

bilston wrote: »
    Is Doak rated higher than Finlay?

I hope we don't end up with another Jonny Stewart and Rhys O'Donnell scenario. Bring them both through, although I suppose Doak is a 10 as well so there should be room for both.

I'd wager that Doak will focus on 9 given our lack of options there and we have two young 10's. The coaches must rate him higher than Finlay given he started for the A team and got an academy place straight out of school. Finlay certainly made a case for himself in the six nations and I think there's definitely room for him - just down to whether or not the coaches are convinced I guess. They might prefer a prospect in the u19 or u18 group and might not want to have three academy 9's at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

I'd wager that Doak will focus on 9 given our lack of options there and we have two young 10's. The coaches must rate him higher than Finlay given he started for the A team and got an academy place straight out of school. Finlay certainly made a case for himself in the six nations and I think there's definitely room for him - just down to whether or not the coaches are convinced I guess. They might prefer a prospect in the u19 or u18 group and might not want to have three academy 9's at once.

Ulster would be mad not to give Finlay an offer. They need to hot house the academy with 9's and create a competitive environment and hope at less 1 9 pushes through over next few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Connacht adding Sligos Donnacha Byrne for next season. Sligo tweeted this evening

• Advertisement

Don't know if any of the provinces had any interest but Dan Kelly is apparently joining Leicester's academy. Thought he went really well for Ireland u20's and would've been a good addition somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's a shame as he looked a good prospect. Unfortunately, he's likely to be lost to Irish rugby now for next few years at the very least.

It will be interesting to see if he plays for the U20 side next season. I assume he's eligible to play for Englan U20 next year if selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Yep he looked promising for the U20s. I wonder if any of the provinces were in for him. Any reason why we don’t lock down players if they play for the U20s like some other countries do by the way?

clsmooth wrote: »
    Yep he looked promising for the U20s. I wonder if any of the provinces were in for him. Any reason why we don’t lock down players if they play for the U20s like some other countries do by the way?

I imagine most of the exiles wouldn't play for us then. They probably wouldn't want to commit too early and it might impact their academy prospects in England.

Rumour is that Kelly was set to sign for Connacht when Leicester came in.

• Advertisement

Possible Munster Academy class?

Mark Donnelly(Prop/CBC Cork) - u19
    Scott Buckley(Hooker/CBC Cork) - u20
    Cian Hurley(Backrow/CBC Cork) - u20
    Alex Kendellan(Backrow/PBC Cork) - u19
    Jack Crowley(Outhalf/Bandon) - u20
    Harry O'Riordan(Centre/CBC Cork) - u19
    Aaron Leahy(Wing/CBC Cork) - u19

Abbey Insurance Ulster Rugby Academy 2020/21 Squad:

Prop
    Callum Reid(U22/RBAI)

Hooker
    Tom Stewart(U20/BRA)
    James McCormick(U19/Dalradia)

Lock
    Cormac Izuchukwu(U21/Roscrea)

Backrow
    Azur Allison(U23/Ballymena)
    Reuben Crothers(U19/Wallace)
    Dave McCann(U21/RBAI)

Scrumhalf
    Nathan Doak(U20/Wallace)
    Lewis Finlay(U21/Down HS)

Outhalf
    Bruce Houston(U23/Ballymena)

Centre
    Hayden Hyde(U21/Exile)
    Ben Carson(U19/Wallace)

Back Three
    Ethan McIlroy(U21/Methody)
    Conor Rankin(U20/Campbell)
    Aaron Sexton(U21/Bangor)

Ulster academy players released:

Aaron Hall(Backrow)
    Joe Dunleavy(Backrow)
    Graham Curtis(Scrumhalf)
    Matthew Agnew(Backrow)
    Matt Dalton(Lock)
    Jack Regan(Lock)
    Iwan Hughes(Wing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Rumour is that Kelly was set to sign for Connacht when Leicester came in.

That's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

4 from Leinster originally, Portloaise RFC, Blackrock, Newbridge Col & St. Andrews.

