Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Did he even make contact when he went down? Aussie gets a good score, it’s blown up as the best ever, similarly he makes a tackle or contact with a player and it’s blown up. He can’t do anything without being scrutinized

I don't think it was Gleeson that injured him but I mean why do it at all? Nobody pushed him into him. Which means he intentionally put his knees into the lad on the ground. Why? That kind of ****e will cost a team eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I don't think it was Gleeson that injured him but I mean why do it at all? Nobody pushed him into him. Which means he intentionally put his knees into the lad on the ground. Why? That kind of ****e will cost a team eventually.

Gleeson is still sore about missing the '17 All Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Great win when you think we didn’t hurl for nearly 40 mins. Backs to the wall though and we showed great character.
    Socky 2 brilliant saves he’s fearless in those positions,
    Callum Lyons is maturing every week and was superb today.
    Barron was simply majestic
    Paudie Mahoney stood up when required,
    Stephen Bennett worked his socks off even when everything wasn’t going his way.
    Big contributions from Jack Prendergast and Peter Hogan and personally think they should start next Sunday.
    We’re heading to Croker somehow, we all didn’t fire today but isn’t it someway to go into a final? Underdog tag suits us.
    Congratulations to the management also for getting the fans united behind a hurling team trying to play positively.
    Good support roles too from McNulty and Phillip Mahoney.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

Gleeson is still sore about missing the '17 All Ireland

Austin Gleeson played in that final!! It was Conor Gleeson who missed the final because of suspension!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Mod: A reminder to read the first post of the thread, specifically regarding abuse of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

DeiseX wrote: »
    Austin Gleeson played in that final!! It was Conor Gleeson who missed the final because of suspension!

He did? Didn't notice :p

He's a god player in fairness, maybe I'm being a bit harsh .. just seems to have a dirty streak in him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Isn’t it great to see Paudie Mahony back involved from play. I’m a massive Tommy Ryan fan but maybe Hogan’s work rate and relationship with Mahony might swing it in his favour. No actually I still think Tommy is the man for the summer sod!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

Joe who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

As i predicted 2 weeks ago, the first thing Gleeson does thats even slightly dogdy gets a huge amount of attention whereas Cannings sly slap of the hurl into Gleesons balls in Walsh park is ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

He did? Didn't notice :p

He's a god player in fairness, maybe I'm being a bit harsh .. just seems to have a dirty streak in him

No more so that Canning, just he's not the GAAs Golden boy and doesn't get away with the sly pulls and digs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

All this moral outrage nowadays at any slight nudge in the back here or flick of a boot there. Back in the 70s, 80s and 90s when men were men, there was no social media or video coverage and not a word spoken about the level of belting and flaking that went on, it was just part of the game.

There's not enough competitive edge to hurling nowadays, all the top players from opposing teams know each other well and many are friends from all star tours/ promotional events/Fitzgibbon etc, players almost have too much respect for each other. When there is a slight mishap its scrutinized for weeks on social media afterwards and lads are vilified. Most of the time its a spur of the moment stuff with no intent to injure anyone else. Gkleeson left a knee in for a split second amongst a ruck, he is prone to a rush of blood to the head we know but I definitely didn't see a blatant assault or anything of the sort, he shouldnt be subjected to the level of abuse he is getting.

For balance I also thought there was a lot made out of the Clare lads actions the week prior aswell. Nothing wrong with a bit of bite in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

https://twitter.com/i/status/1109899521163698176

Hopefully this is viewable? It seems that this is what has twitter alight. I see it being a free out, no more. There's no force in it
    Anyone remember Aussies soccer style tackle up that same wing in front of the stand, Galway player was blessed to get away without a serious injury?? Not what you would expect from an ex double player of the year. ##rolemodel

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Nice to see the same people who lined up last week to complain about the shot to the stones on Stephen Bennet are out again today. What, what was that we heard last week? Crickets? Colour me unsurprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Gardner

Canning's injury it seems was his groin. nothing to do with the shoulder at all! shock horror!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Concern trolls gotta concern troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

puzl wrote: »
    Nice to see the same people who lined up last week to complain about the shot to the stones on Stephen Bennet are out again today. What, what was that we heard last week? Crickets? Colour me unsurprised.

Shane Bennett

Sorry to be pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I dont think Austin did anything too bad but he has definitely been lucky not to be sent off in many games, including this one.

He could have easily got a second yellow for dropping his knees into the chest of that Galway player. There was no force in it but it was intentional and he could have been gone for it.

I fear we will lose him one day in a big game due to his antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

puzl wrote: »

I've watched the Gleeson thing back a few times and perhaps I'm blind but I can't see his knee making contact at all.

Bigger concern was Austin's performance yesterday, really wasnt in the game, pity given the strong display v Clare.

Looking ahead to next week one would have to be concerned about it being a 4th big game in consecutive weekends for us. Galway-Clare-Galway-Limerick, we were very flat at the start of the game yesterday and you'd wonder was that the sequence of games playing its part. It would have to be accepted that Limerick are likely to be fresher given their sequence in the same timeframe of Laois-No Game-Dublin-Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

KevIRL wrote: »
    Bigger concern was Austin's performance yesterday, really wasnt in the game, pity given the strong display v Clare.

Looking ahead to next week one would have to be concerned about it being a 4th big game in consecutive weekends for us. Galway-Clare-Galway-Limerick, we were very flat at the start of the game yesterday and you'd wonder was that the sequence of games playing its part. It would have to be accepted that Limerick are likely to be fresher given their sequence in the same timeframe of Laois-No Game-Dublin-Waterford

Didn't really think of his and it was an issue for all teams in the Munster and Leinster championships last year, hopefully they live off the adrenalin and momentum gained over these last weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

We’ve come from well behind in 3 games in a row. While it’s great we show winning mentality and resilience, we’re also on the edge of a hiding if we keep starting so slow. Limerick will play for 70 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I thought Kearney was shafted by the linesman.

That linesman (Horgan, who else ).

Seriously like? He was blessed not to get a straight red and Gleeson had to be taken off before he was put off.

DiscoStew wrote: »
    My view was slightly obscured of the incident but what I thought happened was Kearney and Harte tussled for a ball in the air after a free had been given in our back line. It seemed like Harte struck Kearney in some manner, not sure of the exact nature, and Kearney ripped the hurl out of his hands and threw it away. Maybe the throwing of the hurl is a yellow I don’t know, but it certainly wasn’t done without reason was my view of it. Harte went a long way out of his way to find Kearney after full time and seemed like he was offering some sort of an apology or explanation.
    Perhaps I missed something to say you felt Kearney could have seen a straight red??

Would you have changed your opinion after seeing the highlights last night. It was a wild stroke from Kearney. Very unusual for him. Luckily it didn't connect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

We’ve come from well behind in 3 games in a row. While it’s great we show winning mentality and resilience, we’re also on the edge of a hiding if we keep starting so slow. Limerick will play for 70 minutes.

Limerick won yesterday without ever being troubled (Dublin using the sweeper system etc. etc. a contributing factor).

Limerick's half back line is very strong and well able to win high balls. Conversely, Waterford's half forward line, though good in general play, are weak in this area ; but on a positive note, Hogan did pluck a ball (in the half forward line) from the air on his first touch and promptly despatched it over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

How are tickets for final being managed. Only through clubs or general release also?

deisedevil wrote: »
    How are tickets for final being managed. Only through clubs or general release also?

General I'd say. No bother in getting them, crowd wont be over 40K. I'd say closer to 30K attendance

KevIRL wrote: »
    General I'd say. No bother in getting them, crowd wont be over 40K. I'd say closer to 30K attendance

Thought as much.

Shame it can't be played in Thurles at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Thought as much.

I think its a huge positive and a very important factor in the development of this team that it is being played in Croke Park.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think its a huge positive and a very important factor in the development of this team that it is being played in Croke Park.

Yes. That's very true. I was just thinking selfishly for travel, and I prefer match days in Thurles. 😂

• Advertisement

Thought as much.

I think the experience of playing a national final in Croke Park will stand to the team though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement