Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Ryanair school of publicity is to get in the news any way you can because people have already made up their opinion on you.

Or it's more incompetence.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/14/trump-ad-asks-people-to-support-the-troops-but-it-uses-a-picture-of-russian-jets-414883
    The Trump Make America Great Again Committee is run by both the Republican National Committee and the campaign.
    “That’s definitely a MiG-29,” said Pierre Sprey, who helped design both the F-16 and A-10 planes for the U.S. Air Force. “I’m glad to see it’s supporting our troops.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Water John wrote: »
    Sadly his brain is a bit disconnected from reality. When they start digging more into him, wonder what they will find? Hasn't a great employment history.

Loads of digging has already been done and the results of that digging have been known for YEARS! How anyone in the Federal Government could even consider hiring this person into a senior Administration role given that he lived in Russia for 6 years, acted as an advisor to Yeltsin for at least 2-3 of those years, advised Putin, Gazprom.and a range of others... Promulgated a narrative that 2016 election interference was entirely and only perpetrated by Ukraine and not Russia, and for the benefit of Hillary and not Trump! All this was entirely in the Q wheelhouse, and was assessed TIME and AGAIN as false by dint of previous US official Intelligence Community findings...

A total loon from the Roger Stone school of Rat****ery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Not sure which thread is dealing with this subject at this stage, but Caputo allegedly held an emergency meeting in DHHS today to a) apologise for his weekend tirade and b) signal that he's looking for a medical leave of absence.

It might be the first case of a serious implosion within the administration, a self-admission that he was not of sound mind when he made the statement on facebook and was standing aside from the job Trump gave him in the administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Trump is currently doing a town hall with ABC where members of the audience can ask questions. As you can imagine, he's making an absolute balls of it. Lies, deflection and incoherent rubbish as usual. He's unable to discuss policy because he doesn't have any.

When reminded that nearly 200,000 people have died from coronavirus, he claims he has no regrets about his response and further claims he didn't downplay the virus even though it's on tape. Again says that it's going to disappear. No doubt he thinks he's doing great and there'll be a tweet about ratings shortly. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Covering his ass, not the first time he has spouted looney toon nonsense.

Edit: this is in relation to Michael Caputo.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Donald reckons that the virus will disappear due to "herd mentality". The irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump is currently doing a town hall with ABC where members of the audience can ask questions. As you can imagine, he's making an absolute balls of it. Lies, deflection and incoherent rubbish as usual. He's unable to discuss policy because he doesn't have any.

When reminded that nearly 200,000 people have died from coronavirus, he claims he has no regrets about his response and further claims he didn't downplay the virus even though it's on tape. Again says that it's going to disappear. No doubt he thinks he's doing great and there'll be a tweet about ratings shortly. Idiot.

Jesus that was some show, And this is the man who is going to allegedly destroy Biden in the debates!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Jesus that was some show, And this is the man who is going to allegedly destroy Biden in the debates!

It literally makes no difference what he says at this stage. The man could turn up, take a dump on the stage and walk off and his enablers would still put it down as a Trump victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    It literally makes no difference what he says at this stage. The man could turn up, take a dump on the stage and walk off and his enablers would still put it down as a Trump victory.

And his cult members will say, "See? He was answering questions!" as something that's actually good. Can see that in the threads here today.

Doesn't matter what he says, either. The lies flew thick and fast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any chance he could do a Boris Johnson for the debates. They know he is going to get eviscerated so they just don't show up and engage in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It’s definitely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Donald reckons that the virus will disappear due to "herd mentality". The irony.

Is this like Yogic teaching, if we all close our eyes at the same time and wish the virus to go away, it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

I lost an espresso reading that earlier. Jaysus wept, he reveals so much more of this thinking and mindset than he realises.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Any chance he could do a Boris Johnson for the debates. They know he is going to get eviscerated so they just don't show up and engage in them.
    It’s definitely possible.

I can definitely see a scenario where the 1st debate goes horribly for him - Chris Wallace is the moderator and he then goes down the "Fake News Media" , "MSM Hit Job" etc. and he then refuses to participate in the other debates.

You can already see that after last night , he got exposed and his defenders were out calling it a "hit job" etc.

The debates are going to be very very different for him this time around - He will have to defend his record , he can't just bat everything away with "I'll be better" etc.

And last night showed that he's simply not equipped to handle that environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

hirondelle wrote: »
    I lost an espresso reading that earlier. Jaysus wept, he reveals so much more of this thinking and mindset than he realises.

Absolutely, as I read a tweet today the media will make a big thing of the clear slip between mentality on immunity.

The real story is that is where the thinking is. Trump has no intention of stopping the virus, no intention of limiting the deaths, the only plan is enough people get it as to limit the effects.

But how many people die in that scenaro? Isn't immunity something above 60%. Thats 200m+ cases, at at 1% death that is 2m+ dead!!!!

Gbear wrote: »
    You could perhaps engineer a system where inmate numbers isn't the goal, but rather reducing recidivism is - bonuses based on how many inmates return to work, don't get arrested in the future, etc.

I don't necessarily disagree that capitalism might be a problem in this case, but the police state, racism and the latent facism of the US are bigger factors, IMO.

Private prisons are tailored that way because the goal is to incarcertate and disenfranchise large numbers of "neer-do-wells" - mostly minorities these days, but historically, lefties and hippies as well.

A bigger captialism-related failure would be how the legal system in the US in large part arose around protecting capital. Again, a lot of that was from minorities, but also from labour.

While they're less direct about it these days, I think the hand-wringing around destruction of property by the right wing, while there have been decades of failures to deal with police violence, or how the murder rates among black people are just shrugged at because "it's their own fault" or whatever, betrays the fact that the goal of the police is still to protect the capital class.