Prop
    James French(Bandon/UCC) - Y3/U23
    Josh Wycherley(Bantry Bay RFC-Roscrea/Young Munster) - Y3/U22

Hooker
    Eoghan Clarke(CBC Monkstown/Shannon) - Y3/U23
    Scott Buckley(CBC/UCC) - Y1/U21

Lock
    Thomas Ahern(Dungarvan-Waterpark RFC/Shannon) - Y3/U21
    Paddy Kelly(St. Munchins/Young Munster) - Y2/U21
    Eoin O'Connor(Waterpark RFC/Garryowen) - Y2/U21

Backrow
    Jack Daly(Castleisland RFC/Garryowen) - Y3/U23
    John Hodnett(Clonakilty RFC/UCC) - Y2/U22
    Alex Kendellan(PBC) - Y1/U20

Scrumhalf

Outhalf
    Ben Healy(Glenstal/Garryowen) - Y3/U22
    Jake Flannery(Rockwell/Shannon) - Y2/U22
    Jack Crowley(Bandon/Cork Con) - Y1/U21

Outside Backs
    Sean French(PBC/Cork Con) - Y3/U22
    Jonathan Wren(PBC/Cork Con) - Y3/U22

1st year academy players:

Prop

Hooker
    Scott Buckley(CBC Cork/UCC/U21)
    James McCormick(Dalradia/U19)

Lock
    Cormac Izuchukwu(Roscrea/Old Wesley/U21)

Backrow
    Alex Kendellan(PBC/U20)
    Rueben Crothers(Wallace/U19)

Scrumhalf
    Lewis Finlay(Down HS/Malone/U21)
    Nathan Doak(Wallace/U20)

Outhalf
    Jack Crowley(Bandon/Cork Con/U21)

Centre
    Ben Carson(Wallace/U19)

Back Three
    Ethan McIlroy(Methody/U21)

Connacht Academy

Further additions may be confirmed in the coming months.

Year 1
    Donnacha Byrne(Sligo/Backrow)
    Ciaran Booth(Exile/Backrow)
    Hubert Costello(Corinthians/Backrow)
    Eoin De Buitlear(Cornintians/Hooker)
    Cathal Forde(Outhalf/Corinthians)
    Darragh Murray(Buccaneers/Lock)
    Cian Prendergast(Newbridge/Lock)
    Charlie Ward(Tullow RFC/Prop)

Year 2
    Declan Adamson(Clontarf/Hooker)
    Shane Jennings(Centre)
    Oisin McCormack(Backrow)

Year 3
    Colm De Buitlear(Wing)
    Joshua Dunne(Exile/Backrow)
    Oran McNulty(Exile/Fullback)
    Seán O’Brien(Mullingar RFC/Centre)
    Dylan Tierney-Martin(Hooker)[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭luke9311

Any word on if lucas berti newman (newbridge) been offered any academy spot? He looked a class act in this years senior cup? And any of the michaels players too? A good few of that team looked like good prospects

luke9311 wrote: »
    Any word on if lucas berti newman (newbridge) been offered any academy spot? He looked a class act in this years senior cup? And any of the michaels players too? A good few of that team looked like good prospects

LBN is still in school next season.

Several of that michael side will be in sub academy on the path to a potential academy place. Rumours one player may join straight from 6th year, but to be determined if true.

• Advertisement

1st year academy players - minus leinster

Prop
    Charlie Ward(Tullow RFC/Clontarf/U21) - Connacht

Hooker
    Scott Buckley(CBC Cork/UCC/U21) - Munster
    Eoin DeButilear(An Gealtacht/U20) - Connacht
    James McCormick(Dalradia/U19) - Ulster

Lock
    Cormac Izuchukwu(Roscrea/Old Wesley/U21) - Ulster
    Cian Prendergast(Newbridge/UCD/U21) - Connacht
    Darragh Murray(Buccaneers/U20) - Connacht

Backrow
    Ciaran Booth(Exile/U21) - Connacht
    Alex Kendellan(PBC/U20) - Munster
    Hubert Costello(Corinthians/U20) - Connacht
    Donnacha Byrne(Sligo/U20) - Connacht
    Rueben Crothers(Wallace/U19) - Ulster

Scrumhalf
    Lewis Finlay(Down HS/Malone/U21) - Ulster
    Nathan Doak(Wallace/U20) - Ulster

Outhalf
    Jack Crowley(Bandon/Cork Con/U21) - Munster
    Cathal Forde(Corinthians/U20) - Connacht

Centre
    Ben Carson(Wallace/U19) - Ulster

Back Three
    Ethan McIlroy(Methody/U21) - Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭luke9311

LBN is still in school next season.

Several of that michael side will be in sub academy on the path to a potential academy place. Rumours one player may join straight from 6th year, but to be determined if true.

