Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader of country caught up in blackface controversy.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

20 years ago.. in high school

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ding ding ding!!

Winner!!

If this was Trump the White House would be burning right now, but hey, it’s not, and it was like TOTALLY 20 years ago MAAAAN.

Post #2 in the thread.
    Congratulations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I wonder if he left a brown handprint on that woman's décolletage?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

sabat wrote: »
    I wonder if he left a brown handprint on that woman's décolletage?

It’s been a while since I heard that word, 1985 I think it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It’s been a while since I heard that word, 1985 I think it was.

"I can see the statue's décolletage moving Pat?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He wasn't in high school, as in attending high school. he was a teacher. How old do you think he is?

Anyway, stupid thing to do for sure but didnt we all do or say stupid things at some stage? Whats with the blackface trend amongst high profile politicians though? Bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

All liberals are closet racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Ding ding ding!!

Winner!!

If this was Trump the White House would be burning right now, but hey, it’s not, and it was like TOTALLY 20 years ago MAAAAN.

Post #2 in the thread.
    Congratulations.

Leaving claims of hypocrisy aside, do you feel he should be hung, drawn and quartered for it? Or can it be written off as silly mistake a long time ago for which he seems apologetic for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

two-jimmys.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The comments which Megyn Kelly made were about as innocuous as it gets too.

But people went after her, imo, as she had been so synonymous with FOX for many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Is there something wrong with putting black on your face? Like what's racsist about that? I thought racsim was thinking your particular race is superior to another? Or do I need to be educated on the history of ...... dden den den dennn.. BLACKFACE!!!!! In a historical context of course.
    What a load of boll**ks.
    The sooner we forget about racsim the quicker it'll go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Ding ding ding!!

Winner!!

Post #2 in the thread.
    Congratulations.

Really? Of all the things that Trump has done you think if he did blackface that'd be the thing that would bring him down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Well a couple of decades ago this would not be considered weird because people were not as twistedly obsessed with race and identity as they seem to be now - ìt was either innocent craic or gauche silliness. People somehow did not notice the neighbourhood Nazis and racists that seem to mushroom in every crevice nowadays. But with a pain in the arse sanctimonious vain witless pompous preacher like Trudeau...heh, couldnt happen to a better gobshyte. A few days squirming will do him good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The champion of the liberals embarrassed for all to see is fairly funny. The left are eating themselves.

I'm sure his best buddy Varadkar is not happy that his best buddy is a supposed racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Zorya wrote: »
    Well a couple of decades ago this would not be considered weird because people were not as twistedly obsessed with race and identity as they seem to be now - ìt was either innocent craic or gauche silliness. People somehow did not notice the neighbourhood Nazis and racists that seem to mushroom in every crevice nowadays. But with a pain in the arse sanctimonious vain witless pompous preacher like Trudeau...heh, couldnt happen to a better gobshyte. A few days squirming will do him good.
    Good post. The hypocrisy of people like Trudeau gets a light shone on it in situations like this.

If this were one of his opponents running for office who was shown to have worn blackface, he’d have been the first to condemn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Well he’s red faced now...... someone should have taught him to never do anything that can be caught on camera surely it’s 101 for public figures

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Your Face wrote: »
    All liberals are closet racists.

You’re right. I fücking hate closets. Send them home to Ikea or wherever they come from.

lalababa wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with putting black on your face? Like what's racsist about that?

No idea - my daughter wanted to be Moana one Halloween of late. Being possibly one of the palest skin girls in Ireland she happily used things to make her go down 1000 shades of brown to something akin to the film. The world did not end and not a single person of any skin colour protested or batted an eye lid.

Online however - I ended up reading articles about people getting seriously triggered by kids dressed up as Moana and other costumes that required darkening skin. And even where the kids did not change their skin - sure they got offended anyway because of the "cultural appropriation" one they use when they can't find the black faces.

Once again showing me that when you turn off the computer and go out into the real world - none of this culture of offence seems to be in evidence. The twittersphere and places like it really are a new world separate from my own - which is probably why I never signed up for it.

Our species is weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

Nobody now calls Orson Welles racist for wearing dark make-up in his adaptation of Othello, or for his 'Voodoo Macbeth that he staged in Harlem with a troupe of black actors. Why? Because he never gave any indication, before or after, that he was racist.

So I agree with the OP that this would be a bigger news story if this was Trump, but that's because The Donald, quite demonstrably, doesn't like black people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Not surprised at this. I'm generally a liberal. He's not my hero. No fan of Varadkar either, even if it's refreshing to have someone in who's capable of talking to foreign leaders without trying to crawl up their buttholes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

If you've got the right politics, this doesn't matter. The current (D) Governor of Virginia was found last year to be in a college pic in blackface beside someone dressed up as a Klansman. Absolute crickets from the usual quarters. Because? he's a Democrat, and therefore: A Good Guy.

Ah **** off with the claims it's not racist. Would you do it in front of a bunch of Indian people? Nope of course not, not unless you were ripping the p!ss out of them.

Those clips of comedians in blackface - they did that in fro nct of black people and in such a way as not to cause offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No idea - my daughter wanted to be Moana one Halloween of late. Being possibly one of the palest skin girls in Ireland she happily used things to make her go down 1000 shades of brown to something akin to the film. The world did not end and not a single person of any skin colour protested or batted an eye lid.

Mumble mumble cultural appropriation mumble mumble!

Its one of those things that SJW's will label anyone partaking in as at the very least culturally insensitive and at worst a white slave owning devil...

Surely common sense would dictate that for the act to be racist that the person in blackface, has to at the very least have racism or aggression towards another race as part of the animus for their act?

The race to label many as racist for blacking up, would likely lead to 90% of Irish people who did Halloween anytime before 2000 as plantation owners!
    What with the national penchant for bin bags and shoe polish!

There are certainly instances and issues where blackface is clearly wrong and deliberately intended to be offensive.
    However there is a rush (online) to infer offense at every little thing often where none is implied.

I don't consider myself racist, but I have done racist things out of sheer stupidity.
    I apologised at the time to those who took offence and learned a lesson but also made it clear the offence given was not deliberate and I learned something too.
    Is the teen early 20s bracket no longer the appropriate to learn, test and understand what our social norms are?
    Anyone who made it through that age Bracket without doing something as thoughtless is not only a better person than I...
    They are better than Gandhi, Buddha and Jesus too!

I mean that time at work when I found out my friend was having an affair with one of the hottest girls in the office...
    And I said "You kept that quiet, you're a dark horse aren't you?"
    Out of context a racist remark?
    Possibly considering he was black, and from what I've heard...
    Hung like a horse!
    But luckily I hadn't said it in twitter I suppose ;) and he has a grasp of the nuance of language :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Wow, Mr.Peoplekind getting eaten by his own crew.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Justin should have gone to that party as Fidel Castro, who was a really good friend with his mom.

obit-fidel-castro-20161126.jpg

He was 29. A case of arrested development.

Democrats are far quicker to renounce other Democrats than Republicans are to renounce Republicans. That comedian guy who had the joke photo with his hands on a sleeping woman's chest was hung out to dry for that. Trump is a blundering madman but Republicans always back him up so long as he keeps pushing Republican policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

2001 when he was 29 years old.
    Around the time he sexually assaulted the female reporter too.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/06/canada-justin-trudeau-groping-case-reporter

Never trust a Male Feminist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Its been a bad few weeks for the left, at home and abroad.

• Advertisement

2001 when he was 29 years old.
    Around the time he sexually assaulted the female reporter too.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/06/canada-justin-trudeau-groping-case-reporter

Never trust a Male Feminist.
    He what now?

Advertisement