Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

slave1 wrote: »
    In fairness to Nissan, they’ve decent pricing

For a micra

Leaf is a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭conor_mc

In my opinion, given all the flak Tesla/Musk have taken for being late on the 3, the SEC trouble with the tweets, grumbles about hyping solar tiles but going nowhere with them yet, it should be a bit of a relief to the doubters/naysayers that this was a much more measured announcement with what would seem to be a reasonable timeline.

After giving out that Musk was playing it too fast and loose for too long, it seems there is a palpable sense of disappointment that he might have actually learned some lessons along the way!

As for teaming up with Ford or whoever, that would be a disaster for Tesla’s stated goal of accelerating the change to sustainable energy. They would simply become a car company and outpost of Ford and lose their ability to disrupt and innovate across the entire spectrum of sustainable energy.

Remember, according to that goal, getting VW and whoever else to the EV party in large numbers is a success, not a failure!

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hence why you partner with larger company, they had a relationship with Merc which is gone now

Ford needed help to transfer to electric and are now with VW....

Let’s say they partner with Ford, both American so I’m sure they would get some benefits. They would get ready access to huge manufacturing and they would get access to money to get more batteries.....
    Doing it solo, which looks to be Musk choice, might end up killing the company long term

No rush when you have no competition

Tesla are now the best selling EV producer in Europe and US

They will partner with Toyota sometime in the future imo, both are in partnership with Panasonic for battery supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mike9832 wrote: »
    No rush when you have no competition

Tesla are now the best selling EV producer in Europe and US

They will partner with Toyota sometime in the future imo, both are in partnership with Panasonic for battery supply

I love this "best selling" stuff.....

In reality what percentage of the market does Tesla have? would they have got to 1% yet? in either US or Europe?

How many cars have Tesla sold in Europe to be number 1?

The BEV market at the moment in Europe for instance is what percentage of the total sales in Europe? would it be 1-2%?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The problem is they announce it and then say it will be 2021 before it will start selling. So why bother? if they are going to wait around for so long then why not do something different...

I had to read that a second time, I thought you were talking about VW! ;)

• Advertisement

I love this "best selling" stuff.....

In reality what percentage of the market does Tesla have? would they have got to 1% yet? in either US or Europe?

How many cars have Tesla sold in Europe to be number 1?

The BEV market at the moment in Europe for instance is what percentage of the total sales in Europe? would it be 1-2%?

Like for like

Looks like Giga 4 is going into Berlin and Elon says Model Y will be first up...
    https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1194373823912538112?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Anyone care to guesstimate when we can expect the Model Y over here?

Surely it will be quicker than the M3, but still years no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Probably 1.5-2 years away from the launch in US which hasnt happened yet

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think it really depends on how much innovation there is going to be in the Model Y production line.

If it's just a rebodied Model 3 then I don't see why they can't do near simultaneous ramp-up in US, China and Europe.

In which case I'd guess late 2021.

• Advertisement

T-b0n3 wrote: »

I'd be thinking 2022.

Its unlikely they will build Giga 4 as fast as the Chinese Giga and they havent turned a sod yet. Just an announcement on where it will be.

Right hand drive will be last and Ireland will be last of the last!

And the Model Y isnt due until 2021 in US (Elon says 2020 but thats Tesla time!)

Unless they decide to deliver some RHD Model Y's from the US. I doubt they will do that if Giga 4 is close to completion as import duties would make it more expensive.

Nice!

Looks like they are on track to go into production in US in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/07/tesla-model-y-performance-315-mile-range-121-mpge-most-efficient-suv/amp/

It’s been given an official EPA range of 315 miles for the Performance model. Some other stats at the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

Here are some more pictures of the model Y.
    If I'm not mistaken, US deliveries will start today

https://electrek.co/2020/03/12/tesla-model-y-pictures-reveals-secret-compartment-interior-look/

• Registered Users Posts: 64,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I saw those pictures last night. Looking good for any of us with 5 in the family. Back seat size looks typical for a large D-segment car (i.e. Modeo or Passat) or any E-segment cars (BMW 5-series, Mercedes E-class, etc.). And as such a full size up from the Model 3 (a small D-segment car) and the likes of Ioniq and Leaf (large C-segment cars)

I'd say 3 teenagers or even adults (as long as they are not big) could travel in the back in reasonable comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

unkel wrote: »
    I saw those pictures last night. Looking good for any of us with 5 in the family. Back seat size looks typical for a large D-segment car (i.e. Modeo or Passat) or any E-segment cars (BMW 5-series, Mercedes E-class, etc.). And as such a full size up from the Model 3 (a small D-segment car) and the likes of Ioniq and Leaf (large C-segment cars)

I'd say 3 teenagers or even adults (as long as they are not big) could travel in the back in reasonable comfort

Seriously interested in this. We've two 7 seaters at the moment, and no longer need the size of both, but we'd still like a be more capacity than that the likes the 3 would allow. Ideally, like one PHEV and one BEV. Also, I'd hate to go back to the driving position of a car

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

HOW much will they sell for here I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Idbatterim wrote: »

Probably a few thousand more that the similar Model 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I couldn't live with a 3... but I could definitely live with a Y. A hatchback is just so much more practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Boot looks quite large. Probably the first nearly affordable Ev that would meet my needs. Was considering if I could downsize to get in an Ev but a golden retriever has put an end to that idea. Currently have a 7 seater in 5 seat mode most of the time. 3 foot crate fits down one side of boot but he’s nearly too big for that now at 5 months!

I assume the 7 seat option is just two small rear facing seats like the model S?
    85237515_10163336831915271_6977072534382444544_n.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

• Advertisement

We'd all like to know that!

I reckon we won't get any RHD until they are made in the new Gigafactory in Berlin. The bad thing is that would be some time away. Maybe for early 2022?

The good thing is that it will be an EU built car and will not attract import duty (like the Model 3 does). This will shave a few grand of the price of the car

I'd be cautiously optimistic that we will get a base Model Y (5 seater) with no extras for around the EUR48-49k mark

Ryath wrote: »
    Boot looks quite large. Probably the first nearly affordable Ev that would meet my needs. Was considering if I could downsize to get in an Ev but a golden retriever has put an end to that idea. Currently have a 7 seater in 5 seat mode most of the time. 3 foot crate fits down one side of boot but he’s nearly too big for that now at 5 months!

We're the same. We managed fine in saloon cars with a boot (no hatchback) with 3 kids, but now we have a labrador we need a hatchback

Any pics of your dog? :)

48-49k would be quite good, considering my mate just dropped 35k on a 1.5 petrol T-roc!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The good thing is that it will be an EU built car and will not attract import duty (like the Model 3 does). This will shave a few grand of the price of the car

The cynic in me reckons an extra 10% profit for Tesla!

liamog wrote: »
    The cynic in me reckons an extra 10% profit for Tesla!

The market won't be as one sided anymore in 2022 there will be a lot more competition!

Now the Model 3 is in a league of its own. Selling like hotcakes and I'd say Tesla are making substantial profits on each and every one of them. And fair play, that is what a company is supposed to do in our capitalist society.

The market won't be as one sided anymore in 2022 there will be a lot more competition!

Now the Model 3 is in a league of its own. Selling like hotcakes and I'd say Tesla are making substantial profits on each and every one of them. And fair play, that is what a company is supposed to do in our capitalist society.

the thing is, given the fortune they have pumped in and that the market was always going to catch up eventually, they have to have some window, where they can reap the fruits of their labour and make it all worthwhile. Like you say, that isnt going to last long

• Registered Users Posts: 21,460 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

considering they are price 1-1.5k more than the equivalent M3 in the US I'd estimate take the M3 price here and add 2k EUR

ELM327 wrote: »
    considering they are price 1-1.5k more than the equivalent M3 in the US I'd estimate take the M3 price here and add 2k EUR

I didn't know that. In that case the Model Y should be cheaper over here until our Model 3 will also be made in Germany!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d say look at the % difference between the the Y and the 3 in the US and then apply a similar % for here.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    I’d say look at the % difference between the the Y and the 3 in the US and then apply a similar % for here.

Except that we have different taxes! And it depends very much where the car is coming from. The USA or the EU.

Advertisement