Ah ok sorry I was under the assumption LBN was a 6th year SP was a standout for them in the backs too I thought along with DM in the pack were pretty good. Yeah no surpise hearing about most them Michael’s lads joining the sub academy I guess.. I know a few older lads out of that school and we’re tipping their prop last year jb and the full back last year who’s name I can’t think of now but they were tipping them to go into academy even back at junior cup year

luke9311 wrote: »
    Ah ok sorry I was under the assumption LBN was a 6th year SP was a standout for them in the backs too I thought along with DM in the pack were pretty good. Yeah no surpise hearing about most them Michael’s lads joining the sub academy I guess.. I know a few older lads out of that school and we’re tipping their prop last year jb and the full back last year who’s name I can’t think of now but they were tipping them to go into academy even back at junior cup year

No, he is u18 this summer along with DM. Both look like potential future academy players.. ideally both would be taller though. Wait and see how they go as they are both very young. LBN could be an electric scrumhalf for example, probably too late for that though. Several potential academy players on that newbridge side.

Yeah Boyle and Cosgrave have been tipped since they were in 2nd/3rd year. Boyle is u18 this season and very young for a prop to join the academy proper at this stage, a year physical development and maturation in the sub academy will do him well.

Cosgrave, is the player rumoured to be joining straight from school, he doesn't quite look like the prospect he was at JCT but still a very good prospect at wing or fullback.

Barron(Hooker) & Hickey(Backrow) would be the other two players with a very strong chance at an academy place after sub academy. Then there is probably a few others O'Kelly(Centre), Guinane(Backrow), Kelly(Wing) and Power(Prop) who face an uphill battle in regards to an academy place.

rumours that leinster will only announce three academy entrants before the season resumes with further additions expected later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Soroka, Smith and SOBv4.0 according to LeinsterFans.

Not that surprising. Leinster had a smaller representation in the U20 team this year and already had Deeny and Clarkson in the academy too.

Guys like Tim Corkery and Joe McCarthy have another year at U20 level so it's no surprise if they're not being added to the academy in the current financial climate. I imagine someone like John McKee would be disappointed to not get in after 2 years at Ireland U20 level. But with Dan Sheehan and Kelleher, Leinster aren't short on young hookers right now.

Every chance another player or two is added in the coming months though, I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Buer wrote: »

Not that surprising. Leinster had a smaller representation in the U20 team this year and already had Deeny and Clarkson in the academy too.

Guys like Tim Corkery and Joe McCarthy have another year at U20 level so it's no surprise if they're not being added to the academy in the current financial climate. I imagine someone like John McKee would be disappointed to not get in after 2 years at Ireland U20 level. But with Dan Sheehan and Kelleher, Leinster aren't short on young hookers right now.

Every chance another player or two is added in the coming months though, I'd guess.

Was very impressed with the 7 from Michaels for 20s this year can’t remember his name but he definitely stood out. Would of thought he would have been in with a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Was very impressed with the 7 from Michaels for 20s this year can’t remember his name but he definitely stood out. Would of thought he would have been in with a chance

Mark Hernan?

Mark Hernan?

presume he will get a chance to a earn a place this summer.

Buer wrote: »

Soroka only ended up playing one game, didn't he? Still u20 next year as well so the coaches must rate him well enough, looked very good against England. Smith should be competing with the other back three players in the academy immediately imo (O'Sullivan, Silvester, Turner), he looks really sharp down the touchline and is physical enough. I thought SOB looked handier than Hernan and he looks like he could play across the backrow. Wasn't as impressed with Hernan as others I guess, thought he lacked the physicality and wasn't sure what he could do to a high enough level that I'd want him lining out every week in the backrow, if that makes sense?

One of the hookers will be gutted to miss out. Sheehan and McKee are decent enough players, but I suspect the coaches would have wanted to see how the rest of the games played out. Barron coming up behind them as well, so no need to rush a decision. Can always bring someone in mid year.

The sub academy should be competitive - quite a few handy players coming out of school, certinaly a few back three players who could get a contract somewhere. Then there's the likes of Joe McCarthy. Thought he might have done enough to sneak in, looked very physical for an u19 and with Dowling leaving, and fardy and toner getting along there's another spot in the row open. No harm in waiting a year, didn't get much game time this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hernan looks a good prospect, but there's such a logjam of talented opensides in the senior squad that it's hard to see where he'd fit even two or three years down the line. VDF is the oldest of that cohort and he's just turned 27.

New SOB might be in a better position at blindside as there's only Ruddock and maybe Josh Murphy ahead of him there.

Advertisement