Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

So frustrating that all the starter kits seem to be E27 bulbs, and I do not have a single E27 light socket in my entire house!!! Kitchen has GU10 (3 lights) and the rest of the house is B22/bayonet sockets.

Has anyone come across a deal for a B22 starter kit (with or without dimmer - I want the bridge and preferably white ambiance bulbs, I don't foresee ever making use of the colours, so don't see the sense of paying nearly double per bulb...)? Or good deal on GU10 starter kit and I can buy the B22's separately? I've seen a few kits, but the E27 always has amazing deals, with GU10 seemingly always at standard price...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

AngelaRI wrote: »
    So frustrating that all the starter kits seem to be E27 bulbs, and I do not have a single E27 light socket in my entire house!!! Kitchen has GU10 (3 lights) and the rest of the house is B22/bayonet sockets.

Has anyone come across a deal for a B22 starter kit (with or without dimmer - I want the bridge and preferably white ambiance bulbs, I don't foresee ever making use of the colours, so don't see the sense of paying nearly double per bulb...)? Or good deal on GU10 starter kit and I can buy the B22's separately? I've seen a few kits, but the E27 always has amazing deals, with GU10 seemingly always at standard price...

I have swapped out all sockets in my house to e27 now... I prefer the fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

mloc123 wrote: »
    I have swapped out all sockets in my house to e27 now... I prefer the fitting

I'm renting unfortunately, so easier said than done on those kinds of changes - I don't mind investing in the lights etc, those I can take with me when I get my own place someday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

AngelaRI wrote: »
    I'm renting unfortunately, so easier said than done on those kinds of changes - I don't mind investing in the lights etc, those I can take with me when I get my own place someday.

Ikea sell adaptors for pretty cheap. Though might cause the bulb to stick out a little, so it depends on your light fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Well I have ordered this Zigbee LL controller to pair with 10m of led strips that I have. No reviews as yet so taking a punt on it and see how it gets on with the Philips Hub.

Will report back when I see how it goes, hopefully a cheap 10m of Hue controllable loveliness!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Lamps outside are too far away. Garage in between. Would it be better to put a wifi extender in the garage or another hue bulb to extend?

Thanks,
    Gary

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Lamps outside are too far away. Garage in between. Would it be better to put a wifi extender in the garage or another hue bulb to extend?

Another Hue bulb in the garage is what you need.

A Wi-Fi extender won’t do anything for you as Hue bulbs communicate directly with the hub via the Zigbee protocol, and not your standard Wi-Fi.

Hue operates in a ‘mssh’ Type environment, meaning the more bulbs in a system, the better your coverage will extend to.

Another Hue bulb in the garage is what you need.

A Wi-Fi extender won’t do anything for you as Hue bulbs communicate directly with the hub via the Zigbee protocol, and not your standard Wi-Fi.

Hue operates in a ‘mssh’ Type environment, meaning the more bulbs in a system, the better your coverage will extend to.

Does the sensor also help extend?

I'm not sure about the sensors or remotes helping extend the reach of the hub but I doubt they do as they are battery powered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Typically if it's battery operated it doesn't extend but if it's mains powered it does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

All of a sudden all of my dimmer switches are unreachable. Tried changing the hub ZigBee channel no difference

All of a sudden all of my dimmer switches are unreachable. Tried changing the hub ZigBee channel no difference

Happened to me last week, they came back again quick enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

that happened to two of my four, i had to remove them and add them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Happened to me last week, they came back again quick enough.

Yeah came here to pay that they returned a while later last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Would anyone know how reliable the 'motion detected' time stamp is on the Philips hue motion sensor via the app?

I rent a property and have it kitted out with Philips hue bulbs and accessories.

I sometimes check the 'motion detected' status on the app when I'm in work to reassure me nobody has been in the house! There is no alarm.

Today I noticed the motion sensor on the stairs and in an upstairs room were activated during the day :eek: - Both sensors had the same time stamp recorded. These are the only two in the house. No sign of forced entry when I got back thankfully, and nothing seems to have been taken.

