Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax TSC114 - anyone got their hands on one yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

I updated/edited my previous post with a link to the Saorsat thread to discuss the Walker box

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

zg3409 wrote: »
    I updated/edited my previous post with a link to the Saorsat thread to discuss the Walker box

Thanks. I'll go take a look.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

the question is why would anyone bother with this for just saorview logo and mheg5... most people would be willing to pay extra for the 7 day sat epg, which is the one disadvantage the ariva does not have.

The ariva doesnt have 7day epg that works have one in front of me rite now and it doesnt have it only shows now and next which the TRIAX COMBO also does., a lot of people like teletext me included and come october the arivas wont have any text and watch the boards fill with people giving out about them.

All I want is a box that is reliable has software updates to fix and problems that should arrise and a proper epg which shouldnt be any problem and pvr ready put preferably with an internally installed drive rather than via usb...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

steveon wrote: »
    The ariva doesnt have 7day epg that works have one in front of me rite now and it doesnt have it only shows now and next which the TRIAX COMBO also does., a lot of people like teletext me included and come october the arivas wont have any text and watch the boards fill with people giving out about them.

All I want is a box that is reliable has software updates to fix and problems that should arrise and a proper epg which shouldnt be any problem and pvr ready put preferably with an internally installed drive rather than via usb...

Text/interactive services on sat would be nice too :(

dubber wrote: »
    Text/interactive services on sat would be nice too :(

I totally agree with you which is why in my original post I am dumfounded as to why the new triax combo cannot access the BBC teletext service when the older combo box could makes no sense not providing
    this as BBC text is great for news and sport results etc in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I totally agree with you which is why in my original post I am dumfounded as to why the new triax combo cannot access the BBC teletext service when the older combo box could makes no sense not providing
    this as BBC text is great for news and sport results etc in my opinion.

and interactive services via the red button are great during tournaments like Euro 2012 ... pity, looks like I'l have to put up with FTA on my Sky box and analogue on my TV for another few months at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭B bopp

[/QUOTE]
    Why does everyone expect 7 day epg on sat? if you want that get a freesat approved box.[/Quote]

Because its convenient and simple to record from. not everyone is a technical genius

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Why does everyone expect 7 day epg on sat? if you want that get a freesat approved box.[/Quote]

Because its convenient and simple to record from. not everyone is a technical genius[/QUOTE]
    I agree, Im not myself, you should look into the Humax HDR, its a great box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Zardoz

180 euro seems way too much for such a basic box.
    You can get a linux based receiver (Gigablue 800Se,Dm800Hd clone,etc ) for a similar price that leaves this yoke by the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭B bopp

shblob wrote: »
    Why does everyone expect 7 day epg on sat? if you want that get a freesat approved box.

Because its convenient and simple to record from. not everyone is a technical genius[/QUOTE]
    I agree, Im not myself, you should look into the Humax HDR, its a great box.[/Quote]
    Does this box you sell have the saorview on it also. i think everyone would like the ideal box with the 7 day epg on both platform. i had hoped the triax was close to it but looks like i hoped in vain

• Advertisement

I couldnt care bout the 7day EPG but at a minimum I expect access to the red button functions, pressing red on the TSC114 is a zoom function which is badly taught out, and text on bbc simply brings up teletex which is stupid, serious lack of imagination in TRIAX in my opinion its a step in the wrong direction...when I switched it on I was so impressed as it was so easy to tune but that was short lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I couldnt care bout the 7day EPG but at a minimum I expect access to the red button functions, pressing red on the TSC114 is a zoom function which is badly taught out, and text on bbc simply brings up teletex which is stupid, serious lack of imagination in TRIAX in my opinion its a step in the wrong direction...when I switched it on I was so impressed as it was so easy to tune but that was short lived.

I am really disappointed steveon.

No Mapping of keys eh. I mean it doesnt take a fecking genius to join the dots with the MHEG engine to enable the interactive buttons for dvb-s etc.

What about a CAM slot ?

Does it play media files ?

What about editing and backup channel lists and transfer via usb? Any of that going on.

€180 I see these are trading for before postage on Tvtrade.

Nice I suppose if you want a €100 MHEG engine and an €80 combo box.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

>What about a CAM slot ?

No

>Does it play media files ?

Yes

>What about editing and backup channel lists and transfer via usb? Any of that going on.

Yes. TV trade have loads of videos posted on youtube, already linked to a few pages back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

cant see this box worrying the sales of the ariva120 much....just my opinion but its twice the price of the ariva for just additional mheg5 text that people dont use much these days.

Regarding the price, in fairness the box is just out, so I would guess the price will come down over time. Personally, I'd pay a bit extra over the Ferguson if they issued new firmware which:

gave interactive services on sat
    Allowed you to pause and rewind without choosing one or the other
    Made the EPG disappear when you select a channel!

It seems there is a legal explanation for not including 7 day sat EPG.

STB wrote: »
    I am really disappointed steveon.

No Mapping of keys eh. I mean it doesnt take a fecking genius to join the dots with the MHEG engine to enable the interactive buttons for dvb-s etc.

What about a CAM slot ?

Does it play media files ?

What about editing and backup channel lists and transfer via usb? Any of that going on.

€180 I see these are trading for before postage on Tvtrade.

Nice I suppose if you want a €100 MHEG engine and an €80 combo box.

Channel backup is extremely easy I have a channel listing fully complete so if any1 wants a copy simply pm me with ur email and I will be glad to save it onto you...took approx 35mins to do when compared to over 4 overs to do the HD537 properly. There is also A button to switch betwen TV/Radio which is a handy addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

dubber wrote: »
    and interactive services via the red button are great during tournaments like Euro 2012 ... pity, looks like I'l have to put up with FTA on my Sky box and analogue on my TV for another few months at least.

To be honest, it's unlikely you will ever see proper Red Button interactive services on a non-Freesat box - even those which do have MHEG-5.

The reason being that in order for a sat box to switch to an interactive stream, the box has to know which transponder/channel/stream to tune/switch to. This is fine when the MHEG-5 data points towards a channel/stream in the Freesat EPG. But for a box which only has MHEG-5, it can't find the appropriate channel/stream.

Digital teletext, however, really shouldn't be a problem for any MHEG-5 capable box.

Apogee wrote: »
    To be honest, it's unlikely you will ever see proper Red Button interactive services on a non-Freesat box - even those which do have MHEG-5.

The reason being that in order for a sat box to switch to an interactive stream, the box has to know which transponder/channel/stream to tune/switch to. This is fine when the MHEG-5 data points towards a channel/stream in the Freesat EPG. But for a box which only has MHEG-5, it can't find the appropriate channel/stream.

Digital teletext, however, really shouldn't be a problem for any MHEG-5 capable box.

But we already have seen it Apogee.

Of course you must have MHEG5. Once you have MHEG5 you just join the dots. Its like clicking on html, once you map the keys on the remote and within the software .

And Triax have already done this mimicking the Freesat API!

In the short time I had the 537, the re-witten software (3.8.1) enabled all the red button services on BBC including the switch to HD channel, the sports multi screens and the text. Infact I tried to call the EPG data transponder channel (which tuned in as a data channel in the channel list) using buttons on the remote and it came up with a loading page, but just bombed out, so they had taken the software very far. I dont have pics from that.... but you will see the red button appear on screen at 1.47 and 1.57 in TVtrade's video on Youtube. This button worked he doesnt press on it in the video. He uses the text button, the sports multiscreens are also held on page 3001 on the text menu either way and work.

Somebody sat down and worked out the links and mapped them...... I wont mention reverse engineering, but somebody knew their way around the Freesat API.

Yet they haven't implemented it in this box from scratch.

Channel backup is extremely easy I have a channel listing fully complete so if any1 wants a copy simply pm me with ur email and I will be glad to save it onto you...took approx 35mins to do when compared to over 4 overs to do the HD537 properly. There is also A button to switch betwen TV/Radio which is a handy addition.

What format are the files saved in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

What format are the files saved in ?

.bin around 78k

• Advertisement

In the short time I had the 537, the re-witten software (3.8.1) enabled all the red button services on BBC including the switch to HD channel, the sports multi screens and the text.

I wasn't aware they had got that far - must be some serious copyright infringement going on then. Hard to see Freesat turning a blind eye to this longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

An MHEG Engine without any copyright infringement can be got working with red button/ Multiscreens. It's the Autotuning is a closed portion of D-book. Using the full 7 EPG is also potentially more of an issue than the "red button".

watty wrote: »
    An MHEG Engine without any copyright infringement can be got working with red button/ Multiscreens. It's the Autotuning is a closed portion of D-book. Using the full 7 EPG is also potentially more of an issue than the "red button".

Does D-book cover satellite as well? I trying to understand how the box 'knows' where the streams are and how to switch to them if the channels numbers don't match exactly with the Freesat assigned slots?

I remember you mentioning how it hadn't worked with DVBViewer, so I'm trying to figure out what additional stuff Triax are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Official Triax page is up - TSC114 - Saorview HD Combi Receiver (305018)

How can the ISAA justify given a box 10/10 when there is serious room for improvement....I would give it 7/10 and thats being generous...red button would have moved it to a 9 without it its as I already stated a serious stepback..

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Interesting that this one manages to get status on the Triax website, yet the 537 never did. Triax would appear happier with this model and willing to push it more with SV certification, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

KeRbDoG wrote: »

View and control TV around your home with the Triax Tri-Link (Part No 370407)

'A great piece of equipment...Easy to install and setup'
    - Awarded 10/10 by the ISAA : Irish Satellite and Aerial Association

the ISAA is refering to the tri-link not the TSC114.

I wouldnt award it a 10/10 should have been incororated into the box to justify the huge cost....although I do use the Tri-Link regulary but main flaw is extra scarts needed to make it work so again wouldnt give it a 10...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I wouldnt award it a 10/10 should have been incororated into the box to justify the huge cost....although I do use the Tri-Link regulary but main flaw is extra scarts needed to make it work so again wouldnt give it a 10...
    It wouldve been brilliant if it had a tri link built in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ah, sorry about that - tiny bit misleading, quote removed

Advertisement