Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

odyssey06 wrote: »
    In Supervalu I don't think so, that seems to be about the going price for a Rioja Reserva in off licences and major supermarkets - unless you see Faustino or Campo Viejo in a multibuy deal.

LIDL have these for under €10:
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/grocery-range-red-wines/rioja-doca-reserva-13-67/p23701
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/grocery-range-red-wines/tarragona-gran-reserva-13/p23705

This is a spanish red in a smoother style in ALDI but isn't technically a Rioja:
    https://www.aldi.ie/toro-loco-superior/p/040728020610200

Thank you. Will look for them tonight when I pop into Lidl on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,602 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I attended a tasting of the Chateau Mont Redon range of wines recently.
    The chateau sources its wines from the southern Rhone valley region of France, and their supplier here is Mackenway.

It started with their white then rose, basic Cote du Rhone red, then Lirac, Gigondas and finally Châteauneuf du Pape.

The Châteauneuf du Pape was one of the nicest wines I think I am ever likely to taste. Sensational. I'm terrible at tasting notes so I'll quote Wine Ireland:
    Majestic. What I really like about this wine is that it is not trying to be brute but it is seamlessly strong! Red in ruby of medium depth; extra depth to a multi layered palate, brilliant garlanded with white pepper, flowers and herbs. A delight. A force. A style.
    https://wineireland.blog/2018/07/20/chateau-mont-redon-extraordinary/

The basic Cotes du Rhone was v nice soft and silky.
    The Lirac was lovely, and while I was initially disapponted with the Gigondas it opened up into depths of flavour.
    Only the rose was a disappointment though February in Dublin is probably not the best time to appreciate a wine that calls out for sun and sea!

The Châteauneuf du Pape is €38 in O'Briens and the Lirac is €23.

08WFRA067-Ch-Mont-Redon-Chat-du-Pape.png

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

502904.gif
    €8 in Aldi. Delicious, fruity and still nicely dry; enough to be very robust. Loads of nose, not much of a robe though and it lacks in aftertaste. I really wasn't expecting it to be this good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Following the Aldi example, having a bottle of "O Grande", a red blend from Chile in a very unusual bottle (quite tacky). Very intense with oodles of rich berries, amazing for €7,49

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Currently enjoying a Dona Paula Los Cardos Cabernet Sauvignon. Nice and fruity on the nose and going down very well.

It's making me want to try their Malbec next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cracked open a 1996 Penfolds Bin 389 that I had been saving. Extremely dry and very intense. Perfect.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Currently enjoying a Dona Paula Los Cardos Cabernet Sauvignon. Nice and fruity on the nose and going down very well.
    It's making me want to try their Malbec next time.

You wont regret that. One of the best €10 supermarket ranges going.

You wont regret that. One of the best €10 supermarket ranges going.

Last nights bottle was a bottle I was given over christmas but not never got around to drinking. I was delighted to see the price in tesco after having the first glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭limnam

Dudara must be off the grape juice.

Not heard from her in months :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

This is a spanish red in a smoother style in ALDI but isn't technically a Rioja:
    https://www.aldi.ie/toro-loco-superior/p/040728020610200

Had a glass of this last night and found it a bit lighter than the Finca Labarca Reserva and not bad for the price.
    Thanks for the tip odyssey.

• Advertisement

In Aldi today, pleased to see they have some new wines in stock. Most interesting was a new (not the exquisite collection version) Ribera del Douro for 9.99, which will hopefully match up with a nice sirloin in a couple of hours.

Speaking of ALDI, I was about to recommend the Scarlatto Toscana italian red but looks like it was only a temporary product. With juicy acidity, went perfect with beef cannelloni.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/scarlatto-toscana-igt/p/011649269883400

odyssey06 wrote:
    Speaking of ALDI, I was about to recommend the Scarlatto Toscana italian red but looks like it was only a temporary product. With juicy acidity, went perfect with beef cannelloni.

Have been looking for it, but seems no longer available. It was a gem.

Buddy97mm wrote:
    In Aldi today, pleased to see they have some new wines in stock. Most interesting was a new (not the exquisite collection version) Ribera del Douro for 9.99, which will hopefully match up with a nice sirloin in a couple of hours.

Have to be honest, while this was decent I was a little disappointed overall, not as deep or complex as I hoped, expected slightly better. However, will try again (in the interests of research obviously)

Just opened bottle of Julia Florista Vinho Tinto. Smooth, fruity and 8 quid in O'Briens at the minute means it's very enjoyable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My overtly basic wine tastes have resulted in me finding a blended Portuguese white to be absolutely fantastic - Pranco from Supervalu. Blends off the harsher tastes I've had from many Portuguese whites when on holiday there before

• Registered Users Posts: 68,179 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pe Branco* with an accent on the e, forgot the old mobile site still eats that input

Spent two nights this week putting my wine into CellarTracker. Great app.
    I think I need to drink more whites. A couple that are getting a bit old.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,872 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lidl have a cracking Cote du Rhone Villages for €6.99 at the moment.
    Amazing for the price.

Cracked open an ‘07 Hunter Semillon.
    Amazing how much that grape changes over time.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Cracked open an ‘07 Hunter Semillon.
    Amazing how much that grape changes over time.

It seems to be the time for taking dusty bottles down off the shelves - you beat me by one year. I picked out the oldest bottle from my collection.

Beronia Rioja Reserva 2008 "Traveller's Collection" - as the name suggests this was a present I received from a family member coming back from Spain.
    A wonderful wine, powerful lingering finish, steel in a velvet glove.
    Was lovely yesterday, and today it seems to have taken even more depth.

5d1488dd-f370-4781-8251-1547621720e9.jpg

It seems to be the time for taking dusty bottles down off the shelves - you beat me by one year. I picked out the oldest bottle from my collection.
    Yeah. The CellarTracker app I mentioned above suggested I need to get drinking my whites. Mostly fresher varieties with shorter shelf lives. But that Semillon was my oldest white. Should be a few older reds waiting.

A bit of a curiosity I picked up at a wine tasting in the run up Christmas and only getting to now.

Sibling Rivalry Red 2017 from the Niagara region of Canada.
    A unusual blend of Merlot/ Cabernet Franc/ Gamay but it all comes together nicely, lovely depth of fruit flavour - would not have bought it if I hadn't tasted it as would be worried it'd be on the thin side.
    Had a glass with Sunday lunch and it wasn't too heavy, nice acidity\freshness to it and am looking forward to finishing the bottle off later with a cheeseboard or pate supper.

Available online for approx €17 a bottle:
    https://wineonline.ie/products/sibling-rivalry-merlot-cabernet-franc-gamay

sibling-rivalry-red-207544-bottle-1408312834.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Heading to Lidl for the first time in a month, any good value recommendations?

padraig.od wrote: »

Aussie Coonawarra cab sav.
    Chilean privada cab sav - llama on label.

Aussie Coonawarra cab sav.
    Any idea whereit comes from out of curiosity?
    What's the back label say

• Registered Users Posts: 16,872 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cote du Rhone Villages

I'm afraid that bottle has long since gone to bottle heaven...
    And the LIDL page only shows front label :(

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/wines/winemaker-s-selection-coonawarra-cabernet-sauvignon/p12045

Actually looking at the wine range on the site, I think steer clear of 'Cimarosa' label as that range is hit and miss. Conde Noble is very poor avoid that.
    Anything else is probably worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Picked up the Coonawarra, back of the label attached. Says it's from ... Coonawarra.

Also picked up the Cotes de Rhone Villages.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll report back on my purchases.

• Advertisement

Picked up the Coonawarra, back of the label attached. Says it's from ... Coonawarra.

Sometimes the label give you a clue as to where it comes from. Was just curious.

Advertisement