Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And now we come to my Desert Island Discs wine... that one wine you would bring with you for the duration.

Ascheri Barolo, this was the 2011. A wonderful expression of the Nebbiolo grape from Piedmont, this one showing how it can rival the pinot noirs of Burgundy.
    14% but silky smooth, delicate fruits on the first sip and a serious long finish.
    Rarely have Iceland's economy frozen lamb chops had such a noble companion :)

Usually €35 - €40 iin O'Briens but in their Italian wine sale can be picked up for about €25.

1352590l.jpg

I met the winemaker Matteo Ashceri at an O'Briens wine fair a few years back, a bear of a man. The Pavarotti of wine!
    082035399-a57e0c40-45e1-4903-9486-4f4245dfcd51.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

310927_17BE_AUG19.jpg

Picked this up today for no other reason than trying to find a reasonably priced rioja. Absolute belter for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Aidric wrote:
    Picked this up today for no other reason than trying to find a reasonably priced rioja. Absolute belter for the price.

Any Cune wines tend to be very good. Used to get a magnum of their Rioja Reserva every Christmas, top notch stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

The Lidl Coonawarra was terrific, the Cotes de Rhone Villages less so

• Registered Users Posts: 39,131 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aidric wrote: »
    310927_17BE_AUG19.jpg

What was the price and where did you get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Mellor wrote: »
    What was the price and where did you get it?

Co-Op in Zurich for 14 Francs. Not sure if that helps :pac:

Aidric wrote: »
    Co-Op in Zurich for 14 Francs. Not sure if that helps :pac:
    Francs are as handy as euros
    Was only looking to compare to the price in my local. 30 Dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Since 13-Mar closure of schools:

I have built up approx 15 bottles of red wine over the years.

Now drinking them, one every Friday.

(1) Chile Valle Central 2018 merlot

(2-3) AOP Medoc - Chateau Pey de Pont x2 2014 Cru Bourgeois

(4) DOCG Chianti 2016

(5-6) Burgundy-Beaujolais-Fleurie x2: Domaine de la Presle 2015

(7-8) Bordeaux - Moulin de Lonchat 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭maddness

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And now we come to my Desert Island Discs wine... that one wine you would bring with you for the duration.

Ascheri Barolo, this was the 2011. A wonderful expression of the Nebbiolo grape from Piedmont, this one showing how it can rival the pinot noirs of Burgundy.
    14% but silky smooth, delicate fruits on the first sip and a serious long finish.

Usually €35 - €40 iin O'Briens but in their Italian wine sale can be picked up for about €25.

1352590l.jpg

I met the winemaker Matteo Ashceri at an O'Briens wine fair a few years back, a bear of a man. The Pavarotti of wine!
    082035399-a57e0c40-45e1-4903-9486-4f4245dfcd51.jpg

Barolo is very hard to beat and that one is delicious but there are so many good ones and as with most things you get what you pay for.

We have a new wine movie added to the canon... Uncorked, a drama about the difficult path to becoming a master sommelier. Keep an eye out for it on Netflix.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncorked_(2020_film)

Really needs to be watched with a glass of vino and cheese!

• Advertisement

For fans of the Cune Rioja crianza it is 6 bottles for €50 in Tesco this holiday weekend.
    https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=288408319

Back to regular supermarket wines: Labrune et Fils Pinot Noir, vin de France (south of France).

A light juicy, easy drinking red, perfect for picnic \ cold cuts and pates \ cheese \ BBQ.

It's half price in Tesco at the moment for €9 although that price seems to be more appropriate than its original one.

41526_3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Had a couple of bottles last night. Beautiful stuff. Great on its own, great with rich food, great with BBQ food.

Opened this on Saturday night. Big, and bold flavour, but still smooth. Could have left it a few years, but have a few other bottles aging.

8503.jpg

Pretty tough wine quiz over at The Journal... I only managed 5/10!
    https://www.thejournal.ie/how-much-do-you-know-about-wine-5099795-May2020/

7/10
    A few were educated guesses tough.
    Could have maybe thought a bit more about the Chardonnay and import ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

8/10 not bad for a beer guy!

