Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

.red. wrote: »
    I bought a pair of tights to wear with my bib shorts for the colder days.
    Would ye recommend them over or under the shorts?
    I've tried them on both ways and can't decide which is best. I'm leaning towards over as I'd be in direct contact with the pad. Don't want to head out on the bike wishing I'd done it the other way round.

I have a cheap and cheerful Aldi/Lidl pair and wear them over my short. For exact reason you mentioned & I can take them off easily if I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

Over
    What kind you get.
    I've endura multi tights.
    (And a few other running ones)
    Find them too light

Cheers.
    Can't remember what brand, €20 in sports direct a few weeks ago.
    Haven't been on the bike in a while so yet to try them. Most roads in my 5k are covered in leaves so I've been out walking instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

Has anyone bought anything from huub the have
    3 for 2 offer on at the moment on there cycling clothes

Hi,
    Any recommendations for merino socks and over shoe covers please?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,
    Pa.

Theres a bit of a discussion on overshoes/oversocks here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058139274

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭cletus

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Theres a bit of a discussion on overshoes/oversocks here - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058139274

That was my thread, and I ended up buying the Galibier's. I haven't been out in them yet, but fit and build I'm very happy with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Hi,

Thanks,
    Pa.

Just ordered a set of the Merino socks from Victory Chimp, will report back on what they’re like.

I also got the Velotoze shoe covers that were crazy reduced on Wiggle down to like €4, I’ll give them a spin this weekend and let you know. They seem like they fit well though

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Just ordered a set of the Merino socks from Victory Chimp, will report back on what they’re like.

I also got the Velotoze shoe covers that were crazy reduced on Wiggle down to like €4, I’ll give them a spin this weekend and let you know. They seem like they fit well though

Are they the ones only available in small and XL? if you got XL, what is the sizing like? I have them in my basket , considering whether to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Are they the ones only available in small and XL? if you got XL, what is the sizing like? I have them in my basket , considering whether to bother.

Yep, they're the ones. I got them in the small which is up to size 40, which is what I wear anyway and they went on okay, really only did a test fit of them.

I'll let you know what they're like after I take them out on Saturday.

Not sure how super durable they would be since they are only latex, but for what I paid for them, I won't have high hopes. They do seem well made though.

Anyone use gaiters ? I'm not a fan of traditional overshoes for a few reasons so I've had a generic pair of gaiters for years which I've sewn new elastic on more times than I can remember but now find myself in possession of a gaiter singular having lost one over the week end :D

Any recommendations?

Was looking these https://www.deporvillage.net/vaude-bike-gaiter-short-black-overshoe?country=IE

Close to what I had but different material and I could do without velcro on something I want to last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Gaitors like those be no use to me.
    Don't cover the vents under my shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Gaitors like those be no use to me.
    Don't cover the vents under my shoe.

Vents and the gaps around SPD cleats (not sure if Road cleats have gaps) need filling with blutack around this time of the year. In the unlikely event that my feet overheat sometime around May, I can always pick it out and replace it in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Has anyone purchased the Galibier Senteneil Jersey?

Looking for a user review before I purchase, Im looking for something over a baselayer for early spring early Autumn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Looks like a Gabba/Perfetto/Orkaan/Parentini Vita etc but the light version of each.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Looks like a Gabba/Perfetto/Orkaan/Parentini Vita etc but the light version of each.

I'd agree & at €80 it's not badly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

dahat wrote: »
    I'd agree & at €80 it's not badly priced.

Any recommendations for something to wear over thermal bib tights? My legs are still freezing :(

Any recommendations for something to wear over thermal bib tights? My legs are still freezing :(

I’d apply wintergreen lotion to your legs then wear tights, should keep the legs warm. On days like today I apply it for muscular warmth though be careful it doesn’t hit your bits!
    Also increase your cadence on cold days to generate extra blood flow for warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could anyone recommend a pair of gloves for winter?

I bought a pair just before Xmas from Halfords and was out with kids on bikes yesterday for only maybe 45min and when I came back couldn't feel my fingertips!

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/cycling-gloves/halfords-essentials-fleece-gloves-282422.html

Don't want to spend a fortune but would I get a pair for £30 which would keep my hands warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Galibier Deep Winter gloves are in your price range and great for colder dry weather

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

I bought these a couple of days ago and I'm liking them! Your hands do get a bit damp from sweat as you heat up though. Hand them on today and worked well, given the weather!

https://www.360cycles.ie/altura-nightvision-windproof-glove-2020-black-yell.html#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

I think I said somewhere in this thread that we don't get enough cold weather in this country to really justify a Galibier Mistral Pro, well after this year's Festive 500 I take it back.....

Seven days out in it, one which had quite a long wait on the side of the road and I was never really uncomfortable, all with either just a good merino baselayer or a combination of a light s/s and light l/s baselayer underneath it.

Really a great bit of kit.

nilhg wrote: »
    I think I said somewhere in this thread that we don't get enough cold weather in this country to really justify a Galibier Mistral Pro, well after this year's Festive 500 I take it back.....

Seven days out in it, one which had quite a long wait on the side of the road and I was never really uncomfortable, all with either just a good merino baselayer or a combination of a light s/s and light l/s baselayer underneath it.

Has anyone figured out what's the difference between the Mistral Pro and non-pro version?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Has anyone figured out what's the difference between the Mistral Pro and non-pro version?

I only own the first generation of both but in short the Pro is slightly heavier, has a fleece lining and a second separate layer on the chest area, so two zips to close.

Pro is probably equivalent to the standard Mistral with an extra fleece roubaix l/s jersey underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭G1032

nilhg wrote: »

Hear hear
    A couple of weeks ago I was out in very cold wet weather and had my Gabba on. I never felt cold like it on the bike. I was shivering for the last 40 minutes home and breathing like you would if you just jumped into a cold sea. Got in home and into the shower with my gear on!! Coldish shower at first and gradually let it warm up.

I've worn my Mistral Pro every day I've been out since, with the exception of one mildish dry day, and I've stayed warm. I haven't come home in a lather of sweat either. It's just an amazing piece of kit. Highly recommended. A light baselayer is all I've needed with it. Also my hands and feet haven't gotten as cold this year as they normally might, presumably because my core is warmer with the Gabba.??

Along with what nilhg has said, the front of the pro is shorter, someone suggested that this is for racing as you would be on the drops more?
    Also, I would suggest the tail is longer too.

The main difference is the weight/insulation advantages of the pro - it's for colder weather.

Possibly wear a base layer leggings??

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

New-ish cyclist here, I haven't got cycling cleats/clip in shoes (yet...) so I usually cycle in old runners but my feet end up freezing on all my cycles... I've tried wearing ski socks and that hasn't really made a difference!

Would overshoes help? I thought they were just for stopping your feet from getting wet. I always wear loads of layers so my core is fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

ciara1052 wrote: »
    New-ish cyclist here, I haven't got cycling cleats/clip in shoes (yet...) so I usually cycle in old runners but my feet end up freezing on all my cycles... I've tried wearing ski socks and that hasn't really made a difference!

Would overshoes help? I thought they were just for stopping your feet from getting wet. I always wear loads of layers so my core is fine!

Yes overshoes make a big difference to my feet temperature wise, well worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

ciara1052 wrote: »

Make sure they are winter (neoprene) ones and try marino socks as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

Hi, just wondering does anyone have any recommendations for a brand / website that does regular fit long sleeve cycling jerseys?

I bought a bicycle line fiandre in M and while it fits its race fit and it's a bit tight for me tbh. Something a bit heavier too would be good as any colder than the 1st of Jan and i'd have been freezing. Cheers!

Advertisement