Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In vino veritas - what wine are you drinking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Great article, will have to get a bottle of the Bouches du Rhône & Cotes du Provence Rose.

The Bouches du Rhône is scandalous value at 7 quid.

Hedonism rose from O'Briens is one of my faves and the Aldi one is its equal. Award winner too.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/food/805864/aldi-wines-rose-worlds-most-prestigious-awards-supermarket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Have to pick up some of the Vinho Verde. Good price too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Karwig Wines in Cork are closing down after 40 years in the business. I’ve picked up some great wines in their closing sale.

Kilian Hunn Grauburgunder (Pinot Gris or Pinot Grigio). Lovely textured body here, in contrast to the more typical lighter expressions. Nice balance of acidity and fruit. A really good wine

khgreau2_1774_detail-750x750.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

dudara wrote:
    Karwig Wines in Cork are closing down after 40 years in the business.

Really sorry to hear that, worked with Joe long time (25 years or so) when he brought his wines through Dublin. Great character and great independent company, bringing great wines in to country before the larger importers took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,170 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Have to pick up some of the Vinho Verde. Good price too.

Didn’t have this in the Aldi that I went to so I picked up the Ferrandière French Pinot Gris 2018. Lovely wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dudara wrote: »
    Karwig Wines in Cork are closing down after 40 years in the business. I’ve picked up some great wines in their closing sale.

I didn't know this until I read your post.
    So sad.
    I worked there briefly and will always think fondly of Joe and Betty. Sad to see Joe's passion just close up.

Anyway, I managed to get down there yesterday and picked up some great bargains and got to catch up with Betty.

Still plenty of stock left.

I’ve ordered a few cases off Jurgen at this stage. He drops them off whenever he’s around. The Georg Müller Blaufrankisch and Frauburgunder are great wines.

This is on sale in O'Briens. 17 quid down from 34. Get on it

13WSP007-Monte-Real-Gran-Reserva.png

• Advertisement

We went for lunch at Amuse on Dawson St as they were offering premium wagyu beef for a limited time. Sweet mother, it was insane beef, the best I’ve ever eaten.

Dessert was based on passion fruit, nectarine, coconut and white choclate, and the waiter offered us a chance to taste a new sweet wine they had just bought in, Anselmi I Capitelli. I think it’s available for retail for €27.80 in A Taste of Italy.

It had more than enough fruit and depth to stand up to the dessert with lots of pear, honey and apricot with a really nice length. 100% Garganega made in the Veneto region. It seems to be made in the apassimento style with botrytis also featuring.

anselmi-i-capitelli-igt-half-bottles-37-5cl-e12.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

We had a Marques De Caceres Gran Reserva 2011 last sunday.
    Got it while on offer in Supervalu for €20..

Keep an eye out for it..

Was in Aldi this evening picking up some stuff for dinner, when I saw this Colombard blend on the shelf for €8. I love Colombard as I think it makes great, crisp whites, that are perfect food wines.

This Vue sur Mer Cotes de Thau is a blend of local Terret Bourret, Piquepoul and Colombard. I must say that I'm really impressed by it for €8. It's got a decent amount of body and length, with lots of citrus and apples.

[IMG]https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk//Vue-Sur-Mer-Côtes--de-Thau-A.jpg?o=XK99$9y8krCF8DvzE7l7xDXHfSkj&V=1apn&w=1500&p=2&q=50[/IMG]

7 quid in Aldi. Its excellent

Exquisite-Leyda-Sauvignon-Blanc-A.jpg?o=lhl%24VxQ4GBj7c3vVUSGxmkZ9i8oj&V=eerQ

At this stage it might be quicker to list the wines from ALDI that one should avoid, they seem to have really raised their game this summer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

At this stage it might be quicker to list the wines from ALDI that one should avoid, they seem to have really raised their game this summer :)

To be honest, I can't think of many bottles from either Aldi or Lidl that I was unhappy about.

• Advertisement

They really have. Discovered the €9.99 Californian Pinot Noir which is absolutely sensational for that price.

Plow-&-Press-Californian-Pinot-Noir-A.jpg?o=oGo5JIEKy%40sn5jal%40pLbjLveqykj&V=RZv7

The Nal wrote: »
    They really have. Discovered the €9.99 Californian Pinot Noir which is absolutely sensational for that price.

I saw that in my local ALDI but seemed to have sold out now :(

I hope they get some more in. I picked up the Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon but haven't opened it yet.

I saw that in my local ALDI but seemed to have sold out now :(

Same, I rather stupidly only bought two despite there being a case there. Hadn't tasted it at that point though.

limnam wrote: »
    To be honest, I can't think of many bottles from either Aldi or Lidl that I was unhappy about.

There's a Salice Salentino I got in LIDL think it was €7.99, maybe it once-off but it was 'dead'.

There's a Salice Salentino I got in LIDL think it was €7.99, maybe it once-off but it was 'dead'.

Yeah there's definitely been the odd one, but very rare for the amount of bottles I've tried and the price point

• Advertisement

:D

The last 2 bottles I got from ALDI were fantastic. They were included in the Tom Doorley list that someone posted a few pages back.

I think the red was the Bouches du Rhône 2018 and the white was the The Wine Foundry Avesso Vinho Verde 2018, which was as nice a Vinho Verde as I've tried, and I've been to Portugal a good few times. Most of their wines tned to be standalone great wines, but at the price point they're fantastic.

The Iron Horse Barossa Valley Shiraz is great value. They also used to have a Paul Mas Chardonnay from the Languedoc-Roussilon which was great value for money, but I haven’t seen it in a while.

Lunaria Ruminat Primitivo - Biodynamic/organic

I believe I've posted wines from this co-op before.

Occasionally there's a bottle of wine that I spend drinking going _this_ is why i love wine so much and this is defintiley one of them.

Beautiful red fruits silky smooth with a long last finish

Currently 15.95 in O'Briens. They also have the montepulciano from this co-op that I highly recommend also

30333-Lunaria-Ruminat-Primitivo.png

Château Haut Garriga, Bordeaux Blanc 2013, 12%.

This is a 100% semillon white bordeaux. I think I got it as a present, google tells me at one point it was available in Wines Direct Arnotts for €12.95.

A fresh, dry white with a long finish, went very well with seafood in white sauce.

uQsjG5WCRmqB901CRS2sBg_pb_x600.png

Posting this snippet from Decanter magazine...

French Michelin-starred restaurant Maison Rostang has confirmed that thieves
    stole €400,000 worth of fine wine between 30 June and 1 July. Maison Rostang said that ‘irreplaceable’ vintages produced by Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, Petrus, Latour and Lafite were stolen via a hole that had been cut into the wall of the cellars under the streets of Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Sauternes, one of my fave sticky wines which I uncork in Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Having a bottle of Scarlatto Toscana from Aldi this evening. Exquisite, exceptional value at 9.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

castillo de embid 6.66 a bottle from supervalu very drinkable 6 bottles for 40 euro offer

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nice bit of green

Michel Lynch Merlot CS is a winner. 12.50 from Dunnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

Michel Lynch Merlot CS is a winner. 12.50 from Dunnes.

Lovely wine. Very easy on the head too I find! Usually even if I only have a glass of red I feel it a little bit in the morning. With Michel Lynch I can tear away :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Having a bottle of Scarlatto Toscana from Aldi this evening. Exquisite, exceptional value at 9.99

Agree, it's exceptional at that price (think it's actually 9.49). I haven't seen it in Aldi for several weeks. I hope it comes back.

Excellent value for €9 in Lidl

211125.png

Picked up the Marks and Spencer meal deal with dinner and a bottle of wine for €14.

Went for the Marques de Alarcon Tempranillo Syrah as the wine option, and it's lovely.
    Nice, easy drinking Rioja with fresh acidity - good with lamb, pork shoulder, duck etc

https://www.marksandspencer.com/palacio-del-marques-tempranillo-syrah-case-of-6/p/p21126965

MS-Marques-de-Alarcon-Tempranillo-Syrah-1-e1459858627529-1138x493.jpg

I attended wine tasting event for my local independent off licence.

Putting down some notes on the tasting for my own benefit, and also if someone is looking for a special bottle there are some tips and ones to avoid.

All of these were lovely wines, some a bit over priced perhaps I've tried to put in order of preference.

