Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

cnoc wrote: »
    My Dell Vostro 3550 Laptop is losing time and date is 1 day behind since yesterday. 99% of the time it is plugged into the mains. Laptop is about 7 years old. Any suggestions please?

This happened to an old computer of mine when the motherboard battery was dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

cnoc wrote: »
    My Dell Vostro 3550 Laptop is losing time and date is 1 day behind since yesterday. 99% of the time it is plugged into the mains. Laptop is about 7 years old. Any suggestions please?

Replace the BIOS battery on the motherboard would be first guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

It is usually a large watch battery on the board. Easy fix if you can open the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

strange how forgetful you can become, I have an issue with my 'puter.

you know every time you open a new tab in the window you get a label at the top of the screen?

I have massive ones, and I can not remember how to get back to normal.. help

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

It is usually a large watch battery on the board. Easy fix if you can open the box.

I believe the Keypad in a Vostro 3550 has to be removed in this model?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Rubecula wrote: »
    strange how forgetful you can become, I have an issue with my 'puter.

you know every time you open a new tab in the window you get a label at the top of the screen?

I have massive ones, and I can not remember how to get back to normal.. help

Do you mean on the internet? Are you using Firefox, Vivaldi, or something else?

I use something else newy but I am on windows 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Rubecula wrote: »
    I use something else newy but I am on windows 10

Is there a ^ beside the tabs? If so click it.

I knew that he lied :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The cursor on my Lenovo has disappeared,how to I get it back,it is it possible to click some other way

• Advertisement

The cursor on my Lenovo has disappeared,how to I get it back,it is it possible to click some other way

As in the little white arrow pointer has disappeared entirely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Try using Mouse Properties Pointers or Pointer Options to see how you could change it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try using Mouse Properties Pointers or Pointer Options to see how you could change it.

....using your keyboard and arrows and tabs to get there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

As in the little white arrow pointer has disappeared entirely?

Yes

Weird question, but, are you looking at something in full screen? Sometimes that makes the cursor disappear. If you are, try pressing F11, it should resize the windows, and, theoretically, it should bring back the cursor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

It's possible that
    a) a driver has become corrupt
    b) a driver has been overwritten
    c) the pointer/track pad has failed
    d) somethingb else entirely.

Get/plug in a usb mouse and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Were you using a second display recently and it's displaying the cursor on a second screen that isn't there anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

This is a bug, your Mouse driver is disabling itself, you need to find it in settings and enable it, happens a lot with Windows 10

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

I've had so many hiccups over the last few days, and general problems for months, that rather than cursing and sighing I've decided to learn this stuff.
    Ok I know its Christmas but better to start now than put it off for the NY.

My plan is
    1. Read this thread from start to finish or actually from finish back to start. Started that today.
    2. Do some online learning about the OS which is Windows 10; Ive read a third of TutorialsPoint Windows 10 Beginners this morning (OK I am an a early riser 'cos when you're 67 there isn't a lot of time left).
    Thats it.
    Any other suggestions? TIA

Maybe take a look on YouTube, they often have tutorials of people explaining things step by step (for instance, thanks to one of those I was able to disassemble, clean and reassemble my laptop, which is something I would have never done alone. It was still working after that, too!). The only thing is, some people are more knowledgeable than others, so it can be a bit of a hit and miss. :)

• Advertisement

PMBC wrote: »
    I've had so many hiccups over the last few days, and general problems for months, that rather than cursing and sighing I've decided to learn this stuff.
    Ok I know its Christmas but better to start now than put it off for the NY.

My plan is
    1. Read this thread from start to finish or actually from finish back to start. Started that today.
    2. Do some online learning about the OS which is Windows 10; Ive read a third of TutorialsPoint Windows 10 Beginners this morning (OK I am an a early riser 'cos when you're 67 there isn't a lot of time left).
    Thats it.
    Any other suggestions? TIA

Good luck to you in your learning.
    You will meet some obstacles on the way ..... completely not understanding things that you believe should be simple, but perseverance is the key.
    When reading about some new concept read through first to get an 'overall' impression of what it is all about.
    You can then go back and read again to get more understanding of it, and eventually you will find you understand quite a bit of it.
    Reading different articles about the same subject can oftentimes provide an 'eureka moment' in your understanding.

