Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Tyrone resorting to punching lads off the ball. It must be frustrating looking up at that score board.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CaoimhinCong

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Tyrone resorting to punching lads off the ball. It must be frustrating looking up at that score board.

Well it wouldn't be a first in fairness, Sean Cavanagh, Mugsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

They do that regardless of the score tbf. Its ingrained in them. A lesson in discipline for the lads trying not to react to that stuff and get a silly card.

Also, I was happy that Tyrone went for goals in the 2nd half. Nice work out for the defence.

That first half was a scary half of football considering I was expecting a tough, close game.

Is foley ahead of morley at FB now! I suppose he is, back to his underage form. Mike Breen was very impressive, very assured. Even Brian OB was impressive today. Very elusive and he'll run all day. Sean O'Shea gave Hart a roasting. Positives everywhere, looking forward to championship now...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

dobman88 wrote: »
    While he didnt just mark McKenna it's safe to say he proved you wrong. A top class performance from him. MOTM contender.

100%. Great display today. Tyrone made a mistake not putting McKenna in full forward but on that display Foley would have handled him. For the first time he looked tenacious, wanted every ball like it would be his last. Hoping he can back that up now against Clare with the same tenacity.
    Deserved Man of the match albeit a tight call with Gavin White and Diarmuid O Connor also both excellent.

How can PK justify changing the defence and putting Murphy in ahead of Breen after that display by Breen and the defence as a unit.
    While Geaney scored 2-1 I think, he will be exposed by better teams who will run him to death so we will concede more scores than he gets.I know it’s mad to say it but I’d play Murphy in his position. Geaney is an excellent second half option for scores when the pace has dropped.

Having Geaney,K Spillane, Moran, Walsh, Barry ,Brosnan etc off the bench would be a big boost.

Stephen O Brien and Tom O Sullivan both don’t look fully fit yet so they should get better as the championship goes on.

Lastly the worst performance of the day definitely came from the TG4 camera crew 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Yeah I agree, he 100% meant it.

Also agree it puts the Moran argument to bed. We have already seen the benefits of 2 quick, mobile midfielders who can get up and down the pitch in 1 half of football. Moran doesn't have it any more. Could still do a job to close a.game out with his experience perhaps.

I would still be afraid that Keane will start Moran.

Based on his performances in the league, I wouldn't have Moran making the championship 26. DOC, Barry and Spillane were all a good bit better than him.

This surely has to be has last year with Paul O'Shea, Joe O'Connor and Liam Kearney all looking for game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Forge83 wrote: »
    Lastly the worst performance of the day definitely came from the TG4 camera crew 😂

Amateur hour on the kickouts - there was one kickout where we got treated to about 10 seconds of Fitzgibbon standing there after he kicked out the ball.

Why the hell weren't they using picture in picture for the kickouts/replays of action - they've 100% used it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I missed most of that Kerry v Tyrone match. But caught that Gavin White goal. It has to be the cheekiest Football goal since Mikey Sheehy? Maybe even better than it skill wise?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I missed most of that Kerry v Tyrone match. But caught that Gavin White goal. It has to be the cheekiest Football goal since Mikey Sheehy? Maybe even better than it skill wise?

Far better. The execution needed from that distance is insane. Niall Scully tried the same shot from similar distance in the first half here against Donegal and it drifted well wide. It's an insane piece of skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Far better. The execution needed from that distance is insane. Niall Scully tried the same shot from similar distance in the first half here against Donegal and it drifted well wide. It's an insane piece of skill.

Funny thing was even when I saw the replay after the goal. I assumed it was back to live play. It looked that there was no threat at all.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Is foley ahead of morley at FB now! I suppose he is, back to his underage form. Mike Breen was very impressive, very assured. Even Brian OB was impressive today. Very elusive and he'll run all day. Sean O'Shea gave Hart a roasting. Positives everywhere, looking forward to championship now...

well now chap... glad to see u have come around to my way of thinking....! Morley is just too slow.. we have been giving about Foley for a couple of years.. but he is good he has never been destroyed by a forward.. he does things in a very quiet way... fullback is his position and there is the world of difference between corner back and fullback... there is def more in him(which is what annoys us) but look at his stats for all his games and hes doing fine..

u told me Murphy was our best defender... unfortunately Paul has been in decline since Fitzmaurice tried to make a sweeper out of him in 17.. i think that destroyed his confidence.... makes mistakes at the wrong time.. he also lacks any presence which i think is extremely important for a defender... shame really.. was watching kerry v dublin 2016 semi final aorund xmas time and paul was outstanding in that game... really took the game to dublin...