Is it possible for a false trigger to occur? Wi-Fi cutting out or something like that? No one else has authorized access to the place and there are no pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Is it possible for a false trigger to occur? Wi-Fi cutting out or something like that?
    I think I spotted that once on mine, and it was due to a software upgrade.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I haven't paid attention to the Hue sensors, but I do know that light through a window or heating can trigger sensors like these. Though two being activated is strange.

I'd think about getting an IP camera to keep an eye on the place. I was very comforted when I was away for two months and I was able to check in on the place using my IP camera.

I got the odd false positive, but the advantage of IP cameras is that you can check what triggered it. Once I saw it was just a moth flying in front of the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

Thanks for the info.

The software update seems a logical explanation, I'll check it out during the next update if I can.

Actually, a nest cam was going to be my next purchase, so have brought that forward. Got the cam and Philips hue 1metre light strip extension for 165 delivered from amazon.de so looking forward to receiving both of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I just ordered this neat cover for the light switch which holds the Hue Dimmer:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

€15.32 on eBay, released every Sunday at 7pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Neat, but to pricey for what it is imo.

Good find, though.

That zigbee protocol is fantastic, put a bulb in between a long distance and picked up the bulbs that were too far away immediately!!!

That zigbee protocol is fantastic, put a bulb in between a long distance and picked up the bulbs that were too far away immediately!!!

Yep.

When I had bulbs randomly scattered around the house, a lot of the times, The furthest ones away were hard to reach, and regularly uncontrollable, but since going 100% Hue, each and every bulb is available all of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Yep.

When I had bulbs randomly scattered around the house, a lot of the times, The furthest ones away were hard to reach, and regularly uncontrollable, but since going 100% Hue, each and every bulb is available all of the time!

Main bulbs are Hue and outside bulbs are Ikea. No issues at all. Totally in awe.

Join Ireland Weather Network

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

There's a guy I found on donedeal was fabbing them for about 25. (He discounts for more than one) Bit more than the ebay solution but great quality in fairness.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cskoy487c4h8rdf/Screenshot%202018-02-19%2011.33.24.png?dl=0

The best solution I've found so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Lads, funny one, but best way to diagnose all the lights randomly coming on at like 7:50am daily...mainly when I'm still in bed :P ..it's resulted in lots of shouting at google mini to turn of the f%*^ing lights!

I can't find anything in routines on the app or IFTTT..unless it's multi-user geofencing gone arseways. Happens not long after the GF goes to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Shlippery wrote: »
    Lads, funny one, but best way to diagnose all the lights randomly coming on at like 7:50am daily...mainly when I'm still in bed :P ..it's resulted in lots of shouting at google mini to turn of the f%*^ing lights!

I can't find anything in routines on the app or IFTTT..unless it's multi-user geofencing gone arseways. Happens not long after the GF goes to work.
    I asked a similar question earlier on in the thread, only real response was to check IFTTT, did that, still happening. I'll be awaiting your responses with great interest

cletus wrote: »
    I asked a similar question earlier on in the thread, only real response was to check IFTTT, did that, still happening. I'll be awaiting your responses with great interest

I wouldn't mind if it came on slightly dimmed..but no. full whack. 100% brightness.

Then I go to the bathroom / kitchen and notice those lights are on too. (these should be motion triggered not just "on" ) - so it massively seems like "turn on all lights" is being enabled somehow..

Shlippery wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if it came on slightly dimmed..but no. full whack. 100% brightness.

Then I go to the bathroom / kitchen and notice those lights are on too. (these should be motion triggered not just "on" ) - so it massively seems like "turn on all lights" is being enabled somehow..

A power cut? Resulting in all the bulbs resetting to their on state!!

• Advertisement

A daily power cut? At the same time? EVERY DAY! I'll keep investigating..but it makes me think I'm losing my mind.

Advertisement