Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Now that spring is just around the corner (HA-HA-HA-HA...) besides Galibier, where do people recommend for short sleeved jerseys, around €50 max (would go to €100 if there's it much better quality)? I find the style of Galibier jerseys very plain.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Now that spring is just around the corner (HA-HA-HA-HA...) besides Galibier, where do people recommend for short sleeved jerseys, around €50 max (would go to €100 if there's it much better quality)? I find the style of Galibier jerseys very plain.
    What kind of thing are you looking for as it is kind of a "how long is a piece of string question"?
    In the last year or so, I've gotten stuff from both CRC and bike24.de (as well as group buys from boards and the cycling club)
    I've found that the comfortable nice fitting jerseys start around the €50 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Hi,

Bought from
    Sigr and sweet-protection in 2020
    Got 3 on sale for 30 or so

Went out for a short cycle a few days back.
    Thought I'd be fine in just a cycling jersey and bib shorts because 'well you'll heat up as you get into it' - that didn't happen.
    I came home 45 minutes later not being able to feel my fingers or my toes.
    My hands were bright red and my arms were white.

Looks like I need some cold weather cycling kit..
    What should I focus on getting first?
    Thermal? Jacket? Gloves? Arm + Leg Warmers?

Have you any thermals from other sports or hiking?
    If you have bib shorts and a jersey try just firing a thermal top or 2 under the jersey and a pair of tights over the bib shorts.

I've a collection as I kayak, run and hike.
    Find that a good quality thermal is useful for all sports.

If you have none I'd definitely recommend investing in proper thermal top or 2.

And yeah overshoes essential

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hi,

Vergesport have a line of gear now with vibrant colours & designs. Think the lne is Squadra.

• Advertisement

What kind of thing are you looking for as it is kind of a "how long is a piece of string question"?
    In the last year or so, I've gotten stuff from both CRC and bike24.de (as well as group buys from boards and the cycling club)
    I've found that the comfortable nice fitting jerseys start around the €50 mark.

Because of 'how long is a piece of string' I'm asking. There's thousands of websites selling cycling kit so looking for some recommendations.
    What kind of things am I looking for? Well made, good quality, nive/stylish (I know that's subjective). Could say a 3 season short sleeve jersey, use would be relaxed cycling/groupnrides/non-competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Because of 'how long is a piece of string' I'm asking. There's thousands of websites selling cycling kit so looking for some recommendations.
    What kind of things am I looking for? Well made, good quality, nive/stylish (I know that's subjective). Could say a 3 season short sleeve jersey, use would be relaxed cycling/groupnrides/non-competitive.

Galibier (I know I'm repeating myself here!!) as they're based in this country and their gear is made for our ever changeable weather. Unlike a lot of continental brands that are a tiny fit, the Galibier clothing does what it says on the tin so to speak, ie, if you're a large, then order a large. They have short sleeve jerseys that will do you for most of the year as they're water repellant and wind proof like this one https://galibier.cc/product/sentinel-2/. Have a look at their website. Their prices are competitive and the quality of their clothing is great (some of my Galiber clothing is 7 years old and still in great nick!). Their returns policy is brilliant too.

D13exile wrote: »
    Galibier (I know I'm repeating myself here!!) as they're based in this country and their gear is made for our ever changeable weather. Unlike a lot of continental brands that are a tiny fit, the Galibier clothing does what it says on the tin so to speak, ie, if you're a large, then order a large. They have short sleeve jerseys that will do you for most of the year as they're water repellant and wind proof like this one https://galibier.cc/product/sentinel-2/. Have a look at their website. Their prices are competitive and the quality of their clothing is great (some of my Galiber clothing is 7 years old and still in great nick!). Their returns policy is brilliant too.

Cheers. I had mentioned that I found their short sleeve jerseys fairly plain but I'm coming around slightly to them and as you said they're good quailty & value.
    I hadn't even looked at the one you mentioned but might go for that & then a lighter summer one if I think I need it. I only have 1 short sleeve jersey, from PlanetX; nothing wrong with it but I'd like to have more than one.

For the record I have Galibier socks, long sleeve base layer, gilet & Foul weather jacket- very happy with them all.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd second the Galibier stuff.
    I also mentioned bike24.de - they've hundreds there with prices starting from sub-€25 (but it's a tenner for P&P) to Ireland...
    https://www.bike24.de/fahrrad-trikots.html?menu=1000%2C18%2C61&sort=price_asc&__qf_form-filter=&pgc%5B2%5D%5B19%5D=1&pgc%5B1%5D%5B1%5D=1&pgc%5B648%5D%5B1024%5D=1&pgc%5B649%5D%5B1013%5D=1&scale_type=9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Does anyone know when Aldi/Lidl get their cycling gear in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Does anyone know when Aldi/Lidl get their cycling gear in?

If you look through this thread >>> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104751935 you'll see by the dates of the posts when the specials happened in the various years.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bassface93

Hey guys,

I have a hybrid bike that I would like to start cycling for fitness.

With the weather being quite cold/wet at the minute I was looking for some recommendations as to what to wear when I go out so as to keep my extremities protected but also not end up being too warm once I get going on the cycle.

