Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Let it go lad . You've asked several times you ain't going to get a coherent answer. MA has made lots of claims about IW and has been wrong more often than she has been right. ;-)

Maryanne was one of the lucky ones, didn't she openly claim that she availed of the bribe grant, which if memory serves me correctly, she used towards taxing the motor.

I also believe she said she has her own sceptic tank, and so was only ever liable for 50% of any charges anyway (water in, but not out).

She therefore profited from the brain fart, so no doubt isn't part of the siffed middle Ireland crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

Let it go lad . You've asked several times you ain't going to get a coherent answer. MA has made lots of claims about IW and has been wrong more often than she has been right. ;-)

You're correct of course. Waste of time - but I thought I'd give it one last shot just for luck.

Benedict wrote: »
    I could respond to M84's comments - but she first needs to address the issue of how IW can know if a house without a meter is using excessive amounts and the extent of that usage so that an appropriate fine can be imposed.

This challenge is still live and needs to be addressed.

She appears to be the only contributor who insists that this is possible and we would all love to hear evidence - or an admission that she is withdrawing the claim.

I DO wish you would read posts fully. This was answered in a post that I copied and pasted AND supplied the link to the source.

Charges for excessive use are coming. Get over it and move on. By conserving water, these charges won’t affect you. Look at the bigger picture and protect the planet for our children’s children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You wont see arrogance like this from FG for a long long time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I DO wish you would read posts fully. This was answered in a post that I copied and pasted AND supplied the link to the source.

Charges for excessive use are coming. Get over it and move on. By conserving water, these charges won’t affect you. Look at the bigger picture and protect the planet for our children’s children.

I remember a former spokesperson for IW stating if people conserve water the unit price will increase. How does that help conservation?
    The excessive use limit is all about boiling the frog slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I do love this attitude :rolleyes:

Shut up and pay up, and think of the children!

It's nonsense.. it's FG's superquango trying to justify its existence and them trying to get us used to paying for something we already pay for through taxation so they can ultimately sell it off under undoubtedly more questionable circumstances.

FF may be all about the builders but at least they built. With FG it's all about double taxation and privatisation... and then people wonder why FF always get back in?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I do love this attitude :rolleyes:

Shut up and pay up, and think of the children!

It's nonsense.. it's FG's superquango trying to justify its existence and them trying to get us used to paying for something we already pay for through taxation so they can ultimately sell it off under undoubtedly more questionable circumstances.

FF may be all about the builders but at least they built. With FG it's all about double taxation and privatisation... and then people wonder why FF always get back in?

I love this attitude

Shure don’t we pay for everything through taxation?

I love the newfound sexiness about climate change, kids marching, protests outside the Dail but when asked to pay a few bob for clean potable water all hell breaks loose and FG are hammered from every angle.

Kind of proves the point we are up for everything we won’t pay for anything.

This privatisation crack also makes me chuckle.

We have very short memories.

What the lefties want is a workforce who when bedded in cannot be gotten rid of, low productivity, highly unionized , industrial unrest due to the above always on the horizon and then the Govt. will be dragged in and John Q Tee will be stiffed.

Have a good day y’all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I love this attitude

I love the newfound sexiness about climate change, kids marching, protests outside the Dail but when asked to pay a few bob for clean potable water all hell breaks loose and FG are hammered from every angle.

What the lefties want is a workforce who when bedded in cannot be gotten rid of, low productivity, highly unionized , industrial unrest due to the above always on the horizon and then the Govt. will be dragged in and John Q Tee will be stiffed.

Have a good day y’all.

This been covered Bren lad.
    Irish Water contracts never went to tender
    FOUR major contracts were awarded by Irish Water without being put out to public competition, the Irish Independent has learned.

The company used exemptions in EU procurement rules to award contracts for computer services to four suppliers already working for parent company Bord Gais.

The revelation comes just a week after the company's managing director, John Tierney, said all contracts were awarded following "open competition".

