Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia e-Soul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Got a recall notice in the post for an issue with the electronic braking system. the OH is refusing to drive the car till its fixed.

Yeah, strange letter though, I presume we have to go back to the dealer to get it sorted, it doesn't actually say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

rang the dealer yesterday. Told the service Dept isnt back till next week. :D

I haven't been following this thread in a while but I was told that the Kia/Hyundai EV's coolant change is very expensive ?

I haven't been following this thread in a while but I was told that the Kia/Hyundai EV's coolant change is very expensive ?

When I got my Kia Soul, the dealer said the the annual service would be €200!!
    I thought servicing an EV was supposed to be less effort than ICE cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Only if you have a very rare and expensive kind of water. This was discussed on the E-Niro thread.

Bixler3 wrote: »

Go to another dealer. Your dealer is looking for ICE figures for EV servicing.

Only if you have a very rare and expensive kind of water. This was discussed on the E-Niro thread.

Can you elaborate a bit ? Obviously I didn't see the discussion.

Can you elaborate a bit ? Obviously I didn't see the discussion.

In short it's bullshit. The coolant is water and glycol, and it needs to be changed the same as any other battery coolant.... Ever?

I've no idea how these things get started. Maybe part of the Tesla marketing process. :D

In short it's bullshit. The coolant is water and glycol.

I've no idea how these things get started. Maybe part of the Tesla marketing process. :D

Maybe there was/are dealers out there trying to screw People.

I remember Barlo Nissan in Kilkenny putting a "next service due in 15,000 Kms" sticker on my 2015 Leaf and when I asked them why were they doing this when it's 30,000 Kms and they said something like " we recommend a service in 15,000 Kms because anything can go wrong and it's better to have the car checked out" bla bla, They weren't happy when I told them this is deception and it's wrong to do this to People who don't know any better that they should have at least given people the facts and let them decide if they want to bring it in after 15,000 Kms or not.

• Advertisement

Maybe there was/are dealers out there trying to screw People.

I remember Barlo Nissan in Kilkenny putting a "next service due in 15,000 Kms" sticker on my 2015 Leaf and when I asked them why were they doing this when it's 30,000 Kms and they said something like " we recommend a service in 15,000 Kms because anything can go wrong and it's better to have the car checked out" bla bla, They weren't happy when I told them this is deception and it's wrong to do this to People who don't know any better that they should have at least given people the facts and let them decide if they want to bring it in after 15,000 Kms or not.

Yeah I tried to clarify the service interval with Kia Ireland. They never answered the many e-mails I sent.

Yeah I tried to clarify the service interval with Kia Ireland. They never answered the many e-mails I sent.

Why what are Kia doing ?

It amazes me that in Ireland so many companies are allowed to get away with so much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL, €79 for our Leaf at main Nissan dealer and zero for our Tesla.
    €200 for EV "service" is highly questionable

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

slave1 wrote: »
    LOL, €79 for our Leaf at main Nissan dealer and zero for our Tesla.
    €200 for EV "service" is highly questionable

It's def worth ringing around for service prices, pricing seems to be all over the place, some just charge a standard service fee, others have a lower price due to the reduced time. I think it's a bit mad that main dealer service prices are so variable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just wondering what kind of efficiency other Soul drivers are seeing? I recently discovered the historic journey screen, which shows the actual power used for the last 30 trips. I was astonished to find that only once in the last 30 trips (which pretty much equated to the last month) did I get under 20Kwh/100km. Generally I am doing mid 20's! This is mainly (sub)urban, short enough trips. Drive in Eco mode with level 3 regen (i.e. one more than default Eco). Usually have the heat on, driver only, 21c.

Looking around those numbers seem - just wrong?! One site even said if you're getting over 20 then you'd be better off burnng fuel! This test site saw around 14 Kwh/100km https://pushevs.com/2018/07/29/range-efficiency-test-of-10-electric-cars/ while the Norwegian AA did a winter test and got 18 Kwh/100Km https://www.naf.no/elbil/elbiler-i-norge/kia-e-soul/rekkeviddetest-kia-e-soul/

Am I misunderstanding something would you say? I attach some pics of my history screen.

Since taking delivery of the car in August I have been averaging 6.4 km/kWh with a mix of city & motorway driving in Normal mode and with climate control on. I think thats 15.625 kWh per 100 km. On short journeys the figure drops below 4.5 km/kWh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Just wondering what kind of efficiency other Soul drivers are seeing? I recently discovered the historic journey screen, which shows the actual power used for the last 30 trips. I was astonished to find that only once in the last 30 trips (which pretty much equated to the last month) did I get under 20Kwh/100km. Generally I am doing mid 20's! This is mainly (sub)urban, short enough trips. Drive in Eco mode with level 3 regen (i.e. one more than default Eco). Usually have the heat on, driver only, 21c.

Looking around those numbers seem - just wrong?! One site even said if you're getting over 20 then you'd be better off burnng fuel! This test site saw around 14 Kwh/100km https://pushevs.com/2018/07/29/range-efficiency-test-of-10-electric-cars/ while the Norwegian AA did a winter test and got 18 Kwh/100Km https://www.naf.no/elbil/elbiler-i-norge/kia-e-soul/rekkeviddetest-kia-e-soul/

Am I misunderstanding something would you say? I attach some pics of my history screen.

I would guess that your journeys are too short. Do you preheat car? Is it possible to break down how much energy is used on climate per journey?

There is a screen which shows the breakdown of battery use between drive/climate/electronics, you tap on the battery percentage and then tap again to get into it (i think)

JPA wrote: »
    I would guess that your journeys are too short. Do you preheat car? Is it possible to break down how much energy is used on climate per journey?

When you say pre-heat, do you mean climate control heating? Or battery? Tbh I wasn't aware it could do either, so I am not. I did turn on winter mode in the last few days but I believe that doesn't actually kick in until -10c (!).

Unfortunately the history screen doesn't split out climate control usage, but I guess that must be the chief suspect. I'll do a few runs with no climate control on and see how I go.

There is a screen which shows the breakdown of battery use between drive/climate/electronics, you tap on the battery percentage and then tap again to get into it (i think)

As I understand it that screen is a continuous thing, so not hugely useful in trying to understand trip Kwh/100km numbers. I may be misremembering that though, I'll have a look tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Done a 4km drive in freezing cold the other day with no preheating. Was 32kWh/100km! In e-Niro so sorry for butting in :p

It may be called Departure Timer or something like that, set your departure time and desired cabin temp and if you're plugged in the car heats itself off mains power. Saves a lot of energy compared to setting off in a cold cabin.

• Advertisement

Done a 4km drive in freezing cold the other day with no preheating. Was 32kWh/100km! In e-Niro so sorry for butting in :p

It may be called Departure Timer or something like that, set your departure time and desired cabin temp and if you're plugged in the car heats itself off mains power. Saves a lot of energy compared to setting off in a cold cabin.

I have to say that I wouldn't heat the car for a 4km drive. Seat heating and steering wheel heating is all I would use. It's only around 5 minutes, the car would just be getting up to heat when you're turning it off.

I have to say that I wouldn't heat the car for a 4km drive. Seat heating and steering wheel heating is all I would use. It's only around 5 minutes, the car would just be getting up to heat when you're turning it off.

Windscreen fogs up when driving in the cold. Don't know how to sort it without having the heat on.

Windscreen fogs up when driving in the cold. Don't know how to sort it without having the heat on.

It's possible to have air fed to the windscreen without the heating on. Just put the fan on 1, 2 or 3 as required, and make sure the heating is off and the air is directed at the screen. This works for me in the e-Niro, should be the same in the e-Soul.

It's possible to have air fed to the windscreen without the heating on. Just put the fan on 1, 2 or 3 as required, and make sure the heating is off and the air is directed at the screen. This works for me in the e-Niro, should be the same in the e-Soul.

Thanks, I'll try that later.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ckeng

You should be able to pull up the entire cumulated usage to see what your long term average is. Mine is 19.8 for the last 1000 km - I must have reset it at some point - but the last month has been generally 22-25 on longer trips.

According to the app for the i3 my average in 3 years 2 months and 93,500 Kms is 19.5 Kwh/100 kms and I don't baby it.

That's still cheap motoring and for 4 years I had work charging too and looks like I may have it again soon where I am now.

Your climate control will form a large % of this. Short trips means you may be 'burning' through electricity to heat the cabin and only reach 'steady state' cabin temperature just as you arrive at your destination.

Rinse-repeat, rinse-repeat.

A 5/6 KM trip can end up with 25% of the power usage being climate control quite easily I think.

As a test, drive further when you drive :D, or adjust the climate control down / off if possible and you should see dramatic enough impact on thees figures.

Your climate control will form a large % of this. Short trips means you may be 'burning' through electricity to heat the cabin and only reach 'steady state' cabin temperature just as you arrive at your destination.

Rinse-repeat, rinse-repeat.

A 5/6 KM trip can end up with 25% of the power usage being climate control quite easily I think.

As a test, drive further when you drive :D, or adjust the climate control down / off if possible and you should see dramatic enough impact on thees figures.

So that was exactly it. I did a longish run without any climate control yesterday and I got 14.5 Kwh/100k, much more like it. I also had a D'oh moment yesterday when I realised that for most of those short trips I have my dog with me. The dog loves having a back window open so he can stick his head out in the wind. I've been doing that pretty regularly, with the heat on! So that probably explains the huge numbers :-D

Now that I've figured out my power usage issue, I wonder could ask one other thing of fellow Soul (or eNiro) owners. I am due my first service next week and I have an issue I want to raise with the garage. When I stop and the car is in Park, I notice that it rolls into its final settled position. So you come to a stop, hit the stop/start button to turn off the engine and then if the car is on any kind of an incline (like even one you wouldn't notice initially), it rolls maybe a quarter tyre turn before settling. This is very disconcerting if you are trying to make a quick exit and it does the roll as you are getting out. I've driven automatics before and don't recall this type of behaviour, usually Park is rock solid. I know there is a recall on older models re rolling in Park but that seemed to be Park not engaging at all (and so actually rolling away rather than just rolling into a settled position). Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

My 2020 Soul seems to automatically engage the handbrake when I park on a slope ( havent tested this extensively, just observed it in my sloping driveway)

• Advertisement

Has anybody had the Soul EV brakes recall service update yet? How long did it actually take,

Now that I've figured out my power usage issue, I wonder could ask one other thing of fellow Soul (or eNiro) owners. I am due my first service next week and I have an issue I want to raise with the garage. When I stop and the car is in Park, I notice that it rolls into its final settled position. So you come to a stop, hit the stop/start button to turn off the engine and then if the car is on any kind of an incline (like even one you wouldn't notice initially), it rolls maybe a quarter tyre turn before settling. This is very disconcerting if you are trying to make a quick exit and it does the roll as you are getting out. I've driven automatics before and don't recall this type of behaviour, usually Park is rock solid. I know there is a recall on older models re rolling in Park but that seemed to be Park not engaging at all (and so actually rolling away rather than just rolling into a settled position). Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

The parking brake will stop that completely. From memory, the parking brake automatically applies under certain conditions. I think auto hold being on is one of them. It'll all be covered in the manual.

The movement in P was a feature of all autos I've owned. It never really bothered me.

That slight roll forward is in the Leaf also.
    Also, the EV is not an automatic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I tired to argue that point in my driving test, it's not an automatic, I was in full manual control of my single gear :D

That slight roll forward is in the Leaf also.

Well indeed yes, good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Does this 2021 kia e soul come with heat pump?
    Thanks

peaceboi wrote: »
    Thanks

Did you go onto the Kia site and check the specs ?

I don't think the heat pump is very beneficial, sure it's more efficient but in the recent cold snap for instance it would be absolutely useless.

The specs don't mention heat pump at all for the K3 which is the only one you can get in Ireland.

It does mention Heat Pump in the brochure but not in the specs so anyone's guess whether or not it has the HP.

It does now however have full led headlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭icom

peaceboi wrote: »
    Thanks

Neither the eSoul nor the eNiro have a heat pump and it's not even an option in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't get too worked up over it if it hasn't the heat pump because unless you're taking it to the range limit every day the heat pump is absolutely no value at all only costing you money when you won't benefit from it.

Got the recall for parking brake software update done. Since then though at 100-120km/h it honestly sounds like a little petrol engine..
    Might be ringing Kia on Monday to ask wtf have they done to the car

Got the recall for parking brake software update done. Since then though at 100-120km/h it honestly sounds like a little petrol engine..

Under braking or just while driving?

While driving. its fairly noticeable now. Read online of the kia motors developing a whine at higher speeds. Might just be something I'll have to live with.

While driving. its fairly noticeable now. Read online of the kia motors developing a whine at higher speeds. Might just be something I'll have to live with.

I have had the software update done with no impact so I would definitely go back to Kia for a checkout, best of luck.

I see the Hyundai Kona has had a battery pack recall, do Kia use the same battery supplier, does anybody know please?

• Advertisement

SK Innovation make eNiro batteries afaik
    Edit: And eSoul

I see the Hyundai Kona has had a battery pack recall, do Kia use the same battery supplier, does anybody know please?

It’s just Kona and Ioniq cars that are impacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Haven’t had the recall done, waiting to hit 30k km first. But I did notice when slowing down with brakes regeneration on Level 2 there’s a kinda grinding noise.
    Will try over next week on different settings to see if it’s a regular thing or something random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭fits

Looking around at the moment and am really quite taken with e-soul. Can anyone who has one tell me what kind of range they are getting from a charge? E-Niro seems to be much more popular.

fits wrote: »
    Looking around at the moment and am really quite taken with e-soul. Can anyone who has one tell me what kind of range they are getting from a charge? E-Niro seems to be much more popular.

I suggest you watch Bjorn's youtube videos on both the e-niro and e-soul.

I saw an e-sould long range, the 64 Kwh going for around 32K on carzone, might be worth checking out, consider also the E-Niro, I think it's a nicer car.

I drove the e-soul and I found it pretty good, I preferred it to the Kona.

From my test drive I drove a total of 196.6 Kms and had 39% left starting with 98% that was starting off at Kia Carlow Town To Blanchardstown and back. Starting temp was 5 Deg C not preheated and starting with 98% charge. I managed around 21 Khw/100 km so you'd get maybe 280 Kms on the motorway at 120 Km/hr, now consider my 24 Kwh Leaf would have managed maybe 80-90 Kms at that speed that's a big jump. + 30 mins on a 50 Kw fast charger would give you another maybe 140 kms range.

I think the e-niro is a bit better for efficiency, to be honest if I had to choose I would pick the e-niro with the larger boot and what I think is a nicer interior.

The id.3 charges a lot faster though especially the 77 Kwh 4 seater, soon to be available in 5 seater, rumours suggest VW will bump up the charging power to the id range with larger 77 Kwh battery to 150 kw that would be great but rumours for now.

One thing about the id range of cars is that a lot of people seem to be frustrated by the infotainment system and simple things are complicated to use on the road which is not good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement