Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be clear, the Premier League deal in Ireland is a direct sale from the Premier League to Premier Sports and not a sub license by Amazon. There are Premier League games Premier Sports have in Ireland that Amazon do not have the rights for in the U.K. and would therefore not be in position to sublicense.

As far as I can tell it is simply coincidence that Premier Sports picked up the Irish rights in both instances.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭mike2084

Ah fair enough, I hadn't realised that the Premier League were dealing direct with Premier Sports I was thinking it was a sub-licence. So when I saw the rugby deal I put two and two together and came up with five :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Great selection of Premier Leagues on Premier Sports

https://www.premiersports.com/premierleague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'm watching the Everton v Man City match on Premier Sports. I was wondering why there's the option of a match choice red button when there's currently no other league game on. I selected it and weirdly it took me to Sky Sports Championship match choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Acosta wrote: »
    I'm watching the Everton v Man City match on Premier Sports. I was wondering why there's the option of a match choice red button when there's currently no other league game on. I selected it and weirdly it took me to Sky Sports Championship match choice.

I just tried this myself and same thing. That’s pretty weird alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Dodge wrote: »
    I just tried this myself and same thing. That’s pretty weird alright

Premier uses Sky's access capacity for the games - the red button in this case is bringing you to a transponder currently being used by Sky.

Premier Sports becomes title sponsor of SPFL Cup.

https://www.premiersports.com/sports/football/premier-sports-cup

Well this is a biggy if true - Daily Telegraph reporting tonight that BT is looking to get out of sport and has put BT Sport, or at least a stake in it, up for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Delta2113

BT has appointed investment bank Lazard and held initial talks with companies including Dazn, Amazon, Disney and private equity companies over a potential investment in the business.

Confirmed to the LSE this morning.

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/news-article/BT.A/discussions-in-relation-to-bt-sport/14957161

Media reports suggesting the companies involved may be DAZN, Amazon, and ESPN/Disney. Of these the latter has a pre-existing programme supply and brand licensing deal with BT Sport which gives BT access to a large chunk of its US domestic rights (major exceptions being NFL and NBA). Amazon may be interested but I am not sure they want to get into traditional linear television on this scale and ditto for DAZN (and in the event DAZN do get the rights, do not expect that the self-proclaimed Netflix Of Sports will be charging Netflix prices - more likely double that with BT’s Premier League fees).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a shock to be honest. They shelled out a massive sum for the EL/CL and while I've not seen the subscriber numbers it always felt like they'd overpaid for something not part of the core business.

This must have been in the works well before the ESL notion was "launched" but maybe they felt the current tournaments have a less than secure future under UEFA's bungling administration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This news could signal here that BT Sport are experiencing the same levels of trouble that Eir Sport have had here in Ireland because sports TV broadcasting worldwide has taken a hit during the pandemic. But BT Sport have more experience in being more open to taking on more partners to support it's business unlike Eir which have had a very bad track record with VM in more recent times.

The article is noting that this stake in BT Sport is being offered as a way to expand their broadband network in the UK. I'm thinking here that whichever partner has the funds to take on this new stake; it has to provide more substantial amounts of money to fund further investment in BT's Infinity broadband network in the UK.

If I was looking from a global business perspective; Amazon could be on the cards to eyeing this stake for BT Sport because Amazon are a multi-billion euro delivery company. However; I am struggling to see what incentives are on offer to BT Sport if they gave the new stake to Amazon. Maybe if Amazon would be able to take on more of BT Sport's PL matches for their UK audience; that move could enhance Premier Sports Ireland PL offering here in offering more matches to be shown on it's own channel.

If a traditional broadcaster in the UK was to eye up a stake for BT Sport. I reckon that it could be ITV because of their huge record in broadcasting CL/EL football before BT took their rights. BT Sport did overpay for those rights to broadcast those games in the UK & Ireland after previously taking them from ITV & Sky a few years ago. ITV have also recently taken on the new FA Cup rights deal with the BBC which is to begin in the UK later this year.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0FzZ-pWEAQkg2A?format=jpg&name=large

I really think ESPN would be the number one candidate, it would be squaring the circular - so as ESPN begat BT Sport, they would be the ones to end it.

I just think neither Amazon nor DAZN would want to take over a huge linear tv operation, nor that they would want into traditional broadcast TV on this scale. Amazon have always gone for small strategical important rights.

Who can say really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just as I suspected; ITV are in early talks to take up a stake in BT Sport.

https://www.tvbeurope.com/business/itv-leads-race-to-acquire-bt-sport-stake

There's talk of them taking back some UFEA Champions League matches again. This move could prove interesting if it comes true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Just as I suspected; ITV are in early talks to take up a stake in BT Sport.

https://www.tvbeurope.com/business/itv-leads-race-to-acquire-bt-sport-stake

There's talk of them taking back some UFEA Champions League matches again. This move could prove interesting if it comes true.

It would be great if ITV started showing the Champions League again.

Reported today in the London Times that ITV won’t be taking discussions in relation to BT Sport any further.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/itv-set-to-rule-out-takeover-of-bt-sport-7b7kzl6tr

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

icdg wrote: »
    Reported today in the London Times that ITV won’t be taking discussions in relation to BT Sport any further.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/itv-set-to-rule-out-takeover-of-bt-sport-7b7kzl6tr

Great news ITV are a shambles for sport. Would love to see Amazon take it over their sports coverage is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

icdg wrote: »

Interestingly ITV 4 are to carry full coverage of the French Moto GP, Moto 2 & 3 live next weekend - previously BT had exclusive coverage.