I signed up for an online tasting with WinesOfTheWorld.ie, was supposed to be Friday 15th but An Post didn't get the bottles to me on time from Cork to Dublin :(
    All is not lost as the recording is available on their Facebook site.

The deal is that they send out 6 bottles to you, all wrapped up in paper so it's a blind tasting. You have 2 of each bottle, a set for the night and then a spare of each bottle to enjoy later.

When I eventually got around to it with the OH, it was great craic, informative also about how to taste wine, but didn't get too technical.

The wines weren't amazing, but were more in that 'crowd pleaser' category of ideal wines for a party (or wedding), typical for their variety, enjoyable, easy drinking, not complex. The wines were priced about €12 - €13 euros.

This is the link to the tasting, if you want to try it at home, see the spoiler tags below for what type of wines you need: a white, rose, and red.
    https://www.facebook.com/WinesIreland/videos/667066097191044/
    * Wine #1 Chilean Sauvignon Blanc (was Casa Silva €12.50)
    * Wine #2 Provence style Rose (was Mont Gras Early Harvest Rose €13)
    * Wine #3 Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon (was Casa Silva €12.50)

They will be running another tasting Friday 29th May I've signed up, here is the link if ye are interested cost is €73 for the 6 bottles:
    https://www.winesoftheworld.ie/surprise-case-for-a-virtual-wine-tasting.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Typically, I drink wine once per year.

Before the pandemic, I had built up approx 15 bottles, usually offers in Lidl.

For no particular reason, I started to drink them each week since mid-March.

2014 St. Emilion Grand Cru, Moulin de Lonchat, x3, I think 5 euro in Lidl?
    2015 Burgundy-Beaujolais, Fleurie, Domaine de la Presle x2
    2016 St. Emilion Grand Cru x2

Now, I have three left, and my question is, are these any good? Should I keep them for a special occasion? I don't think so?

2006 Pessac-Leognan, Ch. Bois-Martin - this seems to be the best?
    2008 St. Emilion Grand Cru (Lidl)
    2011 Lussac St. Emilion (Lidl)

Thanks.

Geuze wrote: »
    2006 Pessac-Leognan, Ch. Bois-Martin - this seems to be the best?
    2008 St. Emilion Grand Cru (Lidl)
    2011 Lussac St. Emilion (Lidl)

Thanks.
    The 2006 was probably the best of them at one point, but it's likely well past it best now. Should have probably drank it around 6 years ago.

The other two are similar cheap Bordeaux style reds. Nothing special. Grand wine for a fiver in the supermarket for immediate drinking. But unlikely to do be suitable for a decade in the cellar. The 2008 is probably on the way out too. 2011 is probably the least past it of those three.

Of the lot, I'd expect the 2014 St. Emilion Grand Cru to be the best drinking.
    But who knows, a lot of variables involved.

• Advertisement

O'Briens have Marqués de la Concordia Reserva for €12.95, down from €18.95.

A classic silky smooth Rioja. Great with lamb, pork or ham.

wine-marques-de-la-concordia-reserva-14271162417230_x500.png?v=1582657206

A white wine tasting this time around with Wines of the World.
    I don't drink a lot of white wine, it's about 80% red versus 20% white and rose (mostly with fish and seafood) - so not the target audience here.

But this was a senasational Sauvignon Blanc, bursting with flavour. And to add to the buzz factor it's a collaboration from Sex in the City actress Sarah Jessica Parker and a Marlborough NZ vineyard.

9421905673006_3.JPG

RRP is €18 and it's available also in Supervalu.

The other wines tasted were:
    * White Sands Chenin Blanc €13 - a very nice clean white with citrus and tropical flavours. Went perfectly the next day with hake in white sauce.
    * Hugo Prosecco Spritz €10 - a real crowd pleaser party drink. It's a spritzer of prosecco, elderflower and mint. 5.5%. Would make an ideal welcome drink.

A lovely pinot noir from an unusual area - Mendoza Argentina, the Trapiche Pinot Noir Reserve.
    Not a typical pinot noir, a hint of toasted flavours \ smokiness to it rather juicy fruitness. Think it would pair well with pan fried lamb or BBQ.

Not entirely sure where I got this, might have been Dunnes or Martins off Licence.
    Think it was priced about €12-€13, but has the quality of a more expensive wine.

360x510_p1463572115780_trapiche_e40f02fc-7346-4901-8b1c-43de767e41aa_200x.jpg?v=1583169350

Interesting short enough article from Jancis Robinson about lower & higher alcohol wines, in light of climate change:
    https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/highs-and-lows-alcohol?utm_source=JancisRobinson.com+News&utm_campaign=9e1d4f96f2-JR+Newsletter+-+Rest+of+world+11am&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e7ba70904b-9e1d4f96f2-66239761

Standout quote:
    I also note this change in the perception and quality of wines with a high alcohol level. They are much more balanced than in the past and much less hot on the finish. It seems clear to us that a few years ago, wines with a high alcohol level were produced most often from overripe grapes... Thus, the wines made from these grapes are certainly more alcoholic, but their pH is lower, they are better balanced, fresher and probably more "tender".

Interesting short enough article from Jancis Robinson about lower & higher alcohol wines, in light of climate change:
    https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/highs-and-lows-alcohol?utm_source=JancisRobinson.com+News&utm_campaign=9e1d4f96f2-JR+Newsletter+-+Rest+of+world+11am&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e7ba70904b-9e1d4f96f2-66239761

Standout quote:
    I also note this change in the perception and quality of wines with a high alcohol level. They are much more balanced than in the past and much less hot on the finish. It seems clear to us that a few years ago, wines with a high alcohol level were produced most often from overripe grapes... Thus, the wines made from these grapes are certainly more alcoholic, but their pH is lower, they are better balanced, fresher and probably more "tender".
    It's probably true that there are better high alcohol wines these days. But the link to global warming is a bit tenuous imo. If vineyards in France are ripen faster due to global warming, they behave like Italian vineyards, not something not seen on the planet til now.

Another fantastic virtual blind tasting of wines with Wines of the World tonight.

Each of the wines were so good in their own way I would like to check out the other reds from the same producers.
    • #1 The Fat B*****d Pinot Noir, from the South of France. An easy drinking light red, red fruits and vanilla. RRP €11.50
    • #2 La Linda Malbec, from Mendoza region of Argentina. I guessed Argentinian cab Sav rather than Malbec. Not usually a Malbec drinker but this really impressed me black fruits, elegant, velvet smooth. Hand picked grapes from 30 year old vines, high altitude site. 14% but well balanced and doesn't come across like a blockbuster. RRP €13.50 but tastes like a wine of twice that price.
    • #3 Tempus Two Silver Series Shiraz, from the Hunter Valley in Australia. Flavour of plums and spice. Lovely long finish on this, real quality. RRP €14.50.

product-la-linda.png

This week's Wine of the Week with O'Briens is another Rioja, this time the Monte Real Gran Reserva.
    Down from €33.95 to €16.95.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/monte-real-gran-reserva

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This week's Wine of the Week with O'Briens is another Rioja, this time the Monte Real Gran Reserva.
    Down from €33.95 to €16.95.
    https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/monte-real-gran-reserva

Its really really good.

Also on riojas. A couple I've tasted recently.

This one from OBriens. Think it was down to 13 quid or something. But go with the Monte Real at that price!

wine-federico-paternina-gran-reserva-rioja-14271162515534_x500.png?v=1582657259

Surprisingly, this Faustino in Tesco is great value for a tenner
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=300734888

This from Supervalue. Great value for 9 quid.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-italy-fico-grande-sangiovese-romagna-75-centilitre-/p-1436401000

And the Cotes du Rhone Villages in Aldi (whos wine selection has gone to sh1t recently) is great for 8 quid.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/c%C3%B4tes-du-rh%C3%B4ne-villages/p/010472261330300

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Sold out o'briens website by the look of it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭nice bit of green

Hi all,
    Have listened to all of Alan Brazil’s wine podcasts over the last 2 months, bar today’s one.
    I love him as a broadcaster and he is a great storyteller too. He speaks about wine with as much passion as when he speaks on sports.
    Anyway, has anyone tasted any of the following that he recommended?
    Crusher a Californian red
    Whispering Angel a French rosé - guy in Dunnes says this flies out when in stock.
    Cheers

Advertisement