One aspect I would encourage ..... do not ignore the hardware.
    For better understanding of what is going on you should have an appreciation of the hardware used and how it all works together.

Last but not least ..... try to find someone more knowledgeable than you locally and 'pick their brains' at every opportunity. :)

Most of all ...... have fun while learning! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Thanks John Boy and New Home and points taken. I have used YouTube for various bits and other learning sites like (?) gfc. In the distant past myself and son replaced memory in an old PC and he is my tech adviser now, thats when I can get hold of him.
    My experience with IT has been learning by doing and iterative approach. Alos making up Dummy Cards until the topic/problem is well embedded - embedded in my head that is.
    One of the most useful things I ever found was Ctrl + C etc for copying pasting. So here goes. This afternoon's visit to the local library just resourced me with Win 10 for Seniors so Im on the way!

PMBC wrote: »
    Thanks John Boy and New Home and points taken. I have used YouTube for various bits and other learning sites like (?) gfc. In the distant past myself and son replaced memory in an old PC and he is my tech adviser now, thats when I can get hold of him.
    My experience with IT has been learning by doing and iterative approach. Alos making up Dummy Cards until the topic/problem is well embedded - embedded in my head that is.
    One of the most useful things I ever found was Ctrl + C etc for copying pasting. So here goes. This afternoon's visit to the local library just resourced me with Win 10 for Seniors so Im on the way!

I do so hate titles like that.
    Bloody unnecessarily ageist IMO. :mad:

Hopefully the content is good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I have a new to me (2nd hand) laptop on the way. It is running Windows 10. What's the best way to give it a clean* before using it. It has lots of utilities on it but nearly all are free so I don't mind loosing them. Just want to be safe security wise.

TIA. Kat1170

No, not the dishwasher type of clean lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I have a new to me (2nd hand) laptop on the way. It is running Windows 10. What's the best way to give it a clean* before using it. It has lots of utilities on it but nearly all are free so I don't mind loosing them. Just want to be safe security wise.

TIA. Kat1170

No, not the dishwasher type of clean lol ;)
    I find Advanced Uninstaller Pro good. It has a lot of tools besides the uninstaller function (e.g. Registry Cleaner, Registry Optimizer). Just ignore the Daily Health Check prompts that pop up occasionally.

Switch Microsoft Security Essentials on (if it's still called that). With that running, you don't really need a third-party antivirus suite.

After your clean-up, defragment the hard drive.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Esel wrote: »
    I find Advanced Uninstaller Pro good. It has a lot of tools besides the uninstaller function (e.g. Registry Cleaner, Registry Optimizer). Just ignore the Daily Health Check prompts that pop up occasionally.

Switch Microsoft Security Essentials on (if it's still called that). With that running, you don't really need a third-party antivirus suite.

After your clean-up, defragment the hard drive.

Factory wipe???

That's what I'd do.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi and Help....
    My daughter has a Fujitsu laptop, and she needs microsoft for school work. I did a quick google search and saw lots of different
    options of how to buy it. Need advise on where to source the package please.
    Its a Fujitsu laptop, bought in 2016. The only stickers on it are Intel inside Core i3. and livebook A Series.
    (have.nt a clue what these mean.....LOL....)

Thanks in advance......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You might get more answers if you post the question here:

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/9

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Thanks Esel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Hi and Help....
    My daughter has a Fujitsu laptop, and she needs microsoft for school work. I did a quick google search and saw lots of different
    options of how to buy it. Need advise on where to source the package please.
    Its a Fujitsu laptop, bought in 2016. The only stickers on it are Intel inside Core i3. and livebook A Series.
    (have.nt a clue what these mean.....LOL....)

Thanks in advance......

Microsoft Office? For writing, maths calculations etc?

Personally I'd just get LibreOffice for free. You can save anything in the usual file types.

If it must be MS Office, I'm sure you can get a Office365 subscription direct from microsoft, student version is often cheap/free if I remember correctly

Info here

Advertisement