Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

As a consumer in recent months I’m not sure that I’d trust EI with any booking at all.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

This is EI's biggest challenge. They want people to book, then they cancel, then people won't book with them again. They're contributing to their own demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

And what concerns me is they are putting out internal videos where senior execs are patting each other on the backs and the operation resembles a sh*t show through their actions. It's deeply unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I mean, technically the operational side of the business is doing pretty good in terms of on time performance and actual schedule reliability, consistently in the high 90s for months but that’s easily done when you’re running such a trimmed back schedule overall.

The advanced cancellations of preliminary schedules which should never have been put on sale arguably impact far fewer passengers but still leave a very bad taste for a number of passengers and have undoubtably created an air of uncertainty around the airline even when it’s actual operated flights are performing well.

The catering debacle looks set to rumble on into winter which is a shocking situation management have seemingly allowed to continue with no end in sight. Does IAG not care one of its carriers are wilfully missing out on a major revenue source?!

You would think. In other news the CFO is out and IAG Cargo CFO is inbound.

• Advertisement

Ah so it appears Aer Lingus has well and truly fallen to IAG’s policy of management musical chairs. It’s like a conveyor belt of mediocre managers from Britain to Ireland and back to Britain again, with a few years added in Spain if you’re lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

"The advanced cancellations of preliminary schedules which should never have been put on sale arguably impact far fewer passengers but still leave a very bad taste for a number of passengers and have undoubtably created an air of uncertainty around the airline even when it’s actual operated flights are performing well."

It's left more than a bad taste. I know several people who are so fed up with flights being cancelled, even though they've been flexible with their dates, that they've sworn not to fly with them again where possible AND to try to persuade others.

One thing that's really wrong is charging the passenger the difference in fare if the flight is moved/cancelled.

I mean, they've given you their money, bought a ticket for a certain price you offered it, then YOU go and cancel it & put another on in a month or six weeks or so at a higher price, but you won't honour the original price you sold it to them for??? That's some bullshit right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

In case anyone is interested: I mentioned before that I was due to fly to Miami with EI in December. I discovered this week that the flights were officially cancelled on 24th August yet I had still not heard anything from EI. Anyway, I rang EI this week. After about an hour on the phone, I was able to get a refund. The operator was not able to reroute me because he could only reroute me to another direct flight and there are now none to Miami. I asked whether I could be rerouted to Orlando as this is direct. He tried but said I would need to pay a very hefty fare difference.

Anyway, at least I was able to get a refund. Still waiting on a voucher for another pair of flights to the US after EI changed to an itinerary that does not suit.

I know I’m only a drop in the ocean for EI but I’ve determined to avoid flying transatlantic with them in future, which I do at least twice a year. I’ll go for Delta, AA or United (in that order) in future, assuming they will still be flying from Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Unbelievable they wouldn’t re-route you on a partner airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Or on their own metal to Orlando and keep the cash, especially after this bad service.

• Advertisement

Read the terms and conditions of your ticket. Also he was offered the Orlando flight but at significant cost to him as per T&C's. He did get his money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

Today EI-EIN operated DUB-AMS-DUB-IAH, there is another flight tomorrow also operating the same. Could this be the first time an EI aircraft has operated into Houston ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

BMW spares. There is a BMW factory near Houston assembling cars for the US market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I’m not saying EI we’re in breach of the T&C, they honoured their end. My point is, airlines are only starting to get real revenue in, surely keeping the cash is in their interest. I get the yields were higher on the Orlando route but giving out cash and losing a customer happy to switch doesn’t sound like the best plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

KLM Just announced this morning that it will resume the Amsterdam flight in Cork when the airport opens, But also will Increase to twice a day!

0600 & 1315 to Amsterdam

1200 & 2120 to Cork

have Aer lingus dropped the ball on this I wonder? This is great as i can go back to doing one night trips rather than 2 or 3! And from cork rather dublin!

Post edited by Board Walker on

“have Aer lingus dropped the ball”

Just in general terms…. Yes, yes they have …

More evidence of their short haul market share being eroded from all sides. Aer Lingus is proving to be easy pickings for these European legacy carriers, they’re weak on every front; fares, schedule, aircraft and product.

Elsewhere, passengers connecting via the new Manchester long haul flights to/from Ireland will have to collect their bags, transfer between T1 & T2 and re-check in because there’s no airside baggage transfer facility at the airport. They’ve been heavily promoting their MAN ops as a great connection option for pax at DUB and BHD.

Everyday there seems to be a new negative development at Aer Lingus, it’s starting to look rudderless.

I referred to this last March, it worked out slightly different but that was when AF-KLM showed their intention. They are proposing a 2x Daily CDG service also with an early morning rotation ex-ORK from Mar next. EI have actually already ditched that route, AMS will follow and EI’s commitment to ORK will fall to one route.

Management really have played a blinder in alienating customers, staff and eroding network share. Give them a bonus I say!

There is a 72 hour flash sale with flights to BCN and CDG for €19.99 one way.

Hopefully it’s dawning on them they have to actually produce a schedule and promote it to sell tickets… and earn back some revenue and market share.

I really hope they launch an ambitious summer schedule for next year and promote it… but I’m not holding my breath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

After being messed around once too often they'll need more than promotion and scheduling to lure me back to their services.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

yawn

Aer Lingus has confirmed the return of San Francisco with a four weekly service from 12 December.

Comes a day after United reportedly drop plans for their SFO-DUB route.

Strange it starts back as 4 times a week from the 12th but operates 6 times a week around Christmas and then back to 4 a week until the middle of January and then finishes up again until February

https://ittn.ie/news/breaking-aer-lingus-to-resume-san-francisco-flight/?fbclid=IwAR3dT8IFwx9uN-7Z232YXeLYTFUb2z5PykYxgh8mwVq7HvHPQ_4nHqobqLc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

US open to vaccinated foreigners from November 8th. Great news for EI.

EI have unveiled an aggressive and ambitious plan this evening with significant capacity ramp up announced;

Dec 21 - 60% of 2019 level capacity will operate.

Mar 22 - 80% of 2019 level capacity will operate.

Jun 22 - 90% of 2019 level capacity will operate.

To bring certainty, the company is committing to schedules and pay restoration has been announced for employees. Good news for staff there. Next TA additions that I can see are LAX in Mar 22, SEA in Apr 22. A few Euro routes will return for Summer 2022 also.

Encouraging signs. However I expect most of their direct rivals will be in excess of their 2019 levels by June 22 so Aer Lingus will still be playing catch up and remain vulnerable to marketshare loss.

On the plus side, being back to 90% per pandemic levels by next summer essentially renders the “much smaller airline” narrative from management null and void. Aer Lingus can and should be targeting growth sooner rather than later.

Overall it’s good news for staff and the airline as a whole, particularly the commitment to schedules which has, as we’ve heard, been a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coupons1987

Anyone know what happened to EI487 from Lisbon last night ? It returned shortly after takeoff and is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭x567

That is encouraging.

Any intel on when we might see a viable EI SNN/LHR schedule for business travellers? At the moment if you have a middle of the day meeting and want to fly with EI you have to spend two nights in London or drive to/from Dublin. Or hope your meeting happens to be on one of the days when Ryanair has an early outbound from SNN to STN and late return from LGW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I have been burned twice with Aer Lingus schedule changes and then no response re refunds. I am rapidly losing trust in them as a brand. Fancy some flights at Christmas but cannot trust that they will not change schedules again. Poor form.

Advertisement