Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I've no choice but to listen to the game on Radio Kerry. Jaysus! They're not commentators. They sound like two lads sitting in the stands.:D

They sound like half-drunk lads sitting on barstools watching it on tv. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

washman3 wrote: »
    They sound like half-drunk lads sitting on barstools watching it on tv. :p

Its turning into a bit of a wake now. Sounds like they're on a few short ones standing over the coffin. Not as entertaining anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You can see why Kerry pick up so many cards, very little discipline.

Thread title accurate. Its capital punishment dished out to Kerry........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Lol... yee are well able to give it yourselves. Kerry have blown 2 goals chances and yee were gifted a couple of frees when they should have went the other way.

Dublin’s experience is too much for Kerry though and will pull away to win comfortably in the end

An exhibition of football by one team and "Pulling and Dragging" by another. How Kerry finished with 15 men on the field is beyond me.

Anyway, great to see the lads put their foot on Kerry's throat and not let up. That could have been even more embarrassing only for the woodwork saving them a few times.

Cooper, MDM and Kilkenny we stand out performers but the whole team upped their performance.

Clifford did well but was cutting a lone figure for the entire second half.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Anyone at the hurling themselves?
    Haven't heard much about the performance today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Footballers were awesome, So clinical in counter, Either side could have knocked a goal or two onto their scoring.

Some Dub supporters are tragic, So biased, One lad screaming blue murder when Small was put to the line. Shouting Waaaaheyyyy when ever anyone kicks a wide is pretty pathetic at this stage, especially when their team were so dominant.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lol... yee are well able to give it yourselves. Kerry have blown 2 goals chances and yee were gifted a couple of frees when they should have went the other way.

Not really in all fairness, tbh the Kerry lads are not set up to play that type of football IMO.
    Dublin were well able to take the Kerry style, but it's not really a game plan that Kerry have the players for imo. MDMA knocked the absolute sh1t out of every Kerry player that tried to bottle him up.

When Moran came on he played some football, got a mark and he looked far more comfortable and closer to auctually playing football.

When that rubbish style didn't work Kerry had no plan B. They have some great players, management seem to be trying a different style, however I think that squad needs a new direction.

Imagine trying that against Mayo later on in the year, the Mayo lads would lap it up and win on frees alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Really enjoyable day in Croke Park. Anytime you hammer Kerry is a good time.

But, they were awful. Off the ball they were constantly fouling and pulling and dragging. Why the refs constantly let them away with it, I don't know. Even the Independent report says that Crowley and McCarthy were lucky not to see the line.

Their tactic for the kick-outs was to pull and drag their marker to force the ball long. It didn't work. Cluxton had a great game.

Their players really don't have the strength, conditioning and stamina to play that kind of game for 70 mins. Mayo can do it, and the Northern teams are professional at it, but Kerry were a poor imitation.

When they actually played ball, they had a few good players - Clifford and O'Shea looked good. Geaney as always put in a good shift.

For us, Kilkenny, Cooper, Fenton and Scully were very good. O'Sullivan struggled with Clifford at the start, he is not as good a man-marker as he used to be.

The League is shaping up strangely. Tyrone, Kerry and Mayo seem to be almost going backwards with Monaghan and Galway now the strongest behind Dublin. Complacency and injuries are the biggest danger to Dublin now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Again its striking how physically dominant Dublin are in the league. Kerry tried to mix it early but in truth it hastened their demise. Dublin had the juice to keep going in the last 20 but chose to kill it instead. Had they....they would have ended up with a cricket score.

Both sides were at the pulling and dragging. We're kidding ourselves if we think Dublin aren't up for that stuff. John Small is gonna earn himself a reputation with refs soon enough. His 'man marking' is getting less and less subtle in games. He wouldn't leave that poor centre forward alone.:D

Lots of good performances. Brian Howard looks to the manner born. McCauley is in tremendous shape. KK should play edge of the square all the time. His pace and power are a nightmare to deal with and that adds more to the team than his passive playmaker role.

Negatives? Basquel needs to be more active and show as an option. He didn't come close to matching Andrews' and Rocks' workrate. You'd be hopeful he'll settle in and that'll come though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Was very impressed with MDMA, thought he looked the best he has in years.

Overall, an entertaining first half, the second half didn't really have the same vibe at all, all one way traffic, was pretty clear that Kerry ran out of both juice and ideas.

Delighted that the Hurlers got the win, and convincingly too. Considering how bad some of the games were, it's almost feels like bonus territory to avoid the relegation scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It will be interesting to see the development / evolution of these two sides over the next four / five years.

