Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options
1606162636466»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you have a trackpad then make sure you have the "disable trackpad while typing" option ticked otherwise your wrists will move the cursor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

I bought a wireless mouse for my laptop and disabled the touchpad altogether. Depending on the way you type and the layout of the laptop keyboard itself, typing can be a right PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

That is a common problem for me, and there is a setting on my personal laptop to turn off the touchpad for a second when it detects keys being pressed. I assume you are on Windows. Let me do a quick google for a windows based solution for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Had a quick look but could only find touchpad by searching for it, then the only option was to switch off the touchpad completely (use keyboard or mouse instead). I will go back and search somemore later.

• Advertisement

If you can't find these options, try the second method:

Open Settings > Bluetooth & Devices > Mouse > Additional Mouse settings, you should see the touchpad manufacturer tab or its options under the "Hardware" tab, on it, you should be able to change the desired option

I was in there, I will have another look but I didn't see anything about touchpads anywhere in Settings until I did a search, then the info was not very helpful.

Edit: Ok, did another hunt and found it, only to find that 'hide pointer while typing' was ticked.

Post edited by looksee on

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

I am guilty of never turning off the laptop... close the lid OK and take power cable out at night. So when it starts acting (sometime just freezes) up that is usually the cause, it needs to do updates when turned back on. Sometimes it can be hard to get it to close espec when in frozen mode so hold the power button down for good few seconds to get it to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

This is not good practice. You should fully shutdown your laptop at least once a week. Your laptop regularly freezing is not normal behaviour (there is no "frozen mode"), it's a sign that something is going wrong, perhaps as a result of being mistreated. Regularly holding down the power button to shutdown your laptop is not a good idea. Holding down the power button until it shuts off, abruptly cuts the power, rather than performing a safe shutdown. Eventually you will cut power to your laptop while it is doing something important. You might lose data or corrupt your hard drive entirely. It's a last resort to get your laptop to shutdown when nothing else will work, not a handy way to power off quickly.

Not just corrupt the hard drive, if it is writing to disk when the power is cut, it can destroy the hard drive.

I leave my laptop on all the time. My OS handles updates very differently to Windows. It never freezes and I reboot it once a month or so.

But thats just me. For a windows machine, I agree with your advice, it should be rebooted about once a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I just realised that the email address on mygovid is my old, long dead eircom.net one. It seems it can't be changed and that I have to close my account and open a new one in order to use my new email address 🙄

I presume if I do this all my information regarding. welfare, revenue etc will be exactly the same as my old as account as it's all linked to my PPS number ??

On a different theme, once you've logged into mygoveid everything is there and accessable but, my god, they made it hard work to get that far 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

had similar experience when I moved to UK and changed my phone number. When signing on to MyGov it then sent a verification code to my old phone, which was now gone! Couldnt get on in order to change my number .... So I rang them and took a while to get to speak to a human but it got sorted int he end. Maybe same for an old unusable email? Cant remember the number, but im sure a quick google will reveal it

I think it actually says somewhere - or I spoke to someone who told me, can't recall (! this is O&O) that you have to close one and open another account. I had to do it too.

For the same eircom.net reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

For no reason my screen adopted shadows, how may I fix this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Did you mean to attach that cert there? If so, I see no shadows on that image. Try taking a photo of the screen showing the shadows instead?

Also, are you running a PC with an older monitor which has a 15 pin VGA cable? If so, try remove it from the PC and screen and then reattach it on both ends. If you have another monitor and cable, try swap them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

I restarted my computer and all is fine now, thank anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Recently had to download a couple of apps to my phone (never had to use them before) and now I discover I've lost some photos. The photos are now showing as blank squares. Is there any way to get them back?

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Are you signed into your phone with a Google or Apple account? If yes, then they might be available via the relevant Photos service

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Advertisement