Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Academies

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭scrummieman

Obviously they were products of a different time but BOD and Darce fared fairly well given their short statures

different game now and we are talking about two legends of irish rugby.

we shall wait and see what happens, but i'd expect Hawkshaw to play 10 next season for Tarf. Turner could stick at 13, but had been playing more wing this season until the 20's campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Turner certainly has a nice turn of pace. Very explosive 1st few metres!
    They are both similar in stature to Larmour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Heymans wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the reason Liam Turner isn't in the Leinster Academy but is being picked ahead of one of the hottest properties in U20's rugby in recent years - Sean French?

It's something that has really gotten me confused that McNamara is selecting Turner ahead of French for the 20's - has Turner been doing something in training to catapult him ahead of French? Alternatively had Turner done something to not gain the selection of Peter Smyth for the Lesinter Academy.

The whole situation has got me confused.

I wasn't blown away by French when he came off the bench. Lost ball in contact. looked unsure on a few defensive reads. Looks a unit though and some of his flaws looked like the kind of thing that happens from being the big lad in school. Easily corrected you would think.

didn't see scotland game naturally.

looks a prospect but the fact he didn't start was understandable based on what i saw

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

FrannoFan wrote: »
    I wasn't blown away by French when he came off the bench. Lost ball in contact. looked unsure on a few defensive reads. Looks a unit though and some of his flaws looked like the kind of thing that happens from being the big lad in school. Easily corrected you would think.

didn't see scotland game naturally.

looks a prospect but the fact he didn't start was understandable based on what i saw

Yeah I saw him play for Munster A Vs. Leinster A last season and thought he was fairly average. DK bowled him over in contact on one occasion so his size isn't an advantage for him like it was in school. I think Turner looks really good - low centre of gravity and good acceleration like BOD and Darcy had. Just surprised French hasn't shown anything living up to the hype surrounding him in school. You'd wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Yeah I saw him play for Munster A Vs. Leinster A last season and thought he was fairly average. DK bowled him over in contact on one occasion so his size isn't an advantage for him like it was in school. I think Turner looks really good - low centre of gravity and good acceleration like BOD and Darcy had. Just surprised French hasn't shown anything living up to the hype surrounding him in school. You'd wonder why.

No real knowledge of the Munster lads, but last season was Sean French still in school?

So an international pro in Kearney bowling him over isn't totally ridiculous.

Don't know much about him but the Cork Con lads rate him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He was still in school last season so you would expect a pro for nearly a decade to beat him in contact...
    No real knowledge of the Munster lads, but last season was Sean French still in school?

Yes he was.
    More than the con mafia rating him. Plenty in club scene whove seen him play beyond age grade rugby do as well

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Could have been Leinster A I went to this season can't really remember if it was this season or last. Will be interesting to see if he's given a run for Munster any time soon over the next season or two. Looking forward to seeing him a bit more in action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Does anyone know how good Hodnett is at hooker, its likely to be the best option for him going forward, especially with regards Ireland - he could find himself in the Ireland set up sooner rather than later at hooker, backrow he might struggle going forward , very taletned player

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Does anyone know how good Hodnett is at hooker, its likely to be the best option for him going forward, especially with regards Ireland - he could find himself in the Ireland set up sooner rather than later at hooker, backrow he might struggle going forward , very taletned player

He's only played 1 season at hooker and even then , not all that much.

He was an 8 all the way through Youths , then last season as an U19 there were attempts to shift him to hooker (I assume do to his relative lack of height) , but even then , he was regularly turning out for UCC in the back-row.

It seems this season that they've given up on the experiment for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I don't think he'd be considered small for an openside where munster see his future long term I'd imagine, plenty hookers in munster with very little talent coming through at openside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

case885 wrote: »
    I don't think he'd be considered small for an openside where munster see his future long term I'd imagine, plenty hookers in munster with very little talent coming through at openside.

I know TOD is getting on and crocked but Cloete and Oliver are very solid options at openside for the next few years, no?

If Hodnett's stats are right, I certainly don't see his future at No. 8 but his carrying has been way above what you'd expect for someone of that size.

In fact, the entire Irish back row is performing superbly for a trio who supposedly only combine for a total of 302kg according to their Irish profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hodnett's listed as 6'1 and 103, not sure where the narrative of him struggling is coming from seeing as that's the exact same measurements as VdF and bigger than Oliver.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Hodnett's listed as 6'1 and 103, not sure where the narrative of him struggling is coming from seeing as that's the exact same measurements as VdF and bigger than Oliver.

I totally agree , he's a fine player and has the ability to go further - It was someone in the Munster set-up that tried to re-purpose him as a hooker...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Who is the winger in the Leinster academy - Aaron O'Sullivan - I don't recall him playing Ireland 20s? where did he come from?

Who is the winger in the Leinster academy - Aaron O'Sullivan - I don't recall him playing Ireland 20s? where did he come from?
    Exile. Henley, Wasps before moving to Leinster
    He is under 20 this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Exile. Henley, Wasps before moving to Leinster
    He is under 20 this season

Doesn't seem to have featured for UCD in AIL this season. Has he been injured?

Stainalert wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to have featured for UCD in AIL this season. Has he been injured?
    Think he was for a while
    He's played 20s with them but not sure about AIL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Think he was for a while
    He's played 20s with them but not sure about AIL

He's been injured a while now - had surgery on his foot/ankle iirc. I know he played fullback and wing against Ulster in the summer for the development side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.scrum

Aaron O'Sullivan made his return from a second ankle injury last weekend for UCD u20 off the bench.

Is a big talent, which is reflected in him being in the Ireland u20 squad despite not being healthy for much of the season.

Hopefully he gets a clean few months and pushes for a JWC spot.

Possible Leinster U20 side next season:

1. Harry Noonan(Greystones RFC/Old Wesley)
    2. Bobby Sheehan(Clongowes/UCD)
    3. Charlie Ward(Tullow RFC/Clontarf)
    4. Cian Prendergast(Newbridge/UCD)
    5. Alex Soroka(Belvedere) - u19
    6. Anthony Ryan(Clongowes/DUFC)
    7. Mark Hernan(St. Michaels)
    8. Ed Brennan(Blackrock)
    9. Ben Murphy(Pres Bray) - u19
    10. David Fitzgibbon(Blackrock)
    11. John Maher(Clongowes)
    12. James Reynolds(CBC Monkstown)
    13. Luis Faria(Wanderers FC/DUFC)
    14. Andrew Smith(St. Micheals)
    15. Sam Dardis(Terenure/Terenure)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Possible Leinster U20 side next season:

1. Harry Noonan(Greystones RFC/Old Wesley)
    2. Bobby Sheehan(Clongowes/UCD)
    3. Charlie Ward(Tullow RFC/Clontarf)
    4. Cian Prendergast(Newbridge/UCD)
    5. Alex Soroka(Belvedere)
    6. Anthony Ryan(Clongowes/DUFC)
    7. Mark Hernan(St. Michaels)
    8. Ed Brennan(Blackrock)
    9. Ben Murphy(Pres Bray)
    10. David Fitzgibbon(Blackrock)
    11. John Maher(Clongowes)
    12. James Reynolds(CBC Monkstown)
    13. Luis Faria(Wanderers FC/DUFC)
    14. Andrew Smith(St. Micheals)
    15. Sam Dardis(Terenure/Terenure)

You wouldn't have Clarkson at 3?

You wouldn't have Clarkson at 3?

He won't be available due to JWC, same with Brian Deeny and likely John McKee.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jackdidley

JWC selection will have no bearing as there isn’t an u20 interprovincial series. Some of the guys mentioned above will represent Leinster in the u19 inter pro series.

JWC selection will have no bearing as there isn’t an u20 interprovincial series. Some of the guys mentioned above will represent Leinster in the u19 inter pro series.

jackdidley wrote: »

Yes it will, there are u20 games in august they just arent covered by leinster website, anyone on JWC will not be available.

Soroka/Murphy could well skip Leinster 19's like Clarkson did this season.

Yes it will, there are u20 games in august they just arent covered by leinster website, anyone on JWC will not be available.

Soroka/Murphy could well skip Leinster 19's like Clarkson did this season.

Leinster have U20 fixtures in Aug, really?? They must be the only province to put a 20’s team together. kind of pointless if there’s no competition and guys are taken away from the academy programme. Who did they play 2018??

jackdidley wrote: »
    Leinster have U20 fixtures in Aug, really?? They must be the only province to put a 20’s team together. kind of pointless if there’s no competition and guys are taken away from the academy programme. Who did they play 2018??

Not sure how it's pointless? players atbthat age need coaching, they haven't stopped developing and have a lot of room for improvement.

Those who impress will be kept on for leinster the September games against Ulster and Munster development sides and sub academy places.

Not sure how it's pointless? players atbthat age need coaching, they haven't stopped developing and have a lot of room for improvement.

Those who impress will be kept on for leinster the September games against Ulster and Munster development sides and sub academy places.

What fixtures have they this year? Who did they play in 2018?

Don't know what their fixtures are this year, it's a bit early for that.

They played a few AIL team in preseason, one game was broadcast on facebook by Old Wesley.

They also played Italy u20 in Italy. Not sure what other fixtures they played as they are not covered online.

• Advertisement

Don't know what their fixtures are this year, it's a bit early for that.

They played a few AIL team in preseason, one game was broadcast on facebook by Old Wesley.

They also played Italy u20 in Italy. Not sure what other fixtures they played as they are not covered online.

Strange there’s nothing on the Wesley FB page and nothing on the Italy Twitter news feed relating to Leinster u20’s.

Is this because Leinster, the same as the other 3 provinces do not have a 20’s team as the IRFU’s elite development pathway has a structure in place that finishes age grade rugby at u19 and continues through the academy system?

Should there be u20’s interprovincial rugby? Yes
    Is there u20’s interprovincial rugby? No

Advertisement