Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sherology

Why 'if'? The noise/night-time use planning change is a change not a blocker-to-opening right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It depends on what 'cost' on the quota system it is to land a A330 basically, if EI can't land before 0600 they might as well give up now as the entire Dub hub model depends on it

Ryanair has a lot of late arrivals so again what is the cost to land a 737-800, EI gets most if not all home before midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The entire DUB Hub model depends on EI landing before 6:00am? Can't say I agree with that.

Looking through my flight log, I have three data points:

• EI108 JFK landed 08:30
    • EI124 ORD landed 08:15
    • EI146 SFO landed 11:40

Sure, JFK and BOS are usually in before 06:00 – but the rest were not.

If EI have to land at 06:00 they'll make it work.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭x567

I do tend to agree. Perhaps not the entire DUB Hub model, but getting the LRs and maybe the XLRs in early in time for them to do first-wave short hauls is probably important to their utilisation. And as a passenger, albeit usually into SNN in the rose-tinted past, I appreciate the very early arrivals from the east coast - often home in bed before 6am...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Quite a few Aer Lingus flights arrive before 06:00 at the moment. The schedule for tomorrow shows JFK, BOS, YYZ, ORD and EWR all arriving between 04:45 - 05:25 and that's a quiet November in a greatly reduced schedule. IAD is another pre 06:00 arrival, as is BDL should it ever return and I'd expect any new east coast cities launched in the future to also have early arrivals back into Dublin.

It's important for these flights to meet the first wave of UK and European departures, it's definitely a very important factor in the DUBHUB model for Aer Lingus.

Any proposed restrictions to operations will no doubt be strongly rejected by the DAA, Aer Lingus, Ryanair and pretty much every long haul carrier the airport has.

------------------

EI-LRH has now been re-registered G-EILH in prep for its move to Manchester. Flights to JFK begin on 1 December with a daily service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The first wave of EI Eastbounds off the NAT was the big one, they all came in very close together and well before 6am, especially in the winter. Any kind of curfew is not only non sensical, but extremely bad for the environment also with the inevitable holding in the winter mornings like at Heathrow. Pre COVID when the Shamrocks started calling in and popping up on my screen it was time to wake up because they tended to be at the head of the peak Eastbound wave

The West Coast flights come in a little later so as to allow a decent day’s work be done by passengers before departure, and also because of the time difference. The second flights from ORD, BOS and JFK come in later for obvious reasons.

My mistake, keep getting confused with the new UK registrations.

Wonder why EI-LRE is positioning? It was the aircraft used for the UK CAA proving flights a few months ago but I don't think it was one of the two earmarked for the UK operation, that one was EI-LRG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I believe EI want out of the DNATA contract or require a significantly different contact.

BA got a deal with a supplier, they provide the stock, evaluate demand, take the cost for waste. EI want the same, albeit will be selecting an Irish supplier.

Expect it to drag on for a few more months, don’t see them allowing it progress past the jump to 80% ops in March, they want and need to demonstrate revenue recovery for A/C plans.

Thanks for the info.

Dnata is a well respected global brand and should have been a safe bet for Aer Lingus' catering contract but it seems they bit off more than they could chew, excuse the pun. A year ago the company boasted how it was quadrupling capacity at Dublin Airport in response to winning the Aer Lingus contract, that's a huge expansion for any business to take on so it's no wonder there's been trouble along the way.

Looking at the timeline, Aer Lingus awarded the contract to Dnata in April 2020 with a start date for June but the new expanded facility at Dublin didn't open until September, that's a very tight schedule to get such a large operation off the ground. Did Aer Lingus rush the decision to quickly rid itself of catering costs, did Dnata over promise and under deliver or was it simply ill prepared to take on a contract of this size?

On the positive side there seems to be less complaints about stock levels compared to a few months ago, the current menu is just limited in terms of variety (no hot food, sandwiches, seasonal specials) but does have plenty of what is advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't see how any contract in the world could have prevented EI just dumping Dnata after a few weeks. Complete non-performance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I see EI are recruiting cabin crew for their Belfast base, perhaps indicative that they’re planning to continue operating the current routes out of BHD themselves as opposed to Emerald taking over.

Wondering will LRG still follow LRH to MAN?

EI107 the second DUB JFK is switched to a 330 now for summer 2022. This would mean 4 NEO in DUB and 2 in SNN. Instead of 5 in DUB.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The issue is less "DNATA non-performance" than Aer Lingus refusal to increase their spend

I don’t see why they’d need it to be honest, JFK is daily and BOS is no longer planned so one A321LR is all that’s really required. With BGI being winter seasonal they’ll have a spare A330 to act as cover throughout summer.

Unless they plan on returning one A330 to the Irish register already which would cast doubt over the entire MAN venture in my opinion.

Looks sharp, proof will be in the side profile view for this livery as the tail swoop can look awkward on the double wedge tail design of the ATR but great to see it rolled out and a step closer to operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

Selfishly I would welcome a pre 6am curfew. The early evening 5-7pm EST bank are an absolute pain in the bollox coming back to Ireland, too early to sleep and you arrive in way too early to check into a hotel/are usually knackered for that entire day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

But no one is forcing you to use the early flights though.

There is a second flight from most of the cities served by the early arrivals into Dublin.

Clearly the early flights are useful for onward connections and for others travelling to Dublin, so I’m not sure that just because the early flights don’t suit you that there are grounds for a 6am curfew.

I used to hate the 5:30am arrivals. However, I've realised in recent years that the trick to surviving them is to stay on US time for your first day in Ireland. Don't try to sleep on the plane; just go right to bed when you get home with an alarm set for around 12:30pm Irish time.

When I do that I can go to sleep again around 10pm that night and I'm absolutely fine the next day.

• Advertisement

...one other thought. I loved the 12 noon departure from JFK, arriving into Ireland around midnight.

If that ever comes back, that will be my preferred flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Eastbound daytime JFK is scheduled this year:

Dec 23 EI2103 DUB-JFK 12.00-15.10 (3rd JFK service)

Dec 24 EI2102 JFK-DUB 11.00-22.25 (not sure its released for sale unless its sold out already)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Lol, it’s addition is to return flight deck crew to Dublin prior to 25th.

A friend of mine was booked BOS-DUB-BRU-DUB-BOS over the next few days.

He tried to check in, discovered that he couldn't - because the connecting DUB-BRU-DUB has been cancelled for some time and EI never bothered to tell him that. The only alternative offered was 10+ hours in DUB on the way over and an overnight on the way back.

He's since told EI to Foxtrot Oscar and has rebooked with a different airline. I imagine he'll never book with EI again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Disaster 🙄

Who’s the person making these decisions?

Side view of EI-GPP;

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1775317

Must admit I think it looks great, much better than I had anticipated. The thicker lime green stripe, as seen on new Airbus deliveries, really brightens it up and draws the eye.

Won’t help when 10’s in use as departures will be off 10R with no possibility of departure off the left due to planning rules. Only an A380 will be allowed use the Left in normal ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Looks great - be good to see some passengers on it at sometime. I can’t believe the lack of regional services to the UK from EI at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Where are you getting this from? From the consultation I saw 10R will be prioritised for departures but there will be nothing stopping the odd departure from 10L from 6am to Midnight at least.

Advertisement