Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader of country caught up in blackface controversy.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

From FB comments:

"When I was a kid I dressed up as a witch, I feel bad now, I've just emailed Joan Burton and apologized."

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

Can somebody please fill me in in what's racist about this ?

Dressing up as a TV characters for fancy dress isn't racist. Unless he started doing Nazi Salutes or said I hate Indians while doing it.

Is this that cultural appropriation thing again ? I seen a black man once drink a Guinness with a Jameson chaser ? Does that count ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Since when did an Irish forum become so hyper American? It's fairly cringey at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Since when did an Irish forum become so hyper American? It's fairly cringey at this stage.
    It's gotta be exhausting being that angry and outraged at Trump all of the time.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's not racist FFS
    Now if Trump did it the libtards in the media would be all over him for it so I hope leos BFF gets it too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

notobtuse wrote: »
    It's gotta be exhausting being that angry and outraged at Trump all of the time.

What are you on about? I didn't even mention Trump :confused:

But thanks for proving my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

piplip87 wrote: »

Dressing up as a TV characters for fancy dress isn't racist. Unless he started doing Nazi Salutes or said I hate Indians while doing it.

Is this that cultural appropriation thing again ? I seen a black man once drink a Guinness with a Jameson chaser ? Does that count ?

"Culturally insensitive", I believe is what the youngsters are it calling nowadays.

Must admit I'm rather enjoying all of this. It's not that I even dislike him as a politician as much as I just dislike him. He just seems so incredibly smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

notobtuse wrote: »

It's not our fault you people elected a loolah who hates the general public and science.

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's not racist FFS
    Now if Trump did it the libtards in the media would be all over him for it so I hope leos BFF gets it too

Who's defending him? Your nose is out of joint because nobody is.
    Seriously man, lay off the Republican propaganda. Is Leo friends with 'King of the lefties'? If Leo really messes up will he be a commie or something? :rolleyes:
    Funny how pretty much every country is run by a right winger yet right wingers see conspiracy everywhere. Maybe pick better stooges to make leaders.

In my opinion nothing at all.

However if you open the link in the OP and scroll down a little there is a link to another article called "What is Blackface ?". This article goes a good way to explain the concerns - which I think mostly ridiculous and not applicable - of the people who are bothered by it.

While I do not agree with most of that position - it pays to at least understand it. So it was a useful article for me. Perhaps you will find it so too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

What are you on about? I didn't even mention Trump :confused:

But thanks for proving my point.
    It's called humor. And by-the-way... I'm American. I don't think it proves your point.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Historically in the US it was used to mock people. Its not really seen as badly in Europe in my opinion. I think in relation to minstrels and stereotypes of black people in the US it is seen as mockery by black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

In my opinion nothing at all.

However if you open the link in the OP and scroll down a little there is a link to another article called "What is Blackface ?". This article goes a good way to explain the concerns - which I think mostly ridiculous and not applicable - of the people who are bothered by it.

While I do not agree with most of that position - it pays to at least understand it. So it was a useful article for me. Perhaps you will find it so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It’s a current affairs forum. Not Irish current affairs.

It’s a current affairs forum. Not Irish current affairs.

He might mean all the psychotic americanised 'them and us' 'lefty/righty' ****e like thinking Trudeau is the hero of some homogeneous liberal movement to try score points in an imagined war.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Says the user who posts more than anyone else in those threads, usually endorsing the nonsense view that fascists and nazis are taking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have the “Black & White Minstrels” been executed yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

Have the “Black & White Minstrels” been executed yet?

They've gone underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,806 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Says the user who posts more than anyone else in those threads, usually endorsing the nonsense view that fascists and nazis are taking over.

Says the user that very often posts "grr the fascist leftists" horse****.

(Do we really wanna start this today? I don't. But I'll finish it!)

edit:

The more you speak the more you sound like you're talking about the fascist left.

With their gender quota laws, and incorrect pronoun legislation, and lord knows what's next in terms of qualifying as hate speech.

Time and again lefties have been shown that when put in positions in power they will do their level best to pass laws which are insane.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/38293/Now-Labour-plans-law-to-bar-white-men-from-jobs
    Looks like a pot calling the kettle black, Pete Pete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Jesus christ, is this really what the world has come to. You can actually get in trouble these days for dressing up at a fancy dress party?

Reminds me of this.

At Yale, in 2015, they (Professor and Wife) were involved in a controversy related to the regulation of Halloween costumes. On October 29, 2015, Christakis' wife Erika Christakis, a Lecturer on Early Childhood Education at the Yale Child Study Center, wrote an e-mail to Yale undergraduates on the role of free expression in universities; she argued, from a developmental perspective, that students might wish to consider whether administrators should provide guidance on Halloween attire or whether students might wish to be allowed to "dress themselves."

This e-mail was in response to a long earlier e-mail sent to undergraduates by a group of 14 administrators at Yale which suggested students be careful when choosing Halloween costumes, and which provided links to recommended and non-recommended costumes.The e-mail played a role in protests on campus that received national attention in the United States.

Brainwashed idiots. Did they miss there squish toy/play-doh class that day I wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Nothing story. How was he to know 15 years down the line he'd be Prime Minister and subjected to this?

And blackfacing has only become a negative thing in the last couple of years.

This is just moral revisionism gone mad. Next you won't be able to dress up as Pocahontus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

This is just moral revisionism gone mad. Next you won't be able to dress up as Pocahontus!

Or as his missus!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Iniesta was hauled over the proverbial coals when he posted a pic earlier this year from los reyes magos, but Trudeau is only having a bit of fun. Social media justice warriors etc are the biggest **** of the lot.
    I do not care what politicians in Canada or the USA do. I do not buy into this US identity politics stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

jimgoose wrote: »

From FB comments:

"When I was a kid I dressed up as a witch, I feel bad now, I've just emailed Joan Burton and apologized."

:pac::pac::pac:

Might have been wiser to have emailed Ruth Coppinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

peddlelies wrote: »
    Jesus christ, is this really what the world has come to. You can actually get in trouble these days for dressing up at a fancy dress party?

Reminds me of this.

At Yale, in 2015, they (Professor and Wife) were involved in a controversy related to the regulation of Halloween costumes. On October 29, 2015, Christakis' wife Erika Christakis, a Lecturer on Early Childhood Education at the Yale Child Study Center, wrote an e-mail to Yale undergraduates on the role of free expression in universities; she argued, from a developmental perspective, that students might wish to consider whether administrators should provide guidance on Halloween attire or whether students might wish to be allowed to "dress themselves."

This e-mail was in response to a long earlier e-mail sent to undergraduates by a group of 14 administrators at Yale which suggested students be careful when choosing Halloween costumes, and which provided links to recommended and non-recommended costumes.The e-mail played a role in protests on campus that received national attention in the United States.

Brainwashed idiots. Did they miss there squish toy/play-doh class that day I wonder.

Hahahaha. That video is great. What a bunch of insane, delusional, entitled, confused, morons.

Surely they’ll look back at that video and cringe until their eyes pop out.

The professor kept his mirth much better than I could if confronted by such hypocrisy and stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Hahahaha. That video is great. What a bunch of insane, delusional, entitled, confused, morons.

Surely they’ll look back at that video and cringe until their eyes pop out.

The professor kept his mirth much better than I could if confronted by such hypocrisy and stupidity.

They are like five year olds. Disgraceful behavior by adults.

Pointed out groups people who are racist sure, or would you rather we ignored them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

peddlelies wrote: »

That's pretty sad tbh.

How are these people going to survive in the real world without their safe space?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

only a total arsehole would drag up someone doing blackface 20 years ago and use it to assault that person's career. Unfortunately for Justin, he is just that type of arsehole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They are like five year olds. Disgraceful behavior by adults.

Exactly what I was thinking. That behaviour is on a level with my 7 year old child. What happened to those people that they think it's acceptable to go on like that? It's not just cringy but scary that these people are the future! How will they cope when they enter the real world I wonder.

Advertisement