I'm willing to buy whatever is necessary, I'm a complete beginner when it comes to this stuff so all recommendations are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There is a big thread on here but to save you reading it, take a look at Galibier.cc

If you are new to cycling - make sure you have a good breathable base layer, and keep hands and feet warm. The rest is more obvious - bib shorts or tights (i.e. the ones that go over your shoulders), normal cycling jersey and a jacket

There is a big thread on here but to save you reading it, take a look at Galibier.cc

If you are new to cycling - make sure you have a good breathable base layer, and keep hands and feet warm. The rest is more obvious - bib shorts or tights (i.e. the ones that go over your shoulders), normal cycling jersey and a jacket

long sleeve base layer, jersey, jacket, gilet, bib shorts. For cold- foot covers, gloves, skull cap or snood.

Long sleeve base layer- https://galibier.cc/product/barrierbase/

water, windproof jacket- https://galibier.cc/product/mistral-foul-iv-weather-jacket/

Bib shorts- no sure if Galiber are the main recommended one here but if they are- https://galibier.cc/shorts-tights-suits/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Who needs a Galibier sales and marketing team when you have Boards :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I see there are good recommendations posted already. However, I find my hands are always the most difficult to keep warm. There are bike specific and quite expensive gloves available, but can still be hit and miss.

There are ski gloves being sold in Aldi this week for about €7, which perform better than any of the bike specific gloves costing about ten times that. I have had them for a few years and find them really good. Although a bit on the bulky side they allow me to cycle on the coldest days.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭McBluffin

Can someone to recommend the best overshoes money can buy for keeping my feet warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

McBluffin wrote: »
    Can someone to recommend the best overshoes money can buy for keeping my feet warm.

Spatz maybe???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

If you want a great solution, a pair of winter boots would be best.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Threads merged. Please try a search

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I use Gaerne SPD boots (which are excellent) or Specialized Defroster boots if using Keo Pedals. Both are excellent. I use overshoes just to keep them clean really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Who needs a Galibier sales and marketing team when you have Boards :pac:

In fairness, it just goes to show how a quality product and good pricing is its own marketing.

Thanks, I knew about Castelli and Rapha but didn't realise there were so many. I see the Mavic one is on Probikeshop for 171€.

Aside from cut, would there be much difference in performance between the different brands? I'm thinking not if it is the same material. Otherwise I'll just wait and try find a sale on the Gore version
    I'm about to click order on this - Mavic Lombarde SL, but just wondering if anyone has one? I can't find a review online anywhere (not that I trust a lot of online reviews).

I'd go for the Gore Shakedry, Castelli Idro or Rapha equivalent due to being more familiar with these brands for clothing, the only reason why I'm going for the Mavic is it is coming in at least 50€ cheaper than the other options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I'm about to click order on this - Mavic Lombarde SL, but just wondering if anyone has one? I can't find a review online anywhere (not that I trust a lot of online reviews).

I'd go for the Gore Shakedry, Castelli Idro or Rapha equivalent due to being more familiar with these brands for clothing, the only reason why I'm going for the Mavic is it is coming in at least 50€ cheaper than the other options
    Not sure you’d have a whole lot of comeback with the Mavic brand being in trouble.
    I was given a very generous gift of one of their high end jackets a few years ago and it was excellent-great fit, breathable but certainly not as waterproof as it claimed.
    I bought a Gore Shakedry last Christmas 12 months and it is the best piece of cycle clothing I own. Certainly with Rapha you are paying a premium for the brand.

ckeego wrote: »
    Not sure you’d have a whole lot of comeback with the Mavic brand being in trouble.
    I was given a very generous gift of one of their high end jackets a few years ago and it was excellent-great fit, breathable but certainly not as waterproof as it claimed.
    I bought a Gore Shakedry last Christmas 12 months and it is the best piece of cycle clothing I own. Certainly with Rapha you are paying a premium for the brand.
    Didn't think of that, although something I'd be more worried about if I was buying a pair of wheels and not a jacket (even if it is an expensive one).

I have the Mavic one ordered but I found the Gore C5 for 199€ on Alltricks so depending on fit when the Mavic arrives, I might send it back. The Gore has the fluo yellow trim and a small pocket, both of which are an advantage for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Didn't think of that, although something I'd be more worried about if I was buying a pair of wheels and not a jacket (even if it is an expensive one).

I have the Mavic one ordered but I found the Gore C5 for 199€ on Alltricks so depending on fit when the Mavic arrives, I might send it back. The Gore has the fluo yellow trim and a small pocket, both of which are an advantage for me

€199 is good value for that jacket. My one is the older model 1985 ONE Shakedry and it is as good as the day I got it...You might be a bit disappointed as I was when I saw how little (98g) I got for my money, and it does on first impression almost seem “Emperors clothes” like in its appearance but it is one hell of a jacket.

You find that with those proprietary materials from Gore, the minute someone else uses it in their product, the price goes sky high (see Rapha and their use of both Infinium and Shakedry) Castelli less so, but they now use Infinium in the Perfetto, the replacement for the Gabba..

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

I have the spatz but the best thing i've bought is feet warmers from amazon. pop a set (If going out at 6am) and never have an issue. I've been out in -3 and they were perfect.

Spatz in anything 6 degrees + on there own are perfect for keeping feet warm

Anyone bought anything online from decathlon? Ordered on the 24th and it still hasn't arrived or gotten a tracking number. Annoying

Have a few bits coming, ordered the 30th
    Got an email yesterday to say it's gone to An Post
    No tracking number yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Anyone bought anything online from decathlon? Ordered on the 24th and it still hasn't arrived or gotten a tracking number. Annoying

I've had 3 or 4 orders from Decathlon since the summer. They are running slower than usual, but all the stuff arrived.

In fairness, it says at checkout to expect delays

Advertisement