Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Aer Lingus is very largely a Dublin-focused airline and, unless there is more money to be made somewhere else, Dublin is going to be its priority. Ryanair has a completely different model of operation, with a complex and diverse web of routes all over Europe, served from multiple bases. I would suggest that Cork is just another small/medium-sized city that it serves, rather than somewhere that Ryanair is particularly devoted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Looking at flightradar and most of the EI transatlantic are very late today. Any idea what happened?

I have checked it irregularly over the past few weeks and delays seem to be more common than not. What is happening that this is the case? Is it the same for other airlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Suprised Ryanair are still commercially running the kerry-dublin route, surely they aren't making any money from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

A quick look at yesterdays departure board shows almost every single flight from Dublin, from all airlines, was running late. The North American carriers are no strangers to delays in recent days either; Delta experienced some 2 hour delays, and Air Canada had a whopping 5.5 hour delay to Toronto.

Not sure of the exact cause but would hazard a guess that the recent pressures from weather and ongoing staff shortages continue to impact schedules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

It seems the entire reason for the cold spell we have experienced was due to the pattern of the jet streams in the upper atmosphere.

Usually they are blowing eastwards from US to here, over the last few weeks they have been much further south and therefore of no benefit to planes heading eastwards and especially to make up time.

They are back on their usual trajectory now so it will be interesting to see will their timing improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

From the Indo article:

“Staff were told that Aer Lingus is likely to cease operating the route, which it has served for 15 years, by March 26. The issue does not impact Aer Lingus regional flights, operated by Emerald Airlines, which has an extensive network out of Belfast.”

Any chance that emerald could lease a couple of Embraers much like what Stobart did when they operated for BACF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

If 2 weekly services are something to celebrate we really are at the bottom of the barrel. EI's schedule is something to be ignored in comparison to FR's expansion.

Anyone know why EI-EDS is missing a wingtip fence? Unusual to see an A320 back in service without one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

My J seat from IAD yesterday was missing a shoulder strap (not sure how it got to DC without it), but basically until engineering came and installed a new one I'd have had to get off (full flight), any idea why that's a hard rule for J seats when otherwise it's the same as a Y seat with the lap belt (that worked)? Captain seemed like a reasonable guy but obviously he has to follow policy (my Plan B was to ask for the jump seat! 😁)

FA said its going back to a 330 from May too, interested to see if they keep the double daily. The FAs really really hate the 321LR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Doesn’t the strap contain the airbag to protect you from the consoles in case of an overrun etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Shamrockj

Shoulder strap is required on NEO business seats as it’s not fitted with airbag like on A330. It’s required to restrain your upper body in case of sudden stop as there is bigger distance to the seat in front compared to economy where you wouldn’t fly forward as much.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Thats up there with describing the A320neo as "50% less noisy"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Seat was probaly empty on the inbound so no-one noticed. (still odd though)

The A321neo seats dont have the airbag that the A330 seats do. And as the distance from your face to the screen is less that 80cm* (Im very vague on the actual number required) EASA require a shoulder strap to stop you hitting your head in a full brake/emergency stop situation. If the EI seats had only 4 rows rather than 5 then there would be enough space for your body to jackknife over the lapbelt and miss impacting the screen. (pleasant thoughts)

(I met the head engineer of Thompson at a conference a few years back, lovely guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I know this is ages away but does anyone know when November 2023 goes on sale with Aerlingus.

Absolutely understand the summer schedule has only been fully announced. Ryanair have flights on sale for November but recently I've found Aerlingus much better value so would rather wait

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

• Advertisement

Ei dej now in New livery no other aircraft replaced it in Shannon probably resume after Christmas

Technical problems some passenger heard banging from the the engine not long back from maintenance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I received the video being forwarded on WhatsApp that shows firery explosions blowing out the back of the engine as the aircraft climbs over New York

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Textbook compressor stall

• Advertisement

It's over a month since the aircraft returned from maintenance in Bordeaux and it has made more than 60 transatlantic crossings since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just think on the 30th anniversary of Home Alone 2, there's a bunch of people stuck in snowy New York , not able to get a flight home . All that's needed now is Donald Trump to make an appearance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I happened to spot that EI45 MAN-JFK operated westbound today (December 25).

I wonder if EI will ever operate flights out of Ireland on Christmas Day...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think its kind of nice there's no ops on the 25th, secular thoughts aside.

Either way, they'd need to the get the DAA on board & I'd say that's the biggest hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Shamrockj

Shannon airport is open on the 25th and they choose not to operate any flights on the 25th. So maybe its not just because the DAA closes Dublin on the 25th.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Many UK airports open Xmas day and many airlines choose not to operate on that day. Including Ryanair who don’t operate anywhere in Europe as far as I know, nothing to do with airports being open/closed, one day off out of 365, no harm in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Shannon is open as its needed for diversions and as an ETOPS alternate or else things get interesting.