Late to this, but also to add- I read a couple of weeks ago that while prisoners don't have the right to vote, they are counted in terms of the voting weight of the county they are in (I think this may apply to senate votes in particular), so that counties with very large prison populations are overrepresented and will clearly have an interest in further increasing the prison population there, apart from the fact that the prisons can be hugely significant to the local economy.

I don't think this is a decisive issue, but it does suggest an entirely corrupted system with both corporations and communities having a vested interest in increasing prisoner numbers.

I hadn't realised about the convict firefighting situation in California. That is off the charts inhumane IMO. I trust they don't operate as a chain gang:eek:

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Absolutely, as I read a tweet today the media will make a big thing of the clear slip between mentality on immunity.

The real story is that is where the thinking is. Trump has no intention of stopping the virus, no intention of limiting the deaths, the only plan is enough people get it as to limit the effects.

But how many people die in that scenaro? Isn't immunity something above 60%. Thats 200m+ cases, at at 1% death that is 2m+ dead!!!!

But two million deaths after November 3rd, so that's ok.

Late to this, but also to add- I read a couple of weeks ago that while prisoners don't have the right to vote, they are counted in terms of the voting weight of the county they are in (I think this may apply to senate votes in particular), so that counties with very large prison populations are overrepresented and will clearly have an interest in further increasing the prison population there, apart from the fact that the prisons can be hugely significant to the local economy.

I don't think this is a decisive issue, but it does suggest an entirely corrupted system with both corporations and communities having a vested interest in increasing prisoner numbers.

I hadn't realised about the convict firefighting situation in California. That is off the charts inhumane IMO. I trust they don't operate as a chain gang:eek:

Would the prison population numbers be a bonus to help keep the Electoral College in existence?

But two million deaths after November 3rd, so that's ok.

Given Trump's comment on his being safe from catching Covid-19 without wearing a mask because of the distance between him and his supporters at the rally, it's clear where his thoughts are reference any Covid-19 deaths.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »
    Given Trump's comment on his being safe from catching Covid-19 without wearing a mask because of the distance between him and his supporters at the rally, it's clear where his thoughts are reference any Covid-19 deaths.

His first , last and only thought is "What's in it for me"

And for rallies, the thought process goes like this
    • I need to get re-elected
    • The Economy is the only thing that people rate me higher on than Biden
    • I need to make it look like the economy is going again
    • So - I'll ignore anything that might impact that and make every effort to make it look like everything is fine
    • If people die but I get elected , that's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Igotadose wrote: »
    And his cult members will say, "See? He was answering questions!" as something that's actually good. Can see that in the threads here today.

Doesn't matter what he says, either. The lies flew thick and fast.

"Cult"
    People who support a candidate or party are not cult members.
    Are Democrat or Biden supporters also cult members? Are ff or labour etc supporters cult members too?

Very childish. I thought this was supposed to be the politics form not current affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭amandstu

How are his beloved "uneducated" going to integrate his ability to downplay and overplay the pandemic at the same time?

Kinda like bilocation innit?

And the non existent climate change (going to go away in a puff) is making hazy skies over the East Coast from the forest fires in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,036 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"Cult"
    Are Democrat or Biden supporters also cult members? Are ff or labour etc supporters cult members too?

Very childish. I thought this was supposed to be the politics form not current affairs

Supporters of a candidate or party are not automatically cult members.

There is a cult of personality around trump. To refuse to acknowledge this is just further disingenuous water muddying efforts. trump plays up to it himself, his is a RINO. He is apolitical actually in my opinion, he doesn't have principles of core policy objectives other than what makes him look good in the short term. You know this.

If you were to look up the definition of a cult, or cult leader worship for example trump supporters sadly for them fall directly j to the category. It's sad in many ways. The ones who are truly conned you always have pity for, the disgust reserved for the conmen and those who really do know better.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

"Cult"

I agree that following a candidate or party does not automatically make you a cult member.

However, the level of support and devotion for Trump shown by many of his followers is definitely 'cult' like. Otherwise, how could you explain their unwavering devotion to him, despite everything he has done and said over the past four years?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"Cult"

If they blindingly believe everything the leader says and ignore everything bad and all of their lies then yes, they are akin to cult members.

Apologies to StringerBell for more or less duplicating the points he made. I hadn't seen his response when I posted mine.

If they blindingly believe everything the leader says and ignore everything bad and all of their lies then yes, they are akin to cult members.

Are people who hate him members of an anti Trump cult?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,016 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I can definitely see a scenario where the 1st debate goes horribly for him - Chris Wallace is the moderator and he then goes down the "Fake News Media" , "MSM Hit Job" etc. and he then refuses to participate in the other debates.

You can already see that after last night , he got exposed and his defenders were out calling it a "hit job" etc.

The debates are going to be very very different for him this time around - He will have to defend his record , he can't just bat everything away with "I'll be better" etc.

And last night showed that he's simply not equipped to handle that environment.

Same was said last time round and he done them.

He was poor last night, but was always going to happen when you leave your safe space and have to defend that record. Whoever told him it would be a good idea ,,,oh dear.

Going to be interesting though if Biden leaves his safe space and goes into any sort of hostile territory before the election,,,if I were him why bother?

Are people who hate him members of anti Trump cult?

That's a totally false equivalency. People feel repulsed by Trump's behaviour and this is totally justified, in my opinion.

If you don't feel that way about him, perhaps you could enlighten us as to why you think we should not feel that way?

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    That's a totally false equivalency. People feel repulsed by Trump's behaviour and this is totally justified, in my opinion.

If you don't feel that way about him, perhaps you could enlighten us as to why you think we should not feel that way?

*Some people

He was elected 4 years ago. Someone might interpret your comment as all people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement