Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Any recommendations for overshoes? Just back from a spin and the pair I got from decathlon are already starting to rip!

It was also an eternal struggle to get them zipped up to my chonky calves :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭cletus

Any recommendations for overshoes? Just back from a spin and the pair I got from decathlon are already starting to rip!

It was also an eternal struggle to get them zipped up to my chonky calves :(

Galibier Artic II overshoes. Check sizing carefully before you buy.

I find the zip a little tight to get started, but I think that's more to do with my shoes than the overshoes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

cletus wrote: »
    Galibier Artic II overshoes. Check sizing carefully before you buy.

I find the zip a little tight to get started, but I think that's more to do with my shoes than the overshoes

Thanks I will keep an eye out for them, my size (L) is sold out!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭marcofan

Hi, just wondering does anyone have any recommendations for a brand / website that does regular fit long sleeve cycling jerseys?

I bought a bicycle line fiandre in M and while it fits its race fit and it's a bit tight for me tbh. Something a bit heavier too would be good as any colder than the 1st of Jan and i'd have been freezing. Cheers!

this may do the job for you fleece lining so will keep the nip out but not as heavy as a jacket, full disclosure I work for Verge so have a vested interest!!!

any questions let me know

http://shopirl.vergesport.com/category/jerseys/squadra-mens-jersey-azzura

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

marcofan wrote: »
    this may do the job for you fleece lining so will keep the nip out but not as heavy as a jacket, full disclosure I work for Verge so have a vested interest!!!

any questions let me know

http://shopirl.vergesport.com/category/jerseys/squadra-mens-jersey-azzura
    "Shipping time Shipping 26th Nov"
    That's a long wait ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭marcofan

thanks for pointing that out, its updated now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Thanks I will keep an eye out for them, my size (L) is sold out!

Looked up their website just now and all sizes are showing to be in stock. An alternative is the Barrier 3 but it's more designed for Mountain Biking.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I'm not looking to buy at the minute but curious what people are wearing on a turbo trainer in a shed / garage.

I have mine out in my unheated shed and I find I am overheating with a top on (even when its -2 haha) I tend to end up in my cycling shorts with no top but I can feel the cold getting into my kidneys which isn't great. I guess wearing my bib shorts will help with this but what are other people doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I'm not looking to buy at the minute but curious what people are wearing on a turbo trainer in a shed / garage.

I have mine out in my unheated shed and I find I am overheating with a top on (even when its -2 haha) I tend to end up in my cycling shorts with no top but I can feel the cold getting into my kidneys which isn't great. I guess wearing my bib shorts will help with this but what are other people doing?

A summer baselayer?
    Have you a fan?

I'd advise having a dry warm layer ready to pop on the minute a session is completed to avoid getting sick. I did simialr for 2 years while hammering the trainer in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'm out in the shed.
    Same. Even minus 1 or 2 I feel the heat.

Shorts and a summer base layer or some sort technical running top. Basically the lightest tops I own.
    Been down to just shorts a couple times. They are mainly bibs though.

Hoodie for the first 5 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

How worthwhile are the expensive rain jackets like Castelli Idro or Gore Shakedry C5/C7? At the moment I have a Rapha Classic Rain Jacket and a Galibier Tourmalet II (which is my go-to rain jacket but needs replacing at this stage). Are there any cheaper equivalents?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Cheers I'll pick up a summer base layer soon enough so

I've no fan yet but I'll have to invest in one as the weather gets better

Good point I'll make sure I have something warm to put on when I'm done

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭McBluffin

Does anyone know where in Ireland I could get a pair of Lake CX241 wide fit cycling shoes. I don't want to buy from Sigma as I am afraid of how long it will take with the Brexit delays.
    I have a very wide foot with bunions, so would of like to try them on if possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How worthwhile are the expensive rain jackets like Castelli Idro or Gore Shakedry C5/C7? At the moment I have a Rapha Classic Rain Jacket and a Galibier Tourmalet II (which is my go-to rain jacket but needs replacing at this stage). Are there any cheaper equivalents?

Shakedry jackets are the best guarantee to staying dry. They can be rolled up to fit into a pocket quite easily too.

Now I've only used mine twice but have brought it several times just in case.

It's a superthing material so the price probably reflects that too.

7mesh, haglhoffs, castelli , craft, Mavic, Rapha and a handful of boutique golf brands have made jackets out of the stuff and put a mark up on them despite not making them any much better than the gore stuff at all. The idro cut is completely unforgiving too.

Under armour did a running version that you could get for a little over 100 at one point (noone bought it) but was as good as any of them.

In short, it's a brilliant jacket that is well worth having.

Columbia ex dry is the next best (possibly actually better) for waterproofing but is aimed more at hiking/trail running so isn't as packable. I've worn it in the worst weather though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks, I knew about Castelli and Rapha but didn't realise there were so many. I see the Mavic one is on Probikeshop for 171€.

Aside from cut, would there be much difference in performance between the different brands? I'm thinking not if it is the same material. Otherwise I'll just wait and try find a sale on the Gore version

Only difference should be in how good they are at stitching it and covering the seems. As I said, it's super light and feels very flimsy. It's not recommended with rucksacks as it can wear quicker and I've a few jackets that i know could take relatively minor spills with no issue, but not so sure about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

Galibier is great stuff. Arrived in 2 days, free neck Joel thrown in. Got gloves and eversible gilet. Service a d quality is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm out in the shed.
    Same. Even minus 1 or 2 I feel the heat.

Shorts and a summer base layer or some sort technical running top. Basically the lightest tops I own.
    Been down to just shorts a couple times. They are mainly bibs though.

Hoodie for the first 5 mins.
    I've my two air movers going even with the shed door open and minus temps - admittedly the first one on that's out of reach on 2 rather than 3 (I can reach the second one to adjust).

I picked up the Spin 11 mesh vest in the last Team Ireland order - it's working grand, but bar the zip (and thus the ability to open it too), I'm not sure it does much a summer base layer wouldn't. It definitely makes the airmovers less harsh on the skin while giving the cooling though. In hotter weather, having a pocket for the phone will be handy when I'm not layering up heading out.

Anyway, I go hoody, full zip jersey, mesh jersey. Take off hoody when begin to warm up, then the air mover, then open the top jersey, and then second airmover is my normal plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

Has anybody got a recommendation for wide fitting SPD compatible shoes that don't cost huge money (say €100 max give or take)? I had a pair of Shimano M088 shoes for a few years which were, and replaced them eventually with M089s that were ever so slightly narrower fitting leading to numb feet after more that around 2-1/2 hours on the bike - especially with thicker sock in winter. Even at that, I had to go up a size, which leads to needless toe overlap.

Not looking for anything extravagant as I say - most of my cycling is on the road with the odd trail thrown in. I just like to be able to walk with some semblance of normality off the bike :-)

Looking into buying some decent base layers, mainly long johns or the sort for cycling. Does anyone have some suggestions? The gear I have now is too short, I'm 6'6 and would have a 36/38 inch waist with a 34/36 inch leg length so finding clothes which can fit at times can be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Looking into buying some decent base layers, mainly long johns or the sort for cycling. Does anyone have some suggestions? The gear I have now is too short, I'm 6'6 and would have a 36/38 inch waist with a 34/36 inch leg length so finding clothes which can fit at times can be difficult.

Underarmour cold gear is great in winter. Heat gear is lighter for when it's not as cold and also decent

keane2097 wrote: »
    Underarmour cold gear is great in winter. Heat gear is lighter for when it's not as cold and also decent

Under armour also sizes quite well for the taller fella.

I like thermals from
    Craft
    HH
    Nike
    Portwest

In that order.
    I'd put UA between HH and Nike.
    Craft really do great stuff, not cheap though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭dahat

keane2097 wrote: »

+1 for the UA cold gear, fantastic kit.

Cheers lads, hadn't even considered them. Had been suggested Decathalon and Cyclesuperstore and the ilk

Cheers lads, hadn't even considered them. Had been suggested Decathalon and Cyclesuperstore and the ilk

The decathlon stuff is good.
    If you can get the fit.

Ive decathlon running undershorts.
    Thermal and compression.

Rate them very highly.

Have had decathlon thermal tops.
    Found them ok. But didn't last as well as say craft, hh, ua.

I bought a pair of padded shorts and they just don't sit comfortably on my crotch, always have to keep re-arranging myself and its never comfortable.

I bought a pair of padded shorts and they just don't sit comfortably on my crotch, always have to keep re-arranging myself and its never comfortable.

Galibier website
    Mentioned over and over on this thread
    Get a pair of bib shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Apart from my cycling shoes and two pairs of bib shorts (castelli and Assos), all of my cycling gear is from Galibier. I've had some of it 7 years now (jacket, jerseys, gloves) and its still in great nick. Sometimes they even throw in a freebie with your order like cycling socks, neck warmer etc. Brilliant company to deal with and fast shipping. Can't recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

Went out for a short cycle a few days back.
    Thought I'd be fine in just a cycling jersey and bib shorts because 'well you'll heat up as you get into it' - that didn't happen.
    I came home 45 minutes later not being able to feel my fingers or my toes.
    My hands were bright red and my arms were white.

Looks like I need some cold weather cycling kit..
    What should I focus on getting first?
    Thermal? Jacket? Gloves? Arm + Leg Warmers?

• Advertisement

Base layer and some sort of long sleeve jacket/top preferably one that offers wind protection on the front. Shoe covers and gloves. You might get away with leg warmers if you don't want bib longs.

Advertisement