Ryanair doesn't operate the first wave off Dublin on the 26th either, EI do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Dublin is available for emergencies on Christmas day.

In previous years when I’ve heard this discussed the consensus was so few people in Ireland would want to travel on the 25th that opening up and staffing the terminals would be a loss maker, as would virtually all flights that operated, so it isn’t deemed worthwhile.

There’s an enormous drop in overflights too so there’s merit in the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yes our position western europe means the main Irish airports are in a lot of diversion plans so having them dark means a lot of preplanned things cant happen if an emergency occurs. As goingnowhere points out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Noxegon

It's going to be hard to form any legitimate conclusions about how many people would or would not want to travel on Christmas Day if that option has never been available.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭john boye

Ryanair actually had some departures in the first wave this morning, albeit a much reduced operation

A German Learjet operated ACE-DUB yesterday so ATC and presumably fire and rescue services were available - no doubt on a skeleton basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

With BHD-LHR expected to end in March, EI have placed the followng additional DUB service on sals.

08.45-10.15 and the return 15.10-16.35.

They have also drpped the W rotation from LGW schedule and the above gap is the prefect block time for a NOC rotation and the current NOC-LGW times just happen to fit in nicely!

LGW-NOC 10:55-12.:30

NOC-LGW 13:00-14:35

That would leave them with just an evening slot to use or lease.

All just speculation at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 theskeptic

Would be nice to see a NOC-LHR service but at the same time the LGW route has really established itself and been a consistent part of the network for over a decade now, moving it to LHR risks its long term viability if it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭sherology

Good to see EAV back in Dublin. Was it fixed (proper) in New York or is it still awaiting repair?

She’s all good now yeah.

They didn’t even shut the engine down at the time. I presume a borescope was done to make sure there was no damage before flying her home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

It's been suggested over on the one of the fb page that it still might not be 100% due to the route it took home over Greenland for Etops reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭shamrocka330

Don’t know why, but it’s very frustrating to see EI-NSA already has a mismatched engine cowling after only a few months!

• Advertisement

EI never had any neos in the old livery so must be an unpainted one direct from Airbus. With the repainting ramping up again the mismatches will quickly disappear

It is frustrating, especially as it’ll likely stay that way for years to come now, EI-CVA for example has had more white than green on its engines since mid-2019.

I genuinely had no idea cowlings were changed so often!

Elsewhere, EI-EDS has had its multiple white cowlings corrected into the new livery recently. It also got its briefly missing wingtip fence replaced, although this is now grey.

I understand….just think it’s typical of EI, who have had a mismatched livery for the past few years, get a brand new aircraft and then within a few months it has a different engine cowling!

They were broadcasting these new NEOs across their social media only a few months ago and now the customer sees it and thinks it’s an old aircraft with spare parts added to it. Am I correct in saying that EI-NSB now has the wrong colour emergency slide door over the wing? Two new aircraft, brand new, and both have patches on them - you wouldn’t see this in any other airline.

I get that covid got in the way of the repaint schedule but if you go back to the beginning, EI-EDY was rolled out first in the new livery, was used for all the PR and then within a few months had the wrong engine cowling.

Maybe I’m being harsh but the lack of detail and pride across the entire airline is poor and this is another, albeit small, example.

It’s nothing to do with pride, it’s down to cost. Repainting spare parts is waaaaay down the list of priorities. What would you think if your flight was cancelled because the airline didn’t have a spare cowling in a matching colour so couldn’t get the frame back into service? You’d rightly be p*ssed!

There are multiple United aircraft flying around today with the new livery and mismatching cowlings/radoms/winglets, when AA were repainting the fleet again, countless aircraft in the new livery with winglets in the old livery and Delta even had 3 different liveries flying at once.

The pic below is a Lufthansa 320 with a mismatched cowling. It’s something every airline has to do at some point and something 99.99% of traveler's don’t notice one bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

No not at all, you're not harsh!

The new livery has divided opinion, and I, personally am not a fan of it.

It doesn't look attractive, and it doesn't inspire anything remotely aesthetic of the brand.

The Shamrock is (sort of) attractive, but the lack of teal and green on the fueslage is a big disappointment.

The 1996 livery is still very refreshing, and it only needed a small update similar to that of the current KLM livery.

I actually despise the new livery.

That must be a very recent development. It was photographed at LHR on 29 December with everything matching.

https://flic.kr/p/2o8Ar4f

• Advertisement

Saw it on BigJetTV earlier today with the odd looking engine cowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Astral Nav

Aircraft parked up for 1.5 years with big plastic bags over the engines. Condensation and then apparently corrosion. Suite a lot of mismatched cowls over Europe this last year.

Ironically passing a Virgin Atlantic A350 with its own mismatched cowling.

You must have made a mistake.”, according to an earlier irate poster “you wouldn’t see this in any other airline.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The CFM Leap engines are massive in comparison to the aircraft size in that picture. Would it be far to say they're wider than the original 747 JT9D engine ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement