Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader of country caught up in blackface controversy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I am also a member of the pink haired brigade politically correct snowflakes brigade and think its quite funny more then anything.

If the same photo came out of The Donald, would you find it funny???

Strange how this is just a bit of harmless fun because it's Trudeau. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

If the same photo came out of The Donald, would you find it funny???

Strange how this is just a bit of harmless fun because it's Trudeau. :rolleyes:

Yes if it was Donald I would find it hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yes if it was Donald I would find it hilarious

Of course you would. You'd more than likely be in a thread calling for his head, his resignation and for his soul and the souls of all of his ancestors be banished to another dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Of course you would. You'd more than likely be in a thread calling for his head, his resignation and for his soul and the souls of all of his ancestors be banished to another dimension.

Wow such insight from somebody who doesn't even know me or my opinions on blackface or trump. I couldn't care less what Trump does, I don't live there. I also don't really care about blackface but you go ahead and tell me what I would say. Couldn't actually give a **** about Trudeau either, he seems like a bit of a creep to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ding ding ding!!

You mean the same Trump who said 'grab em by the pussy' and is still currently President of the biggest nation in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The media only report it as being 'brownface' not blackface.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0919/1076828-justin-trudeau/
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49749851

Sure you see tonnes of brownface and big eyebrows every Friday coming out the bottleshops with WKD bottles in hand and the whiff of hairspray.

Ah decide for yourself:
    WMqmcnZ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Leaving claims of hypocrisy aside, do you feel he should be hung, drawn and quartered for it? Or can it be written off as silly mistake a long time ago for which he seems apologetic for?

Sorry I’m only coming back to this now.

Trudeau’s the first person to jump on anyone calling them out as racist, bigoted, transphobic, Islamaphobic and by his own rules he should be hung drawn and quartered as you say. He would utterly deserve it and it would be hilarious.

Personally though, no, looks like it was a mistake he made 20 years ago, a mistake that the liberal leftists think should be career ending, life ending, pitchfork type stuff.

It’s not that bad.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sorry I’m only coming back to this now.

Trudeau’s the first person to jump on anyone calling them out as racist, bigoted, transphobic, Islamaphobic and by his own rules he should be hung drawn and quartered as you say. He would utterly deserve it and it would be hilarious.

Personally though, no, looks like it was a mistake he made 20 years ago, a mistake that the liberal leftists think should be career ending, life ending, pitchfork type stuff.

It’s not that bad.

Meh.

I wouldnt even call it a mistake, tis a bit of craic. But sure theres no tollerance for that anymore

I wouldnt even call it a mistake, tis a bit of craic. But sure theres no tollerance for that anymore

Absolutely.

The only mistake the gormless prick made was to act as if he was (pardon the pun) whiter than white when it came to anything that he (wrongly) espoused as racist or phobic, when all the time, he was as guilty as the rest of the people he was trying to brand.

Gob****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

reg114 wrote: »
    Id be very curious to know when exactly in 2001 the offending costume / makeup were worn by Trudeau. If it was after September 11th then it really would have been a foolish thing to do, reprehensible in fact, but theres no evidence it did.

The photo was taken in the spring of 2001, so it's pre-9/11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The media only report it as being 'brownface' not blackface.

Brownface if you are a liberal, but its Blackface if you are an 'other'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

markodaly wrote: »
    Brownface if you are a liberal, but its Blackface if you are an 'other'.

Brownface because he dressed as Aladdin, an Arab character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

All is forgiven! The United Nations Wokeness Committee has investigated the incidents and has determined his only crime was being TOO FESTIVE. After hearing of the UN decision Trudeau reportedly replied… Thank the stars I’m not a conservative or I would have been hanged, drawn and quartered.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sure we kind of had our own version a few years ago when Hughie Maughan was on Dancing with the Stars and went a bit crazy on the tan, some thought it looked like blackface.

The politically correct brigade stayed very quiet on that one though because they couldn't accuse a gay traveller of racism.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I love the way some of the people laughing at the ‘liberals’ would dismiss it as ‘lefty liberal pc bollocks’ if it was Trump or somebody.

Trudeau is an idiot for two reasons.

1. For doing it in the first place.
    2. For thinking it wouldn’t come out eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ding ding ding!!

Winner!!

If this was Trump the White House would be burning right now, but hey, it’s not, and it was like TOTALLY 20 years ago MAAAAN.

Post #2 in the thread.
    Congratulations.

Trump is in Orange face every day ;)

It's not football. What one jack ass did has no bearing on what an even bigger jack ass does. Also neither lads are running for a seat in Ireland.
    Trudeau is a lackey for the oil companies and got caught trying to pull strings for SNC Lavalin, so not sure why he's some lefty demigod. Looks like you got sucked in to his PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Brownface because he dressed as Aladdin, an Arab character.
    An Arab made the song Day O famous?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Sure we kind of had our own version a few years ago when Hughie Maughan was on Dancing with the Stars and went a bit crazy on the tan, some thought it looked like blackface.

The politically correct brigade stayed very quiet on that one though because they couldn't accuse a gay traveller of racism.

You can't see the difference between someone overdoing fake tan and someone using makeup to look like a black person?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

His comments since actually make him go down in my estimation more than the incident itself

Absolutely nothing in this

I'm more concerned about the american invasion of 'us and them' even regarding other countries. Keep that nutso U.S. ****e over in the U.S. please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

What difference did 9/11 make to being able to paint ones face?

Faugheen wrote: »
    I love the way some of the people laughing at the ‘liberals’ would dismiss it as ‘lefty liberal pc bollocks’ if it was Trump or somebody.

Because it IS lefty liberal pc bollocks.

We are laughing because the king of the lefties has been caught in his own bull**** web of everything being offensive.

I can guarantee almost, if not all, people laughing at the liberals are in no way offended that he wore blackface.

I'm more concerned about the american invasion of 'us and them' even regarding other countries. Keep that nutso U.S. ****e over in the U.S. please.

Ah now matt. Your lack of self awareness there is mind-boggling.

Because it IS lefty liberal pc bollocks.

We are laughing because the king of the lefties has been caught in his own bull**** web of everything being offensive.

I can guarantee almost, if not all, people laughing at the liberals are in no way offended that he wore blackface.

'King of the lefties' in the crazed minds of americanised alt right youtube addicts.
    He looked like an ass, he ain't no lefty. Look up his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

It's amazing the hypocrisy of all the people who normally defend this sort of thing baying for blood because of who it is.

'King of the lefties' in the crazed minds of americanised alt right youtube addicts.
    He looked like an ass, he ain't no lefty. Look up his record.

You need only to look at the coverage of him on mainstream media in all countries to know that he was the poster boy of the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You need only to look at the coverage of him on mainstream media in all countries to know that he was the poster boy of the left.

I never got that impression

quokula wrote: »
    It's amazing the hypocrisy of all the people who normally defend this sort of thing baying for blood because of who it is.

Nobody who doesn't usually get offended by this is baying for blood. People are wondering if, by his their own standards, the usual suspects WILL be baying for his blood.

It's fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You can't see the difference between someone overdoing fake tan and someone using makeup to look like a black person?

Of course I can see it he could have come in looking like a Lyons Tea Minstrel and I couldn't care less.

it's your side that were getting a bit worked up about it at the time but there wasn't a lot ye could say about it because of who he was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The only outrage is the kind that lives in the cesspit of Twitter. In real life people just get on with things, not dwelling on what is discussed in that online vacuum. However, twitter is far too popular these days that news outlets now report on what gets posted there. Twitter controls what is posted and discussed on its own website. Therefore, it is time to break it up as it is too influential.

Advertisement