It's not known if this is a one off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What happens if no one is interested in buying a stake in Bt Sport?

Most likely nothing, BT hold on to it and try to sell it again when the market is better.

I think the chances of an eir Sport-type wind down situation is probably remote, and even more remote an instant shutdown (particularly as, at present, BT Sport has no separate legal existence from British Telecommunications plc meaning the core business would be sued for breach of contract).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭kheb

Where do people guess the Pro 16 next season will be shown in ROI, now that Eir is pulling out? Will Premier take it for all locations?

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

kheb wrote: »
    Where do people guess the Pro 16 next season will be shown in ROI, now that Eir is pulling out? Will Premier take it for all locations?

I would have thought if Premier were taking it then it would be announced by now as they are surely wanting to keep subscribers during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

kheb wrote: »

Heard a few weeks ago that RTE are the front runners with TG4 to be retaining their current selection of games (Irish V Welsh) but on an exclusive basis rather than alongside another broadcaster

I hasten to add, that was a few weeks ago

While we still wait to hear about the Pro14, the French Top14 is finally back on Irish TV with a two year deal (&remainder of this season) with Premier Sports, with some matches on FreeSports.

https://www.premiersports.com/sports/top-14-pr

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Interesting. Does this strengthen or weaken the idea that Premier will pick up the Pro14 here?

I think they’ll pick up some element but not all matches - it will be more like the 2014-18 situation, with Premier having a “Pick of the Week” game (or two) and the remainder being spread over the PSBs. Not sure why it is taking so long to conclude though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Interesting - the "BT Sport" Champions League package will also be shown here by the LiveScore app, which can be Chromecast:

https://www.the42.ie/livescore-champions-league-rights-republic-of-ireland-5455266-Jun2021/

U.K. not announced yet.

Meanwhile Premier Sports have picked up the rights to the Concacaf Gold Cup.

• Advertisement

posts relating to URC split to new thread

While we were away, Premier Sports unveiled a (semi-) new look, still sporting Setanta’s black and yellow colours but with a new logo tying in with their SPFL Cup sponsorship.

FreeSports return to the Sky EPG in Ireland now confirmed, channel 422 (recently vacated by eir Sport 2) from Tuesday. And in HD this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Stewball

It doesn’t seem to have happened yet, EPG changes are normally around 10am. Not sure what’s happened, the source was reputable (a post by a Sky employee on Sky’s own forum).

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/What-s-On/Changes-to-the-Sky-TV-guide-July-2021/td-p/3717011

Up and running now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Great to gave Freesport back

Pain going into other channels on the sky box

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

Hi all,

i fully enjoyed Serie A 2020-2021 (and also la Liga) on Premier Player and hoping to enjoy even more 21-22 (after Italy winning European). my subscription is up for renewal on 21-08-2021 and i checked with PP and got this reply

"Thanks for your email. 

I'm sorry to inform you that we have not yet received the confirmation to show the new season of Italian and Serie A game. The concerned team has requested you to keep an eye on the website for latest updates on https://www.premiersports.com/

For any offers/Promo code, kindly check our social media due to data protection. 

Regards

Premier Sports

Customer Service Representative

anybody knows more that I do on this?

thanks

It was mentioned in another thread that Serie A games had been shown on LiveScore last year, but I’m not sure of the details or particulars of that deal. It’s often happened with Serie A that the deal is only done close to the start of the season or beyond.

Still another season to run on the LaLiga deal with Premier Sports, while the existing Bundesliga deal (with BT rather than Premier) is also up and we are apparently to get an announcement any day now of a new deal, with someone other than BT.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Premier or BT have been showing bundesliga preseason games so id presume they're showing the league too, though who knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Premier have announced coverage of the DFB Pokal, which seems a fairly big indication they also have the Bundesliga rights:

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1420670778719211520

Gary Lineker meanwhile has signed with the Mediapro LaLigaTV channel, which Premier Sports distributes here. Somewhat of a big signing for them.

Serie A season starts 21-08-2021. I sure hope there will be some sort of indication before that. my subsciption is up for renewal on 23-08-2021, so I am hoping to either renew or cancel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ya i hope Premier Sports will have too as i hate livescore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭Acosta

I've never watched anything on Livescore, but I can only assume you would be able to cast streams of Serie A or any other competitions they may get the rights to in the future, as they are making a casting option available for their champions league coverage?

Hopefully Bundesliga and Serie A rights holders are announced soon, so I can think about subscriptions(if any). I cut it all off for the summer.

The lack of announcement for the Bundesliga is fairly annoying as Bundesliga 2 started last weekend and there's currently no UK channel broadcasting it. There's lots of big teams in at this season.

Bundesliga now confirmed as gone to Sky. I’m not sure you’re going to see any Second Division games, because only two First Division games (Gladbach v Bayern, Dortmund v Frankfurt) are being broadcast on the first weekend. They do say that there may be other games on red button/YouTube etc but obviously 2:30pm KOs (of which there are five in the first weekend) are out.

Post edited by icdg on

Is the ridiculous 3pm Saturday blackout back this season?

• Advertisement

Yes. Crowds allowed back at matches in England so the rationale for the blackout is back too.

Advertisement