Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Options
  • 09-06-2014 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

How is it like there? Staying there for a few days in august...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Grand. Buildings, buses, people. Chipper or two. Pubs. The usual. Wet when it rains.

Any specific questions...?

Stayed in a mate's a few times, grand area and quiet enough. Not much of a walk away from the craic though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Grand place, short walking distance to town

• Registered Users Posts: 2 youdistractme

Grand. so it's not dodgy or anything like that there at all? No places to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Grand. so it's not dodgy or anything like that there at all? No places to avoid?

You'll be grand, unless you go looking for trouble even in the worst parts of Dublin you'll rarely get it. That's not to say walk down dark alleys at will, but nothing different to any other part of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Phibsborough is grand .I was born and brought up there .

http://youtu.be/Z1XFPREhVjw a day in Phibsborough

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Can only echo what the rest have said I walk through Phibsborough on my way to work and back every day and its fine. Like anywhere though after dark I would be sure to be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

You're basically safe for the most part; you've got a Tesco there too and there's a bus straight to town (or you can walk).

Only thing I'd recommend is on match nights when they're playing in the stadium there to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Good location very central, some nice cafes, a nice bakery, tescos, some take aways, short hop to city centre. What's not to like. Traffic is a bit sh1t around peak times

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Even on Dublin Council site it refers to it using both spellings! I think Phibsborough is the official name but Phibisboro is so widely used that its become accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Only thing I'd recommend is on match nights when they're playing in the stadium there to be careful.

Or you could even go and watch Bohs play in Dalymount Park. It's a good night out (only €15 and three proper bars in the ground) and there's still time to head in to town after the game.

Nobody commented on the video ,which i thought was amazing .Done by a Polish lad with an eye for detail . http://youtu.be/Z1XFPREhVjw

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Phibsboro is grand.
    Some nice pubs Smyths(formerly o'mahonys) had a lovely meal there, Porter house north, McGowans if you fancy meeting a culchie.
    Short walk to Botanic Gardens, or Griffith Park.
    close to town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

anto9 wrote: »
    Nobody commented on the video ,which i thought was amazing .Done by a Polish lad with an eye for detail . http://youtu.be/Z1XFPREhVjw
    just watched it there, it's brilliant

stinkle wrote: »
    just watched it there, it's brilliant

It even captured my old family home which my Father owned for 50 years since 1952 at 6.07 m (3 story over basement with broken upper window pane ) on the main Phibsborough road near the red windmill pub .It was sold on after my father died and instead of a one family home ,became a hostel for dozens of refugees.The front of the house was let fall apart .It was for sale again last year ,but as i am abroad i don't know its present circumstances ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mr.S wrote: »
    Phibsborough or Phibsboro? Most of the signage says Phibsborough but then a few places (eg Dublin Bus) call it Phibsboro

I think it can be both though to spell it without the ugh at the end it should be replaced by an apostrophe, as in Phibsboro'. My guess is Dublin Bus drop the ugh so it can fit better on their screens showing the destination.

I think they do it in the UK a lot, I know in football Southampton is more often than not abbreviated to Soton, Middlesborough is abbreviated to Middlesboro' and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

yes both spellings apply Phibsboro is the one i would use.

On food places i was in a Chinese place Kung Fu Buffet in the shopping centre which was excellent.

The Video posted above is excellent.

It even captured my old family home which my Father owned for 50 years since 1952 at 6.07 m (3 story over basement with broken upper window pane ) on the main Phibsborough road near the red windmill pub .It was sold on after my father died and instead of a one family home ,became a hostel for dozens of refugees.The front of the house was let fall apart .It was for sale again last year ,but as i am abroad i don't know its present circumstances ?

I can try and find out, am from the area too

stinkle wrote: »
    I can try and find out, am from the area too

Thanks in advance .Maybe you could pm to let me know if the for sale sign is gone ?Also if any new decoration has been done to the outside .?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

Grand area yeah, wouldn't worry about trouble (which is the concern?), just exercise common sense, crime in Dublin is almost purely financially motivated unlike other parts of the country where you can get trouble for no reason. Phibs would be considered a respectable and established northside suburb. However the area between the phibs and the Liffey isn't the greatest, would avoid after midnight if I wasn't used to the area, I only say that because there're one or two pockets that you wouldn't want to end up in, but even if you did you'd probably be grand. Enjoy your stay, so much to do in Dublin!

• Advertisement

Thanks in advance .Maybe you could pm to let me know if the for sale sign is gone ?Also if any new decoration has been done to the outside .?
    I'll be passing by tomorrow and can let you know. I'll be up there Sunday, can take a few pics and send them on if you like.

When were you living there? We moved there in '88, I went to school in Peter's and the family are all still there.

Hi Stinkle .Sent you a pm .

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Enjoyed the video, I lived in the area as a youngster.
    Good buzz in Phibsboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Gravediggers Pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

First 6 replies describe Phibsborough as "Grand". :)

If the OP is not familiar with Hiberno-English he could be in for a shock.

Dictionary definite of "grand":

magnificent and imposing in appearance, size, or style.
    "a grand country house"
    synonyms: magnificent, imposing, impressive, awe-inspiring, splendid, resplendent, superb, striking, monumental, majestic, glorious;
    antonyms: inferior, unimpressive
    large, ambitious, or impressive in scope or scale.
    "his grand design for the future of Europe"
    synonyms: ostentatious, grandiose, showy, extravagant, lordly, imperious;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Video is excellent...really captures the place.

I grew up in Phibsboro and have recently, many many years later, moved back to, hopefully, spend the rest of my days there..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Phibsboro is grand. Having a decent village and Tesco helps on rainy days, you'll never need a car. Nice walk to the city via Blessington Basin. If you have an accident you've got the Mater, if you've got a mate locked up, you've got the The 'joy. On Connaught St, you have Mt. Bernard park. You have a lovely canal walk. You have a few good locals, and another few within a stones throw. Local team is Bohemian's so you have Dalymount right behind the Tesco.

You've got the 17 Shops on New Cabra Rd, which has a great butcher (Ethersons), an excellent green grocer (think F&B), fishmonger and bakery. Has it's fair share of alco's and junkies, many hanging round Tesco, but they're harmless apart from a bit of begging. It can be sad to see some of the oul lads who spend all they have on tins and bets. Not much of a nightlife, and it doesn't have is a decent sit-down restaurant, but you'll get carvery in a bunch of the pubs.

I've lived her for years, and walked in every state from town, and I've never once seen any trouble. I've never been robbed, nor have any of my friends. It can feel unsafe, but it definitely is, served by the Mountjoy Garda station and regular beats. There's a strong neighbourhood community spirit, with Phizzfest a community organised event now an annual event. However if you're scared of broken windows, bedsits and quiet streets, then it might feel a little bit unsafe walking around very late. That said, cycling or taxis from town make sense given it's close proximity.

So yeah, it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Above post sums it up.

Lived there for 5 years and loved it. Saved a fortune on taxis being able to walk home on nights out in town (20 mins to O'Connell St) unless I was lazy or it was pouring. The shops are handy, Tesco, Boots, a few decent cafes and pubs and even got a McDonalds and Eddie Rocketts and a quaint little library that's hidden away just up from Doyle's corner. Not sure if Burdocks is still there.

I always felt safe even though my apartment was broken into once while I was on holidays (but that could happen anywhere).

>> Not sure if Burdocks is still there.<<

It was as of September 2012 .( last time i was over ) It even had the same Chinese guy from when i lived back there 2000 to 2002

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Anyone know where I'd pick up an Xmas tree in Phibsboro?

Advertisement