Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

The identity of the guy who started the whole thing would raise a few eyebrows

Heard a name today from a fella who would know and its surprising his name hasnt been mentioned so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Can ye tell us the name? Or is that breaking some rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

mystic86 wrote: »
    Can ye tell us the name? Or is that breaking some rule?

it wont be said on here who the guy is.. it is well known in Kerry who is being referred to... so if you have any friends or associates from Kerry who are into football.. they'll tell u

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭Gael85

it wont be said on here who the guy is.. it is well known in Kerry who is being referred to... so if you have any friends or associates from Kerry who are into football.. they'll tell u

A current or former player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Gael85 wrote: »
    A current or former player?

Current.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Their appealing their conviction. Their solicitor is also representing the Healy Raes in their appeal so maybe he'll try and get both cases heard on the 1 day.

The 3rd footballer who initiated events leading to the assault is a coward in my opinion. He knocked the injured parties food on the ground. Some role model. Should be kicked off the Kerry panel

Their appealing their conviction. Their solicitor is also representing the Healy Raes in their appeal so maybe he'll try and get both cases heard on the 1 day.

The 3rd footballer who initiated events leading to the assault is a coward in my opinion. He knocked the injured parties food on the ground. Some role model. Should be kicked off the Kerry panel

that wont happen... personally i think the 3 lads involved should be tied up get a good hiding. maybe spend a few days in hospital recovering and then can we all move on....

has anyone seen the cctv footage of the incident...??

what goes around comes around... a former kerry footballer savagely assaulted a pensioner in killarney a good few years back.. it didnt bring him any luck

A bit of perspective, knocking someone's food out of their hands when you're drunk is a scumbag move, but it's not even in the same hemisphere as what the others did. Still fairly pathetic. But if you do that and the person who bought that food reacts and verbally retorts, you don't pummel him, that's where the line is. And the ones convicted are the ones who crossed that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Anyway, What team do we all hope will start against Clare?

For me it’s as follows even including some players I have slated in the past.
    Most likely Murphy will start ahead of Breen, Geaney in the forwards and Moran in midfield but I am hoping not.

1. K Fitzgibbon
    2. B O Beaglaoich
    3. J Foley
    4. T O Sullivan
    5. M. Breen
    6. G Crowley
    7. G White
    8. A Spillane
    9. D O Connor
    10. S O Brien
    11. S O Shea
    12. P Murphy
    13.P Clifford
    14. D Moynihan
    15. D Clifford

Subs-
    16. S Ryan
    17. D Moran
    18. P Geaney
    19. K Spillane
    20. J Barry
    21. T Walsh
    22. T Morley
    23. R Buckley
    24. J Sherwood
    25. Micheal Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I read that. What do you do with people like this? They are obviously scumbags but should a conviction mean that they cannot represent the county..

Yes. GAA should have no room for thugs.

• Advertisement

Marty1983 wrote: »
    No point us being judge and jury here folks, this was nearly 3 years ago and has been hanging over them sense.

Mindless stuff but they have no been before the courts so let them put it behind themselves. Harsh lesson to learn at a young age.

Harsh?

Are you for real? The assaulted someone unprovoked.

They should be locked up. These thugs dont deserve to pull on a Kerry shirt again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Harsh?

Are you for real? The assaulted someone unprovoked.

They should be locked up. These thugs dont deserve to pull on a Kerry shirt again.

The mans face just got in the way of their fist.

Kerry_2008 wrote: »
    If we both heard the same person it would in fairness. Don't understand how he was kept out of it.

I am unsure whether these lads should be banned from playing from Kerry or not. We have the case of another lad being let go from the panel for similar repeat offences.

Then there is the well cited case of Connolly in dubln. I would be in favour of keeping him on the panel unless something like this occurs again

Connolly shouldnt have been allowed back. These lads should be no where near GAA after this incident. No room in GAA for thugs. An example should be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Forge83 wrote: »

1. K Fitzgibbon
    2. J Foley
    3. T Morley
    4. T O Sullivan
    5. P. Murphy
    6. G Crowley
    7. G White
    8. D Moran
    9. D O Connor
    10. Jack Barry
    11. S O Shea
    12. S O' Brien
    13.P Clifford
    14. D Clifford
    15. D Moyihan/P Geany

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Most likely Murphy will start ahead of Breen, Geaney in the forwards and Moran in midfield but I am hoping not.

1. K Fitzgibbon
    2. B O Beaglaoich
    3. J Foley
    4. T O Sullivan
    5. M. Breen
    6. G Crowley
    7. G White
    8. A Spillane
    9. D O Connor
    10. S O Brien
    11. S O Shea
    12. P Murphy
    13.P Clifford
    14. D Moynihan
    15. D Clifford

Subs-
    16. S Ryan
    17. D Moran
    18. P Geaney
    19. K Spillane
    20. J Barry
    21. T Walsh
    22. T Morley
    23. R Buckley
    24. J Sherwood
    25. Micheal Burns

Think you're close enough but could see Murphy at 5, Geaney at 12 and Breen back on the bench.

I'm happy with any team that keeps the pace in it. I think Moran will start but unfortunately he holds the team back now. A midfield with any combination of O Connor, Spillane and Barry would be good. Quick, agile footballers capable of getting around the pitch and delivering quality ball when needed.

Moran still needed to come on late and settle things down to see out a result but I think his starting days are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

1. K Fitzgibbon
    2. J Foley
    3. T Morley
    4. T O Sullivan
    5. P. Murphy
    6. G Crowley
    7. G White
    8. D Moran
    9. D O Connor
    10. Jack Barry
    11. S O Shea
    12. S O' Brien
    13.P Clifford
    14. D Clifford
    15. D Moyihan/P Geany

Is this the team you hope will start or the team you think will start?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

Most of us Kerry fans are critical of certain northern teams and their behaviour on and off the field. There has been numerous high profile incidents over the years. We are no better if we allow these thugs near a Kerry panel what they did was unforgivable. Glad the judge called it out for what it is.

1. K Fitzgibbon
    2. B O Beaglaoich
    3. J Foley
    4. T O Sullivan
    5. M. Breen
    6. G Crowley
    7. G White
    8. A Spillane
    9. D O Connor
    10. S O Brien
    11. S O Shea
    12. P Murphy
    13.P Clifford
    14. D Moynihan
    15. D Clifford

Subs-
    16. S Ryan
    17. D Moran
    18. P Geaney
    19. K Spillane
    20. J Barry
    21. T Walsh
    22. T Morley
    23. R Buckley
    24. J Sherwood
    25. Micheal Burns

id say your on the money there chap.... as u said i think Murphy will be at 5. Moran at 8 and Geaney at 12.. this management have no time for the Spillanes so i dont expect any of them to start..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Arealred wrote: »
    Most of us Kerry fans are critical of certain northern teams and their behaviour on and off the field. There has been numerous high profile incidents over the years. We are no better if we allow these thugs near a Kerry panel what they did was unforgivable. Glad the judge called it out for what it is.

"We" have no control over them losing their place on the panel.

Haven't heard anyone defending them round here anyway and anyone I've spoken to expects they'll lose right to place on county panel as a result of assault.

Is this the team you hope will start or the team you think will start?

Well the question was what team we liked to start.

The team that will start I think will be much the same with Geany in for the third midfielder. I expect Moran to start or if not Jack Barry with O'Connor. My big fear is we have too many light players that will be.opwrating between the two forties. While Murphy, Crowley, White, Paudie Clifford, Moyihan and Geany are all decent footballers they lack physical presence. Against most teams we will manage but against Dublin we must extract a price for whatever way they try to manage Clifford

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Is Paudie Clifford really that good that he's our championship starter now instead of Geaney, Tommy, Burns, Brosnan, Spillane? He's been grand in the league and obviously for EK but it's been a long time since a fella came from the fringes at his age. Galvin maybe the last who really kicked on after being overlooked early.

Is Paudie Clifford really that good that he's our championship starter now instead of Geaney, Tommy, Burns, Brosnan, Spillane? He's been grand in the league and obviously for EK but it's been a long time since a fella came from the fringes at his age. Galvin maybe the last who really kicked on after being overlooked early.

Yes he is. He was MOTM in one of those games you said he was grand in, and he was up there in the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Yes he is. He was MOTM in one of those games you said he was grand in, and he was up there in the others.

I agree, it might mean allot to a fella that comes along abit later aswell. He's been one of our top performers in fairness and great at linking play. Gets through a fair amount of work aswell.we needed a player like him .

He is quite good, he has a fast turn of pace and is gets into good positions. He seems to have sixth sense about his positioning with his brother. I rate him above Moyihan and Geany. He is well ahead of Burns. I think Brosnan is a tidy player but I have not really seen him perform on the heat of championship. The only think stopping Killian Spillane starting is he is too good coming on. With the need to bring on 5-6 substitute's to finish games it's important to have scoring potential coming on remember McMenanin.

If I have any criticism it's his shot selection. There was 1-2 instances in the first game's against Galway and Dublin and again the last day against Tyrone when he over played the ball looking to try to score a goal when he should have taken a point. If we reach an All Ireland Final against Dublin an instance like that could win or lose the match.

Last player that came late into the system was Paul Murphy in 2014 I think he was 22 when he got his chance.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

He's ahead of Geaney as a half forward anyway. Tommy Walsh days as a stater are over and he's impact is better coming on. Spillane is the same seems to be much bettter coming on in a game. Burns imo has been given more than enough chances at this stage and just hav.t done it. Clifford is a very different sort of player to Tony Brosnan a well.

dobman88 wrote: »

Not a good look for Kerry GAA if true.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Not a good look for Kerry GAA if true.

How can 'kerry gaa' have anything to do with the actions of two individuals in their own time..?

How can 'kerry gaa' have anything to do with the actions of two individuals in their own time..?

Easy.

Its says two prominent GAA figures. Its not saying the accused did it.

Kerry GAA or the clubs in which the accused play have a lot to gain from this complaint going away, so its reasonable to assume that the "2 prominent" may have had a connection to either a GAA club in Kerry or Kerry GAA themselves.

The 2"individuals in their own time" were GAA Figures according to the article, so hardly 2 private individuals.

• Advertisement

In fairness, the way the article is written it sounds like someone from Kerry GAA made contact with Dan to offer the bribe, citing the potential the footballers had as excuse. It doesnt read like they contacted him themselves and offered to pay him off.

Advertisement