Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academies

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.scrum

jackdidley wrote: »
    Strange there’s nothing on the Wesley FB page and nothing on the Italy Twitter news feed relating to Leinster u20’s.

Is this because Leinster, the same as the other 3 provinces do not have a 20’s team as the IRFU’s elite development pathway has a structure in place that finishes age grade rugby at u19 and continues through the academy system?

Should there be u20’s interprovincial rugby? Yes
    Is there u20’s interprovincial rugby? No

Look you don't have a clue how it works.

All you have to do is look in the 20s thread last August and there is plenty of evidence of the leinster 20s playing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jackdidley

Look you don't have a clue how it works.

All you have to do is look in the 20s thread last August and there is plenty of evidence of the leinster 20s playing games.

I know exactly how it works. The provinces do not field u20’s teams. They field academy or development teams

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.scrum

I'm not talking about the other provinces, i'm talking about leinster and leinster do field a u20 team in august, then they choose players from that that team to join with their academy players for the development team to play games in september.

As I said there is evidence of this u20 team in the Ireland u20 thread on here and on the leinster academy thread on leinsterfans.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

For what it’s worth, I watched a Leinster u20 side play a club team at donnybrook last season. Also watched a Leinster development side play Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Leinster most definitely do field U20s representative teams. Alongside their development squads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭RugbyRugby2016

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/meet-the-man-behind-leinsters-subacademy-the-invisible-force-driving-the-european-champions-forward-37868446.html

Article mentions that there are 23 players in the year 1 program - 5 full academy and 18 sub.

Assume the full academy are the lads straight out of school

Milne
    Baird
    Penny
    Hawkshaw
    A O’Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hawkshaw may now be a doubt for the academy. He just had surgery and will miss the rwc!
    Awful luck. He was playing great rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Hawkshaw may now be a doubt for the academy. He just had surgery and will miss the rwc!
    No he wont. He will miss jwc but if Leinster see him as able for academy they'll sign him regardless and he's in academy so your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Dubinusa wrote: »

Pretty sure Hawkshaw is already in the academy. He's not listed on the Leinster site but I am quite sure he was promoted from sub academy a little while ago.

Even if he wasn't, there's not much danger of him missing out on it tbh. They'd be very unlikely to let a promising 10/12 who've they've invested in slip through

• Registered Users Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

No he wont. He will miss jwc but if Leinster see him as able for academy they'll sign him regardless and he's in academy so your point is?

He's not listed on the website?
    Hopefully he recovers well. He's a serious talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 donnybrook1

any news on the Under 18s/19s squads for summer training

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

any news on the Under 18s/19s squads for summer training

I think the Ulster squads are out but UR don't publicise them.

• Site Banned Posts: 25 worldcupfever

Possible Leinster U20 side this summer:

1. Harry Noonan(Greystones RFC/Old Wesley)
    2. Bobby Sheehan(Clongowes Wood/UCD)
    3. Ryan McMahon(Clongowes Wood)
    4. Cian Prendergast(Newbridge College/UCD)
    5. Sean O'Brien(Blackrock College)
    6. Anthony Ryan(Clongowes Wood College/DUFC)
    7. Mark Hernan(St. Michaels College)
    8. Ed Brennan(Blackrock College)
    9. Jack Connolly(Gonzaga College)
    10. Paddy McKenzie(Wicklow RFC/Old Wesley)
    11. Max O'Reilly(St. Gerards/DUFC)
    12. Mick O'Gara(Pres Bray)
    13. Luis Faria(Wanderers FC/DUFC)
    14. Andrew Smith(St. Micahels College)
    15. James Reynolds(CBC Monkstown)

Possible Leinster U19 side:

1. Hugo O'Malley(Blackrock College)
    2. Lee Barron(St. Michaels College)
    3. Sam Illo(Wesley College)
    4. Alex Soroka(Belvedere College)
    5. Joseph McCarthy(Blackrock College)
    6. Jack Guinane(St. Michaels College)
    7. Aaron Coleman(Belvedere College)
    8. Will Hickey(St. Michaels College)
    9. Ben Murphy(Pres Bary)
    10. Niall Carroll(St. Michaels College)
    11. Matt Grogan(Belvedere College)
    12. Justin Leonard(Belvedere College)
    13. Chris Crosgrave(St. Michaels College)
    14. Josh O'Connor(Wexford RFC)
    15. Jamie Osborne(Naas RFC)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I've seen that 9 Ben Murphy play. Very impressed. Can't recall a more impressive SH at Leinster Schools level since Luke McGrath. Hopefully he can kick on in the next few years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Faugheen wrote: »
    I've seen that 9 Ben Murphy play. Very impressed. Can't recall a more impressive SH at Leinster Schools level since Luke McGrath. Hopefully he can kick on in the next few years.

Is he Richie Murphys son?

I see he's from Pres Bray.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Is he Richie Murphys son?

I see he's from Pres Bray.

I believe he is, and he place-kicked for them too.

Faugheen wrote: »

there is a chance he skips under-19 level and plays under-20 this summer.

He is Richie Murphys son yes.

watched him for ireland u18 over easter, wasn't hugely impressed, interested to watch his progression.

