Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And so it begins...

Options
  • 29-01-2017 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭

With Trump's executive order on Muslim immigration, his siding up with Russia and his spat with Mexico, alongside the UK turning its back on Europe, we are heading towards a darker place. The world seems a little less safe right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Are you any relation to the legendary Degsy who used to post on here?

Characters like him, CD, Sergeant, Bantum and Crown are sorely missed on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭C. Montgomery Gurns

degsie wrote: »
    With Trump's executive order on Muslim immigration, his siding up with Russia and his spat with Mexico, alongside the UK turning its back on Europe, we are heading towards a darker place. The world seems a little less safe right now.

Trump has restricted immigration from countries which have produced lone wolf attackers (Somalia, Afghanistan and Syria) in three countries in 2015 and 2016 (Germany, the USA and the UK).

Trump is, as you put it, siding up with, or making peace with, the world's second biggest nuclear arsenal.

The EU are not going to declare war on the UK. Most EU states haven't the balls to protect their own women let alone fight the Brits.

Can you explain to me how the world is now less safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rachb

The world has been a lot less safer place since we let in all the undocumented economic migrants into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Uk turning its back on europe is not one of the major things making the world less safe right now. Spare a thought for the millions of Yemenites presently enduring famine and untold hardship due to Saudi blockades rather than worrying about some the stupid antics of that moron Trump who's probably pulling most of this **** for publicity
    And I hate derailing these kind of threads with a these people have it worse post but really in the grand scheme of things what Trump is doing or ever has the power to do is not as nearly as bad as whats happening in many parts of the world presently so it just seems a bit childish and blinkered to the problems of the rest of the world really

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am looking forward to the US being in a darker place later this year on August 21st.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Trump has restricted immigration from countries which have produced lone wolf attackers (Somalia, Afghanistan and Syria) in three countries in 2015 and 2016 (Germany, the USA and the UK).

It's a publicity stunt. I don't see Saudi Arabia on his list of countries, who's citizens were responsible for 9/11. I wonder why?
    The real terror threat in USA is their own citizens going on gun rampages, which happens all the time, but they don't want to address that issue properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,447 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Where did he say he was banning Muslims?

M

It's a publicity stunt. I don't see Saudi Arabia on his list of countries, who's citizens were responsible for 9/11. I wonder why?
    The real terror threat in USA is their own citizens going on gun rampages, which happens all the time, but they don't want to address that issue properly.

Hilary took the Saudi money with no questions, RTÉ forgets this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

We're going to build a wall from Dingle to Annascoul.

Saudi Arabia has several hundreds of billions of dollars invested in the US, they made a threat to take their money out of the country and their stock market if the US did anything to them when Obama was in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Actually come to think about it, our world may be, in some aspects, a bit more dangerous in 2017.

Obama rushed to release scores of highly dangerous prisoners days before Trump took office.

It is highly like Ibrahim Halawa will be released from prison and return to Ireland in 2017.

So yes, while it goes against the lefty vibe of the OP, there's two reasons we may face heightened risk in 2017.

M

But he's not letting in Catholics, Protestants or Jews from the same countries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

rachb wrote: »
    The world has been a lot less safer place since we let in all the undocumented economic migrants into Europe.

There's a weird disassociate humans make on things that kill us.
    Disease, suicide, car crashes, work accidents, attacks from our own people and on and on, yet we fixate on immigrants, even though they do statistically insignificant damage to our societies.

As I've said before, the Bataclan attack made world headlines. The worst attack on Framce since WW2. An attack carried out by Belgians and French nationals on the French. 2 of 8 terrorists were non European. In terms of death, more people died on French roads in the 4 weeks leading up to the attack. Over 90% of the people inside the Bataclan escaped. Some though there was a fire, not an attack, yet it led to huge crackdowns and hatred towards immigrants who had zero to do with it.

I think the world has gone mad with their fear of terrorism. I think media portrays it as much worse than it actually is. We have irish lads with 100s of convictions terrorising us and not a word said, while 24 hour coverage about all the "hidden terrorists" among the refugees. A grand claim to make, since either can't be proven right or wrong.

I hate to Godwin the thread but i find it so hypocritical when people say "Oh we'd never let atrocities like the holocaust happen again" when we have hundreds of thousands killed in Syria, millions fleeing and people just don't want to know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Actually come to think about it, our world may be, in some aspects, a bit more dangerous in 2017.

Obama rushed to release scores of highly dangerous prisoners days before Trump took office.

It is highly like Ibrahim Halawa will be released from prison and return to Ireland in 2017.

So yes, while it goes against the lefty vibe of the OP, there's two reasons we may face heightened risk in 2017.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to meet Chelsea Manning in a dark alley...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

But he's not letting in Catholics, Protestants or Jews from the same countries?

He is prioritising Christians from those countries.

Bad news, it is more than Muslims. It makes nice propaganda to say it is only Muslims.
    Anyone who has travelled to these countries are too, and people of all religions and none.
    A CNN journalist who is not Muslim but said he has been to a number of these countries says he is affected too.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to meet Chelsea Manning in a dark alley...

It probably is where you could find him hanging about :pac::pac:

I was referring to the Guantanamo prisoners mind. Although given the US murder rates I would be very surprised if one of the released drug offenders doesn't crop up sooner or later for a murder.

M

I suppose he is sticking to what he preached, unlike our turncoats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The man is doing what he said he'd do. I completely disagree with pretty much every policy he has and everything he stands for. He's a buffoon, but about the first politician that I can remeber that said he'd do something and then got on and did it.

The US has a constitution and the lawyers will sort it out. In the meantime fair play to the idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pardoned a man who was convicted of High Treason. In the old days you'd line up in front of a firing squad for that.

It's actually comical how the Dems can square this away with their claims that Putin rigged the election.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Could've been us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

He's a bit like the Ronseal Wood Stain TV adverts, he does exactly what he says on the tin (whether good or bad).

Now if he said he was going to bring in a new vast array of water charges, the electorate wouldn't have voted him in.

eeguy wrote: »

I think the world has gone mad with their fear of terrorism. I think media portrays it as much worse than it actually is. We have irish lads with 100s of convictions terrorising us and not a word said, while 24 hour coverage about all the "hidden terrorists" among the refugees. A grand claim to make, since either can't be proven right or wrong.

I do agree in part.

Are there thousands of ISIS operatives among the refugees? Probably not. Is there dozens of men who will arrive in Europe, become disillusioned, and resort to lone wolf attacks? Without a doubt. Why would they export so many of their footsoldiers? What people forget is that the ISIS leadership are not all Islamist radicals prepared to die. Many of them are secular former Saddam loyalists who realised portraying themselves as Islamists was the easiest way to gain recruits- the Che Guevara- esque politics of the Baath party just don't inspire Muslim youth like it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Obama banned Iranians in 2011. We're still standing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We're going to build a wall from Dingle to Annascoul.

Most people here wouldn't know where annascull is;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Obama banned Iranians in 2011. We're still standing

Did he? Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Toddlers have killed more people in the US than terrorists in recent years.

• Advertisement

Toddlers have killed more people in the US than terrorists in recent years.

Since the Boston bombings attacks by ISIS inspired jihadis within the US have killed at least 72 people, in attacks involving at least 15 jihadis, 11 of whom are dead.

Have toddlers really killed 72 people in four years? There are 8 million US toddlers per calender year. 72 murders gives them a murder rate roughly on a par with the Republic of Ireland (36 per 4 million)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement