Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader of country caught up in blackface controversy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah **** off with the claims it's not racist. Would you do it in front of a bunch of Indian people? Nope of course not, not unless you were ripping the p!ss out of them.

Just on your point regarding Indian people, there is a very high proportion of Indians in Canada so it is likely that there would have been some there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I've just realised that our coal man was an awful racist

Not that long ago there was a backlash against a restaurant in America, they had s picture of coal miners in the pub, covered in dust.

Loons accused them of blackface.

Intersectionality is such fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wonder is it his wife he has the hand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Brian? wrote: »
    The left? The Canadian liberal party isn't left wing. They are classic economic liberals and socially liberal. Like Fine Gael.

I wish someone could explain when liberals became left wing, with their free market economics and what not. My guess is some time around the advent of YouTube talking heads appearing.

Its the American use of the word Liberal not the correct political definition of what liberal means. I hear more and more Irish people saying it and getting it confused with the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Jesus christ, is this really what the world has come to. You can actually get in trouble these days for dressing up at a fancy dress party?

I've no sympathy for Trudeau however, simply because it's cockwombles like him who have things the way they are:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Jesus christ, is this really what the world has come to. You can actually get in trouble these days for dressing up at a fancy dress party?

I've no sympathy for Trudeau however, simply because it's cockwombles like him who have things the way they are:mad:

Isn't he one of those people who get on board with every identity politics fad regardless of how damn stupid it is? I'd have to say it gives me a certain pleasure seeing people like that hoisted with their own petard, as 'twere, but I really think they should leave him alone. :pac:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha….brilliant! I'm glad they/he/xir "person"ed up and took responsibility.

This should be interesting.

Let's see if the usual suspects will come out and vilify him/her/xir or if he/her/xir gets a pass because he's/her's/xir's/they's on their/xir/him/her team.

The left? The Canadian liberal party isn't left wing. They are classic economic liberals and socially liberal. Like Fine Gael.

I wish someone could explain when liberals became left wing, with their free market economics and what not. My guess is some time around the advent of YouTube talking heads appearing.

They are so often on the same page on so many issues that they end up being conflated.

With people like Trudeau it is also his preaching righteousness.

A male feminist is just a man who agrees with equal treatment between the sexes.

You either spelled egalitarian wrong or you are EXTREMELY ignorant to what feminism in it's current form is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

pjohnson wrote: »
    Most of the screaming here is the "right" types. Its mostly the right that get offended/triggered/upset nowadays.

Exactly. I'm probably considered a pink hair type because I don't eat meat and I'm not anti immigration and I cycle to work. When something like this happens it's the so called right freaking out and starting threads like this, not people like myself.
    He put some make up on, who gives a sh*t.

• Advertisement

Exactly. I'm probably considered a pink hair type because I don't eat meat and I'm not anti immigration and I cycle to work. When something like this happens it's the so called right freaking out and starting threads like this, not people like myself.

The "so-called right" aren't freaking out.

We are laughing about it and marvelling at the hypocrisy of the "pink hair type" who think that because it happened to one of them, it should be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It was all over the World news this morning. I personally couldn't give a long, scuttery one if he put on a lampshade and did Cato on CNN. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I understand people saying they're not offended by this and that it's not racist. I mean it is not racist, in the strict sense of a belief system of superior and inferior races.

But in fairness out of politeness at least surely you'd avoid doing it in front of a class if you were a teacher, or singing Day-O in blackface (and presumably a put-on Jamaican accent) as Trudeau also revealed he did for a Caribbean themed event. Classes in nearly any country nowadays are fairly diverse and you're liable to make at least one kid feel singled out and potentially ridiculed.

It's not necessarily racist but it is weird and unprofessional. If you moved to say China you'd find it a bit odd if your kids said that for Paddy's Day their Chinese teacher put on white-face with freckles and a leprechaun costume before dancing a jig and chanting "top'o'de'mornin" in a retarded oirish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I am also a member of the pink haired brigade politically correct snowflakes brigade and think its quite funny more then anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

In the context of Canadian politics, where they contest power with the centre-right Conservative Party, the Liberals are the centre left and by far the largest party of the left there.

The problem with a rigid interpretation of left and right is that they are defined by their relation to the centre. The centre is at a different point in different places and times. Indeed in the original left and right of the French National Assembly in the late 18th century both sides were a million miles from our current interpretations of the terms.

Applying a rigid 20th century European perspective of left and right will of course find that economically Canada has hardly any left to speak of; as does the US, and in fairness as does Ireland at this stage where even the "left" parties like SF and Labour would not touch low corporation tax rates if they got into power.

Indeed if we look at say the USSR in the 1920s The Right was the term for those who wanted a slower pace of collectivization, though we would now consider them hard-core Marxists.

Therefore it is reasonable to use the term Left for Trudeau, his policies and his party as that is the space they occupy in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Im going to use this thread as a reference next time a poster complains about something that somebody on the right did 20 years ago that was ok then but not now. So much apologism

Edit : see a few posts and thanks dissapearing from usual faces so they can’t be caught out next time their faux outrage meter goes overboard. The second post in this thread had 7 thanks 10 minutes ago....

Zorya wrote: »
    Well a couple of decades ago this would not be considered weird because people were not as twistedly obsessed with race and identity as they seem to be now - ìt was either innocent craic or gauche silliness. People somehow did not notice the neighbourhood Nazis and racists that seem to mushroom in every crevice nowadays. But with a pain in the arse sanctimonious vain witless pompous preacher like Trudeau...heh, couldnt happen to a better gobshyte. A few days squirming will do him good.

Ahh the chicken little defense , nigel farage and trump succeed and all of a sudden boom ! anyone vaugely non PC in their humor is now automatically a card carrying racist, it was all a laugh when it was obama in the WH , but now ots the massive rise of rar right nationalism

Its twice as bad for him to do it since its his ilk that constantly condemn this type of thing as if they were above it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Its twice as bad for him to do it since its his ilk that constantly condemn this type of thing as if they were above it all

He also sacked two representatives of his party based on allegations of sexual assault saying that women should be believed no matter what and that historical abuse should be treated as if it happened today.

Until that is, he was exposed as having groped and fondled a female journalist without her consent at a festival years ago.

Did Saint Justin fall on his sword?

He denied it happened and then a couple of weeks late half-heartedly apologised that it "may have".

No one really cares he did it but it is the sort of thing people like Trudeau would be preaching fire and brimstone at others for.

It's like a Bishop years ago preaching against drink and "immoral women" being caught drunk in the arms of a stripper. No one minds but laugh at him being hoist on his own petard.

Progressives are the new Church, preaching and overbearingly righteous and nearly always from the well to do.

• Advertisement

It doesn't work like that though.

Unless it gets traction, then they'll all turn on him.

Easier targets to destroy, internal or external.

They use the fear of the mob to enforce conformity without and within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Danzy wrote: »
    No one really cares he did it but it is the sort of thing people like Trudeau would be preaching fire and brimstone at others for.

It's like a Bishop years ago preaching against drink and "immoral women being caught drunk in the arms of stripper. No one minds but laugh at him being hoist on his own petard.

Progressives are the new Church, preaching and overbearingly righteous and nearly always from the well to do.

Exactly.

It's like the Republican politicians that were calling for Clinton's head on a spike after the Lewinsky affair and a number of the loudest voices were found out to be having extra-marital affairs.

Exactly.

It's like the Republican politicians that were calling for Clinton's head on a spike after the Lewinsky affair and a number of the loudest voices were found out to be having extra-marital affairs.

Exactly the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Danzy wrote: »
    They are so often on the same page on so many issues that they end up being conflated.

With people like Trudeau it is also his preaching righteousness.

On social issues. Yes. Not on economic issues.

They are conflated incorrectly is my point. The one I hate he most is “liberal leftists”.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    In the context of Canadian politics, where they contest power with the centre-right Conservative Party, the Liberals are the centre left and by far the largest party of the left there.

The problem with a rigid interpretation of left and right is that they are defined by their relation to the centre. The centre is at a different point in different places and times. Indeed in the original left and right of the French National Assembly in the late 18th century both sides were a million miles from our current interpretations of the terms.

Applying a rigid 20th century European perspective of left and right will of course find that economically Canada has hardly any left to speak of; as does the US, and in fairness as does Ireland at this stage where even the "left" parties like SF and Labour would not touch low corporation tax rates if they got into power.

Indeed if we look at say the USSR in the 1920s The Right was the term for those who wanted a slower pace of collectivization, though we would now consider them hard-core Marxists.

Therefore it is reasonable to use the term Left for Trudeau, his policies and his party as that is the space they occupy in Canada.

Actually no, there is a viable left wing party in Canada called the NDP. The Liberals very much hold the centre, right on the economics and left on social issues.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

On social issues. Yes. Not on economic issues.

They are conflated incorrectly is my point. The one I hate he most is “liberal leftists”.

On some major economic issues, they are on same page, or at least not hostile to each other, for differing reasons why but the effects are the same.

Actually no, there is a viable left wing party in Canada called the NDP. The Liberals very much hold the centre, right on the economics and left on social issues.

Economically Trudeau had taken the liberals much further to the right and free market than it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Its not really because he just loves to apologise. It makes him more woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I think it shows you how social norms have moved so quickly in the past 20 years, it has moved fast, waaaaay too fast. Overton window so to speak.

Personally, the whole blackface thing or whatever its called is only slightly offensive but we live in an age where any offense is worthy of a social death sentence where you are morally beyond the pale and cast out of a certain type of social circle.

It is ironic and funny, that the hero of this liberal set has now gone on and exposed himself from the past. If he was true to his word, he should resign immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Id be very curious to know when exactly in 2001 the offending costume / makeup were worn by Trudeau. If it was after September 11th then it really would have been a foolish thing to do, reprehensible in fact, but theres no evidence it did.

Was there the same level of awareness / sensitivity towards donning black face makeup at that point in time, I genuinely dont remember. I think i would have more of a problem with where his hand is on the woman's chest. While it wouldnt constitute sexual assault it does look inappropriate.

Should Trudeau be hung because of this incident? I dont think so. Does it undermine him ? Absolutely Yes. Is Trudeau the great white hope of modern day politics ? Most probably not. Is Trudeau as guilty As Trump when it comes to regularly offending commonsense decency and undermining his office ? I would say not.

Advertisement