Leinster should have every young scrumhalf watching Craig Casey for the 20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Possible Leinster U20 side this summer:

1. Harry Noonan(Greystones RFC/Old Wesley)
    2. Bobby Sheehan(Clongowes Wood/UCD)
    3. Ryan McMahon(Clongowes Wood)
    4. Cian Prendergast(Newbridge College/UCD)
    5. Sean O'Brien(Blackrock College)
    6. Anthony Ryan(Clongowes Wood College/DUFC)
    7. Mark Hernan(St. Michaels College)
    8. Ed Brennan(Blackrock College)
    9. Jack Connolly(Gonzaga College)
    10. Paddy McKenzie(Wicklow RFC/Old Wesley)
    11. Max O'Reilly(St. Gerards/DUFC)
    12. Mick O'Gara(Pres Bray)
    13. Luis Faria(Wanderers FC/DUFC)
    14. Andrew Smith(St. Micahels College)
    15. James Reynolds(CBC Monkstown)

Possible Leinster U19 side:

1. Hugo O'Malley(Blackrock College)
    2. Lee Barron(St. Michaels College)
    3. Sam Illo(Wesley College)
    4. Alex Soroka(Belvedere College)
    5. Joseph McCarthy(Blackrock College)
    6. Jack Guinane(St. Michaels College)
    7. Aaron Coleman(Belvedere College)
    8. Will Hickey(St. Michaels College)
    9. Ben Murphy(Pres Bary)
    10. Niall Carroll(St. Michaels College)
    11. Matt Grogan(Belvedere College)
    12. Justin Leonard(Belvedere College)
    13. Chris Crosgrave(St. Michaels College)
    14. Josh O'Connor(Wexford RFC)
    15. Jamie Osborne(Naas RFC)

Can’t see Reynolds being with leinster 20s he was dropped from connacht u19s last year, wouldn’t be surprised to see cosgrave go straight into 20s

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Can’t see Reynolds being with leinster 20s he was dropped from connacht u19s last year, wouldn’t be surprised to see cosgrave go straight into 20s

Cosgrave is still in school and therefore not eligible for 20's.

Reynolds made the leinster-20 summer squad, after he had a very strong season for CBC Monkstown.

Other contenders for fullback at u20 level are Sam Dardis(Terenure), who was dropped from leinster under-19 last season and John Maher(Clongowes)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

I would imagine the favourite for the 15 shirt is Max O'Reilly. He trained with the u20's squad before they departed and has already played some Celtic Cup rugby.

• Advertisement

DonVito wrote: »
    I would imagine the favourite for the 15 shirt is Max O'Reilly. He trained with the u20's squad before they departed and has already played some Celtic Cup rugby.

it was the Cara Cup no?

O'Reilly could certainly be at 15, he was in the sub-academy this season unlike Reynolds/Smith/Maher who were still in school and therefore ineligible from 20's training or A games.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Leinster should have every young scrumhalf watching Craig Casey for the 20's.

What do you reckon is good about him? Ta.

What do you reckon is good about him? Ta.

The speed he gets to the breakdown
    the speed he gets the ball out of the breakdown
    his speed and accuracy of passing off both hands
    his overall aggressiveness and decision making

he is a future star, despite his size.

leinster haven't had a scrumhalf come through with that sort of talent since ciaran scally, luke mcgrath is the closest and his passing isn't near casey's level nor is his ability to get the ball out of the breakdown quickly.

I wonder if that's the full intake or if they were mentioned because their schools already announced them.

I wonder if that's the full intake or if they were mentioned because their schools already announced them.
    Cant imagine it is. Would expect more than 4 to be announced. As you say could be their schools announced it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think the shortened season is going to have an impact on the Academies next year.

A lot of the Irish U20's that would have been hoping to show their value in the 6N's and the World Cup in the hopes of moving to the next Contract stage may not now move forward so you might see a bit of a logjam effect.

That and the financial impacts could see a reduced official intake into the Academies with guys remaining in sub-academies for another year..

Could impact the number graduating as well. I remember reading that Leinster had their intake limited last time by the higher ups for some reason, so if they're cash strapped I imagine it might get limited further. Would be awful if a Leinster lad had to go to an academy, say, two hours up the road ;)

That being said, Ulster's don't seem to have been impacted, especially if there are still other players yet to be announced so I imagine Leinster will have no problem accounting for all the players they had planned to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Carson looked decent in the clips I saw of the Wallace schools cup semi final. Doak was always going to be added. I take it Lewis Finlay is already in the Academy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I think the shortened season is going to have an impact on the Academies next year.

A lot of the Irish U20's that would have been hoping to show their value in the 6N's and the World Cup in the hopes of moving to the next Contract stage may not now move forward so you might see a bit of a logjam effect.

That and the financial impacts could see a reduced official intake into the Academies with guys remaining in sub-academies for another year..

Yeah, but the four announced are all currently schoolboys so aren't even at U20 level yet so that will make that logjam even more congested.

That said I think most of the Ulster lads in the 20s squad were already in the Academy, certainly Stewart, McCann and Hyde are.

Not sure about Finlay and I actually don't think Ethan McIlroy is, which is odd because he is in the Irish U20 side and has already featured heavily in a Pro 14 game for Ulster.

Advertisement