Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a feeling, that it's now part of Gerry's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

It’s the caterers from Layton Golf Course that are the new management. I was actually disappointed when I went in this morning. I thought it had lost its charm and I had to throw away my cafe mocha as it was so bitter. Also they seemed very disorganised behind the counter. It felt like a staff training day with two people showing the others constantly what way to do things. Maybe just opening day hiccups. Best of luck to them but I had selfishly hoped it would be similar to The Brown Hound but was very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭furiousox

Their facebook page is up.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

They have a tough act to follow tbf best of luck to them

We just had the buns and muffins there after tea.
    Not great at all I'm afraid.
    Too dense and way too sweet.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Their hot food is nice in the golf club, although that took a while to get going too.

Hugh is the proprietor apparently. As you know, my excellent deductive powers let me down and they are not associated with the previous owners.

I popped in for something for lunch and had a nice artisan ham, Emmental, rocket and relish on (I think) a rye bread, plus a coffee, which came to €8.50.

It was quite spartan in there, but I guess that’s more a product of the Covid-19 requirements. So my initial thoughts are, give them a chance to find their feet and support them in their endeavour.

Good luck guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Em, is anyone going to tell them...??

Em, is anyone going to tell them...??

Why would you set up such a fake page ?

• Advertisement

Why would you set up such a fake page ?

??

??

That page is clearly taking the pi55 with its 1 like and awful posts. Why would someone do that to a brand new business ?

Just had a look, some bizarre posts there alright!

That is bizarre. I've reported the page. Someone doesn't want them to succeed anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭positron

Whoever is behind that should be ashamed of themselves, trying to defame / sabotage someone start something good in such a difficult time!!

Indeed. If you read this thread please give your head a good wobble and delete it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Very, very strange. Someone clearly has a specific grudge, judging by the nature of some of those posts.

On a lighter note, did anyone try their coffee yet?
    I was enquiring about buying a bag of coffee beans off them yesterday but they hadn't worked out a price yet.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The main feedback I’m getting from several people passing, and which mirrors how i felt yesterday when I had to go to the post office, is there’s very little attempt being made to socially distance around the place...

We just stood in line like every other shop, gave people space in front and behind. didnt feel any different to every other shop i go into. There were people sitting outside together but they could be family etc, that's up to themselves anyway

I went out to get a bun in lime kiln bakery as well and they have a nice set up of picnic benches well spread out from each other.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The main feedback I’m getting from several people passing, and which mirrors how i felt yesterday when I had to go to the post office, is there’s very little attempt being made to socially distance around the place...

That's up to the individuals not the business really. Looked far enough apart to me.

• Advertisement

That's up to the individuals not the business really. Looked far enough apart to me.

True but the individuals didn't place the benches and tables outside the business did and it's a mistake by them as far I'm concerned. They are not socially distanced by any stretch. It's only seating for 8 max but many places in town would love to have that and imo goes against things as they stand at the minute.

True but the individuals didn't place the benches and tables outside the business did and it's a mistake by them as far I'm concerned. They are not socially distanced by any stretch. It's only seating for 8 max but many places in town would love to have that and imo goes against things as they stand at the minute.

Very few places in town ever had seating outside, let alone during this. The lime kiln has a similar setup.

The general public know the rules, it's up to them to follow them.

Other businesses are playing by the rules doesn't matter what the general public do these guys have people sat outside like it's business as usual and are facilitating it.

Outside The Aviary today (and it was busy, in the lovely weather) there were four discrete table and chairs “set ups” which were well spaced and allowed for social distancing and, as far as I could see people were self-policing social distancing.

Fair play to owners and customers.

Yeah, as a follow up, I just drove by and noticed they’d changed the layouts.

Initially, I think they had some benches that were all clustered together. Now, it’s more spaced out, and there’s signage asking people not to gather. There was still some people who were obviously ignoring it, but I can’t fault the cafe beyond what they’ve done to rectify the issue.

Decent queue for McDonalds there spilling out on to the dual carriageway.

Decent queue for McDonalds there spilling out on to the dual carriageway.

I'm looking forward to it myself tbh , wont be queuing for long though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Garda moved them on , and riightly so , cars coming around the bend after the bridge having to slam on .
    They have an empty car park on that site and could easily traffic manage to avoid queueing on a busy carriageway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Went to Smuggler's Rest in Clogherhead.

Was able to order and collect.

Chicken burger and chips and one small scampi.

26e.

Pleasant staff to deal with. Missus was very happy with scampi.

My chicken burger was three gujons in a bun. Not that good tbh. Good portion of fries though.

Looks like a nice pub to have a few pints in too

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

everlast75 wrote: »
    Went to Smuggler's Rest in Clogherhead.

Was able to order and collect.

Chicken burger and chips and one small scampi.

26e.

Pleasant staff to deal with. Missus was very happy with scampi.

My chicken burger was three gujons in a bun. Not that good tbh. Good portion of fries though.

Looks like a nice pub to have a few pints in too

I ate there a couple of times before shutdown. It was a poor enough experience overall, the staff were fairly clueless and the food was overpriced for what you got. I imagine it’ll have to improve in time if it’s going to survive long term. It wouldn’t be worth the trip from drogheda in my opinion.

• Advertisement

DeVine now taking bookings .
    Managed to get a table for 4th July .

Donnegans at Monasterboice also taking bookings. Booked for Friday week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭gipi

Valley Inn taking bookings too - reopening June 29th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

gipi wrote: »
    Valley Inn taking bookings too - reopening June 29th

You can also get take away pints this weekend. 3 for 12 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Not really a restaurant as such, but definitely the best value feed in the area.

Any sign of The Cross reopening, or are they going to continue operating takeaway out of The Trinity Quarter?

Got 4 takeaway pints from Barlow tonight for €16 , they were beautiful .
    He told me he sold 160 in 2 hrs yesterday .

Got 4 takeaway pints from Barlow tonight for €16 , txhey were beautiful .
    He told me he sold 160 in 2 hrs yesterday .

Ah, Barlow’s...

Looks like a new restaurant - Bryanstown Social - opening in August in the old Eastern Seaboard premises.

https://bryanstownsocial.ie/?fbclid=IwAR0zajUhwn7LCxHjgL7VrqRkMTJeSlrPqf5HyfCVzZgc76n07Fm9pDfGydc

Looks like it might be part of the Oliver Dunne restaurant group - I’m in danger of 2+2=5 though.

Looks like a new restaurant - Bryanstown Social - opening in August in the old Eastern Seaboard premises.

https://bryanstownsocial.ie/?fbclid=IwAR0zajUhwn7LCxHjgL7VrqRkMTJeSlrPqf5HyfCVzZgc76n07Fm9pDfGydc

Looks like it might be part of the Oliver Dunne restaurant group - I’m in danger of 2+2=5 though.

I did a very quick search to find out who owns the domain.

Registered to a "Banta Restaurants Limited". Googling them seems to link them to the Oliver Dunne group, so yeah, looks right.

• Advertisement

is that a good thing

IvoryTower wrote: »
    is that a good thing

Not really sure, personally, but they have a Michlein Star for their Malahide location, so fingers crossed.

Not really sure, personally, but they have a Michlein Star for their Malahide location, so fingers crossed.

I don't *think* people are after a Michlein Star restaurant? I think being up their own **** caused the problem with the Eastern...

i wouldnt say no

IvoryTower wrote: »
    i wouldnt say no

Username checks out :D

Oliver Dunne’s also run a number of “grill” type places so hopefully it will be less Michelin and more “accessible” to us ordinary folk (I was going to say Normal People but that has other connotations.....)

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    I don't *think* people are after a Michlein Star restaurant? I think being up their own **** caused the problem with the Eastern...

I'll be honest, I always felt the Seaboard was aiming at trying to present itself as such an establishment. The problems that developed were that the standards of the actual food and menu dropped drastically below the image it was presenting.

I think there's room for a Michlein Star location, or a place that has notions. But you've got to make sure you keep somewhat of your menu grounded too. A burger thats gourmet, or some realistic dishes to appeal somewhat to the reality of Drogheda's masses.

the Seaboard lost it's way when it seemed to drop all of that. But I can think of three or four places in town that seem to always be packed while aiming itself at a more "refined" clientele (I feel that sounds pretentious but I'm not sure how else to describe that target market).

^^ I’d absolutely agree. I’d been going to ESB since around 2008, and always enjoyed its vibe and food and drink offering. Over the years, we must have spent thousands there, looking back on it. It was, IMO, a cut above other local restaurants at the time, and we actively promoted it, entertained friends there, were regulars and it formed part of our anniversaries, birthdays and Christmases

Then, around 2017/18, it lost its way. It got notions. I believe it started to believe its own publicity and reviews.

The menu changed, the wines changed and, most importantly, the philosophy of satisfying the customer evaporated. It became more about the owner/operator than the diner. We stopped going and, so it would seem, did many others. Such a shame.

There’s certainly a place for a higher end restaurant in Drogheda. I look forward to the opening of the Bryanstown Social in the hope it fits into that niche market.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

I was a big fan of the ESB and hope the new Bryanstown restaurant is more along the lines of Bon Appetit, we have any god's amount of run of the mill eateries in Drogheda and as Ireland's biggest town a michelin standard restaurant wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I think the name pretty much says what type of restaurant it'll be. The "Social" name would make me believe it will be a more casual theme, rather than high end Michelin Star cuisine. Doesn't mean they won't be going for quality though!

The group has another social eatery in its ranks and I reckon it'll take a similar approach here.

Looking forward to seeing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Gosh I miss the ESB&G chicken wings and warm potato salad.:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement