Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Hi all,
    Have listened to all of Alan Brazil’s wine podcasts over the last 2 months, bar today’s one.
    I love him as a broadcaster and he is a great storyteller too. He speaks about wine with as much passion as when he speaks on sports.
    Anyway, has anyone tasted any of the following that he recommended?
    Crusher a Californian red
    Whispering Angel a French rosé - guy in Dunnes says this flies out when in stock.
    Cheers

The guy from talk sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Have never heard of Crusher red or seen it here... Menage a Trois is a Californian blend, might be worth sampling as an alternative, available from some independent offies.

Whispering Angel rose gets a lot of hype, its on my to drink list.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭nice bit of green

limnam wrote: »
    The guy from talk sport?
    Yes indeed. Bon vivant.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,093 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Whispering Angel rose gets a lot of hype, its on my to drink list.

FYI, there are two different Roses from them

Yes indeed. Bon vivant.

Wasn't aware he knew anything about wine.

Sounds like he drank a fair amount :pac:

Podcasts any good ?

• Advertisement

Wasn't aware he knew anything about wine.

Sounds like he drank a fair amount :pac:

Podcasts any good ?

I find him excellent. Always has a nice story to compliment whatever wine he is speaking of. Refers to football and horse racing a lot. Plus he reminds me of weekend evenings in the garden when I’m stuck indoors working midweek. Like right now!

O'Briens wine of the week seems to be Il Padrino red and white, €9 each or 6 for €50. I presume you can mix and match.

I'm a fan of the red, a mix of Sicilian and international grapes - Merlot, Nero d'Avola, Sangiovese.

I haven't had the current version of the white, previously it was labelled as Grillo but now is 'Bianco' with a mix of Catarratto, Grecanico, Grillo grapes.

wine-il-padrino-rosso-15005088251982_x500.png?v=1591096382
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/il-padrino-rosso

Granted I haven't been exploring as much this year but my bottle of the year so far. I'll have to start buying more from O'Brien's as something seems to have changed there maybe the buyer. They're getting in some really nice wine.

Bit strange that this was bottled in trentino. Anyway from the site

This is a bright and fruit-driven modern Nero d'Avola. Some of the grapes for the wine are semi-dried on the vine under the baking Sicilian sun to concentrate the flavours and sugars giving buckets of vibrant dark cherry and plummy fruit, balanced with good acidity and round silky tannins.

wine-nero-oro-appassimento-14270946345038_x500.png?v=1582660295

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Granted I haven't been exploring as much this year but my bottle of the year so far. I'll have to start buying more from O'Brien's as something seems to have changed there maybe the buyer. They're getting in some really nice wine.

This is a bright and fruit-driven modern Nero d'Avola. Some of the grapes for the wine are semi-dried on the vine under the baking Sicilian sun to concentrate the flavours and sugars giving buckets of vibrant dark cherry and plummy fruit, balanced with good acidity and round silky tannins.

Had this a few weeks ago and thought it was really good. I think it's on special at the moment in O'Briens, so definitely worth checking out.

Got a couple of bottles of whispering angel on Friday from Dunnes, worked out at €20 each using their vouchers. Nothing special. Give me the lidl Prosecco any day.
    I must say the odd few times I’ve splurged and spent €20-€30 on a bottle of something, I’ve never been blown away.

• Advertisement

Got a couple of bottles of whispering angel on Friday from Dunnes, worked out at €20 each using their vouchers. Nothing special. Give me the lidl Prosecco any day.
    I must say the odd few times I’ve splurged and spent €20-€30 on a bottle of something, I’ve never been blown away.

increase in $$ doesn't guarantee anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yes also bought a bottle or two after rave reviews elsewhere. T'was ok but expensive for what it is considering this is 19 quid buy one get one half price. And just as nice.

wine-gerard-bertrand-cote-des-roses-14275402399822_x500.png?v=1582720019

The Cune Crianza Rioja is in 6 for €50 deal in Tesco at the moment.

Also included Brancott Estate, Las Moras Dada, Graham Norton and Dark Horse.
    Dunno much about the Dark Horse (hence the name!), seems to be from California:
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32877413

2018-GHP-Carousel-672x250-Wine.jpg

I find Minervois in general to be a good value French appellation, and this is a fine example of that.
    • Chateau du Donjon Minervois, Grande Tradition (2016)
    • 14.5% but well balanced and powerful rather than overwhelming
    • I had purchased it a while back from Molloys and only got around to opening it now with beef dinner, though would also go well with lamb.
    • I was pleasantly surprised it was only €11.95 - a wine of corresponding quality for Bordeaux would be closer to €20.
      https://molloys.ie/chateau-du-donjon-minervois-grande-tradition
    chateau-du-donjon_20181102192243.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I find Minervois in general to be a good value French appellation, and this is a fine example of that.
    • Chateau du Donjon Minervois, Grande Tradition (2016)
    • 14.5% but well balanced and powerful rather than overwhelming
    • I had purchased it a while back from Molloys and only got around to opening it now with beef dinner, though would also go well with lamb.
    • I was pleasantly surprised it was only €11.95 - a wine of corresponding quality for Bordeaux would be closer to €20.
      https://molloys.ie/chateau-du-donjon-minervois-grande-tradition
    chateau-du-donjon_20181102192243.png

I love red wine from the Languedoc Roussillon region, like Minervois, Corbierres and Fitou. Always amazing value, but of course you can get some stinkers but generally speaking they're a good choice especially in restaurants.

I had the above one a few weeks ago and really liked it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I love red wine from the Languedoc Roussillon region, like Minervois, Corbierres and Fitou. Always amazing value, but of course you can get some stinkers but generally speaking they're a good choice especially in restaurants. I had the above one a few weeks ago and really liked it.

In O'Briens Gerard Bertrand has a few from those regions I think... good as winters warmers.

Another reliable appellation for me is Lirac, a Cotes du Rhones Villages red.
    This is a lovely one, Domaine Mejan Lirac, €16.95 from Molloys:
    https://molloys.ie/domaine-mejan-lirac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I love red wine from the Languedoc Roussillon region, like Minervois, Corbierres and Fitou. Always amazing value, but of course you can get some stinkers but generally speaking they're a good choice especially in restaurants.

I had the above one a few weeks ago and really liked it.

Aldi have a lovely fitou that seems to come and go. Really cracking value at €8.50 I think...

Another friday night, another 'blind' virtual wine tasting with Wines Of the World in Cork.

The focus of this session was on organic wines.

Wine #1 was a grape I haven't tasted before - Verdejo from Spain i.e. El Miracle Organic Verdejo rrp €11.85. A soft \ rounded white with gentle citrus flavours. Closest I would compare it to would be French expressions of sauvignon blanc (which was my incorrect guess).

Wine #2 was a step up, packed a depth of flavour. I correctly guessed Chardonnay as the grape but the country was a surprise - Chile. The wine was Organic Veramonte Chardonnay. 14% alcohol is strong for a white, but I would not have guessed that from tasting. Taste profile more towards honey \ toast \ butter. Dunno the rrp on this one as not listed on the WOTW site yet.

We finished with a red for Wine #3. I correctly guessed an italian red but no idea if it was Chianti, or Sicilian or somewhere in between. It was Casa Catelli Organic Montepulciano D'Abruzzo DOC rrp €13.50. Rich flavours of blackberry and spice. This is a wine for sipping and savouring slowly on a cool evening or to pair with a rich italian style dish such as beef ragu.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

This was a great recommendation, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Chateau Clarke 2015 Listrac Médoc from Edmond de Rothschild, bought a case of it a while back, pretty good, in fact, I am finishing a leftover from a bottle we had stopped a coupla weeks ago. Very woody, as noble as I am or would wish to be. See, I am already a bit round.

• Advertisement

In Aldi this evening and saw some wines I personally had not seen there before. Picked a Fleurie, Pierre Jaurant, selling for 8.99 I think.

Beautifully light and aromatic with lots of soft and never overpowering brambly fruits, I must confess it hit the spot perfectly for a Friday night and I really enjoyed it, would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Been trying a few different wines recently with a group and this is the one that stood out for all of us. Currently in Aldi, deep, dark, rich and very plummy.

704493400740800-A.jpg?o=VlzrDkvRYx9x06g1W%24abNj7r2%40kj&V=A5nB&w=500&p=2&q=50

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Aldi. Excellent for €7.50.

Smooth, solid fruits, lovely bit of spice and pepper.

BaCyI6hNTVuSKc8B0kUDpw_375x500.jpg

Had a superb bottle of Valpolicella with bank holiday Monday dinner, a Valpolicella Superiore Zenato, which we got as a present some months ago. Beautifully smooth, velvety, luscious and fruity, the nicest wine I have had in some time.

valpolicella-classico-superiore-zenato-2017_21152.jpg

Seems to be sold only by Searsons and retails at €18.95, which is at the upper end of what I would generally personally pay, but I really would seek this out again.

https://searsons.com/product/zenato-valpolicella-superiore-2/#:~:text=Delicate%2C%20reminiscent%20of%20maraschino%20cherries,structured%20wine%2C%20full%2Dbodied.

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Had a superb bottle of Valpolicella with bank holiday Monday dinner, a Valpolicella Superiore Zenato, which we got as a present some months ago. Beautifully smooth, velvety, luscious and fruity, the nicest wine I have had in some time.

Their Rpiassa is very good too. Bit pricer at aprox 25e

Just a heads up to anyone who might be interested, Tesco seem to be selling off some of their wines at reduced prices at the moment. To be clear, I'm not talking about their routine half price third world wines, but apparently genuine reductions on presumably slow moving product.

They used to do this some years ago, but I haven't seen it for quite a while, today my local Tesco had maybe a dozen or so differing wines (red primarily) all reduced by about 40% - wines as diverse as Medoc, St. Chinian, Rioja....and others. I can't vouch for their quality, but do believe it to be genuine value, and the types could differ from store to store. I bought a Medoc to try, reduced from €12 to €7.20.

I do realise there are a few drink bargain alerts threads, but they seem to be primarily concerned with beer/lager/spirits so thought some of wine aficionados on here might be interested.

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    They used to do this some years ago, but I haven't seen it for quite a while, today my local Tesco had maybe a dozen or so differing wines (red primarily) all reduced by about 40% - wines as diverse as Medoc, St. Chinian, Rioja....and others. I can't vouch for their quality, but do believe it to be genuine value, and the types could differ from store to store. I bought a Medoc to try, reduced from €12 to €7.20.

Sounds like the Tesco Finest range of wines.
    I've heard good reviews about the St Chinian and for the others I'd say Tesco are a bit fussier about what they put into a 'Finest' range than some of their fake chateau etc brands.

It doesn't seem to be a general thing or maybe it's in store only.
    Online the prices are still showing up as €12.

There does seem to be a lot of cabernets showing up as half price online - I think I'll pick up a bottle of the Ian Botham series.
    I've only sampled it at a tasting but I remember it packing a punch - like the man himself :)

Sounds like the Tesco Finest range of wines.
    I've heard good reviews about the St Chinian and for the others I'd say Tesco are a bit fussier about what they put into a 'Finest' range than some of their fake chateau etc brands.

It doesn't seem to be a general thing or maybe it's in store only.
    Online the prices are still showing up as €12.

There does seem to be a lot of cabernets showing up as half price online - I think I'll pick up a bottle of the Ian Botham series.
    I've only sampled it at a tasting but I remember it packing a punch - like the man himself :)

Certainly some are from their finest range, which I generally find quite decent from what it is (I know others are quite dismissive of this range), but there are wines outside the finest range also included, so it is not just limited to that range. I would not expect to see it highlighted online, my experience is these are "reduced to clear" on a store by store basis. Depending on my experience with the Medoc tonight, I will likely be back for more tomorrow.

So a Tesco wine again, but not one of the bin end bargains :)

It is on offer at €9 down from €12 and that's probably a more realistic price tbf.
    Piccini's Chianti - not going to win(e) any awards, but comes into its own as a food friendly wine.
    Its acidity paired well with slow cooked pork shanks* - and would work well with similar dishes such as pork shoulder, neck* or lamb.
    * Available at bargain prices in your local Polo store.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

• Advertisement

Staying with Chianti, this time one recommended by Leslie Williams in the Examiner:
    • Angelico Chianti, Spar \ Eurospar priced at €9.99
    • This has good tipicity despite the low price - cherries and violet aromas, fruity and supple with good acidity and balance. A bargain.
    • One to pair with lasagne \ pizza \ tomato sauce based dishes
    • Checks in at 12% but doesn't taste thin at all, and given the humid weather could be served lightly chilled

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/food/arid-40028768.html

Advertisement