The Kerry team should be at the top of thier game by then.
    Dublin will have a very different starting team then they do now.

But if Jim or the next manager after him keeps gradually introducing fresh blood to "the process"
    there could be some terrific games in the next few years.

I am looking forward to that.
    Plus in four/five years time that great Mayo generation will be gone, so we won't have to listen to them whinging about losing finals because they won't be in them.

It will be 1970's history repeated aging streetwise Dublin team v young Kerry pups?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It will be interesting to see the development / evolution of these two sides over the next four / five years.

The Kerry team should be at the top of thier game by then.
    Dublin will have a very different starting team then they do now.

But if Jim or the next manager after him keeps gradually introducing fresh blood to "the process"
    there could be some terrific games in the next few years.

I am looking forward to that.
    Plus in four/five years time that great Mayo generation will be gone, so we won't have to listen to them whinging about losing finals because they won't be in them.

In four years time, Dublin could put out this team:

Comerford
    Cooper-Byrne-Murchan
    Lowndes-Small-McCaffrey
    Fenton-McCarthy
    Scully-O'Callaghan-Howard
    Costello-Kilkenny-Mannion

Subs: McHugh, Basquel, Reddin, Carthy, etc.

McCarthy and Cooper are 28 and seem to have the hunger to keep going. The rest are still well young enough to play for many more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Am I correct in thinking that Dublin have Tipp in Parnell? Can't see them beating them but be good last run out before playing Kilkenny there in May. Not been talking to anyone yet who was there but from radio updates seems it was over in first ten minutes. so fair play to them for doing the business.

What can you say about the footballers! Unless they get some sort of head staggers or a really bad ref -not mentioning anyone from Down - they will not be beaten this year.

Kerry were dreadful and as always when they know they are out-mastered try to drag teams into the gutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

As Corny says let's not be kidding ourselves, we're well up for mixing it if the occasion arises, I wouldn't be boo hooing about it - there was a time we were knocked from pillar to post by the kingdom.

Likewise, I'd cut their players some slack, they've some really good footballers and some great potential in the young lads but they're hamstrung by the ineptness on the sideline

DoctaDee wrote: »
    As Corny says let's not be kidding ourselves, we're well up for mixing it if the occasion arises, I wouldn't be boo hooing about it - there was a time we were knocked from pillar to post by the kingdom.

Likewise, I'd cut their players some slack, they've some really good footballers and some great potential in the young lads but they're hamstrung by the ineptness on the sideline

I don't think anyone would argue our lads are not well versed in the dark arts but call a spade a spade here. No team under Gavin would carry on the way Kerry did today. The only reason they didn't finish with 13 on the field was the ref taking pity on a team taking a hiding.

Kerry have some smashing young footballers which is why handing them their arsês today was important. The longer Fitzy stays at the helm, the better as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Of course we're well capable of mixing it with the best of them. The hilarious thing about all the off the ball dirt and pulling and dragging from Kerry today, is that it is totally over looked, amid all the fanfare to crown young Clifford and Co the new princes of pure football. Whereas we have the likes of Paul Kimmage having fits of the vapours, if we so much as look at anyone sideways. That is what pisses Dub fans off. The double standard that Kerry get judged by and the one that everyone else gets judged on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I was delighted to see Paddy Small getting a run.

His running and ball winning ability was very good. A number of scores resulted from his play.
    That four years ahead team named above would have him in it IMO.

He's strong, can pass and can score. His runs off the ball will have Paddy Andrews looking over his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I've no choice but to listen to the game on Radio Kerry. Jaysus! They're not commentators. They sound like two lads sitting in the stands.:D

How long did it take them to say the ref is not having the best of games (when a decision went against Kaaar-eee ?)

I always find those parochical local radio commentators gas.
    They are just one stage away from "Effin Eddie".

I had to listen to the radio limerick (Live 95fm or whatever it was) commentary on radio for the Dublin Limerick hurling match.

Commentator kept referring to Dublin player Fergal Whitely as Fergal "Wit-lee"

10 / 15 minutes later commentator says:

"I got a text in here.

It says Fergal 'Witlee's' name is pronounced 'White-lee'

And he should know.... because he says he is his first cousin....

So we will go by that so"

So for the rest of the game he interchanged between 'Wit-lee... White-lee...'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

DoctaDee wrote: »

Its cliche to knock Kerry for being dirty bastards. It might be because the narrative that they're custodians of the beautiful game rubs people up the wrong way. They're neither. They're no better or worse than Mayo or Dublin when it comes to this stuff.

No one is going to tell me we sent John Small out to play football. He went out to completely **** young O'Se over. Its the job he did on Harte last year...he's good at it. Falling back on 'well we only fight fire with fire' is indulgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I like ghosting the Kerry boards , they know their football mostly. Some not happy with some of our lads today.
    MD was amazing. I love winning against this lot.

I was saddened to hear the booing of Clifford and the cheers when he seemed to be injured late on. This lad is what is good about the game.
    He will have his day. He is still a kid. Cooper wrapped him up but every hard day is a lesson.

Anyhow it pissed me off to hear the abuse he got

corny wrote:
    No one is going to tell me we sent John Small out to play football. He went out to completely **** young O'Se over. Its the job he did on Harte last year...he's good at it. Falling back on 'well we only fight fire with fire' is indulgent.

Think you are going too far over the other side here. A number of the Kerry players were concentrating on holding and dragging from the start, it appeared to be a plan and something that didn't work for them.

To a significant degree it was a case of beating them at it, and Dublin did so, Mayo would do the same.

Kerry got traction with this on both days out last year.

However it didn't work this year. Again they have players that are better suited to playing football IMO, the fact that Dublin responded flys in the face of some general opinions around this being a new Kerry tactic, Dublin aside.

I don't see where the current Kerry management team is taking this group of players, it appears to be almost desperate, come championship they will have several players threading lightly for the second half of their games.

Yet they have great players, however based on 2015 I seriously doubt if they (management) are "holding back" killer performances. I might be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Last three games now and Dublin have them won by the 60th minute. Kerry may have made more of a game of it if they concentrated on playing football.

I also thought Cluxton was great today in grabbing the game by the throat and setting down a marker in the first half.

Thought MDMA was utterly immense today. Talk about turning back the clock. Great to see. He was hands down my MOTM. Did all the dirty work, made all the runs, was at the centre of everything & took no $hit from anyone. He may not win any medals for pure footballing ability, but my God, talk about being at the centre of every thing when it mattered !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Thought MDMA was utterly immense today. Talk about turning back the clock. Great to see. He was hands down my MOTM. Did all the dirty work, made all the runs, was in the centre of everything & took no $hit from anyone. He may not win any medals for pure footballing ability, but my God, talk about being at the centre of every thing when it mattered !

Same here. Had him tipped for motm. Pity he hasn't got the confidence to take a shot on. He got into some very good positions plus also was excellent playing in defence and taking the ball out.

Also thought my 'underrated player, Paddy Andrews produced the goods today. Scored a beaut of a point right at the death.

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    I like ghosting the Kerry boards , they know their football mostly. Some not happy with some of our lads today.
    MD was amazing. I love winning against this lot.

I was saddened to hear the booing of Clifford and the cheers when he seemed to be injured late on. This lad is what is good about the game.
    He will have his day. He is still a kid. Cooper wrapped him up but every hard day is a lesson.

Anyhow it pissed me off to hear the abuse he got

Were we at the same game? I didn't hear anything like that.

Clifford had a couple of bad misses that were cheered, but the Hill cheers every bad miss. It was nothing personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Were we at the same game? I didn't hear anything like that.

Clifford had a couple of bad misses that were cheered, but the Hill cheers every bad miss. It was nothing personal.

Didn’t hear it myself cos it didn’t happen. Was funny the hill cheering Kerry’s 9th point. Was some gap between 8th and 9th point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I still have visions of Gavin taking him aside before matches and saying: "For jaysus sake don't even think of having a shot." :)

Apparently this is actually what he is told, basically concentrate on fielding and distribution. If you ever see him playing for Ballyboden he is regularly kicking points and goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Didn’t hear it myself cos it didn’t happen. Was funny the hill cheering Kerry’s 9th point. Was some gap between 8th and 9th point.

Ah i'm not a poster who tries to be controversial, and i'm not trying to argue but towards the end of the game Cooper got out in front of Clifford. Clifford took off after Cooper and pulled up. He limped a little and started to stretch out his legs. It happened then. Clifford didn't receive treatment. It was probably cramp but we weren't to know that. A few people to my right were cheering that. It was out of kilter for us, that is all. It wasn't many people so i will leave it there.:o Maybe i was a little under the influence when i posted i was pissed off. Grand now though;)

As for the ref, i agree with ya Bonnie. Totally bizarre performance!:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement