Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,108 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No 330neo?!!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭x567

IAG’s management should have a serious think about what their airlines are trying to be. In my view this applies particularly to EI who seem to me to be focused on either trying to compete with FR in Europe, or on cheap TA flights. For the former, go on to FR24 and apply a filter to only show FR aircraft Europe-wide. Then do the same for EI. See the difference?

EI has to compete with FR to a degree, but at the disproportionate flight volumes, I would suggest that product differentiation might be as important as price. I would love to see a return to UK/European business class of some sort, whether it’s the sliding curtain and mid-seat block-out per Aerspace or BA Club, or a better hard product per AA/DL.

I fear a ‘compete with FR’ mindset has influenced decisions on the A321LR layout where as others have commented validly above, the urge to squeeze in the maximum possible economy seats detracts from the customer experience. This may be fine if you’re after european bucket-and-spade routes, but not TA in my view. It’s not good for the pax-ex or crew.

There’s some implied criticism of the A321 above. The plane is fine, I had yet another very pleasant flight on the 111 last week with absolutely no complaints. The mainstream US carriers are backing the plane to replace their 757s, some with exciting cabin configuration plans, for example AA’s 50 XLRs will have 20 business class ‘Flagship suites’ and 12 premium economy seats as well as their ‘main cabin’ offering. I’m sure others will compete.

I think this is the market EI’s 321LRs and XLRs need to be in, whether in competition, or particularly in collaboration (with AA?). Sell ‘cheap’ TA tickets by all means, but also offer and focus on the better, differentiated products.

I really hope EI think carefully about the configuration of their XLRs and get it right (whether aligned with my view or otherwise). (And please, for those of us that travel long haul too often, join Oneworld in some way shape or form soon…!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm kind of astounded EI haven't leaned into the Premium Economy sector either, I saw KLM commenting that they were late to it & it appears from the US3 earnings calls that its a pretty decent money maker for them.

I actually think one of the challenges for EI transatlantic will be bumping up against capacity in preclearance, I certainly can't see too much room before 1pm for stands/throughput - even you were able to efficiently manage the stands you're probably asking people to show up 4+hrs before their flight and at the point you're almost better off doing immigration at the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

In a perverse way you could have people flying indirect to avoid preclearance!

MAN JFK is confirmed to move to the 333 from the 01 May 2023. EIRH will return to DUB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Just a thought about PE, and I say this knowing nothing at all.

EI operate their 330 flights with 8 crew. 2 in the front and 6 down the back.

I know Prem Economy is not a wholly seperate cabin but would you not need at least 1 or more crew to look after PE. Would 4 be enough for all the remainder of the economy cabin?

So that might put off the beancounters to have to pay someone else per flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Kcormahs

3rd in J works in economy too and starts in Economy (drinks service) before heading to Business so technically its 2 and a half in J!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭sherology

XLR further delayed to Q2 2024, so 2025 more likely for EI. The long haul fleet EI have likely to stay the same until then unless there's some 330s they can pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

EI don't really have PE, they just have 'preferred' seats, so there's no increase in service to give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 FR738

Shouldn’t matter as one or both of the current cabins would have to shrink to accommodate Y+. So if Y is shrunk then four or five might be enough and if J is shrunk (which is unlikely) then 2 would be enough.

I know this. The question was raised about EI introducing a hard Econ+ product and I was just spitballing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Aer Lingus chose the ACF configuration because at the time their config was confirmed their COO was a guy called Mike Rutter.

He is the cause of most (if not all) of the ongoing issues with EI. He decided the basic "off the shelf" cabin config. He decided to do away with cleaning on turnarounds, he reduced ground ops numbers so there is often a single staff member boaring a flight. He decided to massively reduce the food amount onboard shorthaul flights in order to "reduce wastage"

The B757 production line was closed done in 2004. At least a decade before the A321LR became a reality.

I think Continental only started using it Transatlantic in 2003-2005. Before that it was seen as a domestic aircraft in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I flew a 757 with Continental in 1999 to Newark.

Ah, I stand corrected.

I had read a report years and years ago and it seems to imply that B757 weren't a normal feature on TATL routes before 2001. The additional winglets improved the performance and they became a common sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

No worries. "Nerdingly" I have all my flights stored on openflights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Flew myself with CO to EWR in the late 90’s on a 757 (and 764). Up until 9/11 very few airlines flew them across the ditch, CO might have been the only one infact, but not long after the line closed they became a common sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Agreed with everything here.

I’m at a point in my life where I’d rather pay a bit more for a better experience flying. With the notable exception of FI’s 2-2 in the front on their KEF service, this isn’t an option on short haul out of DUB.

I’d be very surprised if EI couldn’t fill three or four rows of 2-2 with proper legroom at the front of their 320s.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭sherology

I agree fully. The aerspace brand and service offering on X rows of seats at the front, in a 2-2 hard-product (preferably; 'plush/embellished' economy seats if not) would be full. Why... People are paying for front rows, bags, food, lounge access etc. currently... Wrap it up and give it/them bit of exclusivity.

Doesn't need to have oodles of legroom, but a different seat indicates 'differentiation'. No need for a curtain... it's pretenious... hard-product and service.

Eurobusiness is a joke and so is semi-dying. Price 'aerspace' for the route-profile/customer profile, with avios/same-day upgrades if lightly filled.

Plenty of well-to-do people in Ireland (and those dubhub'ing) that literally can't spend their money (not me). Help them. EI management don't seem to have faith in it's ability to be a great boutique airline.

Post edited by sherology on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Looks like Cork have got 3 aircraft at the moment ei cvc dei dve

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Coffeelock2020

The Belfast based aircraft positioned into Cork last night -

looks like last of AGP flights for the season are being operated by Cork aircraft vs Dublin all summer, hence 3 aircraft operating temporarily and then back to 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

That is extraordinary. How one man can badly influence a product. In the past 90% of my flights were with EI. Now it is 50% - partly but not wholly influenced by a corporate contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I've just checked my travel log –– I have 48 flights recorded over the last three calendar years.

Aer Lingus appears four times in that list, and three of those were transatlantic. The other was operated by Emerald.

For purposes of comparison, Ryanair appears 19 times.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Pity the 3rd wasnt back permanently. Hopefully Emerald put a ATR back into ORK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Stobart Air were good from Cork, but I wouldn't want Emerald I don't think. Their on-time performance is still absolutely woeful. And its not just "the usual problems", its them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭kub

CVC is doing a W rotation from Cork/ LHR/ SNN/LHR/Cork expected to be back for 23:25 tonight.

Well STK are gone so you are SOL there. Some service is better than no service. I would 'expect' that they will use the winter schedule to sort things out and start afresh when the summer schedule starts next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Does Aer Lingus still have two A320neo on order directly from Airbus?

Obviously we know they've received two via CDB Leasing but as of Sep 30 there are still two listed on the Airbus orders & deliveries data with none showing as delivered. If so, be interesting to know the timescale of such a delivery!

• Advertisement

I know the 330 go to BOD for heavy checks. Does anyone no how long the 320/321 NEO take in the Hangar for a C check? How often are they checked?

Advertisement