Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Unfortunately, she has to get the microsoft, some of the teachers use it for corrections. Daughter submits homework,via microsoft, and
    it is corrected in that software.
    Thanks for link.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Hi and Help....
    My daughter has a Fujitsu laptop, and she needs microsoft for school work. I did a quick google search and saw lots of different
    options of how to buy it. Need advise on where to source the package please.
    Its a Fujitsu laptop, bought in 2016. The only stickers on it are Intel inside Core i3. and livebook A Series.
    (have.nt a clue what these mean.....LOL....)

Thanks in advance......

Check with the school, they may have a site licence or student discount available for whatever your daughter needs for schoolwork.

What does she need? Is she learning his to use specific Microsoft applications as part if her schoolwork or us it just needed for doing up projects, reports and presentations?

If the latter there are free open source alternatives such as LibreOffice available or google docs which is useful if she nerds to share or collaborate with classmates.

Hi FishOnABike,
    Unfortunately, it has to be microsoft....some teachers are using it for homework corrections, and for projects.
    Thanks for advise......

Unfortunately, she has to get the microsoft, some of the teachers use it for corrections. Daughter submits homework,via microsoft, and
    it is corrected in that software.
    Thanks for link.....

Has the school listed exact requirements for what is needed? If students are expected to conform to the schools requirements the school needs to specify its requirements properly, down to application, version and, if formatting is important in any documents submitted what fonts to use.

It can only be guessed what the school means by saying the students need the Microsoft.

I.l email teacher and ask for specs........

• Advertisement

I.l email teacher and ask for specs........

If it's Office 365 Education, (office suite of applications - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Microsoft Teams) then you can download that for free from
    https://products.microsoft.com/en-ie/student/office-in-education
    but that's the sort of information I would expect a school to provide upfront, together with the school email address needed to sign up to it if that's what they're using.

My own children's school used moodle and gave out a detailed step by step handout on how to install and setup whatever was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just to try help clear this up a bit, OUTDOORLASS. Microsoft Office is just an Office application/program that's used to create, open and edit certain types of files.

It's the types of files that is the important bit.

Myself and FishOnABike have both mentioned LibreOffice which is another Office application, there are a few others too. All of these Office applications will enable you to create, open and edit nearly all of the same file types. So with that in mind, you can create a new writing document file with LibreOffice at home and save it as a .doc or .docx (these are the file types) etc. This file can then be opened by somebody (teacher) using Microsoft Office and they won't know a different application was used to create it.

If I remember correctly, MS Office is now a monthly subscription of about €7. LibreOffice is €0.

Thanks theteal, one of the teachers for LCVP, has told me daughter that she will fail this project in her Leaving if she does.nt have
    Microsoft, because that is what she uses for corrections for the LCVP project. So it.l have to be microsoft. The work is sent to the
    teacher, she corrects it, and when you get it back, you can see the corrections.
    My daughter did the homework the other day, sent it to the teacher, who sent it back, but because we did.nt have microsoft onthe
    laptop, we could.nt see where the corrections had been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Best to get a microsoft office subscription, It can be installed on up to 6 machines I think for the same price per month

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/p/office-365-home/cfq7ttc0k5dm?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Go to ebay and search for "Microsoft Office" and a copy can be got for a few Euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

muffler wrote: »
    Go to ebay and search for "Microsoft Office" and a copy can be got for a few Euros

Or do the same on adverts.ie

theteal wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, MS Office is now a monthly subscription of about €7. LibreOffice is €0.
    I'd normally plug the open source options. But Microsoft Office 365 Education A1 version has a free option.

Office 365 Education comes in three flavours, the online version (A1 option) is free to staff and students of accredited schools, but you need to be online to use it. A3 option allows you install applications so you can work offline, but this has a monthly subscription of €2.45 + vat per month. A5 option adds advanced security, compliance and analytics for €5.90 + vat per month.

It's all academic (pun intended) until the school clarifies what it needs.

Muffler, I went to ebay, saw some deals... Say the likes of endof the line scotland...had the Professional 2019 on sale for 8.50 (I think)
    would that be per month, or a once off price. Sorry for silly question, I.v never used ebay.... I.m a bricks and mortar shopper !!

Just to add, I.m really thankful for the answers from everybody.....

Since LibreOffice is free it might be worth downloading to check if it is suitable. It can track changes and compare documents.

If the teacher is editing a word document using the "Track changes" option Libre Office will show those changes.

You can get LibreOffice from
    https://www.libreoffice.org
    Just make sure any documents created are saved as Word 2007 - 2019 (.docx) format.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

Muffler, I went to ebay, saw some deals... Say the likes of endof the line scotland...had the Professional 2019 on sale for 8.50 (I think) would that be per month, or a once off price.

I'd assume price per month based on how new it is and the fact that it's professional.

Do you want to post or PM the link and we'll check it out and give an answer if we can find it.

Just to say, I'm not entirely convinced that the teacher knows what they're talking about either. This talk of automatic failing is a bit OTT.

I.d agree with you RoamingDoc.........def OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Muffler, I went to ebay, saw some deals... Say the likes of endof the line scotland...had the Professional 2019 on sale for 8.50 (I think)
    would that be per month, or a once off price. Sorry for silly question, I.v never used ebay.... I.m a bricks and mortar shopper !!
    Most likely a one off payment but you would need to read the conditions of sale. As stated there could be a monthly charge given the fact that its a brand new edition of Office but most of the sellers on Ebay work on a life time subscription for a one off payment.

Unfortunately Im not into the technicalities of these things but about 2 years ago I bought a copy of MS Office 2016 which was probably only a year old at that stage and it cost the grand total of €6. Have been using it since and have never had to pay any additional money.

Most of the listings on Ebay appear to be legit as the sellers claim they are merely removing the programmes from old PCs that are being upgraded / recycled. In fact I even get regular software updates from Microsoft for it so I dont think that would happen if it wasnt a legal copy. In any event the ads would be removed if there was anything dodgy about them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I can absolutely guarantee you that the teacher would not be able to tell the difference between a .doc (or .docx) created in Microsoft Word or one created in Libre Office Writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

That would always have been my understanding too.

Fair enough for them not to know about it, but they really shouldn't be making things up like this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think it might have been just a matter of clicking on "Review" and "Show Markups"/"Reviewing pane", or something like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Question..... I have an email thread printed out. And then there is another email added to the thread that I also need printed.. How do I just print the last email without printing out the whole thread again. Is there an Option in Outlook 2010 to print only sections of an email thread.

Or is there a paid add-on I can get that would be recommended??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No*, unless it was sent to you in the first place. However, what you can do is to select the part you want with your mouse, and when you print you can select "Print selected area" (or something like that) instead of "Print full document/Page/etc.). Otherwise, let's say that the part you want is on page 3 and 4, then in print options you can choose to print just page n. 3 and 4.

*Edit: Sorry, I just realised you specifically asked about Outlook, and I wouldn't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Take a screenshot and print that. Quick and dirty, but still a fix.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Since LibreOffice is free it might be worth downloading to check if it is suitable. It can track changes and compare documents.

If the teacher is editing a word document using the "Track changes" option Libre Office will show those changes.

You can get LibreOffice from
    https://www.libreoffice.org
    Just make sure any documents created are saved as Word 2007 - 2019 (.docx) format.

This to me would be the first move before buying anything.

If LibreOffice does all that is required, then keep it installed, and if not remove it and get something else.

################################################################

[rant]
    It is a pet hate of mine how general use of office software is tied to MS products (mostly) by those who have little knowledge. (MS of course promotes this)
    Heck I remember when the European Computer driving licence was first rolled out ...... a mate did it and apparently got 95% in some tests.
    I can tell you he was clueless with computer hardware; he was as clueless with software except for the few things he had learned about MS writer or excel or whatever.
    He certainly did not understand what he was doing, and once the interface changed a bit in the next version of the software he was completely lost.

[I am inclined to categorise this teacher's 'laying down the law and issuing threats' in the same category of cluelessness. Unless the course is a course on the use of MS software!]

The ECDL course at the time, IMO, had nothing at all to do with computers, but was a promotional scheme for one brand of office software.
    I have no idea what it is like now .....

[/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

This to me would be the first move before buying anything.

If LibreOffice does all that is required, then keep it installed, and if not remove it and get something else.

################################################################

[rant]
    It is a pet hate of mine how general use of office software is tied to MS products (mostly) by those who have little knowledge. (MS of course promotes this)
    Heck I remember when the European Computer driving licence was first rolled out ...... a mate did it and apparently got 95% in some tests.
    I can tell you he was clueless with computer hardware; he was as clueless with software except for the few things he had learned about MS writer or excel or whatever.
    He certainly did not understand what he was doing, and once the interface changed a bit in the next version of the software he was completely lost.

[I am inclined to categorise this teacher's 'laying down the law and issuing threats' in the same category of cluelessness. Unless the course is a course on the use of MS software!]

The ECDL course at the time, IMO, had nothing at all to do with computers, but was a promotional scheme for one brand of office software.
    I have no idea what it is like now .....

[/rant]

I did ECDL in TY in 2014 I think, same stuff, in fairness for Powerpoint, Excel and Word its pretty fantastic training, its very comprehensive and most of that stuff translates over to Libre and Google Office or whatever its called. The other 5 modules I can't remember a thing of, one of them was on Internet Explorer and was worthless.

As you said it's not actually teaching you anything just "how to do xyz in MS products" and if the ui changes then it's all useless, the non-tech people were lost if they accidentially opened Chrome or FF and didn't grasp there was a difference between them and IE, how its supposed to be a competency course is beyond me

You mightn't pass an ECDL test if you're using Libre but for almost anything else there's no difference

..........and even Microsoft Office Professional 2019 has bugs, as I encountered using MS Access (okay, not as much as used as Word / Excel / Powerpoint, but still used by some senior citizens I know). For techies, it was when I was trying to create a Query. This worked TWICE, but on my third attempt I got an error message, if I re create it again I will post pic here. I'd expect more for what I paid for this.

I have come to the view that all schools should have classes with 'hands on' experience for students during a suitable year.
    Basic mechanics ...... strip and rebuild an old banger of a car ..... see if it could be got running.

Strip and rebuild some desktop PCs and see if they run.

Install different operating systems on the PCs and install software in those.

If time permits write some software and run it.
    Maybe build an app or two ....

After which the students would have a very basic knowledge of how some things work and might even spark their interest in something they had no considered.

Heck such classes might even promote more 'common sense' :D:D

OK, that was a bit OT so I will stop there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I stream a football match/film etc to a 50" HD television.

I stream the same thing to my mobile phone.

Do they use the same amount of data on my broadband plan?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I stream a football match/film etc to a 50" HD television.

I stream the same thing to my mobile phone.

Do they use the same amount of data on my broadband plan?

I guess it depends on your understanding of what that means.

If you streamed a 720p stream at the same bit rate and in the same format (="the same thing") then yes regardless what you 'do' with the data you received you will of course have downloaded the same amount of data.

If you streamed a lesser resolution for the phone and maybe a more highly compressed form with lower bit rate, then no, they would not be "the same thing" and thus would not, most likely, cause the same amount of data to be downloaded.

Advertisement