The matter is expected to be raised today when Mr Tierney appears before the Dail Environment Committee to answer questions on how the utility company spent €50m on external consultants.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-contracts-never-went-to-tender-29913224.html

People whinging about the left possibly doing what the right already does.
    That means that any Irish Water employee with more than a year’s service can automatically bring a claim for unfair dismissal if they are terminated. Employees with less than this period of service can usually be dismissed with greater ease, but it is likely that a significant proportion, if not the majority, of employees within the company already have the requisite service.
    https://fora.ie/readme/irish-water-staff-2772451-May2016/

IW was a brand shiny new quango and look what they gone and done...

We do pay for everything in taxation. If FF/FG can't manage it, that's their fault not ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think you'll find that people who protest on enviromental issues are very supportive of the state imposing charges on people who are wasteful with water.

In hindsight a lot of the resistance to Irish water was a primitive example of the more modern rabble-rousing we see on Facebook and other social media. People were whipped up into believing that the state was preparing to privatise the water network and the average individual would be paying thousands a year for a trickle of water. And fuelled by a backdrop of austerity; people were legitimately panicking about their personal financial situation.

Introducing charges now will go through with barely a peep.

I love this attitude

Have a good day y’all.

Another piece of vacuous nonsense but at least you are consistent.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »

Amazing then how it hasn't happened, I suggest you don't place a bet on your contention.

seamus wrote: »
    I think you'll find that people who protest on enviromental issues are very supportive of the state imposing charges on people who are wasteful with water.

In hindsight a lot of the resistance to Irish water was a primitive example of the more modern rabble-rousing we see on Facebook and other social media. People were whipped up into believing that the state was preparing to privatise the water network and the average individual would be paying thousands a year for a trickle of water. And fuelled by a backdrop of austerity; people were legitimately panicking about their personal financial situation.

Not at all. There was a series of foul slaps in the face. Privatisation was only a part of it. Siteserv deal still under investigation.
    People were use to paying tax towards water supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭malinheader

I reported two very bad leaks, two or three times to Irish water and also a couple of times to local council. Nearly
    4 weeks since reported and still nothing done. Rang Irish water last week and was told it's under investigation. This country has no interest in water conservation only taxing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I love this attitude

Have a good day y’all.

Ah I've missed your foghorn leghorn schtick! :rolleyes:

We DO pay for water through taxation Bren - or do you think the lads in FG and IW do a whiparound when the invoices/(and massive) wage bills come in?

I agree with you on the Climate change stuff though :eek: - another Internet Crusade designed to punish those with no choices and no money to "go green"

You're deluded if you think the end-game (as with most things FG turn their attention to) isn't to privatise and sell off the operation once they've forced the public into providing a nice steady income for the eventual buyer.

As for being a lefty.. far from it pal! But by all means, try and use that well-worn and just as transparent tactic to deflect from the points anyway.

I think when you say "Middle Ireland won't be stiffed", what you really mean is "I'm not paying if someone else is getting away with it" - good ole begrudgery, nothing to do with fairness at all. If it was "fair" we wouldn't be saddled with a bloated billing agency who couldn't even manage that part right at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Banging the drum about conservation is all well and good, but we have been conserving water for years, as have others, meter or no meter.
    This argument is about the ineptitude of a quango trying to re-introduce water charges by a different way, allowing them to slowly bring in fees based on meter readings but ignoring those without meters.

Even if they manage to get this in, it still stands that the people with meters will be discriminated against those who don't.
    Even the article that you linked to is flawed.
    Not every development has a group meter. If a development does not have a group meter they Cannot quantify leakage or usage by any one individual. Offering to put a meter inside your property shows they have no proof and they can be told to sod off.
    Even developments with group meters but no individual metering will still be difficult enough to prove over usage and would usually need to be done in the dead of night over several days. The cost in man hours and overtime will cost I.W. a fortune, much more than they will collect.
    So, it's people with meters who will be easy pickings and easy to monitor, while most with no meters can do what they like with their water FOR FREE!

Time and time again it comes back to the fairness issue.

There is an area in West Dublin called Tallaght which houses more than 75000 people and there isn't a single home with a meter.

Then there are the apartments - they won't pay a cent either.

And there are the houses which have no meters because IW took their ball and walked off the pitch.

So now the eejits with meters are told "You suckers will have a quota imposed - and if you break it, we'll break you".

Oh really?

Well, we'll see about that.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah I've missed your foghorn leghorn schtick! :rolleyes:

I think when you say "Middle Ireland won't be stiffed", what you really mean is "I'm not paying if someone else is getting away with it" - good ole begrudgery, nothing to do with fairness at all. If it was "fair" we wouldn't be saddled with a bloated billing agency who couldn't even manage that part right at the time!

You are perfectly correct there, my friend.

I have to chuckle when I see ‘bloated ‘ mentioned yet there is big push to get water services back under local authority control.

Those bhoys take ‘bloated’ to a totally different level.

You couldn’t make it up, I say, you couldn’t make it up:eek:

You are perfectly correct there, my friend.

I have to chuckle when I see ‘bloated ‘ mentioned yet there is big push to get water services back under local authority control.

Those bhoys take ‘bloated’ to a totally different level.

You couldn’t make it up, I say, you couldn’t make it up:eek:

You just did.
    IW is more bloated than the LA's water departments were/are.
    LA's used outside contractors.
    IW uses LA's to use outside contractors.
    IW has employees embedded that can't be easily let go.
    And we've covered the laughing yoga, consultants, Tierney, 'jobs for our own' ad nauseam.

Spinning yarns to try make IW look better than what went before it isn't helping middle Ireland. All IW has different is more funding and it's surplus to requirements.

You just did.
    IW is more bloated than the LA's water departments were/are.
    LA's used outside contractors.
    IW uses LA's to use outside contractors.
    IW has employees embedded that can't be easily let go.
    And we've covered the laughing yoga, consultants, Tierney, 'jobs for our own' ad nauseam.

Spinning yarns to try make IW look better than what went before it isn't helping middle Ireland. All IW has different is more funding and it's surplus to requirements.

Where is yer one Arnott, pal?

Just arsking ?

Just arsking ?

Honestly can't understand this. I'm guessing it's dodging the facts as pointed out to you anyway.

IW, bloated and embedded staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Just arsking ?

I presume you mean Elisabeth Arnott Irish Water`s very own Comical Ali ?
    No idea where she is now, but I for one will always remember her interview with Sean O Rourke in 2014 on Irish Water`s bonus culture. Comedy gold.

Honestly can't understand this. I'm guessing it's dodging the facts as pointed out to you anyway.

IW, bloated and embedded staff.

Lot of stuff you can’t understand Matthew.

Let’s all take a time out and consider our positions, buddy.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I presume you mean Elisabeth Arnott Irish Water`s very own Comical Ali ?
    No idea where she is now, but I for one will always remember her interview with Sean O Rourke in 2014 on Irish Water`s bonus culture. Comedy gold.

2014..Fair play Charles, you seem to be a driven sort of dude.

No harm there, I hasten to add.

Lot of stuff you can’t understand Matthew.

Let’s all take a time out and consider our positions, buddy.

You said the lefties wanted control of IW and it would lead to embedded staff.
    IW has embedded staff.

I can see from your last few comments you've gone into ramble mode :)

Can you not retain information that interested you from 5 years ago B?
    Many people can and for even things from many years ago it's not really a reason for a veiled sneer of contempt.

I would not say driven Brendan.

Just someone who isn`t easily conned to "engage" with a scam.

You said the lefties wanted control of IW and it would lead to embedded staff.
    IW has embedded staff.

I can see from your last few comments you've gone into ramble mode :)

Incorrect Matthew, I intimated that lefties wanted control of water services, not IW.

Lookit... best thing for the lefties is get dug into the non private operations.

We all know that... PS ..Local Authorities, Fire Brigade, HSE, stuff like that.

Get well lodged in and you are on easy street.

C’mon man.... get real.

Incorrect Matthew, I intimated that lefties wanted control of water services, not IW.

Lookit... best thing for the lefties is get dug into the non private operations.

We all know that... PS ..Local Authorities, Fire Brigade, HSE, stuff like that.

Get well lodged in and you are on easy street.

C’mon man.... get real.

If you are insinuating that some of those non private operations are a shambles because of these mysterious lefties, then they are well heeled lefties at but senior management and senior political level.

Elizabeth Arnett left IW 3 years ago to take up a very senior position with Ulster Bank.

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    If you are insinuating that some of those non private operations are a shambles because of these mysterious lefties, then they are well heeled lefties at but senior management and senior political level.

Eh......right. :confused:

Advertisement