i still think K Spillane should be on ahead of Geaney... i have literally no time for him at all... in all the big games in the past few years.. Paul who should be a leader on the team did not perform... obvious examples are v Monaghan in 2018.. v Dublin 2019.. that penalty should have been buried to the net.. hes just not doing enough to be in the 1st 15...

obviously we should remember that donegal came to tralee last october and kerry steamrolled them and we saw what happened 2 weeks later... Tyrone i dont think have ever put in any sort of a performance when they come to killarney.... they have always played well below par.. could be wrong.. but i dont think kerry have ever had much bother beating them when they had to travel south... so that would want to be factored in when analysing todays game

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

well now chap... glad to see u have come around to my way of thinking....! Morley is just too slow.. we have been giving about Foley for a couple of years.. but he is good he has never been destroyed by a forward.. he does things in a very quiet way... fullback is his position and there is the world of difference between corner back and fullback... there is def more in him(which is what annoys us) but look at his stats for all his games and hes doing fine..

u told me Murphy was our best defender... unfortunately Paul has been in decline since Fitzmaurice tried to make a sweeper out of him in 17.. i think that destroyed his confidence.... makes mistakes at the wrong time.. he also lacks any presence which i think is extremely important for a defender... shame really.. was watching kerry v dublin 2016 semi final aorund xmas time and paul was outstanding in that game... really took the game to dublin...

i still think K Spillane should be on ahead of Geaney... i have literally no time for him at all... in all the big games in the past few years.. Paul who should be a leader on the team did not perform... obvious examples are v Monaghan in 2018.. v Dublin 2019.. that penalty should have been buried to the net.. hes just not doing enough to be in the 1st 15...

obviously we should remember that donegal came to tralee last october and kerry steamrolled them and we saw what happened 2 weeks later... Tyrone i dont think have ever put in any sort of a performance when they come to killarney.... they have always played well below par.. could be wrong.. but i dont think kerry have ever had much bother beating them when they had to travel south... so that would want to be factored in when analysing todays game

If you are going to slate a player for not performing do not pick the one game in 2019 to back your argument.

Ok I can accept he was kept scoreless, missed a penalty and had a shot cleared off the line in the drawn match in 2019.

Paul Geaney v Donegal championship 2019 - 1-4 from play
    Paul Geaney v Tyrone semi final 2019 - 0-3 from play
    Paul Geaney v Dublin in replay 2019 - 0-4 from play.

Now you stated in ALL the big games in the last few years Paul hasn’t performed.

Would you call an All semi-final and a AI final replay a big game?

conor05 wrote: »
    If you are going to slate a player for not performing do not pick the one game in 2019 to back your argument.

Ok I can accept he was kept scoreless, missed a penalty and had a shot cleared off the line in the drawn match in 2019.

Paul Geaney v Donegal championship 2019 - 1-4 from play
    Paul Geaney v Tyrone semi final 2019 - 0-3 from play
    Paul Geaney v Dublin in replay 2019 - 0-4 from play.

Now you stated in ALL the big games in the last few years Paul hasn’t performed.

Would you call an All semi-final and a AI final replay a big game?

To be fair Paul has been a high quality high scoring forward for Kerry for many years. Every player has bad games over the years but Paul’s have been primarily top class. A few bad games and mistakes will not define him.
    However, the game has evolved once again and left him behind. No doubting the man can put up good scores, but he can’t do the rest that is required in the modern game. If he started against Dublin, his marker would just run him up and down the field like they did to Cooper at the end of his career. He can play a massive part in an All Ireland challenge with 15/20mins left in games that are still in the melting pot.

? No I didn't say he was our best defender! I said and still think he's "ONE of our best ALL ROUND defenders" he just needs to left at half back. Its great to see lads coming putting pressure on for places, but Murphy has performed in the big important games and is always good for a point or 2 given the opportunity. I still think he's one of the most reliable performers but yes he's coming under pressure for his place now, which is of course a good thing.

Foley on form is the better fb but today was the first time in a long time hes shown that form.

It'll be interesting moving forward what kind of settled team emerges. Some big calls to be made by PK, But by god he can't complain that he doesn't have options.

I thought the dubs didn't look great today tbh, they have allot of scope for improvement of course.An Interesting few months ahead, and plenty to be optimistic about...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Did this previously, just updating to reflect the current panel.

Kieran Fitzgibbon 27 (1994) (Open to Correction)

Tom O Sullivan 25 (1996)
    Jason Foley 23 (1998)
    Brian O Beaglaoich 25 (1996)

Mike Breen 23 (1998)
    Gavin Crowley 27 (1994)
    Gavin White 24 (1997)

Adrian Spillane 27 (1994)
    Diarmuid O Connor 22 (1999)

Stephen O Brien 29 (1991)
    Sean O Shea 23 (1998)
    Paul Geaney 31 (1990)

Paudie Clifford 25 (1996)
    Dara Moynihan 23 (1998)
    David Clifford 22 (1999)

Subs (vs Tyrone):
    Jack Barry 27 (1994)
    Killian Spillane 25 (1996)
    Jack Sherwood 30 (1991)
    Graham O'Sullivan 23 (1998)
    Tommy Walsh 33 (1988)
    Micheal Burns 25 (1996)
    Paul O' Shea 20 (2001)
    Joe O'Connor 21 (2000)

Other League Game Panelists:
    Paul Murphy 30 (1991)
    Tadhg Morley 28 (1993)
    David Moran 33 (1988)
    Tony Brosnan 25 (1996)
    Ronan Buckley 25 (1996)
    David Shaw 23 (1998)
    Pa Kilkenny 29 (1992)
    Shane Ryan 25 (1996)
    Brendan Kealy 35 (1986)
    Kevin O Sullivan 27 (1994) (Open to Correction)

League Panel Average Age: 26.0 years

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Patchin

Unstoppable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Patchin wrote: »
    Unstoppable

Need to be a bit more subtle if you're going fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I read that. What do you do with people like this? They are obviously scumbags but should a conviction mean that they cannot represent the county..

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I read that. What do you do with people like this? They are obviously scumbags but should a conviction mean that they cannot represent the county..

Yes. Playing football should be the least of their worries when a completely unprovoked assault takes place.

I know Dan, he's a chap who would never cause an ounce of trouble and is friendly with everyone. The lads who attacked him should be ashamed of themselves and I'd hope will never represent Kerry again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Another former panel member had similar incidents previously and was eventually dropped, you would hope that neither of them would be anywhere near the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

No point us being judge and jury here folks, this was nearly 3 years ago and has been hanging over them sense.

Mindless stuff but they have no been before the courts so let them put it behind themselves. Harsh lesson to learn at a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Another former panel member had similar incidents previously and was eventually dropped, you would hope that neither of them would be anywhere near the team.

My attitude to that is there but for the grace of God go mine. You never know where your's will lead you.

Young and stupid. Too much liquor or too much up there noses. But no point in casting the first stone

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Marty1983 wrote: »
    No point us being judge and jury here folks, this was nearly 3 years ago and has been hanging over them sense.

Mindless stuff but they have no been before the courts so let them put it behind themselves. Harsh lesson to learn at a young age.

Agree, but also think it's fair to discuss the implications of same now that it has been judged upon.

Mindless maybe, but most people don't have to 'learn the lesson' not to assault others.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

The identity of the guy who started the whole thing would raise a few eyebrows

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Marty1983 wrote: »

Why not ?
    They are guilty of assaulting a man.

Harsh lesson? pay a few grand to a man they battered?
    Hopefully karma does come visiting on these 2 tough guys.

Are they still involved in the county setup , or another pair of "cudda played county" only for *insert excuse ...

Courts are too lenient.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

If we both heard the same person it would in fairness. Don't understand how he was kept out of it.

I am unsure whether these lads should be banned from playing from Kerry or not. We have the case of another lad being let go from the panel for similar repeat offences.

Then there is the well cited case of Connolly in dubln. I would be in favour of keeping him on the panel unless something like this occurs again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Kerry_2008 wrote: »
    If we both heard the same person it would in fairness. Don't understand how he was kept out of it.

I think I might know who you are talking about alright. Yes it is very strange how it was kept under wraps from a media point of view but I think it's widely known in the area who was involved.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I think I might know who you are talking about alright. Yes it is very strange how it was kept under wraps from a media point of view but I think it's widely known in the area who was involved.

Was his involvement not purely verbal hence why he wasn’t charged?
    There’s surely no way the victim, the 2 attackers and any witnesses all left his name out of their statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Why has he got away with it as such? Its well known in the area who it is.
    Id have zero sympathy for these guys, live by the sword die by the sword.
    I was punched in the head a few years back on a night out in Galway. Totally unprovoked, me and a buddy were walking up the middle of town and a fella just walked over and boxed me. Caught completely off guard but I was incredibly lucky not to suffer any injuries as you hear all sorts of stories about fellas falling the wrong way etc.

Fcuk them imho

Advertisement