French Red:
    Domaine de la Boire Blanche Minervois €19
    Chateau Tour Canon Lalande de Pomerol €20
    Mas Montel Petite Syrah €14
    Les Brulieres de Beychevelle Haut-Medoc €35
    Gaelius St Emilion Grand Cru €35
    Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages €17

Italian Red:
    Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino €45
    Pio Cesare Barolo €70
    Calimoro Montepulciano d'Abruzzo €12
    Madregale Terre de Chieti €12
    Ornellaia Le Volte Toscana Rosso €30
    Appassimento Negroamaro Primitivo €16

Spanish Red:
    Conde Valdemar Gran Reserva €22

American Reds:
    Louis Martini Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon €35 - blockbuster at 15.5%, had to retreat to get some cheese for that one but tons of flavour.
    Mac Murray Central Coast Pinot Noir €21
    Menage a Trois Zinfandel €18

Whites:
    NZ Babich Black Label Sauvignon Blanc €23 - possible the nicest Sav Blanc I've tried, more in the Sancerre style
    Bodegas Altos de Torona Albarino €20 - think this would be great with seafood
    Bodegas Altos de Torona Godello €20 - nice fresh minerality

Randomers:
    Henry of Pelham Sibling Rivalry Red €17 - blend of Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon from Ontario, Canada. Lovely.
    Garzon Tannat Reserve 2017 €20 - my favourite on the night, all the way from Uruguay.
    Justino 5yo rich reserve Madeira €28 - OH favourite on the night
    Kanonkop Pinotage South Africa €33 - very nice pinotage, getting away from the overly tobacco style
    Aszu 5 Puttonyos Tokaji Disznoko €43 - somehow tart and yet concentrated sweetness. Wasn't to my liking but OH loved it.
    Syria, Bargylus White €33 - a blend of Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc which divided opinion. I liked it a lot but OH thought it was an epic fail

Disappointing:
    Brazil, Alisios Tempranillo\Touriga €13 - nothing special
    China, Chateau Changyu Moser Blanc de Noir €20 - actually a white wine with cabernet sauvignon in the mix. Slightly sweet, more like grape juice than wine, very delicate flavour.
    China, Chateau Changyu Moser Cabernet Sauvignon €20 - poor, would prefer any mass market Aussie red at less than half the price
    Louis Roderer Brut Champagne €60 - thought this was a bit aggressive and acidic
    Lebanon, Chateau Marsyas Red €38 - thought this was a bit too herbaceous

Benazzoli Valpolicella Ripasso 2015

I don't say "It's devine" often, but when I do....

So many layers to this wine and so much clarity on the fruit. Beautifully balanced.

Bit on the pricer side at 24e but worth every penny. Can be picked up in Curious wines.

Benazzoli-Valpolicella-Ripasso.jpg

The Nal wrote: »
    Excellent value for €9 in Lidl

I expect you'll be happy to hear that it's the wine of the week next week in LIDL.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/leaflet/lidl-ie-leaflet-wk48-nov-dec-2019-mon-25th-sun-1st/view/flyer/page/38

Reduced to €6 from Thursday 28th to Wednesday 4th.

I expect you'll be happy to hear that it's the wine of the week next week in LIDL.
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/leaflet/lidl-ie-leaflet-wk48-nov-dec-2019-mon-25th-sun-1st/view/flyer/page/38

OOOHHH! Nice one cheers. Will be there for a couple of cases.

Picked this up for curiosity value €8 in nearby Polo stores shop (along with some great pork neck).

Chateau Loghiny Cabernet Sauvignon from southern Moldova, bottled in Czech Republic.

Lovely bouquet, nice initial fruit flavour but slightly off after taste I can't quite put my finger on.

Described as dry wine as there is also a medium dry Pinot Noir, a medium sweet Merlot and a sweet Driada in the range - for the adventurous.

The little contraption attached to the top of the bottle is actually a mini plastic corkscrew, for emegencies :)

cabernet_750ml.png?crc=4156422198

I received a gift of a bottle of Faustino I Rioja Gran Reserva (2009) from a relative returning from Spain hols.

I say 'perfect present' because it something I enjoyed but would not have bought for myself given the price and the quality of cheaper Riojas over here.

Really lovely rioja with depth of flavour and lasting finish.

8410441512956_3.JPG

• Advertisement

Just back from Lidl. 21 bottles for 126 quid!

Opened a special bottle to go with the Christmas Eve dinner of Beef Rib Roast on the Bone. And it's a fantastic match.
    Domaine De La Borie Blanche Minervois La Liviniere, a powerful red from a named appellation in the Languedoc-Roussillon in the south of France.
    14.5% but tastes elegant\smooth rather than a blockbuster.

Available for €18.99 from independent off licences. Actually the wine was a winner in the 'NOFFLA' awards for independent off licences - category 'Old World Red Under €20'.
    This is the wine award I would pay the most attention to. If a wine wins a gold star in these awards you know you've got a nice bottle on your hands. Out of all the hundreds of wines stocked, only about two dozen pick up awards, there's no prizes just for turning up and paying the entry fee!

Domaine-De-La-Borie-Blanche-Minervois-La-Liveinere.jpg

And for Christmas Day itself, I don't pick the wines but my hosts don't let me down with a silky smooth bottle of Ribera del Duero from Pago de los Capellanes Crianza. Lovely stuff. I can't describe it better than the tasting notes from Mitchell and Son...

On the palate, the wine has a smooth texture but fills the palate with balanced flavours, including fine tannins, which help extend the life of the wine. The finish and aftertaste are both long and elegant.

https://mitchellandson.com/products/pago-de-los-capellanes-crianza

WESL002_Pago_de_los_Capellanes_Crianza_521a21af-d23c-4004-bf82-d64e19138f1a_2000x.jpg?v=1573337685

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Having this tonight as it’s CHRISTMAS!! Segura Viudas Cava Brut Reserva Heredad

Picked it up in Tesco’s for €14.00 a couple of weeks ago

https://molloys.ie/segura-viudas-cava-brut-reserva-heredad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

As a tee-totaller, never mind wine buff, I'm completely in the dark about wine's, but I have a question or two about them.
    One:- On some bottles I have come across that were "buried" ( for want of a better word) in a cabinet at home. They have different dates on the labels, from 2000 onward's. I think that these dates refer to the harvest year, and not the bottling dates?
    Two: How long can a wine ( any wine) be kept in a bottle, and still be safe to drink??
    Three: Is the bottling date anywhere on the label?
    I remember a few years ago drinking with some French friends, and one of them produced a few bottles of a very old wine. They were ecstatic about, sniffing it and swilling it about in heir mouth's before drinking it, and "OOOOING and AHHHHING about it. I tried a mouth full, but for the life of me...could not see what all the excitement was about. None the less, I would not like to offer my bottles to anyone, just in case they have a "Use By Date" some where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The year is the harvest vintage. Bottling date isn't particularly important.

Wine can last decades and decades but mass-market product from 2000 is probably undrinkable at this stage. If they were dearer there is a chance some will be drinkable/decent but you'll need to see what they are.

• Advertisement

Good guide here... "You Found an Unopened Bottle of Wine in Your Closet — Now What?"
    https://www.newair.com/blogs/learn/how-long-does-wine-last-unopened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

Today we started with Tesco Finest Grand Cru vintage champagne followed by 2003 Chateau Belgrave, now having '96 Chateau Beau Site.
    Had an '82 Chateau Caronne Ste Gemme which is well past its best...
    All good considering...

I was a bit nervous about this red wine, as it was primarily purchased due to its low alcohol content (11.5% - 12%) and reserved for this time of year when late lunches are the thing.

Went down a treat with the turkey and ham, light and refreshing (rather than weak and thin) at a time of day when a heavy red wine would necessitate a nap :)

B&G (Barton & Guestier) Pinot Noir - grapes sourced from Corsica.
    Currently retailing at €9 in Tesco.

B_G_pinot_600x.png?v=1557221793

Next up, a white wine - rare for me. 100% Chardonnay but it is dry, fresh and lively rather than heavy, buttery or oaky. Went perfect with seafood.
    Think it could also handle chicken in a white or mushroom sauce.

Macon Lugny, les Genevrieres from Burgundy negociant Louis Latour.
    Priced at €18.99 from independent off licence.

mikep wrote: »
    Today we started with Tesco Finest Grand Cru vintage champagne followed by 2003 Chateau Belgrave, now having '96 Chateau Beau Site.
    Had an '82 Chateau Caronne Ste Gemme which is well past its best...
    All good considering...

'03, '96, '82 .... sounds like you found the key to a cupboard that had been locked for a few years :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement