Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options
1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone know anywhere can get couple of decent long sleeve Merino wool base layers? Have two I use all the time but there starting to show there age at this stage! Have another thicker one I got from Galibier that ill start using again during the winter my only issue with it is that its very short especially for an XL but the price point is very good. The two I have where bought on Chain reaction but I'm not paying 50 euro each for them as there priced now!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

I have had 3 different long sleeved merino base layers. DHB, Crivit and Endura. You definitely get what you pay for in my experience with this stuff. The crivit one was the cheapest (~€20) but it was scratchy and quite uncomfortable. Think the DHB one was ok. My favourite is the Endura BaaBaa base layer ~ €45 if you have CI membership. Lovely and soft, lasted ages before I had to humanely destroy it like all my base layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

Is Galibier's winter gear as good as their gear for summer or spring?

I'm considering getting a long-sleeve jersey, a base layer, and a pair of long tights for winter days when it's possible to go for a spin without getting drenched the entire time.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have a few Galibier jackets (GrandTour Jacket, Route Training Jacket and a Mistral Foul Weather Jacket ) and they do perfectly for a winter spin (with base layer and possibly a jersey). I don't have any of their long sleeved jerseys but I do have two gilets (Zoncolan Foul Weather Gilet and a Izoard PRO Gilet) both of which are great and can roll up into something I can stick into a back pocket if & when it warms up (they'll stick out of the pocket but hopefully you get what I mean).

As for bib tights, I have two sets from them and both are lovely and warm (Énergie Thermo Bib Tights and Énergie 2 Bib Tights.

However, don't discount the idea of wearing regular bib shorts with leg covers - a cheaper way to get through a winter.

Am I happy with their stuff? Well, I keep going back for more so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

Yep they're good. I've the Mistral winter tights which are great though quite stiff material but good for proper cold days. To agree with Seth, don't discount a pair of good bibs with leg warmers. I've Energie Roubaix shorts which I've worn year round in temperatures from 5 to 25 degrees which I pair on colder days with leg warmers. And the Mistral is just a great piece of kit

(surely we should be getting some kickbacks as brand ambassadors for Galibier at this stage 😁)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm only seconding the two posts above mine (have the bib tights, Mistral jacket, and a long sleeved autumn jersey) so that when the royalties start rolling in, my name is near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bibs & leg warmers - September to Nov

Energie Thermo leggings - Nov on

Mistral leggings - deep winter

All the above from Galibier & each has its own purpose. It is however how “cold” you like to feel. I use wintergreen to warm the muscles below 5/6 degrees which helps massively.

Mistral & Mistral Pro jackets are awesome for winter.

To offer an alternative Verge defend jackets are top class as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Looking for bib tights without a chamois so I can use waist shorts for 1-hour lunchtime rides over the winter. I'd rather get bibs than use leg warmers as the shorts are a bit loose (and a bit transparent in one case).

I was going to get the Énergie Thermo Bib Tights (NO CHAMOIS) - Galibier but I hesitated and now my size is out of stock.

Any recommendations for bib tights with no chamois, or for cheapish (€50-80 I guess) bib tights - they will only be for 1-hour rides so they don't need to be Assos quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Trekker09

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I buy a few bits from here too

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

In case anyone is interested, I'm selling my Galibier Roubaix long sleeve jersey, size XL.

Only selling as I bought kit from my cycling club

https://www.adverts.ie/bike-clothes-shoes/galibier-roubaix-long-sleeve-jersey-xl/33313536

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Advertisement